RW Nikita Scherbak - Traktor Chelyabinsk, KHL (2014, 26th, MTL; claimed by LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Players usually take a while to adjust to the pro-game.

Look at Gaunce as a example
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=128003

Gaunce was a bit of a project. His skating wasn't particularly good and it was hard to see him as anything to more than a 3C. It wasn't unexpected that he would hit a bit of a bump in the AHL.

I didn't have nearly the same concerns for Scherbak though. I thought he would rip it up. This isn't me writing him off but I guess I overrated him a bit.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Gaunce was a bit of a project. His skating wasn't particularly good and it was hard to see him as anything to more than a 3C. It wasn't unexpected that he would hit a bit of a bump in the AHL.

I didn't have nearly the same concerns for Scherbak though. I thought he would rip it up. This isn't me writing him off but I guess I overrated him a bit.

Hes been in and out of the lineup due to injuries. Tough first year for him,, not worried about him.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
He is barely 20 years old. If scouts thought like you, we would have given up on Pacioretty before he was 21.

His lack of progress in the WHL may be a concern though..

2013-14 Saskatoon Blades WHL 65 28 50 78
2014-15 Everett Silvertips WHL 65 27 55 82

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site

While he didn`t improve his points total, his game really got better in 2014-15 compared to 2013-14. Under Kevin Constantine, he had to play a much more complete game than before.

As to this year in the AHL, he's been injured and recently moved to center. Hence it`s a learning year where he hasn`t been playing at 100% for most of the year.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013

Everett isnt an offensive first team. plus, I think there is nothing to worry about if he was the one that got the most points on his team.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Yeah the numbers in his last year in the WHL and first year in the AHL may not be glittering but as others have said, there's a little bit more to the story in both those years. I'd like to see what he can do in a full season in the AHL now that he's gotten his feet wet. He was the youngest player on the Ice Caps by quite a bit.

Definitely a project but still lots of time for him to develop.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Scherbak was a real surprise at his first pro camp and his draft+1 year was awesome.

He was really weak in his draft+2 camp and he had poor number in the A. This being said, he played with injuries, had to adjust to the pro level, played C and RW.

Even tho he deceived, this kid seems to have character and willingess to be a pro. I am looking forward to see him rebound next year and make a strong statement.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Yeah the numbers in his last year in the WHL and first year in the AHL may not be glittering but as others have said, there's a little bit more to the story in both those years. I'd like to see what he can do in a full season in the AHL now that he's gotten his feet wet. He was the youngest player on the Ice Caps by quite a bit.

Definitely a project but still lots of time for him to develop.

Come on. Yes, he could have got at least 15-20 points more but as long as you are the leading scorer of your team, I think there is nothing to worry about.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
He looked good in camp too this year. I think he just needs to improve the quickness at the NHL level and hes going to be really good. Montreal obviously pretty deep at the forward position so it seems even if he earns it there wont be a spot for him for a couple of years.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
He looked good in camp too this year. I think he just needs to improve the quickness at the NHL level and hes going to be really good. Montreal obviously pretty deep at the forward position so it seems even if he earns it there wont be a spot for him for a couple of years.

It will be tough for any forward to crack our roster, indeed. Many people were pencilling guys like Andrighetto, Hudon and Carr on our roster but in the end none made it, only Lehkonen.

When looking at the next couple of years, McCarron is definitely next in line for a roster spot (among the kids). Depending on if we lose a forward at the expansion draft, there could be another spot available, but realistically Scherbak won't be ready next season anyway. I could see LV grabbing one of Hudon/Carr/Ghetto from us if they're looking for a young forward... fortunately McCarron/Scherbak/Lehkonen won't need to be exposed.

I could see him becoming a top-6 forward who can pot 25 goals, but he's gonna have to beat a lot of guys for a spot. Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Radulov if he re-signs should be here for a while, so there would only be 2 spots open, and that's if Bergevin doesnt add a veteran in that spot.

Lehkonen's been playing top-6, so that may be another spot gone for Scherbak to fight for. 3rd line has a lot of candidates too, like Shaw, Danault, McCarron, De La Rose and Byron who are all fairly young.

Scherbak will need to be better than Hudon, Ghetto, Carr and prospects like Bitten, Vejdemo, Audette and even Reway. Should be interesting.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
2 off his goal total from last year in 9 games (v ~50?) Great progress, I have always liked him but was concerned after his troubles last year

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
2 off his goal total from last year in 9 games (v ~50?) Great progress, I have always liked him but was concerned after his troubles last year

Scherbak seems to have turned an important corner this year and improved his consistency and production offensively, using his shot more, while playing a more mature game. That said, he did have his fair share of troubles last year in the AHL, which was worrying me as well, and while most of it lies squarely on Scherbak's own shoulders, I think there is a multitude of outside factors, some linked, that contributed to his struggles all of last year.

After watching Scherbak play often last year, I've grown to believe that his injury concerns were one of the major reasons, alongside his lack of consistency, unpreparedness, and sometimes lackadaisical play selection, to his difficulty producing offense last year and playing as well as he could have.

It's no secret that mobility is one of the most important elements to a winger's game (alongside hockey IQ, shot arsenal and overall skill level) as they need to stop and go extremely often while wating for passes near the blueline and will have to start skating from a standstill much more often than basically any other position. This fact, combined with the lingering effects of the very severe high-ankle sprain Scherbak had in the offseason of 2015 that severely reduced his mobility and explosiveness all last year (you could see it in his stride, in his pivots, his agility, his edgework and his acceleration) probably led to him being much less efficient as a winger last year and thus much less suited to the position than he'd been so far in his career.

Furthermore, shooting and passing lanes that would have been open off the rush had Scherbak's skating been at 100% were closed or partially closed because of the step he lost last year, he couldn't create much separation for himself against defenders for the same reason and driving to the net was also made more difficult and less likely to succeed, limiting his options while also affecting his puck-retrieval and hounding abilities, finally forcing him to play a different type of game than he'd been used to so far, a type of game wholly unsuited to him and his skillset.

Put simply, Scherbak is at his best while holding the puck, finding holes and using his high natural skill level to make plays and threaten the defensive layout, shielding the puck with a combination of edgework, size, savvy, skill, balance and skating. Without his skating and edgework going for him he had less time to hold onto the puck as defenders closed in on him faster, reducing his window of opportunity to make a play, forcing him to make quicker decisions with the puck than he'd been used to, causing turnovers and more mistakes while reducing impact plays and scoring chances produced.

Also, because of his sudden unsuitability at wing and the IceCaps' weakness at center, Scherbak was being used as a center for a good part of last year by St-John's (subpar I must say) AHL coaching staff, a position that he'd basically never played before in a better league than he'd ever played in, facing older and more mature players than he as a 20-year old kid. In those circumstances, it was only natural that he'd struggle, and struggle he did indeed.

Also, while Scherbak was a part of the problem for the St-John's IceCaps, the fact that the team had problems producing much offense and wasn't good overall played a part to his underwhelming numbers and the negativity concerning his play.

Add to that Scherbak's own raw-ness and lack of experience at the pro levels, and you've got a recipe for disaster for virtually any winger prospect excluding the very top blue-chip prospects.

Notwitstanding last year, he's been very good this year, should be fine going forward, and that's all you can ask of him and or any young-ish prospect that wasn't drafted top 10. Linear progression is ideal but seldom reached. A lack of progression one year might lead to a huge increase in production and quality of play the next year and vice versa

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
That is pure confidence, no chance he would have tried either of those moves last season. Awesome to see him running hot like this.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was looking at his EP page. I was surprised that he didn't play in any WJC's. Is there a reason? First round pick, good player, whats the reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad