Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I understand that this is a worry. But from everything I've read, there was zero chance he wasn't signing with the Bruins at some point, whether now, this summer, or next year. Sure he/his agents could have bluffed and threatened to go UFA, but I have trouble believing they'd actually go through with it. He literally said at the draft in 2014 that it was a dream come true to be drafted by the Bruins.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed in Sweeney for the first time in a while. I look at the situation like a game of chicken, and Sweeney swerved first. The fact that he signed the day after his season ended tells me Sweeney really didn't try to go the ATO route and then ELC begins next year. I imagine they've been in secret negotiations for a while and Sweeney tried to sell that option, but it just seems there wasn't much effort put in.

I also have to disagree with the bolded. I'd love to be able to eat crow on this, but I don't see it this year. In the future, certainly, but not right now. I think we all got enamored by his performance at the Olympics against some low quality competition. He's a good prospect, but I think he's become a little overhyped. I mean, we didn't even vote him as a top ten Bruins prospect at the beginning of the year. We probably undervalued him then, but are overvaluing him now.

Sure, I can't say I'm not excited to see what he can do, but having that extra cheap ELC year and not having to protect him for the expansion draft would have been huge.

"We" have nothing to do with it! It's up to those in charge not we. I don't care really about hype etc. I think he's a great prospect but yes, he may dissapoint but that's the chance every team takes with every prospect. He has a great bloodline and a fantastic resume. At 21, even if it takes a few years to reach his highest potential I advise to enjoy the ride.

Reactions: HOLDEN44FAN

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don’t agree. I think he’s the real deal and they wanted him in the NHL lineup ASAFP.

Plus, wouldn’t be cecome a UFA if he just signed an ATO?

No, he doesn’t become a UFA. He signs the ATO for this season and plays in PRO, with the ELC kicking in next year. This is what Heinen did, McAvoy, DeBrusk, and more recently Freddy and Hughes.

With McAvoy because of injury they put the ELC into effect after only a couple AHL games and brought him up to the NHL.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Not sure why anyone with solid footing in the lineup/roster would have a problem or care? The fact that he was a standout at the Olympics probably helps push the narrative that it's a "now" addition. And possibly a big one at that.

He should be relatively fresh as well, if he ever sees NHL action that is. 82 game regular season is a grind.

Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle. Hope he gets a shot.

They will care in that room I figure because they have been going to war to get go this point with a shot at division and all of a sudden during the stretch run you have a 21 year old kid with zero experience you are going to be counting on.They might not say it but you can bet some think it. He is playing tomorrow and will need to win them over is my bet..Bruins beginning a stretch vs some real tough teams.Hope the kid is ready because this is not Harvard anymore ,it's the real deal.I will be hoping he shows well .I am sure there will be lots of eyes on him.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Very pleased. With everything that's gone on from the beginning of an unlikely, riveting season, why not insert Donato Jr. in the mix? Especially now, with major injuries.

I did not like the Nash signing. Not because of the hefty price -- which really wasn't all that hefty, given Boston's sudden organizational depth (that's another post) -- but because Nash is a ghost. Yes, he's big, yes he can play defense, and yes, he can create scoring chances in front the net. How often he converts is another matter. He can help, but unfortunately I don't believe he can help much. He lumbers. He disappears.

Donato brings all the bits we've heard about into a churning, creative, crazy mix that may go far in the post season. He, like the rest of the kiddie corps, can "catch lightening in a bottle." Because, they're the lightening, and they don't know what they don't know.

If Ryan isn't ready, that's fine. Again, with all the injuries in a season winding down toward a likely playoff berth, and a coaching staff mixing and matching because of same, this is absolutely *the time to find out.*

Reactions: Strafer

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I am curious to see how Ryan will play at the NHL level. It should be an interesting next few games.

Reactions: Ladyfan

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
They will care in that room I figure because they have been going to war to get go this point with a shot at division and all of a sudden during the stretch run you have a 21 year old kid with zero experience you are going to be counting on.They might not say it but you can bet some think it. He is playing tomorrow and will need to win them over is my bet..Bruins beginning a stretch vs some real tough teams.Hope the kid is ready because this is not Harvard anymore ,it's the real deal.I will be hoping he shows well .I am sure there will be lots of eyes on him.

Honestly, if you're in the room and that's at the top of your mind...... doomed to fail. Maybe Danton Heinen is looking over his shoulder? Nash, Holdern, Gionta, Wingles and now Donato. Healthy competition IMO. If Noel Acciari is shaking in his boots.. good?

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
i'm pretty sure both krejci and backes lose their NMC before a potential expansion draft - when they slide to modified NTCs,
that means they are eligible to be left unprotected.
That's correct, Krejci and Backes will both be NTC at that point and don't need to be protected, and with one year left each, assume they won't be.

But that leaves 7 of:
Bergeron
Marchand
Pastrnak
DeBrusk
Heinen
Bjork
Donato
Kuraly
JFK
Senyshyn
Cehlarik
Plus potentially another addition between now and then

Now, one or two will be moved before then or will have petered out. But, they'll probably lose a good one. So I would have preferred if they went ATO and started tolling his contract next year. But, his father was my favorite player in the 90's (largely based on his play in NHL 96 and especially Faceoff 98 :help:) and I have followed him closely since he was drafted and have been shocked he's always been kept off Bruins top prospect lists. He'll only be behind Pasta and Marchy for offensive skill.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
i'm pretty sure both krejci and backes lose their NMC before a potential expansion draft - when they slide to modified NTCs,
that means they are eligible to be left unprotected.

I hope that's the case. I was under the impression the guys with modified NTC/NMC could be left unprotected only if they listed Seattle as one of the teams they'd approve going to.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good to read DS locked up another kid although it seemed, based on what I`ve read that the B`s really know how to deal with the College kids based on the comments below

“He’s a hometown kid whose father (Ted, also Ryan’s coach at Harvard) played for the Bruins. He’s going to a great team and will be in a great situation. And they’ve treated him great since he was drafted in all the development camps,” Keator said. “His dream has always been to win the Stanley Cup with the Bruins.”

Bruins sign Ryan Donato out of Harvard

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Was happy to see this news last night.

Welcome Ryan!

Going to be weird seeing #16 on the ice again.

Reactions: Ladyfan

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Very pleased. With everything that's gone on from the beginning of an unlikely, riveting season, why not insert Donato Jr. in the mix? Especially now, with major injuries.

I did not like the Nash signing. Not because of the hefty price -- which really wasn't all that hefty, given Boston's sudden organizational depth (that's another post) -- but because Nash is a ghost. Yes, he's big, yes he can play defense, and yes, he can create scoring chances in front the net. How often he converts is another matter. He can help, but unfortunately I don't believe he can help much. He lumbers. He disappears.

Donato brings all the bits we've heard about into a churning, creative, crazy mix that may go far in the post season. He, like the rest of the kiddie corps, can "catch lightening in a bottle." Because, they're the lightening, and they don't know what they don't know.

If Ryan isn't ready, that's fine. Again, with all the injuries in a season winding down toward a likely playoff berth, and a coaching staff mixing and matching because of same, this is absolutely *the time to find out.*

Sorry, we're talking about the 900k Riley Nash that has 39 pts?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
No, he doesn’t become a UFA. He signs the ATO for this season and plays in PRO, with the ELC kicking in next year. This is what Heinen did, McAvoy, DeBrusk, and more recently Freddy and Hughes.

With McAvoy because of injury they put the ELC into effect after only a couple AHL games and brought him up to the NHL.
I thought an ATO was just an amateur tryout agreement? There are no future rights attached to an ATO. At least that's my limited understanding. The way you're describing it, it's like you're saying that an ATO is attached to a regular ELC. Or are you saying he would sign both an ATO to play in Providence and a standard ELC at the same time?

Donato is in a different boat than McAvoy and those other college kids based on years since the draft. He could become a UFA 30 days after declaring his college hockey career is over. My point was that if he just signed an ATO and went to Providence he'd be a UFA when the ATO expired (in 30+ days). Are you saying that's not how they work?

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I thought an ATO was just an amateur tryout agreement? There are no future rights attached to an ATO. At least that's my limited understanding. The way you're describing it, it's like you're saying that an ATO is attached to a regular ELC. Or are you saying he would sign both an ATO to play in Providence and a standard ELC at the same time?

My point was that if he just signed an ATO and went to Providence he'd be a UFA when the ATO expired. Are you saying that's not how they work?

The player is signed to an ELC, but it doesn’t start until the following season. Then the player is signed to an ATO and is allowed to play at the AHL level.

Here’s a link to Trent Frederic’s deal at CF:

Trent Frederic - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Notice how is ELC doesn’t begin until 2018-19? The B’s have utilized this type of deal with a number of players over the last few years.

Off the top of my head:

Frederic, Hughes, DeBrusk, Carlo, O’Gara, McAvoy, Fitzgerald.

It allows the team to get the player AHL experience, but their ELC doesn’t kick in until the next Fall. If the team wants the player to come up to the NHL, as was the case last year with McAvoy, the ELC is activated and the team loses a year.

Donato’s deal appears to be the same as JFK’s last season. He has an ELC and the B’s are apparently going to give him a game right away, which essentially means he signed a 1 year deal. The difference between JFK and Donato is that with the injuries, Ryan may get more than one game if he looks good.

I’m not sure if Donato will even be eligible for the AHL playoffs? Pretty sure JFK was not last year?

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then!":laugh:

Really though? Looks like that year was Pasta, Donato, Heinen, Bjork in that order. Starting to think we vastly under-appreciate what that year meant to the franchise.

So Sweeney got Charlie, Carlo and Debrusk so far in terms of people who have put on nhl skates.

Gryz is Chia too...

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Honestly, if you're in the room and that's at the top of your mind...... doomed to fail. Maybe Danton Heinen is looking over his shoulder? Nash, Holdern, Gionta, Wingles and now Donato. Healthy competition IMO. If Noel Acciari is shaking in his boots.. good?
Doubt they are. They are burning a year off. The level of play is quite different. Think about that Tampa game. It’ll be like JFK s game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig