Proposal: Ryan Leonard to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
No one is concerned. This is a hypothetical scenario on a fans forum. Its trade & rumors section is meant to discuss hypothetical scenarios. You know you don’t have to waste your time commenting on a thread if you don’t feel like it.

You literally started the post “there seem to be some concerns”.

Why not just say “what would the cost for Leonard be” instead of opening with some false, conjured information?

Discussing hypotheticals - great. Do it without the misinformation.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
In the hypothetical where Ryan Leonard does not want to play for the Capitals organization (there seems to be no evidence to support this notion) why would he be willing to play for the Canadiens instead? It would make more sense for him to want to play for the Sharks or Rangers and be with the guys he played with in juniors and college.

Reactions: CapsCrazyX17

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Interesting scenario, and as always it comes down to what Montreal thinks of Leonard and Washington's opinion of the guys left at #5.

But a trade like this happening wouldn't overly surprise me. The biggest question is why he wouldn't want to play in Washington.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
You don't trade a guy like Ryan Leonard unless you absolutely have to. Tons of guys go back for their sophomore seasons and are better players for it. Completely different than the Gauthier situation.

Reactions: Chainshot

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I feel like Demidov will slide like Michkov did.

For being russian? I dont know how much that plays in team's evaluations, but I got the sense that teams weren't touching Michkov because of his attitude and the shady things happening in his life, like the circumstances under which his dad died.

I haven't seen anything like that about Demidov and the only articles i've seen about him sliding from #2 OA had to do with this team or that team selecting a D instead.

Reactions: malcb33

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I don’t think Montreal has any interest in moving Dach anyway. He was on par with Suzuki in the last ~25 games stretch last year (and sometimes even much better) and he was, by far, our most dangerous forward during training camp and first game of the season. It’s unfortunate he didn’t get to show it more before being injured

Yeah i agree with this; Dach was looking very good after camp. It was to the point that i wonder how much difference he could have made on this season. Dach-Slaf had some good looks as a duo and i was psyched that htey would be a big bodied duo that is hard to play against (and this is before hte season slaf had).

I think the habs may have had a few more wins with Dach in the lineup. Suzuki may have had less pressure on him also, but i dont knwo if that means he woudl have had more points - just that Mtl would have more balanced offense.

Im psyched to see if Montreal is going to split up their first line or gets some better wingers for Dach.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I woudlnt be surprised if KH picked up Leonard in some kind of deal like Dach or Newhook. Hughes compared Leonard to the Tkachuk brothers, so i know he is high on him.

I seem to remember there was another connection between the two, something like he knew Leonard from before he was GM (played with his sons, maybe??). I cant seem to find anything on this right now though.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I woudlnt be surprised if KH picked up Leonard in some kind of deal like Dach or Newhook. Hughes compared Leonard to the Tkachuk brothers, so i know he is high on him.

I seem to remember there was another connection between the two, something like he knew Leonard from before he was GM (played with his sons, maybe??). I cant seem to find anything on this right now though.
Why would Leonard be available?

Reactions: viceroy

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I woudlnt be surprised if KH picked up Leonard in some kind of deal like Dach or Newhook.
If he is traded, everyone would be surprised, because there's absolutely no reason to think that Washington has any intention of trading him, or that Leonard has any intention of not signing.

Reactions: Baksfamous112
Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Doesn’t it suck that the other team has a say in the matter?

Reactions: viceroy and Grinner

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If he is traded, everyone would be surprised, because there's absolutely no reason to think that Washington has any intention of trading him, or that Leonard has any intention of not signing.
Can’t the same be said for ~80% of the trades?

Doesn’t it suck that the other team has a say in the matter?
What do you mean?

Asking for Leonard is as wayward as clueless folks asking for Guhle. There is no point. These players are not available.
You need to let the Guhle thing go. Why even bring him up?

A top prospect decided to go back to college when he could sign and play in the NHL playoff. It’s worth a discussion at the very least.

Anyway, don’t worry. Everything that is discussed on this forum has no impact whatsoever on the teams, players and trade in real life.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Can’t the same be said for ~80% of the trades?
Not really. Some trades come out of nowhere, but most of the trades at the deadline are expected. We don't know which teams are getting which players, but we generally know most of the players who will be moved.

This thread was created on the idea that Leonard is in a similar situation to Gauthier, which is completely unsubstantiated. That's not to say that he can't or won't be traded, but there's no reason to believe he will be, and people would rightfully surprised if it happened.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Not really. Some trades come out of nowhere, but most of the trades at the deadline are expected. We don't know which teams are getting which players, but we generally know most of the players who will be moved.

This thread was created on the idea that Leonard is in a similar situation to Gauthier, which is completely unsubstantiated. That's not to say that he can't or won't be traded, but there's no reason to believe he will be, and people would rightfully surprised if it happened.
Of course it is. I don’t disagree with you but it is at least worth having the conversation. Leonard could have signed and played in the NHL playoff. He probably know that he’s not going to get a lot of opportunity to do so in the future with where Washington is headed.

Again, highly unlikely and probably a nothing burger but we can at least discuss it.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Habs fans going to eat a lot of crow when they watch zegras at world championship

I think Zegras is phenomenal and would love to have him on our team but don't see a world where he fetches a 5th overall pick in this draft or last. I also just don't think it fits the needs of the Ducks to add another top 5 pick and have another 18 year old prospect.

I would be very pleased if whoever we draft at 5 have a D+1 season like Leonard just had. Plus, he play a position of need for Montreal (RW). The fit would be perfect.

It's not that Leonard isn't a good prospect or didn't have a great year - it's that you are likely passing on Demidov or Lindstrom for him and I just don't see a world where he would have that sort of value. Same with Zegras - these two guys are prospects that have a higher ceiling than both Zegras and Leonard regardless of how good they might be.

Parekh/Levshunov are both great picks in this draft, too - name the last 5 drafted #1RDs - Makar, Bouchard, Fox, Dobson and McAvoy? We can sit here and talk BPA all day long but every team needs a #1RD and very few teams have legitimately elite ones.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I would be very pleased if whoever we draft at 5 have a D+1 season like Leonard just had. Plus, he play a position of need for Montreal (RW). The fit would be perfect.

You’re wrong on Dach.

Easier said than done.
Dach has no trade value. Never healthy. Habs best to try to rehab him physically and cross their fingers he doesn’t break again next year.

No team would offer anything enticing for Dach today.

Not a play issue. Definitely a health one. He’s major risk for the team that owns his rights.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
There seem to be some concerns about Leonard committing to at least another year to BC. Last year, Philly offered Cutter Gauthier (same concerns) to Montreal for the #5 overall but it was turned down.

Hypothetical scenario: Leonard expressed the same concerns with Washington than Gauthier did with Philly and is unsure whether he wants to play there or not. IF the concerns are warranted, would a swap for our 2024 #5 overall be interesting for Washington?

I think Montreal would love to draft a RW but this draft is thin at wings and Washington could get a potential top pairing D with this pick.

Where are you getting these "concerns" from? Is there a source you can provide to support this "concern"?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You need to let the Guhle thing go. Why even bring him up?

A top prospect decided to go back to college when he could sign and play in the NHL playoff. It’s worth a discussion at the very least.

Anyway, don’t worry. Everything that is discussed on this forum has no impact whatsoever on the teams, players and trade in real life.
Stick to reality. Trade for Leonard? What kind of stupidity is that?

How about Trade for Bedard.

The OP's scenario asks if he is. My point is that mtl would surely be interested.
I would be more interested in Bedard, if he was available. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad