RW/LW Lucas Raymond - Frolunda HC, SWE JRs (2020, 4th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
#BetterThanHoltz

Very short-sighted of you. I've watched a lot of both players here in Sweden and they are very different in their playing style. As stated earlier, Raymond is more of a slippery, agile, winger that is really noticeable when he has a good game - but he can also disappear when the deke isn't working as well. Holtz play a no bullshit kind of game which I believe will translate better to the senior level as he rarely has an off night. Both players are really exciting to watch though and the 2020 draft class is shaping up to be great for us. Theodor Niederbach has perhaps the most untapped potential and he isn't even in this tournament.

In my opinion Raymond should go to the CHL and play. I just feel like his game would develop more there than over in the SHL. Pretty controversial coming from a Swede I guess.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Very short-sighted of you. I've watched a lot of both players here in Sweden and they are very different in their playing style. As stated earlier, Raymond is more of a slippery, agile, winger that is really noticeable when he has a good game - but he can also disappear when the deke isn't working as well. Holtz play a no bull**** kind of game which I believe will translate better to the senior level as he rarely has an off night. Both players are really exciting to watch though and the 2020 draft class is shaping up to be great for us. Theodor Niederbach has perhaps the most untapped potential and he isn't even in this tournament.

In my opinion Raymond should go to the CHL and play. I just feel like his game would develop more there than over in the SHL. Pretty controversial coming from a Swede I guess.
Lmao I'm kidding. Obviously I'm not coming to a conclusion off one game.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I know they are both good players. They're very different though, and Raymond fits my preferred style a bit better. Always on the move, looking for open ice, winning puck battles and races and playing a high intensity style.

Holtz on the other hand will sit back and allow the game to come to him. Can change the game with one shot, and keeps defenders and goalies honest as he's always a threat to shoot or pass.

Personally, I'll take the speedy, electrifying winger over the sniper.

Farabee vs Wahlstrom... give me Farabee.. Although I think Holz is a cut above Wahlstrom and does more to drive plays. Raymond really drives the play.. He made a couple really nice rushes that resulted in weak backhands for shots.. so I'd like to see him finish some of his great plays off. nb: 1 game sample size for me... will watch again today.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Farabee vs Wahlstrom... give me Farabee.. Although I think Holz is a cut above Wahlstrom and does more to drive plays. Raymond really drives the play.. He made a couple really nice rushes that resulted in weak backhands for shots.. so I'd like to see him finish some of his great plays off. nb: 1 game sample size for me... will watch again today.
I did like Wahlstrom more than Farabee. He has more raw talent. The shot, puckhandling and skating, he just has that dynamic offensive talent that Farabee doesn't have.

Now Holtz certainly has some of those qualities but his skating was a tad disappointing yesterday. What did catch me off guard though was his offensive vision. I was under the impression we were talking about a pure offensive sniper, so seeing him make some of those nifty passes cross-ice was nice. He really uses his deadly shot to keep goalies and defensemen honest, but he's a sneaky good playmaker as well.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I did like Wahlstrom more than Farabee. He has more raw talent. The shot, puckhandling and skating, he just has that dynamic offensive talent that Farabee doesn't have.

Now Holtz certainly has some of those qualities but his skating was a tad disappointing yesterday. What did catch me off guard though was his offensive vision. I was under the impression we were talking about a pure offensive sniper, so seeing him make some of those nifty passes cross-ice was nice. He really uses his deadly shot to keep goalies and defensemen honest, but he's a sneaky good playmaker as well.
Holtz himself when asked about how it felt yesterday said it didn't feel good for his own part, so eh, will probably do better as the tournament goes on, it is August after all.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009

His skating does need work, but he kind of reminds me of Tavares in that way. Not super fast but "smart" skating and positioning. His hockey-IQ is really high so he almost never gets caught in a bad position where his speed works against him. Both have a great knack for finding both garbage goals and thundering slappers/wristers. Atleast that's the impression I've gotten by watching him. We'll see how it translates.

But hey, this is a Lucas Raymond thread

Last edited:

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Holtz himself when asked about how it felt yesterday said it didn't feel good for his own part, so eh, will probably do better as the tournament goes on, it is August after all.
Good to see holtz critical of himself. Peter forsberg was never happy with his play

Reactions: Nifty Willy

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Very short-sighted of you. I've watched a lot of both players here in Sweden and they are very different in their playing style. As stated earlier, Raymond is more of a slippery, agile, winger that is really noticeable when he has a good game - but he can also disappear when the deke isn't working as well. Holtz play a no bull**** kind of game which I believe will translate better to the senior level as he rarely has an off night. Both players are really exciting to watch though and the 2020 draft class is shaping up to be great for us. Theodor Niederbach has perhaps the most untapped potential and he isn't even in this tournament.

That's interesting, considering the comments about his game above.
If he's sometimes too reliant on his individual puck skills and could learn to find more ways to be effective when time and space are limited, shouldn't the SHL(or any men's league) be precisely what he needs in this case rather than juniors?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
High end Swedish prospects should take the Elias Pettersson/William Nylander route if possible. J20 at 16 -> Allsvenskan in their draft year -> SHL. So many players lose their creative side when taking the step from J20 straight to the SHL. Hopefully Holtz and Raymond are up for the challenge.

Last edited:

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
High end Swedish prospects should take the Elias Pettersson/William Nylander route if possible. J20 at 16 -> Allsvenskan in their draft year -> SHL. So many players lose their creative side when taking the step from J20 straight to the SHL. Hopefully Holtz and Raymond are up for the challenge.
Did those SHL/Allsvenskan loan rules happen?

It will be interesting to see if Raymond gets a game or 2 in the CHL. Wouldn’t be unreasonable to see him dress against Vienna or Aalborg.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Did those SHL/Allsvenskan loan rules happen?

It will be interesting to see if Raymond gets a game or 2 in the CHL. Wouldn’t be unreasonable to see him dress against Vienna or Aalborg.

Raymond won't get loaned to Allsvenskan for more than a few games. School gets in the way.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know if he's the best prospect at the Hlinka, but I don't think any prospect has played better at this tournament so far.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Clutch play on the gwg for Sweden at :44 of the 3rd. Sweden won 2-1 against Russia, they're now heading for gold. Broberg and Raymond were absolute studs in this game.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

AirJordan

May 23, 2013
Studs in this game:laugh: hf tends to massiv overrating their shiny new toys. Sweden generated maybe a handful dangerous opportunities. Two periods they were completly outplayed. Raymond in gerenell had 2, 3 strong playes, outside of that i did not even notice him. No clue what game you saw...

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Studs in this game:laugh: hf tends to massiv overrating their shiny new toys. Sweden generated maybe a handful dangerous opportunities. Two periods they were completly outplayed. Raymond in gerenell had 2, 3 strong playes, outside of that i did not even notice him. No clue what game you saw...

Raymond was all over the ice, making good plays defensively and offensively, using his blazing speed. Pretty hard to miss.. It was a good competitive game. Both team played their system well so the chances were limited. The number of opportunities is a factor but I put even more stock into how a prospect perform overall in those tight game. Also, most of Sweden opportunities had Raymond involved in them.

I could have said the same for Podkolzin who had a really good game, really strong on the puck.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Atleast we dont cheat our way to the final like canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad