Proposal: Ryan Leonard to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Montreal doesn’t have the assets to trade for Leonard. Guhle wouldn’t even bring back Mercer, let alone a top prospect like Leonard.

Maybe Slaf + Guhle would get Washington to listen but even then its doubtful
I am thinking Reinbacher + Habs 2024 1st and if that doesn't get it down then add Guhle at 50%.

• Haha
Reactions: viceroy

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I'd give Reinbacher for Leonard, or any od Montreal's prospect/pick for that matter.

But not #5 OA +

or

Reinbacher + 5 OA... This is nonsense.

Ledge And Dairy

There seem to be some concerns about Leonard committing to at least another year to BC. Last year, Philly offered Cutter Gauthier (same concerns) to Montreal for the #5 overall but it was turned down.

Hypothetical scenario: Leonard expressed the same concerns with Washington than Gauthier did with Philly and is unsure whether he wants to play there or not. IF the concerns are warranted, would a swap for our 2024 #5 overall be interesting for Washington?

I think Montreal would love to draft a RW but this draft is thin at wings and Washington could get a potential top pairing D with this pick.
That's quite the hypothetical considering the #1 concern with Gauthier was that Philly didn't want to sign him to an ELC a year ago while it's been made pretty clear that Washington wants to sign Leonard yesterday.

As for the logic, I think Washington wants players who can make an impact right away and you just simply aren't going to be getting that from defensemen in drafts 99% of the time. Defense prospects usually take at least 3-5 years before they make the NHL, let alone make a difference. Take the 2021 draft for example. All 3 of Hughes, Edvinsson, and Clarke started making their transition to the NHL this year in their D+3 seasons. While Hughes had some pretty instant success, the other 2 were eased into their roles. On the other hand Leonard could probably slide directly into a top 9 role and play 15+ minutes a night and get PP time.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I am thinking Reinbacher + Habs 2024 1st and if that doesn't get it down then add Guhle at 50%.
I am thinking the Canadiens are not going to trade the guy they selected #5 overall last June for a guy they chose not to select. Expecting the Habs to also throw in their 1st-round pick this year, or Kaiden Guhle (with money retained?!?!?!), is ridiculous.

Reactions: Guess

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Montreal doesn’t have the assets to trade for Leonard. Guhle wouldn’t even bring back Mercer, let alone a top prospect like Leonard.

Maybe Slaf + Guhle would get Washington to listen but even then its doubtful
Brian MacLellan would be fired immediately if he were to turn down that offer.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I am thinking the Canadiens are not going to trade the guy they selected #5 overall last June for a guy they chose not to select. Expecting the Habs to also throw in their 1st-round pick this year, or Kaiden Guhle (with money retained?!?!?!), is ridiculous.
It was a sarcasm .

Reactions: Baksfamous112

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I woudlnt be surprised if KH picked up Leonard in some kind of deal like Dach or Newhook. Hughes compared Leonard to the Tkachuk brothers, so i know he is high on him.

I seem to remember there was another connection between the two, something like he knew Leonard from before he was GM (played with his sons, maybe??). I cant seem to find anything on this right now though.
If Hughes that high on Leonard could have drafted him

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Or he liked Reinbacher just a bit more. Rumors were that Montreal really liked Smith, Reinbacher and Leonard
If Smith was available, i believe he would have been selected given Hughes familiarity and ties to him. It was unfortunate that Michkov was not selected by SJ.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
No. He is unavailable. They are happy seeing him continue developing in college. That freshman trio will gain more responsibility as sophomores and the chance to round out their games as guys like Gauthier and seniors leave the team.

The hypothetical scenario is pointless to debate. "If the world was falling and there were no other options, would you consider my long shot?" Fine, they;'d consider that gamed set of circumstances. What's the point of that, though? They aren't trading Leonard and really like him. They talk about him regularly. No sign of tensions.

Reactions: Chupacabra08

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
They don’t move the needle to move from 27-32 to 13-16. LD are dime a dozen. Dach; newhook aren’t needle movers.
More garbage. Dach and Newhook ARE scoring line forwards. But yes Harris, Barron don't likely get a 10 pick move in the 1st round to top 13-16 but it would be worth it to a team who needs defensive help.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I would keep Habs pick. Franchise defenseman could be available or #1 center. Offer Guhle or Wifi instead. If we can sign Leonard. Kind of a trade and sign deal.
They won't trade Guhle or Wifi. It would likely have to be lesser forwards or defensemen and some draft picks. Washington has no reason to be interested in that though.

Reactions: McJedi

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There seem to be some concerns about Leonard committing to at least another year to BC. Last year, Philly offered Cutter Gauthier (same concerns) to Montreal for the #5 overall but it was turned down.

Hypothetical scenario: Leonard expressed the same concerns with Washington than Gauthier did with Philly and is unsure whether he wants to play there or not. IF the concerns are warranted, would a swap for our 2024 #5 overall be interesting for Washington?

I think Montreal would love to draft a RW but this draft is thin at wings and Washington could get a potential top pairing D with this pick.
I guess this might depend on who is available at #5 and if the Capitals think that player is better than Leonard then sure but I think the Capitals are high on Leonard as they should be.

He isn't flashy but he does so many little things well and will be an excellent top 6 winger for a very long time who elevates in the playoffs and doesn't disappear.

He will also replace TJ Oshie very nicely in the top 6 as soon as next year 25-26 and could even have an impact this upcoming season if he decides to turn pro.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
No. He is unavailable. They are happy seeing him continue developing in college. That freshman trio will gain more responsibility as sophomores and the chance to round out their games as guys like Gauthier and seniors leave the team.

The hypothetical scenario is pointless to debate. "If the world was falling and there were no other options, would you consider my long shot?" Fine, they;'d consider that gamed set of circumstances. What's the point of that, though? They aren't trading Leonard and really like him. They talk about him regularly. No sign of tensions.
we can speculate but I se no reason why he wouldn't sign. The only reason to move him is if they want to go for it again next season and they would want veteran (s) then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad