Ryan Kesler vs Mike Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.

bure94

Brad said:
I never said he was better, but to compare them on the basis of where they played when they're in completely different situations and systems in asinine.

Then stop responding to my retort towards liquidrage. If you're responding then by causation you're agreeing with him.

Liquidrage said:
And Richards is now and always will be the better player.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Both will be very good players. Richards may have more offensive potential, while Kesler is bigger and a better skater.

Brad*

bure94 said:
Then stop responding to my retort towards liquidrage. If you're responding then by causation you're agreeing with him.

What kind of logic is that?

Is that a joke?

Large_Farva*

Give me Richards over Kesler anyday. When Kesler was drafted he was an NHL ready, 3rd line potential player... that hasn't changed.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
bure94 said:
Are you having a bit of a problem with your reading comprehension? You said that Kesler is better then Richards because he's played in the NHL. I can tell you that Milan Michalek has played in the NHL and Dion Phaneuf has not. Does that mean that Michalek is clearly the better player at this point (and note, they were picked 3 picks apart). I can also tell you that after this year, numerous players from the 2004 draft with have NHL experience and Malkin will not, does that mean they are all better then him? The fact that Kesler only managed to score 5 points in 28 games gives a good indication that he wasn't ready to be a big contributer at the NHL level, maybe he would have been better off developing elsewhere. Just because the flyers chose to give a guy more time in the OHL and then the AHL playoffs (Note Playoff Stats:
Mike Richards 14 GP 7 G 8 A 15 Points Ryan Kesler 14 GP 4 G 5 A 9 P)

That's not even factoring in that the flyers are clearly much deeper down the middle then Vancouver and have a guy who will remain in the AHL who out produced Kesler last year (Vancouver fans probably heard of him, he goes by Umberger, RJ).

At this point, do you understand how rediculous it is to say a guy is better then another because he has NHL experience and the other guy doesn't (when the guy with NHL experience didn't do anything at that level)?

bure94

Brad said:
What kind of logic is that?

Is that a joke?

Your post agrees with liquidrage therefore you agree with him that Richards is now the better player.

I can't make it any more simpler to understand.

Anyway, Kesler is the better player NOW, and will be the better player LATER.

Period.

Liquidrage*

bure94 said:
Your post agrees with liquidrage therefore you agree with him that Richards is now the better player.

I can't make it any more simpler to understand.

Anyway, Kesler is the better player NOW, and will be the better player LATER.

Period.

First of all, there was sarcasm in my post as I basically just repeated what was said earlier which was that the person decided to state that this thread was beatend to death but couldn't help but put in their two cents on the issue while stating that.

Second of all, yes, I'll take Richards any day of Kesler. You won't? Good for you. We'll see this year.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Why does everybody get so worked up when people make moronic comments? Why bother arguing with them? I just chuckle and move on. :clap:

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
We had the argument before and the argument every Canucks fan used why Kesler was better was because he had AHL success and Richards hadn't.

Now, even after Richards spanked Kesler in terms of performance in the NHL playoff performance they still argue Kesler is better when clearly he is the 2nd best prospect in this comparison.

SedinFan*

Large_Farva said:
Give me Richards over Kesler anyday. When Kesler was drafted he was an NHL ready, 3rd line potential player... that hasn't changed.

Actually it has.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Kesler=Richards

Stop bringing this damn topic up. They're games are totally different. Richards owns more offensive potential, but not by much. Kesler owns more defensive potential, but not by much. Both are fantastic leaders, and will be captains of their respective teams in the future.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Russian_fanatic said:
Kesler owns more defensive potential, but not by much.

I can't agree with this, Richards is the best shutdown prospect I have seen. A guy who truly dominates defensively and can dominate a penalty kill.

Deleted member 3032

bure94 said:
Beacuse they're both the same players at #59 and #7 respectively
:shakehead.

:help: I suggest you take the night off, come back tomorrow, read your posts over again and try and figure out if any of your "logic" makes sense to you tomorrow.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
GagneOwnsYou said:
I can't agree with this, Richards is the best shutdown prospect I have seen. A guy who truly dominates defensively and can dominate a penalty kill.

Richards was voted best PKer in the OHL (by the leagues coaches)twice, unanimously. Unbelievably central scouting rated him a C- on his defensive play before the 2003 draft (and gave him high marks everywhere else). IMO the only thing you can fault him for is being smaller than Kesler, and an average skater.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
Bure94 has been blocked by a large portion of the canucks board... feel free to join the club. theres enough room for everyone on this bandwagon.

As for the topic.

Kesler will have a stronger season next year than richards, but if mike gets his wheels going over th enext few years and scores some goals with that shot of his, he will definatly be the more valuable player. Though value is in the eye of the beholder. They will mean different things to their teams and if Richards turns into an offensive power house their roles will be very different and they will no longer even be comparable.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
GagneOwnsYou said:

Also agree here. I've seen him practically kill penalties all by himself by working the diamond head.

He anticipates the play in the defensive end better then any prospect I've ever seen.

Roger's Pancreas*

Draft Guru said:
Why does everybody get so worked up when people make moronic comments? Why bother arguing with them? I just chuckle and move on. :clap:

Other posters argue with these moronic comments for the credibility of this board.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't quite understand why people are saying Kesler is the better defensive prospect. Not only was it already mentioned that Mike was the best PK in the OHL 2 straight years, but I've heard many say he's the best penalty killer they've ever seen. I don't see Mike putting up big offensive numbers this season because he's behind the best 1-2-3 center combo in the NHL, but he is a very talented play making center who is gritty as can be and willing to do anything to win. Not to mention he steps up his play a notch or two come playoff time. I'm very content with the Richards pick, in fact i'm pretty much content with every pick the flyers made in that entire draft.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Brock said:
Also agree here. I've seen him practically kill penalties all by himself by working the diamond head.

He anticipates the play in the defensive end better then any prospect I've ever seen.
I'll make it three, and to throw some stats to back it up -- Richards led the OHL in shorthanded goals last year, and was tied for lead in the AHL in playoff shorthanded goals - and this was his first exposure to that level of hockey.

He's an outstanding defensive player, and should get a chance in the next couple of years to show the offensive side of his game more (I don't expect him to get a lot of ice time this year with the centres in front of him).

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
At this point would have to put Kesler ahead

1. Richards played a key role winning the World Juniors in 2005 and Kesler played a key role in winning the World Juniors in 2004. I would say that their roles were equal but Kesler did it a year earlier.

2. Kesler got a invite to the US National Team Tryouts and Richards was not invited (not close to being invited) to the Canadian National Team tryouts

3. Kesler scored 30 goals last year playing with pros in the AHL (enriched during the strike year) and Richards scored 22 goals playing with Junior players. (albeit a shorten year)

4. Kesler is bigger and stronger. He is legit 6'2" and apparently 215 and growing while Richards is maybe 6" and around 190. Richards looks to be filled out as much as he will get.

5. Last year Kesler was the top defensive center on the Moose and was matched up against people like Spezza on a consistent basis. Richards has not, outside ot the playoffs, played against anything like that type competition

Both Kesler and Richards bring intangibles. Both are very competitive and show good leadership.

However, if you look into the future I think it is very hard to call. Richards probably has better offensive skills. I think his playoff performance in both the OHL and the AHL showed his high skill level. I think he can create more offense than Kesler. However, there is a question about Richards skating. He will have to show a better turn of speed if he expects to do much in the NHL. He just might get smothered in terms of size and speed. When you compare him to someone like Carter you can see the difference. In the longrun Richards skating will probably be good enough to make him a good NHLer. But that is no given. There have been plenty of players who, while not great skaters, have been excellent Juniors. However this deficiency caught up with them when they got to the NHL.

There is no doubt that Kesler's skating is NHL calibre. He will be good NHLer. However, he might not ever be the scorer that Richards could become. The Canucks may have to settle for a Linden type player who contributes in many areas but not all the time on the scoreboard.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
"It's deja vu all over again"

My head hurts. How about we come back here and try again in another, oh 2+ years....

jixxsaw

Aug 11, 2005
orcatown said:
At this point would have to put Kesler ahead

1. Richards played a key role winning the World Juniors in 2005 and Kesler played a key role in winning the World Juniors in 2004. I would say that their roles were equal but Kesler did it a year earlier.

2. Kesler got a invite to the US National Team Tryouts and Richards was not invited (not close to being invited) to the Canadian National Team tryouts

3. Kesler scored 30 goals last year playing with pros in the AHL (enriched during the strike year) and Richards scored 22 goals playing with Junior players. (albeit a shorten year)

4. Kesler is bigger and stronger. He is legit 6'2" and apparently 215 and growing while Richards is maybe 6" and around 190. Richards looks to be filled out as much as he will get.

5. Last year Kesler was the top defensive center on the Moose and was matched up against people like Spezza on a consistent basis. Richards has not, outside ot the playoffs, played against anything like that type competition

Both Kesler and Richards bring intangibles. Both are very competitive and show good leadership.

However, if you look into the future I think it is very hard to call. Richards probably has better offensive skills. I think his playoff performance in both the OHL and the AHL showed his high skill level. I think he can create more offense than Kesler. However, there is a question about Richards skating. He will have to show a better turn of speed if he expects to do much in the NHL. He just might get smothered in terms of size and speed. When you compare him to someone like Carter you can see the difference. In the longrun Richards skating will probably be good enough to make him a good NHLer. But that is no given. There have been plenty of players who, while not great skaters, have been excellent Juniors. However this deficiency caught up with them when they got to the NHL.

There is no doubt that Kesler's skating is NHL calibre. He will be good NHLer. However, he might not ever be the scorer that Richards could become. The Canucks may have to settle for a Linden type player who contributes in many areas but not all the time on the scoreboard.
:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad