RW Oliver Wahlstrom - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 11th, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumby and pokey

Nov 20, 2013
PEI/PQ
If someone with the knowledge of the NCAA Hockey could enlighten me as to what the advantage is, for the player, to "commit" to a school at such a young age?

TravisR81

May 25, 2008
I don't know about college hockey, but in basketball and football for most schools it doesn't matter how your grades are, they'll make sure you get in. Hell there was a report of a college football player who couldn't read.

While this may be true in some cases there's countless examples of high-profile recruits not being able to qualify academically to play collegiately (e.g. Sheldon Richardson, Trey Metoyer). Players still have to pass through the NCAA clearinghouse to be eligible.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
If someone with the knowledge of the NCAA Hockey could enlighten me as to what the advantage is, for the player, to "commit" to a school at such a young age?

It gives them some security and not have to worry about recruiting process but nothing is binding as this is a verbal commit and it's far from certain he ends up a Black Bear. One big benefit is that it definitely gets your name out there to scouts. Could end up as a top Q draft pick because of how hyped he will be by his draft year.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
That's not entirely true.
See: William Nylander

The reason Nylander was given an exemption was because he played all his hockey growing up in the US while being a dual-citizen of Canada and Sweden. If he had played in Canada or been a US citizen he would have had to live and play in Sweden for two full years before being eligible to play for them in an IIHF tournament.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Funny his dad wants him on tre kronor and he haven't even taught him swedish.
When they do the peptalk and every1 gets real excited he'll sit there screaming "alright!!!......" :D

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Henrik Samuelsson from Arizona and William Nylander from Maryland are proof that no matter where a player is from good hockey genes and a love of the game can take you far. Wahlstrom may not have the same hockey bloodlines, but he's developed into a pretty fine player so far in a place which is far from a hockey hotbed in Maine.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I noticed that his current team is listed as Shattuck St. Mary's on his profile page from the recent World Selects Invitational. I guess he'll be moving to Minnesota to play for their bantam team next year. I'll be curious to see how long he stays there and where he ends up afterwards.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
I noticed that his current team is listed as Shattuck St. Mary's on his profile page from the recent World Selects Invitational. I guess he'll be moving to Minnesota to play for their bantam team next year. I'll be curious to see how long he stays there and where he ends up afterwards.
I once heard about a "kid" who played on the Shattuck prep team as a freshman. I wonder what ever happened to him? ;)

Seriously, Shattuck and Tom Ward will improve ANY bantam or minor midget. After that, NTDP, USHL or QMJHL would be the next logical step.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
I once heard about a "kid" who played on the Shattuck prep team as a freshman. I wonder what ever happened to him? ;)
Pretty sure Crosby played Prep as a young sophomore. Just like MacKinnon played U16 as a young sophomore. I can't think of the last freshman to make Prep.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
It gives them some security and not have to worry about recruiting process but nothing is binding as this is a verbal commit and it's far from certain he ends up a Black Bear. One big benefit is that it definitely gets your name out there to scouts. Could end up as a top Q draft pick because of how hyped he will be by his draft year.
All this is true, in addition to many other reasons. First, the "commitment" could be more aptly described as "accepting a scholarship offer." Again, this is just a verbal offer which the school can rescind, but this doesn't happen too often because it makes the school look bad to other prospects.

Also, it should be mentioned that scholarships in hockey are typically partial, anywhere between 10% to 100%. Even the blue chip players tend to get only 90%. So, if it was a solid offer, it makes a lot of sense to accept it because, though not legally enforceable, it's a bigger commitment for the school than for the player.

Also, unlike other NCAA sports, D1 hockey tends to abide by a "gentleman's agreement" to refrain from recruiting kids verbally committed to other schools. He was dead set on Maine, so this will get the other college recruiters off his back.

Basically, when Maine offered the scholarship, there's very little reason for a lifelong Black Bear fan and legacy like Wahlstrom to NOT accept it.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
17GP 21G 17A 38PTS with the Shattuck Bantam team so far.

This pace puts him at around 145 points in 65 games if he maintains.. last year's team, which had some of the brightest prospects and most gifted scorers in the 1999 age group, and won a national championship, were led by Minnesota recruits Scott Reedy (125) and Brannon McManus (120). solid start for the kid

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Nathan MacKinnon had 58 54-47-101 and Taylor Cammarata had 58 92-78-170 for Shattuck Bantam in 09-10.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
He's definitely on the right pace.

I wonder if Halifax/Quebec have started their recruiting process yet lol

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Extremely weak loop in which SSm plays against
Players are getting 6-8 points a game

Real judge is what they will do in points vs honeybaked chicago mission and mississaugua rebels

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Saw in the video below that Wahlstrom almost went to play in Sweden with MODO this season before deciding to head to S-SM. Also seems he's still unsure of whether or not he'll play for Sweden or the US if he gets the opportunity. Considering his goal is to play NCAA/NHL it'd be a strange detour to head over to play in Sweden if the move is purely about IIHF eligibility.

http://tv.aftonbladet.se/webbtv/sport/ishockey/hockeystudion/article54956.ab

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Saw in the video below that Wahlstrom almost went to play in Sweden with MODO this season before deciding to head to S-SM. Also seems he's still unsure of whether or not he'll play for Sweden or the US if he gets the opportunity. Considering his goal is to play NCAA/NHL it'd be a strange detour to head over to play in Sweden if the move is purely about IIHF eligibility.

He's an American boy with a Swedish dad, I can understand the slight anguish if he get to the point he could play for both Sweden OR the US. Luxury problem, but still a bit of a problem I guess for him...

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Nice find, Cagney. He'd have to move to Sweden for 2 years to even be IIHF eligible for them (barring a waiver which I doubt the IIHF would grant) and I'd imagine that's even less likely now since he chose not to make the move for this season. Everything else I've ever read about him made it seem like USAH wasn't really in his plans at all but this interview made it seem a lot different. I'm sure it'll be a battle till the end but I imagine if he sticks with SSM it's going to be hard for him to pass up the NTDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad