RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I was looking for the actual data in the khl not single game looks from Twitter.

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
I was looking for the actual data in the khl not single game looks from Twitter.

It would seem Podkolzin plays well when given quality minutes with quality players. Good luck with your efforts to discredit Podkolzin and the defense of SKA's infallible methods. If you find yourself in agreement with atass2000....seek help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lainehasaweirdface

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
I’ve watched over a half dozen thanks. Read that article before as well. There isn’t any corsi or possession stats.
I don't know how you could watch over half a dozen of his games and think he's only been "playable" and that he still needs to "learn the pro game". Half the hype around him is that he does play such a responsible game at such a young age.

Reactions: Deezone

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
There is the typical half-truth for you.

Did the russian U20 NT beat three senior teams in that tournament? Yes. Were those senior teams on KHL level? No. But let's not tell the ausdience that. Those senior teams were without KHL players from those nations, which are by design their best players playing in Europe/Russia/KHL. The Czechs decided to release the KHLers before the game against Russia and played with a younger team even giving a record setting 16 year old a spot. The other two NTs never had KHLers on them. So basically those were not even all the best Liiga and/or SHL players., pretty much VHL level teams. So yes, the russian U20 has shown it's players can dominate the VHL level. And obviously they do as it's leaders including Podkolzin outgrew the VHL by now, others are successful players in that VHL. Was it still a notable achievement? Yes, it was. Overrating it like the U20 team really beat the best european selections of other nations' men is ignorant and stupid. And in that case it is just used to again spread the false narrative.

And most relevant to this thread. That tournament has shown exactly the core of the controversy around Podkolzin. He obviously still has issues on KHL level, but on the level below he is dominant. He is in his development caught inbetween those levels. That is nor uncommon, nor is it something to be worried about. At 19 that's perfectly normal for a prospect.

But then again, the toxic vancouverians somehow twist the simple situation to insanity and a player who needs time to be successful in the 2nd best league is better off trying his luck in the best one.
A U20 team dominating the VHL would be borderline mind blowing so what's your point?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
A U20 team dominating the VHL would be borderline mind blowing so what's your point?
How? Our U20 team's top players are KHLers and not the worst ones. It's middle of the pack players are VHLers and not the worst ones. What exactly would be surprising for such a team to be dominant in the VHL?

To put it in perspective. Our VHL team's 1D is the sent down KHL team's 7-8D with 16pts in 21GP. Khovanov, a loan from Minesota who could not make the KHL roster has 14pts in 13GP in the VHL.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
It would seem Podkolzin plays well when given quality minutes with quality players. Good luck with your efforts to discredit Podkolzin and the defense of SKA's infallible methods. If you find yourself in agreement with atass2000....seek help.

..or you could just admit you were making stuff up regarding his KHL corsi, passing, and possession stats while simultaneously maintaining your opinion. There's nothing wrong in doing as such.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Who should come out for him?

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
..or you could just admit you were making stuff up regarding his KHL corsi, passing, and possession stats while simultaneously maintaining your opinion. There's nothing wrong in doing as such.
You can follow Canucks army: Podkolzin was not on the ice for a goal against in the first eight games of the season. His line controlled puck possession at a high degree, some games had Podkolzin with a CF% over 80%.

https://twitter.com/MirokiOnDefence/status/1307404250939420672?s=20
https://twitter.com/ChrisFaber39/status/1305188227226062848?s=20

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Take your pick....thought you said you read Mitch Brown's article. He’s outplayed Joonas Kemppainen (16:59), Yevgeni Timkin (14:04), and Yakov Trenin (15:51) – the former two by healthy margins. If SKA St. Peterburg were indeed running a merit-based system, Podkolzin would be playing more – end of story.
I read it. I don’t agree.

it’s one persons opinion.

I wanted to see if you thought for yourself. Kempainen takes a ton of face offs and Pod plays more games than Trenin.

I’m not trying to discredit him. I’m trying to be realistic. He’s not a top 6 forward at the khl level. He’s working towards it. He’s learning. He’s 19. He’s not a must start talent for his team.

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
I read it. I don’t agree.

it’s one persons opinion.

I wanted to see if you thought for yourself. Kempainen takes a ton of face offs and Pod plays more games than Trenin.

I’m not trying to discredit him. I’m trying to be realistic. He’s not a top 6 forward at the khl level. He’s working towards it. He’s learning. He’s 19. He’s not a must start talent for his team.

My opinion, like yours...means shit...unless you have some credentials you'd like to reveal. I'm citing sources who spend hours analyzing games / data, including an assessment from Canucks Director of Player Development. Clearly your mind is closed.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
My opinion, like yours...means shit...unless you have some credentials you'd like to reveal. I'm citing sources who spends hours analyzing games / data, including an assessment from Canucks Director of Player Development. Clearly your mind is closed.
I think he’ll make the nhl. Currently he’s not special at the khl level. If he was he’d be playing more. Even Higgins’ is suggesting his game isn’t excelling on the big ice in that evaluation. It doesn’t mean he is a bad prospect or that I don’t like him as a prospect.

I’ve watched ska games with and without him. He’s not one of the better forwards yet. It’s ok.

Anyways hopefully he has a good world juniors.

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
I think he’ll make the nhl. Currently he’s not special at the khl level. If he was he’d be playing more. Even Higgins’ is suggesting his game isn’t excelling on the big ice in that evaluation. It doesn’t mean he is a bad prospect or that I don’t like him as a prospect.

I’ve watched ska games with and without him. He’s not one of the better forwards yet. It’s ok.

Anyways hopefully he has a good world juniors.

You're hard to impress....
Lots of credible / knowledgeable evaluators see something special in Podkolzin.

Last edited:
Reactions: sting101

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
You can follow Canucks army: Podkolzin was not on the ice for a goal against in the first eight games of the season. His line controlled puck possession at a high degree, some games had Podkolzin with a CF% over 80%.

https://twitter.com/MirokiOnDefence/status/1307404250939420672?s=20
https://twitter.com/ChrisFaber39/status/1305188227226062848?s=20

Yea great, anyone can cherry-pick stats. What’s his season total? That’ll give us a more complete picture.
Like already posted, his passing % is on the lower end of all regulars.

Again, Podkolzin is a great player for his age. Great potential. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
From his draft class (forwards) only Hughes, Kaako and probably Dach would receive top 6 minutes on SKA. Every other player in his category would be in the same boat as him - maybe even worse. Hell, none of Cozens, Zegras, Turcotte, Boldy or Caufield have even played a game of professional hockey yet.
Let’s keep things in perspective here.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
rom his draft class (forwards) only Hughes, Kaako and probably Dach would receive top 6 minutes on SKA.

no they won't, lol! who are you trying to fool here zine, those guys will be sitting in the press box or getting 6 shifts a game.

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Yea great, anyone can cherry-pick stats. What’s his season total? That’ll give us a more complete picture.
Like already posted, his passing % is on the lower end of all regulars.

Again, Podkolzin is a great player for his age. Great potential. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
From his draft class (forwards) only Hughes, Kaako and probably Dach would receive top 6 minutes on SKA. Every other player in his category would be in the same boat as him - maybe even worse. Hell, none of Cozens, Zegras, Turcotte, Boldy or Caufield have even played a game of professional hockey yet.
Let’s keep things in perspective here.

While I largely agree with 2nd para, you suggested I was making shit up...then I provide some supporting references to back it up....what exactly has your lazy ass done ?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
While I largely agree with 2nd para, you suggested I was making shit up...then I provide some supporting references to back it up....what exactly has your lazy ass done ?

It’s not my job to do anything. You asserted something as fact, hence the onus is on you to back it up. And not with incomplete figures.
Cmon lets not play games. You said he has a great corsi. So what is it this year? Seriously, Im actually interested because I can’t find it anywhere.
If you don’t know, just say so.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Also, it’s disingenuous to compare Podkolzin’s ice time to that of any centers. I notice people (and some media) doing as such. By and large centers get more minutes due to the nature of the position.
Not a good comparison.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I don't know how you could watch over half a dozen of his games and think he's only been "playable" and that he still needs to "learn the pro game". Half the hype around him is that he does play such a responsible game at such a young age.

That helps explain why he bounces around though. He’s not ready for a regular role on the upper lines, but his versatility allows him to be inserted anywhere in the lineup when need be. He can lineup next to a Timkin or a Tkachyov and not look out of place with either one.
Not many 19 year olds can do this, especially on one of the deepest teams not in the NHL.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Yes, he does. So what? Is the NHL some holy land? While it's more of ignorance than a lie in his statement. NA ice? Is he sure he is earning money with hockey? And repeating a weird narrative about how a player who can't really make it in the KHL yet is NHL ready should be below someone in his position.

Obviously it does not add to the credibility of the Canucks organizaton. Interestingly enough it is the third canadian NHL team I have such issues with. Can't say that about any american franchize. Go figure.
Just to add.

Every hockey official using "NA ice surface" when talking about KHL players should be fired immediately. I would expect from such high-calibre NHL club official to know that the KHL clubs are using NA ice surface.

Here I would mention another story - a fairytales spoken by NHL GMs to Russian (European) players how these players are important for them, how they will play important role in NHL roster etc. Then, a player is send to AHL ... Even Szymon Szemberg recently said in podcast that Sweden does not have as many NHL calibre players as Swedes under NHL contract. Hence, many Swedes playing the AHL. So, he (Szemberg) would rather see those Swedes playing at home instead of the AHL. So, NHL GM etc are lying to European (Russian) players. If they do not need them for NHL job, they should let them play in Europe. Especially, if they play at NA ice surface in Europe (KHL).

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
It’s not my job to do anything. You asserted something as fact, hence the onus is on you to back it up. And not with incomplete figures.
Cmon lets not play games. You said he has a great corsi. So what is it this year? Seriously, Im actually interested because I can’t find it anywhere.
If you don’t know, just say so.

I provided enough examples...If you disagree prove it...back it up with facts. Your opinion is meaningless.

Reactions: Luckylarry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad