Michael Russo: Ryan Carter clear waivers; Zac Dalpe claimed by CBJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Russo:

Pulkkinen is way more complicated. This resets his waiver clock, too, but he's not happy he has been stuck in Iowa and wants to be elsewhere.

By placing him on waivers, the Wild's giving him that ability. If he clears waivers, this is also a way of the Wild letting all 29 GM's know that he's available for trade by Wednesday's 2 p.m. deadline without sending a memo to all 29 teams.

So bottom line with Pulkkinen: If he clears waivers, Wild's no doubt willing to trade him by Wednesday.

Sounds like the Pulkkinen saga will end soon. He hopes to get picked up or traded by the deadline.

Last edited by a moderator:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Seems weird to risk the waivers.

He clearly wants out, the Wild are trying to help him.

Not really much of a risk since he's clearly not an NHL player according to the Wild at this point.

Graovac wasn't taken when he was waived, and I think the Wild value him more overall.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Wish he'd stay in Iowa... I think he's a great AHL'er who could help elevate our minor league team. Would be good for our blue-chip prospects coming through the system to play on a good team.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He clearly wants out, the Wild are trying to help him.

Not really much of a risk since he's clearly not an NHL player according to the Wild at this point.

Graovac wasn't taken when he was waived, and I think the Wild value him more overall.

Right, but why do waivers and not just offer him around for a 5-7 pick? Unless they've already done that and had no takers.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Right, but why do waivers and not just offer him around for a 5-7 pick? Unless they've already done that and had no takers.

Russo said that putting him on waivers lets the entire league know he's available at the same time.

He's not likely to be picked up off waivers unless a team is willing to give him an NHL roster spot and waive someone of their own.

Trading for him after he clears gives the team he is traded to options since his waiver clock is reset and they can put him in the minors right away and call him up if/when the time comes.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Russo said that putting him on waivers lets the entire league know he's available at the same time.

He's not likely to be picked up off waivers unless a team is willing to give him an NHL roster spot and waive someone of their own.

Trading for him after he clears gives the team he is traded to options since his waiver clock is reset and they can put him in the minors right away and call him up if/when the time comes.

Ok, that's something I did not know, the NHL roster spot aspect.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That is an important aspect, as players claimed on waivers are claimed to place on NHL rosters. That is the entire purpose for waivers in the first place. It's a level of protection for NHL players to remain in the NHL even if their team doesn't think they are NHL players. Another team might think they are and thus would make the claim to place them on their own roster.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I just always saw a guy who was too weak and slow to make it in the NHL, but it's possible he can catch on with another team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, we've got Graovac and Carter who can play C, as well as Schroeder, Coyle, and Granlund, in a pinch. Who knows what Dalpe had after missing most of the season due to injury?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Still not expecting a thing from Carter until I hear he has indeed returned to form.

To say we have Carter, but not sure what we had in Dalpe is a little off to me. Dalpe played a hell of a lot more recently than Carter.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Zac Dalpe Claimed off Waivers by CBJ

Kinda sad, but Dalpe was claimed off waivers by Columbus.

At least he's going to a place he's somewhat familiar with. Best of luck to him!

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Fletcher & Boudreau were upset Dalpe was claimed. Probably wouldn't be an issue if Graovac could step up and play at an NHL level.

Russo:
General Manager Chuck Fletcher really hoped Dalpe would slide through waivers, as did coach Bruce Boudreau, who didn't seem too pleased when he was told Dalpe was taken.

Boudreau was so taken aback, I wonder if Dalpe was playing tonight vs. the Kings (Devan Dubnyk vs. Jonathan Quick) or maybe there was some other kind of trade in the works that he's aware of.

Seemed pretty cryptic and stunned. Maybe somebody's sick? I didn't see Mikko Koivu this morning, and that's pure conjecture. But reporter instinct: It was weird.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Sounds like Dalpe was going to play tonight... Now Boudreau has to play Graovac, which isn't ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad