Prospect Info: Ryan Francis, 143rd Overall

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted by the Cape Breton (Screaming) Eagles in the second round, 21st overall, in the 2017 QMJHL Draft, forward Ryan Francis broke out in his third year in the league. He put up 24 goals and 48 assists for 72 points in 61 games before the season was cancelled due to COVID-19. Francis also played one game for Team QMJHL in the Canada-Russia Super Series.

The Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia native took some time to find his legs in the QMJHL. In 2017-18 he put up 11 goals and 23 assists for 34 points in 58 games as a rookie. Francis also added one assist in five playoff games. In 2018-19, Francis scored 10 goals and 22 assists for 32 points in 64 games for Cape Breton. He also added two assists in nine playoff games as the Eagles were eliminated by the Rimouski Oceanic in the second round.

Prior to joining the QMJHL, Francis played for the Cole Harbour Wolfpack. With 17 goals and 51 points in 37 games in 2016-17, he was named the NSMMHL Rookie of the year. He also played for Team Nova Scotia in the QGC Cup, scoring two goals and 10 points in five games.

Ryan Francis Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #102

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ryan Francis will be Eric's favorite player in the Flames organization. I'll let you guess why. Hint, think like your in grade 3.

I see London, I see Francis, I see Eric's underpantses?

Reactions: Corpus X

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Poirier's skating there looks like the squirts I coached trying to learn to skate backwards. Wiggle those feet like your life depends on it little dude!

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
So the Flames were high enough on Francis to:
Draft him
and
Sign him to an AHL tryout to get him on the Heat early

But within that time frame (he was on the AHL team THIS year) the fact that he got passed by a guy who had a 116 point season is enough to not even sign him and see if the potential he had at 19 isn't at all still there after starting the Q season late thanks to playing 4 games in the A?

Especially when the Flames could be losing--Froese, Gawdin, Kirkland, and Philp to UFA, Tuulola (rumoured) to be going to Europe, and with Ruzicka, Phillips, and possibly Pelletier coming up to the NHL, can the Flames not use a contract spot on this guy get him in the AHL and at least give him more than 4 games?

I don't want to suggest that him starting in the A, getting 4 games and 0 points, and then returning to a team that had replaced him with Dufour and other strong players, had a negative impact, but it seems hard to believe that would help him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think... even though there's an expected departure of prospect talent, I think there's also an expected influx to the AHL specifically that might have caused Francis to be buried anyways which would not bode well for his development anyways. Rather than do that, let him go back through the draft and let him get an opportunity to get development time on another team who can afford to give him one.

Yes, we might lose Froese, Gawdin, Kirkland, Philp and Tuulola. Yes, Ruzicka, Phillips and Pelletier may graduate. But maybe management is expecting a significant combination of MEP, Coronato, Kerins, Nikolayev, Beck, Stromgren, Ciona, Klapka etc. which doesn't leave much room for him. Potentially there are some additional UFA signings who will jump straight to the AHL that make them want that contract room? Additionally, I think we are also moving the Heat to Calgary and if management is expecting to make a few trades that involve us getting prospects back, then maybe this sudden sweep could make a ton of sense?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Yeah don't get this one. Unless there was some significant friction between the org and the player there isn't a lot of reason to not get him a contract. He's certainly good enough to play in the A next season. Hard to speculate as to why they were unable or unwilling to sign him.

I think... even though there's an expected departure of prospect talent, I think there's also an expected influx to the AHL specifically that might have caused Francis to be buried anyways which would not bode well for his development anyways. Rather than do that, let him go back through the draft and let him get an opportunity to get development time on another team who can afford to give him one.

Yes, we might lose Froese, Gawdin, Kirkland, Philp and Tuulola. Yes, Ruzicka, Phillips and Pelletier may graduate. But maybe management is expecting a significant combination of MEP, Coronato, Kerins, Nikolayev, Beck, Stromgren, Ciona, Klapka etc. which doesn't leave much room for him. Potentially there are some additional UFA signings who will jump straight to the AHL that make them want that contract room? Additionally, I think we are also moving the Heat to Calgary and if management is expecting to make a few trades that involve us getting prospects back, then maybe this sudden sweep could make a ton of sense?

I'd be a little surprised if Froese and Kirkland aren't back. Both played big roles on the Heat this year and played them well. Froese will be a career AHLer but Kirkland got a long look at last year's camp and will again if he is still here. Gawdin, Philp, Tuulola could go either way, probably unlikely all 3 are retained.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah don't get this one. Unless there was some significant friction between the org and the player there isn't a lot of reason to not get him a contract. He's certainly good enough to play in the A next season. Hard to speculate as to why they were unable or unwilling to sign him.

I'd be a little surprised if Froese and Kirkland aren't back. Both played big roles on the Heat this year and played them well. Froese will be a career AHLer but Kirkland got a long look at last year's camp and will again if he is still here. Gawdin, Philp, Tuulola could go either way, probably unlikely all 3 are retained.

Indeed. I was just saying that if MEP and Coronato for instance might fast track on top of whoever else is on track to reach the AHL, then Francis could get buried and be the odd man out/development derailed anyways. The only way I can really think as to why he wasn't signed is the friction you mentioned and/or perhaps it's to do him a solid so wherever he is drafted, he might get more playing time.

I get the confusion you guys have as well. I'm just stating that this is what I'm thinking what might be the case where it logically makes sense for both sides?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Indeed. I was just saying that if MEP and Coronato for instance might fast track on top of whoever else is on track to reach the AHL, then Francis could get buried and be the odd man out/development derailed anyways. The only way I can really think as to why he wasn't signed is the friction you mentioned and/or perhaps it's to do him a solid so wherever he is drafted, he might get more playing time.

I get the confusion you guys have as well. I'm just stating that this is what I'm thinking what might be the case where it logically makes sense for both sides?

Could be I guess. Haven't heard anything from the org on it but maybe one of the 960 guys will ask the front office.

MEP is already with the Heat and I believe Coronato committed to another year at Harvard. It just bugs me that for a pool light on C prospects, particularly RH C prospects, we're just letting this one walk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This is a weird one for sure. There were a few here paying attention to him that were excited at how he was coming along.

I trust our amateur evaluators of talent more than our pro scouting staff so maybe there's something else going on. But yeah, weird

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Could be I guess. Haven't heard anything from the org on it but maybe one of the 960 guys will ask the front office.

MEP is already with the Heat and I believe Coronato committed to another year at Harvard. It just bugs me that for a pool light on C prospects, particularly RH C prospects we're just letting this one walk.

Yep. The RHS aspect when we are so lean in that category boggles the mind as well.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Guys; there could definitely be more in play than the organization just unwilling to sign him.
It sucks that he wasn't signed, I'm curious to know more as to why.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I mean how often does the 4th or 5th best player on a junior team make the show? We have a lot of prospects that need another contract because they are close to the NHL. He didn't show enough growth for a 5th round pick to get a contract IMO.

Reactions: super6646

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad