Ryan Johansen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
blahblah said:
Are you claiming with this post that Johansen has a confidence problem? If so, I don't see it. I see him developing, so I don't see any issue there.
No, but I'm claiming that it is not beyond the realm of possibility that he could develop one over time. It's a fact that you, I, and everyone else has to consider.

Here is a direct quote from him at the beginning of last season:
“They would keep telling me that I had an extra gear, that I just needed to use it more,” Johansen said. “You know what? I got sick and tired of people telling me that. Obviously, they were trying to help me, but I don’t want to hear that again.
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...er--plays-in-opener.html#sthash.kf2thjen.dpuf

What they need to balance is him being optimistic but not growing complacent with where he is right now. It's good that he's a 3rd line center at the NHL level. Fair or not, however, he was a 4th overall pick so it's not good enough.

Let's compare him to Cam Atkinson. Johansen's stock rose very quickly, he went from not even considering the CHL to being a primary producer on a very talented Portland team. He then shot up the draft rankings and was taken 4th overall. Atkinson, on the other hand, was taken in 2008 in the 6th round. He played in the NCAA. At 5'8" and as a 6th round pick, nobody expected very much of him. Yet he took it upon himself to be a Hobey Baker finalist. He then produced at a PPG pace in the AHL. Now, at the NHL, he's making things happen every night on a top line with Marian Gaborik.

One player has size, came from a very good CHL team, and was drafted extremely high. The other is small, went the college route, and learned about his being drafted while sitting at home. Why is one succeeding in becoming a top line scorer while the other isn't? It's quite literally a case of one player complaining that coaches tell him he needs to be doing better while another talks about how coaches said he should be doing worse.

To put it all together, Johansen seems to be a classic case of "all the tools but no tool-box." What some posters seem to be saying is that they want to attempt to kick-start his toolbox by putting him on a line with Gabby and Atkinson to rack up some points. They are also worried that he may not get that "jump" by playing on a line with guys like Umberger and Foligno who, no offense to them, aren't really the guys who are going to spark a young player to a 50+ point season. The usual reason for not throwing a young player on a top line is because you're worried they can't handle the minutes or opposition. We know Johansen can handle the minutes and we know he can match up against other teams' top lines. So what if it doesn't mean increased production for the team, sparking Johansen can then lead him onto production by himself in the near future which WOULD.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
That eye for talent goes a long way toward explaining how Gretzky drove the Coyotes into the ground.

The smart-ass comment isn't really necessary. It doesn't change how Manny was regarded. I've seen raves about his 92 point pace in the Memorial Cup. The were were many scouts who loved Manny as a big two-way center his draft year.

He was picked high in the first round, someone besides Gretzky loved his talent.

I hope Johansen can become a top line offensive center who plays a 200 ft game. All I'm saying today is that so far there are definite parallels between the two.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Johansen is there... he's a significant part of the CBJ now....

If we can limp through at .500 until Calvert is back and Nathan is healed we will be fine... Oh, 13 must stay healthy too..

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Johansen is there... he's a significant part of the CBJ now....

If we can limp through at .500 until Calvert is back and Nathan is healed we will be fine... Oh, 13 must stay healthy too..

I think we should expect to play with injuries, I don't know if the Jackets man-games lost has always been above average, but at this point I don't expect a healthy roster. By the time Calvert and Horton are playing someone else will be on the shelf.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
No, but I'm claiming that it is not beyond the realm of possibility that he could develop one over time. It's a fact that you, I, and everyone else has to consider.

I'll read the rest later; maybe. Why would you think, for a second, that no one would consider a loss of confidence? However, it's not a fact.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think he is where he should be for now. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The Foligno-Joey-Umby line has been ok to pretty good the last few games. Why screw with it. I'm not convinced he is ready to be a #1 center yet. Let him develop more where he is.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Why get so hung up on first line, second line, third line labels. The fact is it's all about situation play. It's about match-ups. Ice time, assignments and even line composition is going to vary from opponent to opponent, and period to period. This team is built (at this time) to play a style of play based on effort and the ability to roll three aggressive hard working lines and the energy line. 1A, 1B, 1C if you will, or in the case of the Jackets more like 2A, 2B, and 2C. Everybody works, everybody checks, everybody defends. Who cares what order the Dispatch lists them in?

XLJ

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, the only reason he hasn't put up more points is because his linemates are awful.

Johansen should be playing with Gabby. Perhaps Gabby AND AA should play on the same line as Johansen.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...

Anisimov-Johansen-Gaborik
Atkinson-Dubinsky-Horton

That would be a really good top 6 once Horton is healthy. Letestu can center the third line.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think he is where he should be for now. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The Foligno-Joey-Umby line has been ok to pretty good the last few games. Why screw with it. I'm not convinced he is ready to be a #1 center yet. Let him develop more where he is.

Perhaps you mean Comeau-Joey-Umby? Foligno got moved to the Arty-Gaby line.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Why get so hung up on first line, second line, third line labels. The fact is it's all about situation play. It's about match-ups. Ice time, assignments and even line composition is going to vary from opponent to opponent, and period to period. This team is built (at this time) to play a style of play based on effort and the ability to roll three aggressive hard working lines and the energy line. 1A, 1B, 1C if you will, or in the case of the Jackets more like 2A, 2B, and 2C. Everybody works, everybody checks, everybody defends. Who cares what order the Dispatch lists them in?

I agree, the line # doesn't matter so much given the way the coach uses them. But who your linemates are matters.

Atkinson-Dubinsky-Horton

That would be a really good top 6 once Horton is healthy. Letestu can center the third line.

droolworthy.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
The smart-ass comment isn't really necessary. It doesn't change how Manny was regarded. I've seen raves about his 92 point pace in the Memorial Cup. The were were many scouts who loved Manny as a big two-way center his draft year.

He was picked high in the first round, someone besides Gretzky loved his talent.

I hope Johansen can become a top line offensive center who plays a 200 ft game. All I'm saying today is that so far there are definite parallels between the two.

I also remember John Muckler (who coached the Rangers at the time) saying during his rookie season that he would never be anything more than a third-liner. In his draft year, Malhotra scored 16 goals and was tied for 6th in scoring on his team with former CBJ legend Kent McDonell.

I remember the hype that he could be a top-line center, but I have to wonder how much of that was the NYR front office trying to sell bullplop to the fans when it was obvious that the team was going to be entering a rebuilding cycle.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I also remember John Muckler (who coached the Rangers at the time) saying during his rookie season that he would never be anything more than a third-liner. In his draft year, Malhotra scored 16 goals and was tied for 6th in scoring on his team with former CBJ legend Kent McDonell.

I remember the hype that he could be a top-line center, but I have to wonder how much of that was the NYR front office trying to sell bullplop to the fans when it was obvious that the team was going to be entering a rebuilding cycle.

Muckler... oh my.... next is Punch Imlach.... ;)

btw.... Bowman still owns a home in Buffalo..... ugh.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Because it's the internet, and if we can't rank it in some way, it's not worth discussing...

Agree wholeheartedly. He's getting good minutes, learning and being put in a position to both use his talent and grow as a player. I'm not sure I want to expect much more out of a 21 year old center.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Atkinson-Dubinsky-Horton

To be honest, I'd rather start with Johansen with Horton.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Because it's the internet, and if we can't rank it in some way, it's not worth discussing...

2qdy5o0.gif

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I've been critical of Joey. He has really taken a step lately. He has been far more aggressive. He's playing with a purpose. His faceoff skills are excellent. He can do a lot of things to make a difference in a game. I don't care if he ends up being a 1C or a hybrid all around beast. He has the potential to be a good player here for a long time.

5StringBuzz

May 10, 2007
Columbus, OH
Tonight was yet another game where I thought Joey looked really good. He was sniffing around the net all night, had some great plays, was strong on the puck, and strong in the circle. I hope he can keep it up for the long haul, but for now, he's looking pretty darn good.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
^He is definitely getting strong carrying the puck and usuing his size and strength keeping the puck using his backside to protect it while cycyling or looking to pass (something he may have learned watching Nash, yes I said it). His faceoff ability is very good.

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
Tonight was yet another game where I thought Joey looked really good. He was sniffing around the net all night, had some great plays, was strong on the puck, and strong in the circle. I hope he can keep it up for the long haul, but for now, he's looking pretty darn good.

Agreed.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
^He is definitely getting strong carrying the puck and usuing his size and strength keeping the puck using his backside to protect it while cycyling or looking to pass (something he may have learned watching Nash, yes I said it). His faceoff ability is very good.

I really do think part of his success this year is him finally gaining the confidence to do what he did in Portland, in the NHL. Hes gained the muscle and skill set to do it with the big boys and he's finally realizing after last year he can dominate at this level as well if he just goes into the Dirty areas more

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
I've been critical of Joey. Never doubted his skill set, just attitude. Attitudes can be adjusted. Here's to hoping his is. He can be a monster for this team. It would appear whatever issues were present in the past are under control. Further reminder that these are BOYS when they are drafted. Maturity, both physical and emotional can make a huge difference. Not every 17-18 year old kid has the composure of Toews or Crosby.

Crow tastes great, BTW.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I've been critical of Joey. Never doubted his skill set, just attitude. Attitudes can be adjusted. Here's to hoping his is. He can be a monster for this team. It would appear whatever issues were present in the past are under control. Further reminder that these are BOYS when they are drafted. Maturity, both physical and emotional can make a huge difference. Not every 17-18 year old kid has the composure of Toews or Crosby.

Crow tastes great, BTW.

as of this moment, i'll take a side of it too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad