Injury Report: Ryan Callahan out 5 months after surgery (hip labral tear)

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Rather have the space. He has value, just not $5.8m worth. A retention would be in order if another team picks him up, unless they are well below the cap.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hey bolts fans.
Just a question I had about callahans value right now.

Would you guys rather have Callahan for the next 4 years at 5.8 cap hit or would you rather have the space?

I guess the base of my question is does he realistically still have value or is he a piece you're looking to dump?

Good luck to TB this year you guys and FLA will be interesting to watch

Callahan still brings a lot to this team, his role is not defined by just point production. He is still a fan favorite, and hope he plays out his entire contract in Tampa. If you ask the people here, they would want him to stay but cheaper. If he was making like between 4.0 to 4.5 million don't think moving him would even be brought up in conversations here.

Matt Carle was a cap dump, guy got healthy scratched left and right, and no takers so he was bought out, Callahan has a Full NMC and his buyout would be a disaster for this team for the next 6 years. Let him play out his contract and help this team win. He still averaged around 18 mins a game last season, and is vital in the shutdown/Two way role. If given the opportunities and stays healthy he will hit around 50 points again, and with 20 plus goals. He played most of the season last year with a torn hip which got worse as the season progressed.

So to answer your question, he still has a lot of value to this team, but not a lot on the trade market, and the Tampa Organization is not looking to dump his salary, he still brings a lot to the table.

But don't take too much into what I am saying, I am the guy who changed teams and was influenced to root for this team moving forward because of the Callahan trade a few years ago. Love the player and what he brings. Would be devastated if he was moved.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Hey thanks for the replies everybody. The whole reason I ask is over a few brews with some friends we got to talking puck obviously, stammer was a subject then just the bolts, I'm an armchair gm.so I bring up the cap situation, locking up core pieces etc.

Somebody brought up the idea of the leafs grabbing callahan from you guys for the reasons stated, and giving you guys Hortons ltir relief.
But it seems that he has a lot more value than just a dump and reclamation type of thing.

Anyway it's always fun to think outside the box like that about this stuff.
Anyway cheers. I'm sure I'll wish I was in Florida in a few.months......

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd like to see him for 20-30 games to see how much last year's injury was affecting him. It's not going to be easy for him to live up to a 5.8m contract as an occasional top-sixer, but, as of right now, I feel like Killorn is a better fit with Stamkos, and the Triplets are likely to play together. So that leaves Callahan with 3rd line duty. If he can find a way to contribute on the PP, I'll be satisfied.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Hey thanks for the replies everybody. The whole reason I ask is over a few brews with some friends we got to talking puck obviously, stammer was a subject then just the bolts, I'm an armchair gm.so I bring up the cap situation, locking up core pieces etc.

Somebody brought up the idea of the leafs grabbing callahan from you guys for the reasons stated, and giving you guys Hortons ltir relief.
But it seems that he has a lot more value than just a dump and reclamation type of thing.

Anyway it's always fun to think outside the box like that about this stuff.
Anyway cheers. I'm sure I'll wish I was in Florida in a few.months......

If Callahan's cap hit was 4m, he'd have one of the better contracts in the league, I think.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Callahan still brings a lot to this team, his role is not defined by just point production. He is still a fan favorite, and hope he plays out his entire contract in Tampa. If you ask the people here, they would want him to stay but cheaper. If he was making like between 4.0 to 4.5 million don't think moving him would even be brought up in conversations here.

Matt Carle was a cap dump, guy got healthy scratched left and right, and no takers so he was bought out, Callahan has a Full NMC and his buyout would be a disaster for this team for the next 6 years. Let him play out his contract and help this team win. He still averaged around 18 mins a game last season, and is vital in the shutdown/Two way role. If given the opportunities and stays healthy he will hit around 50 points again, and with 20 plus goals. He played most of the season last year with a torn hip which got worse as the season progressed.

So to answer your question, he still has a lot of value to this team, but not a lot on the trade market, and the Tampa Organization is not looking to dump his salary, he still brings a lot to the table.

But don't take too much into what I am saying, I am the guy who changed teams and was influenced to root for this team moving forward because of the Callahan trade a few years ago. Love the player and what he brings. Would be devastated if he was moved.

Do you believe everything that you say? Where is this fan favorite poll you always speak of?

He really hasn't done a whole lot in his Lightning career to be so beloved. He started out good, brought much needed physicality to the team which I guess people liked but disappeared in the playoffs. Was resigned because we had no proven top 6 wingers, Palat just broke out, Kucherov did nothing his rookie year, Drouin hadn't played for us yet and Killorn was Killorn. His contract looked ok because it was almost the same caphit as St. Louis so no real affect on the cap yet. His second year he was great but so was the entire team, he went missing in the playoffs again though. Last year he blew dog. So outside of one strong regular season he has no merits to be a fan favorite at all.

I'm not sure you want to bring Matt Carle up when talking about Callahan. When we got Carle we were desperate for top 4 defenders, like Callahan and top 6 wingers, he was good the first couple of seasons but then fell off the wagon, after last year Callahan could be on the same path.

If Valteri Filpulla was making 3.5 people wouldn't talk about getting rid of him, if Garrison made 3mil people wouldn't talk about him being traded soon, if Killorn was still making 2.5 people wouldn't be hoping Vegas selects him in the expansion draft. You can use that logic with half the roster so it doesn't hold water for Callahan.

How do you know the Tampa organization is not looking to dump his salary? Do you work for the organization, do you have insider information that says that don't mind him making 5.8 to be a grinder? You make an awful lot of assumptions.

Last edited by a moderator:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Do you believe everything that you say? Where is this fan favorite poll you always speak of?

He really hasn't done a whole lot in his Lightning career to be so beloved. He started out good, brought much needed physicality to the team which I guess people liked but disappeared in the playoffs. Was resigned because we had no proven top 6 wingers, Palat just broke out, Kucherov did nothing his rookie year, Drouin hadn't played for us yet and Killorn was Killorn. His contract looked ok because it was almost the same caphit as St. Louis so no real affect on the cap yet. His second year he was great but so was the entire team, he went missing in the playoffs again though. Last year he blew dog. So outside of one strong regular season he has no merits to be a fan favorite at all.

I'm not sure you want to bring Matt Carle up when talking about Callahan. When we got Carle we were desperate for top 4 defenders, like Callahan and top 6 wingers, he was good the first couple of seasons but then fell off the wagon, after last year Callahan could be on the same path.

If Valteri Filpulla was making 3.5 people wouldn't talk about getting rid of him, if Garrison made 3mil people wouldn't talk about him being traded soon, if Killorn was still making 2.5 people wouldn't be hoping Vegas selects him in the expansion draft. You can use that logic with half the roster so it doesn't hold water for Callahan.

How do you know the Tampa organization is not looking to dump his salary? Do you work for the organization, do you have insider information that says that don't mind him making 5.8 to be a grinder? You make an awful lot of assumptions.

This is what I love about Hose. He can **** with people, and then he can make a post like this which is about as logical as you're gonna find on this board (which makes his ****ing with people all the more effective.).

To Thunder Buddy, you really don't have to build a case for Callahan. We can all see it. Even you have agreed that he has to be better than last year, and he gets the benefit of the doubt because it turns out (at least according to Still All In) that he was fighting that injury for most of the season. As were a number of other guys who underperformed. The difference, of course, is Cally's caphit. But if he comes out and makes a difference this year, it'll quiet a lot of his critics. That's just what it comes down to. He either does that or he doesn't.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
To Thunder Buddy, you really don't have to build a case for Callahan. We can all see it. Even you have agreed that he has to be better than last year, and he gets the benefit of the doubt because it turns out (at least according to Still All In) that he was fighting that injury for most of the season. As were a number of other guys who underperformed. The difference, of course, is Cally's caphit. But if he comes out and makes a difference this year, it'll quiet a lot of his critics. That's just what it comes down to. He either does that or he doesn't.

I am not really disagreeing with anyone here. When news came out of his injury a lot of people took a step back from the criticism, but yeah he has to be good this year and think he will be more than fine. I've held back with the Callahan defending posts for a number of reasons. One of them is trying to be a full Lightning fan and concern myself with the team as a whole, but also because I have been overkill in these posts, but some of the moving him now posts have been overkill as well.

I guess my point is to all this, is that if he bounces back strong and helps this team win and is a difference maker, then it won't be a big deal if his contract cannot be moved and at that point why even move it, if he is playing up to it?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Callahan practiced fully today no red jersey for the first
Time this year

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Says like 1st week of nov return, But see him back in two weeks. Could be ready for the 29th game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00