Line Combos: Ryan Nugent Hopkins should Center the 3rd line.

JBear

Mar 26, 2014
Totally agree. But it's more like spreading out our suckiness.

We have 3 competent centers who are all capable of carrying their own lines.

We definitely need to use it to mask our inadequecies at wing.

Nuge can be the extra attacker, stay on PP1, and double shifted late in the game when the bench is shortened situationally in the top 6 when we trail.

Our wingers aren't bad for lines 3 & 4 when matched when a decent center but yes we lack a top 6 winger excluding Yamamoto. Turris hopefully can fly free and score along side McDavid and Ennis does well along Nuge and Kassian. But this is all conjecture as Tippett is being a bit stubborn right now..

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
We have 4 players which contribute consistently and the answer is .... Let's reduce the ice time for one of them.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Our depth is getting absolutely carved right now.
Our bottom 6 are the suckiest sucks that ever sucked. Turris clearly isn't the answer.

We need to spread the suck to other lines, in hopes to get them going because our bottom 6 xGF is f***ing heinous where the top 2 are ridiculously stacked.

Has anyone else noticed our depth getting absolutely thrashed the second TMac converted RNH to wing?

Sure he adds a significant punch to our top 6, but man, we need help back there in a BIG way.
He's been mostly a positive corsi player despite lugging around Lucic.

He could be an absolutely DEADLY 3rd line player similar to how Toffoli is scorching our division against the weaker matchups. It will give Tippett the ability to roll 3 lines without fear of getting carved.

Neal - McD - Kassian
Kahun - Drai - Puljujaarvi
Ennis - RNH - Yamamoto
Nygard - Turris - Shore

Top 6 isn't NEARLY as sexy, but they're not going to get thrashed in with McDrai still up there. He's a stat-padding luxury up there more than actually helping to contribute to wins.

We can still stack the top 2 lines situationally, but our depth problems can definitely be solved internally. We AREN'T getting depth help through a trade this season.

Oh no, a Nral McDavid Kassian combo. McDavid demand a trade whitin hours..

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Chiason is eorthless offensivly, but use him as a 4th liner.

Maybe a meathead line, men hise workefbout in the 99s, but less now on the 2020’s, but worth a try.

Chiason - Shore - Kassian. just out and play gross ugly hockey.

A third line with ”can keep NHL pace” players, Ennis Turris Neal. NHL routine.

Top 6 of german duo + Pulju
and top line of Nuge McDavid Yamamoto
Its time to get Yamamoto with McDavid.
They are both youngsters, think hockey kn the same way? maybe there is a find?

McDavid nees to find who he can play with.
Draisaitl is the same player whoever he plays with.
And we need to. fins how Nuge plays his best hockey.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
except the part where they arent even scoring.
none of RNH, McD and Pulju are + players so they arent outscoring at ES.
Kahun has 0G and Drai 1 ES goal.

Yama has 3 ES goals and is a + player but like I said 1 was unassisted and the other by McDavid.

As a line they arent outscoring or even scoring. Mostly individual efforts by McD, Yama or Drai aside from PP.
5 vs 5 McDavid has been on the ice for 8GF and 6GA. Nuge is 7GF and 7GA. Bu if you look at high danger events for McDavd it is 47 for 19 against, and for Nuge it is 41 for 18 against. That puts that line at the top for generating high danger chances. Yet the high danger goal numbers are 6-4 and 6-5 for McDavid and Nuge respectively. Even if one does not put much stock into these sorts of stats it is hard to argue that these guys are losing the 5 vs 5 battle. Leon's line has a 4-1 advantage on high danger goals despite an nealy balanced number of chances vs the opposition.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Oh no, a Nral McDavid Kassian combo. McDavid demand a trade whitin hours..

If McDavid's line is going to continue to get a sheltered high OZ deployment, I don't see why Neal couldn't play 97. When he's been healthy, he's looked fine.

Neal-McDavid-Puljujarvi would be fine as a second line.

As for the main point of this thread, please no more RNH a the #3, he doesn't fit there. Sure he wouldn't get lit up as badly as Turris, but his offensive game get's completely neutered and vanilla.

This team needs someone like an Eller, Cizikas, or Bonino, someone who can put up some points, but can also survive being spammed with defensive zone starts and they won't look worse for it.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Love me some Yams and Drai tho OP. Last Oiler goal was scored by Turris-RNH- Kassian (maybe indeed a good 3rd line?)

Still I have to think: why not double shift McDavid into 3rd / 4th lines consistently? Let him literally carry the whole team (except for PK, 2nd line, and 2nd PP). Keep RNH on the 1st line, 1PP, 1PK.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Love me some Yams and Drai tho OP. Last Oiler goal was scored by Turris-RNH- Kassian (maybe indeed a good 3rd line?)

Still I have to think: why not double shift McDavid into 3rd / 4th lines consistently? Let him literally carry the whole team (except for PK, 2nd line, and 2nd PP). Keep RNH on the 1st line, 1PP, 1PK.

If we put Turris with skilled players he will produce

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
Time to maybe use some pics and prospects plus cap dump to bring in a winger for McDavid.
Put rnh third line center between Turris and Archibald

So selfies? Dick pics? Wives titty pics? What type of pics are you talking about exactly?

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Nuge is only effective when he’s playing with star players. If he’s expected to drive his own line, he’ll fail. Once everyone is healthy:

Kahun - McD - Turris
Nuge - Drai - Yammy
Nygard - Haas - JP
Ennis - Shore - Kassian

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Nuge is only effective when he’s playing with star players. If he’s expected to drive his own line, he’ll fail. Once everyone is healthy:

Kahun - McD - Turris
Nuge - Drai - Yammy
Nygard - Haas - JP
Ennis - Shore - Kassian

If you actually look at his numbers in ths regard it shows this statemnt to be false. For example, before McDavid came Nuge's individual were better without Hall than with him. T

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
We have 4 players which contribute consistently and the answer is .... Let's reduce the ice time for one of them.

This is like a few guys on the bottom who have been shot in the leg and are bleeding. Nuge has the bandaids in his pocket. He needs to go there and give these guys bandages.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
If you actually look at his numbers in ths regard it shows this statemnt to be false. For example, before McDavid came Nuge's individual were better without Hall than with him. T

I do not recall him ever driving his own line with any reasonable success.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I do not recall him ever driving his own line with any reasonable success.

We tend to remember things that reinforce our perception. And you are far from alone in your belief. Especially on this board where this exact same sentiment is repeated over and over whenever the team is not succeeding.

In Nuge's rookie season he had one of the most prodctive seasons by a rookie in years. Over the course of the season at ES his pts/60 was 1.93. In 355 minutes with Hemsky it was 1.79, wth Hall it was 1.51. What do those two guys have in common? They want the puck. Whenever Nuge has played with someone like these guys he has always played a complementary role. When he has been the best player on his line his individual numbers have gone up. This has been a consistent pattern throughout his career.

Reactions: Vagabond

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Honestly nuge's rookie year was amazing. I remember thinking he could pot 100 points like Nicholas Backstrom. Realistically and unfortunately, no. That shoulder injury of falling into the boards.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
That'd be my 2nd option. My first option would be to reunite the 2nd line from last season. Tipps is losing us games by messing with the chemistry. He broke up what was a success. Why the hell did he do it for. Don't say balance because the Team was winning. The Team since Tipps broke the combos not including Chicago is
4-10. When you include Chicago it's worse. It's 5-13. Give Bouchard a game. Give costly Koski a rest. Brutal coach.

Reactions: Oilhawks

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
We tend to remember things that reinforce our perception. And you are far from alone in your belief. Especially on this board where this exact same sentiment is repeated over and over whenever the team is not succeeding.

In Nuge's rookie season he had one of the most prodctive seasons by a rookie in years. Over the course of the season at ES his pts/60 was 1.93. In 355 minutes with Hemsky it was 1.79, wth Hall it was 1.51. What do those two guys have in common? They want the puck. Whenever Nuge has played with someone like these guys he has always played a complementary role. When he has been the best player on his line his individual numbers have gone up. This has been a consistent pattern throughout his career.

I will agree, that in his rookie season he played at a high level. Ever since, I’ve only seen a good complimentary player, but not one who will drive a line.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I will agree, that in his rookie season he played at a high level. Ever since, I’ve only seen a good complimentary playe]r, but not one who will drive a line.
It was not just in his rookie year. Most of the time until McDavid came time he was on the top line with Hall. But when Hall was hurt his individual numbers went up. Look for example at 2013-214 and 2014-2015. With Hall as his LW in 1257 minutes his ES number was 1.61 Pt/60. In 382 minutes with Pouliot as his LW it was 2.8. In 2017-2018 when supposedly he took off because half way through the year he started playing with McDavid his Pt/60 ES with Puljujarvi was 2.94 in 245 minutes, with Lucic was 3.01 in 219 minutes and with McDavid was 2.15.

This has been typical of his whole career. But people don't really remember these periods very well because when they watch him with guys like Hall, McDavid and Draisaitl they simply attest any success to them.

Last edited:

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Oilers are trying to be the leafs when they should be trying to be Pittsburgh.

Crosby-Malkin-Staal
McDavid-Drai-RNH

Nah, the Oilers should model themselves on the Lightning or Capitals. Load up the top 6 and find cheaper useful players for the bottom 6.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

Kahun - McD - Turris
Nuge - Drai - Yammy
Nygard - Haas - JP
Ennis - Shore - Kassian

He was competent running a line with Eberle and Lucic.

We don't need him to score 70 points, just need him to stop the bleeding.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Nah, the Oilers should model themselves on the Lightning or Capitals. Load up the top 6 and find cheaper useful players for the bottom 6.
You're not noticing who's in the Lightning bottom 6.

Our former #1 winger Pat Maroon took a massive paycut to play on that 4th line.

And Tyler Johnson frequently plays 3C. He's about as good as RNH, and considered way too overpaid at $5m AAV (Kuch out has moved him to 2nd line).

In 5 games, all of their depth players have multiple points.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
You're not noticing who's in the Lightning bottom 6.

Our former #1 winger Pat Maroon took a massive paycut to play on that 4th line.

And Tyler Johnson frequently plays 3C. He's about as good as RNH, and considered way too overpaid at $5m AAV.

This is where I tune you out. But the point is, loading up the top 2 lines is a perfectly valid and successful strategy. You just need the right complementary pieces and good defence/goaltending.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This is where I tune you out. But the point is, loading up the top 2 lines is a perfectly valid and successful strategy. You just need the right complementary pieces and good defence/goaltending.

I agree.

Except what do we do when we don't have the right complimentary pieces and trades are unfeasible?

How do we fix this problem internally?

I hope you're not suggesting that we keep letting the bottom 6 fail all 56 games rather than try Nuge back there?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I agree.

Except what do we do when we don't have the right complimentary pieces and trades are unfeasible?

How do we fix this problem internally?

I hope you're not suggesting that we keep letting the bottom 6 fail all 56 games rather than try Nuge back there?

No, I'm suggesting trying Benson/McLeod/others to fix the bottom 6 before we sink our top 6 to do the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad