RW/LW Lucas Raymond - Frolunda HC, SWE JRs (2020, 4th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hope he isnt a perimeter guy but the wings just added a tonne of skill to their prospect group, cant be mad

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Raymond and Seider oh and Zadina.. Hmmm, almost like the Wings are building a European base to their team. Aint gonna work, when has that ever proven to work.

Excited. Plain and simple as a Wings fan.

Reactions: koalabear9301

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hope he isnt a perimeter guy but the wings just added a tonne of skill to their prospect group, cant be mad

Why would that even be bad? Doesn't Detroit need pure skill? McDavid is perimeter, MacKinnon is perimeter, Kane is perimeter, Panarin is perimeter. When you have that level of puck skills, the perimeter is where you play.

Detroit isn't lacking on guys who stand around the net or can battle in the corners. It's much harder to acquire players who can take over a shift on the perimeter. You aren't drafting Raymond to do that, and I don't even think he's completely perimeter. He's perimeter-oriented because it fits his skillset, but he's a hard working two-way guy and is willing to get to the middle of the ice when he needs to.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Why would that even be bad? Doesn't Detroit need pure skill? McDavid is perimeter, MacKinnon is perimeter, Kane is perimeter, Panarin is perimeter. When you have that level of puck skills, the perimeter is where you play.

Detroit isn't lacking on guys who stand around the net or can battle in the corners. It's much harder to acquire players who can take over a shift on the perimeter. You aren't drafting Raymond to do that, and I don't even think he's completely perimeter. He's perimeter-oriented because it fits his skillset, but he's a hard working two-way guy and is willing to get to the middle of the ice when he needs to.
Exactly, and he's pretty good on the boards too. These takes on Raymond are strange. He definitely goes to the middle of the ice when he sees an opportunity.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Raymond is a stud--the Wings made a great pick. He went right where he should have IMO--the 4th best player in the draft. This kid is absolutely filthy and he could end up the 2nd best forward in the class in 5-6 years. The separation between him and Stutzle is razor-thin IMO. What's interesting is how underrated his shot is. People talk about his elite passing and stickhandling but his shot is world-class as well. He also has that "quiet confidence" about him that fellow Swedes--Peter Forsberg and Erik Karlsson had/have. I think Yzerman hit a HR here... the same way he did with Seider last year. I loved the Seider pick the moment it was made--and I love this one as well.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Had Holtz and Drysdale higher, but can't say I am unhappy about Raymond. The guy is a high energy puck magician like Marner, can't hate that.

Just glad we didn't pick Perfetti, har har.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would have taken Perfetti. But, I am completely unwilling to bet against a pick Hakan Andersson likely heavily endorsed. I'd have a lot more faith in his opinion than mine.

I think Andersson obviously has a great track record during his career, but sometimes these executives and scouts live off reputation. Do we know that he’s done anything great recently?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think Andersson obviously has a great track record during his career, but sometimes these executives and scouts live off reputation. Do we know that he’s done anything great recently?
No. But, anyone with his track record deserves the benefit of the doubt until they clearly botch something. Also very hard to tell how much an input an area scout has on each pick. Not saying he's perfect, but I sure as hell trust his opinion about a Swedish prospect over mine, anyone on this board, or pretty much anyone else alive. I know this is somewhat of an appeal to authority argument, but I'd be incredibly arrogent to not have a high-level of belief in Andersson's ability to identify talent over my own, especially for a kid in his backyard. I bash or support picks here all the time, but there are a few guys who I won't heavily question, and Andersson on a high Swedish pick is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad