RW Jesse Puljujärvi - Kärpät, Liiga (2016, 4th, EDM) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Yup :nod:.

Did you get a chance to see any of the games this weekend? He was on an entire different level from the other prospects. His skating is :amazed:.

Nope, just seen his goals from the first games as I've been working for 30 hours the past 48 hours. The last game is on youtube right?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I wonder if the Oilers will let him wear no. 39 full time or if he even wants it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Wow, that's a pretty impression set of plays. I like how he keeps his head up, controls the puck, and finds the open man. Some sweet passes too.

There was a huge difference in his game from 1st to 2nd, he started to play more like him and controll the play(he's so good at that), he took the playmaker role and set up some nice chances.
He still has another gear left and his game should pick up more as the games get tougher.

During yesterdays game it felt like he was starting to feel more comfortable and that line started to understand each other, we all know Puljus english isn't on Laines level.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
i still stand by my sentiment that this player is the 2nd best player in the 2016 draft.

He is going to shock a lot of people next season.

JS91

May 14, 2014
Honestly if he finds himself next to McDavid for a good portion of his career he might legitimately be the top point producing player out of this draft class. His tools are absolutely outstanding and he seems fast enough to keep up with McDavid.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
i still stand by my sentiment that this player is the 2nd best player in the 2016 draft.

He is going to shock a lot of people next season.

I agree and was trashed for saying that during the height of the Laine hype (WCH).

He may end up to be the best player of this draft.

Not even close, lol. But I do think he's quite a bit better than anyone not named Matthews. If WPG was smart they would of snatch him up at 2nd.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I agree and was trashed for saying that during the height of the Laine hype (WCH).

Not even close, lol. But I do think he's quite a bit better than anyone not named Matthews. If WPG was smart they would of snatch him up at 2nd.

Just how amazing do leafs fans think Matthews is gonna be? I feel like you guys are setting up yourself for a disappointment.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I've always thought he'd work better with Draisaitl.

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle/Yak
Lucic-Draisaitl-Jesse Puljujärvi
Pouliot-RNH-Yak/Eberle

McDavid + JP would just fly down the ice and shoot it wide :)

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I've always thought he'd work better with Draisaitl.

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle/Yak
Lucic-Draisaitl-Jesse Puljujärvi
Pouliot-RNH-Yak/Eberle

McDavid + JP would just fly down the ice and shoot it wide :)

At least it would be entertaining hockey :laugh:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I'd agree that at this point it would be hard to expect him to end up better than Matthews at this point in there careers, but its also impossible to know how either will continue to develop. We know Matthews is like 7 or 8 months older and much more physically mature, while also having a much more refined game. Both have incredible tools (so does Laine), but Jesse is still the least refined of the 3 imo. I think he has the most room to grow, but whether thats enough to surpass the other two remains to be seen.

I think this kid would look great with any of our 3 centres tbh. I think Draisaitl would be a great fit with him to start, but I also think he'd look good with Nuge. The only concern I'd have putting him with Nuge is that Nuge is probably going to be taking heavier defensive assignments when we have last line change, and putting him with McDavid to start might be a mistake with how other teams are going to deploy their top pairings anytime they can against Connor.

I think he'll make the team out of camp, there's just too many good things that he brings and he fills a need for the Oilers on the left circle on the PP that we could desperately use. I expect him to continue to get better as the season approaches.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
Remember when people said he had no hockey IQ? :laugh:

No hockey IQ, no toolbox, no killer instinct. I didn't understand it then and probably never will.

Great to see him continue right from where the last season ended. In the U20s some people said he just got lucky 2nd assists and rode up the leaderboard with that. Strange how he keeps on getting those lucky 2nd assists so often... Almost like the puck just happens to find itself in the opponent's goal when he's on the ice. Guess there are worse talents to have. :D

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
From the Finns I don't see Pulju competing for the Calder. He will not be producing on a high level next season (and he isn't a sure-fire thing offensively like Laihe, and even Aho). Without looking at all the Calder eligible rookies I think either Nylander or Matthews from Toronto could be strong candidates. Besides these players there are always surprises (Gostisphere almost did it this season), along with the fact that 18-year-olds almost never win the calder. McDavid could've done it without injury, but besides him I can't recall who the last 18-year-old Calder winner was.

I see Pulju providing a good grinding effect on the 2nd/3rd line (if all three top-lines play offensive roles) while providing some scoring. Over 30 points would be awesome if and when he can be responsible on both ends of the ice. Predicting Pulju to score anything more is just making yourself prone to disappointment. Laine I do see having a chance to flirt with 60/50 points and Aho also has a chance to be a two/way responsible 40 pointish player even next season. From these, Laine is the only one I can see as having a chance to win the Calder (even if Aho were to be more important to his team).
If he does play in the NHL this year he'll be on one of three lines centred by a 50 point centre. Teams won't be focused on him nearly as much as they will be with Laine/Matthews/Aho so he'll have a little more freedom against weaker opposition. 30 points would be a huge disappointment

Lucic-McDavid-Yakupov/Puljujarvi
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Maroon-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi/Yakupov

I'd be shocked if Maroon doesn't crack 30 points this year if all three C's stay healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad