RW Jesse Puljujärvi (2016, 4th, EDM) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
18 year old, knows no english, alone in a foreign country for the first time. Why isn't he playing the hockey of his life already?

Next year is going to be his breakout year, you wanted it or not, persenaama.

I would say your foremost arguments could be countered by: been a professional since the age of thirteen, could have perhaps learned some English since he did ice hockey full-time over any school. He could also be in a fairly natural situation coming into the Americas given his independence ever since moving to Oulu on his own. Although he cannot apparently do any laundry or cooking.

It ain't a question of whether anyone wants it or not. Living it through with enormous emotion in hype may not either exactly help in rewieving prospects. That hope for growing pains was already in line for last year's minor struggle as the main reasoning but perhaps... hopefully... if we all wish for it.

Despite your minor collapse at the end I appreciate that someone at least could come up with counter-arguments. Since those drive the discussion and analysis forward more than insults which I still gladly welcome as natural part of the incredibly hype flowing around these young prospects, who are still very humane in the end and not manifestations of gods on Earth.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Your argument is "Jesse Puljujärvi is a bust and a bad player because i say so". Jesse is a rookie and not every rookie learns equally as fast or is given similar opportunities. I hope to god the Oilers management is more patient than you are.

My collapse was because your comments don't deserve any more effort than that. Also the way you write doesn't make you sound any smarter. It makes it seem like it's all you have. You are a troll.

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
I've been really happy with what I have seen from him this season. I watched all of the rookie challenge games and preseason games as well and he was the best player on the ice in the rookie games by far.

He shows flashes of elite playmaking ability and a wicked shot. His skating is fantastic although sometimes his positioning seems a bit scattered. This is totally normal for an 18 year old rookie. He shows an effort level maybe only matched by McDavid and Pitlick on the team. I know some of that is probably 18 year old adrenaline, but he obviously takes his play very seriously.

On one hand I can understand the coaches trying to ease him into a bigger role regarding PP time and 1st line shifts, but especially when Eberle is struggling I wish he would give Puljujarvi a little more trust.

As for this season I think he is being held back on purpose by the coaches to not put as much pressure on him. It's obvious to me though that he will be groomed to be McDavid's future RW and probably the 1PP RW. I think he still has a chance to end up as the best or maybe top-2 player from his draft year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I've been really happy with what I have seen from him this season. I watched all of the rookie challenge games and preseason games as well and he was the best player on the ice in the rookie games by far.

He shows flashes of elite playmaking ability and a wicked shot. His skating is fantastic although sometimes his positioning seems a bit scattered. This is totally normal for an 18 year old rookie. He shows an effort level maybe only matched by McDavid and Pitlick on the team. I know some of that is probably 18 year old adrenaline, but he obviously takes his play very seriously.

On one hand I can understand the coaches trying to ease him into a bigger role regarding PP time and 1st line shifts, but especially when Eberle is struggling I wish he would give Puljujarvi a little more trust.

As for this season I think he is being held back on purpose by the coaches to not put as much pressure on him. It's obvious to me though that he will be groomed to be McDavid's future RW and probably the 1PP RW. I think he still has a chance to end up as the best or maybe top-2 player from his draft year.
He needs to work on his puck control (along with other things) the most in my opinion. He needs to be prepared to accept hard passes instead of fumbling them, that is what will give him more time to utilize his speed and vision. I think Oilers feel they need to win now, so playing a bunch in Bakersfield might not be the worst thing for him. I'd finally add that while he has the potential to be a top 2 player in his draft, I don't think its that likely. The other two kids have started insanely strong.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Despite your minor collapse at the end I appreciate that someone at least could come up with counter-arguments. Since those drive the discussion and analysis forward more than insults which I still gladly welcome as natural part of the incredibly hype flowing around these young prospects, who are still very humane in the end and not manifestations of gods on Earth.

Please. Whenever any sort of argument is presented you dodge the issue and come up with this:

For the basic stuff I am at your mercy for now at least since I do not dedicate time to watching average at best prospects. The work leading up to the previous draft has been pretty much completed. Now I rather pay more attention to the likes of Barkov junior and Laine.

You don't like the kid, we get it. Now just leave because you don't have anything to offer that advances the discussion because you clearly don't know anything about his play in the NHL (since you haven't watched him). Your trolling derails the topic of the thread and you're a waste of our time who wants to have a rational discussion.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He reminds me a lot of Draisaitl his 1st season you can see the skill but he is not ready yet and I will say he will be slighty better then him when ready harder shot and better skater but they play similar imo.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I do not watch those games because I already know of Puljujärvi's weaknesses and strengths. I do not believe in huge turnovers in the basic player profile. The talent and what works can be more often seen from the beginning. You on the other hand do not watch with your eyes judging the play or the player. You creed when seeing them play. Why I even follow ice hockey prospects to start with is that I am interested in truth in life. Truth is not something you stumble upon by following or watching: it takes agency and plenty of shaping to discover something.

Since you are having 'a rational discussion' here then why it is a such a problem if am adding what was already known pre-draft by those who thought Puljujärvi wasn't going third overall. Why is it for you fanatics so important that everyone shares in the hype? If what you claim is true then it should by quite high likelihood actually happen going forward. You fell in love with a 16-year-old boy yet you do not believe in him so much that you could perhaps defend my arguments of his character, ice hockey upbringing and play with counter-arguments, despite having the backing of majority.

Maybe you find all this provocative, as lusting members of the hyped or the fanatics, of a potential third overall pick but at least I do not play it safe with my judgments. I have recently and in the long-term spoken against a consencus third overall pick and been very supportive of the chances of a seventh rounder. I have sided with the likes of Barkov junior and Laine when there still was doubt of their superstardom. I believe in the work I do. I am constantly seeking truth, the very basis of our Eastern-Western civilization at least since the days of Zarathustra.

Now for last night's performance... was it you Joe who saw him play? I think it is something to chew on now that McDavid's future winger went to eat some popcorn for a change. I personally thought coming into the season that it would have been better for Puljujärvi to try and fill a key role in Kärpät or in the AHL to have far better chance to hone his skills going forward. The Oilers do not seem to be very active regarding this. Neither were Kärpät. The player character also seems to lack agency so the next move is interesting to see when you are talking of a player who is physically there.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
You talk about truth yet you don't even seem to grasp the concept of truth.

Congrats on making a hunch that turned out to be correct on the draft day. If you feel that serves as justification for your superior opinion on Jesse's current or future success then I guess it speaks more of your immaturity than wisdom (or lack thereof).

To me that particular chain of events represents nothing but an irrational hater making a lucky guess driven by bias, not insight.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Thus spake Tulipunaruusu.

I don't have any dog in this fight, but think that there is a time to open your mouth, and a time to shut it. You've said your piece and are on record, and, if it's important to you, you'll get "points" if you turn out to be right and Puljujarvi ends up being a bust.

I had inside knowledge of the character of a player that was being considered by my team for the first round. I stated a couple of times that I hoped my team wouldn't take him, and that was it. God knows I wouldn't want everyone to know all the mistakes I made when I was younger.

Time to let it go. You sound like a guy who is wishing this player to fail. Doesn't look good on you.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Id like to see him get some AHL time. I think he will be a great player, but ive always thought he should spend some time in the minors.

I actually hoped he would have started the year off down there and then get called up around now/xmas time, but that wasn't the case.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Time to let it go. You sound like a guy who is wishing this player to fail. Doesn't look good on you.

Which is a matter of perspective. I do not think you want to be hyped or especially gracious when reviewing 18-year-old players who are part of a draft with the intention of joining a business dealt in many millions of American dollars. Of course it is easy to shutdown the other, less convinced viewpoints but it does not add to your ever-vanishing judgment which you should be more sensitive of than mine. You can only absorb some much from others as perhaps the lowpoints in Puljujärvi's career and fandom have taught.

I could have let go after Puljujärvi's 0+0 performance in his first World Junior Championship or softened my stance when he picked the MVP award a year later there but instead I reviewed it according to my knowledge of the play, contemplated further more and reached the decision: the Blue Jackets would seek far more impactful player from the draft than the media and fanatics consensus third overall pick. The lack of agency in the player or in his upbringing or background personnel (of a young professional player) highlights further on why.

I think the mentioned are more reasonable explanations than turning to the primitive reaction of how I, Jarmo Kekäläinen, the Blue Jackets scouts and who else are bad people for reaching the same decision.

I think it would help your judgment's accuracy if you changed perspective: look into the player and inside your own thoughts. Only then you are able to foresee. To understand. This is one hell of a gift. Happy Christmas.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I said this in the other Pulju thread already but I couldn't believe he was benched.

I thought he had been one of the best wingers for Edmonton when he played with McDavid(5 full games). He added defensive game to that line and set up McDavid for 5 goals, Kling scored own goal so Pulju got credit for 4.

He got 1 shift with McDavid against Toronto and after that got pretty much benched and I had no idea why.

Last edited:

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Is he still going to AHL?

EDM has Kassian, Pouliot and Letestu (before the last game). All these are pretty meh players and Pulju is a legitimate upgrade over some of them.

EDM still needs to clean roster. Too many plugs with razor sharp top talent.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think he will be a beast of a player one day. Obviously the jump from Liiga as a 18 year old to the NHL is a tough one for him. But Barkov overcame it. Jesse will too. He's got too much going for him to not be an elite player one day.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
I said this in the other Pulju thread already but I couldn't believe he was benched.

I thought he had been one of the best wingers for Edmonton when he played with McDavid(5 full games). He added defensive game to that line and set up McDavid for 5 goals, Kling scored own goal so Pulju got credit for 4.

He got 1 shift with McDavid against Toronto and after that got pretty much benched and I had no idea why.

Puljujarvi was asked at practice what he needs.

1. needs to work on strength.
2. needs to work on release.

He stated he can get to the open position with the puck.
but his release is to slow for the NHL.

Puljujurvi is already a great defensive forward.
his lane anticipation is Elite.
the kind of anticipation you see in the selke finalists.

He has great board play. can see his injury thru a large portion of last season set him back strength and rythym wise.

My only bother is Tmac not using him on left side Shot like Laine. when you watch his video of PP release in ligga. It is his strength.

As for being sat for Slepyshev.
slepyshev has a superior board retrieval and physical game.
more pro mature.
His release has already beaten (fooled) 2 goalies.
Plus being the 1st overall pick in the KHL draft.
He has shown that elite talent.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Puljujarvi was asked at practice what he needs.

1. needs to work on strength.
2. needs to work on release.

He stated he can get to the open position with the puck.
but his release is to slow for the NHL.

Puljujurvi is already a great defensive forward.
his lane anticipation is Elite.
the kind of anticipation you see in the selke finalists.

He has great board play. can see his injury thru a large portion of last season set him back strength and rythym wise.

My only bother is Tmac not using him on left side Shot like Laine. when you watch his video of PP release in ligga. It is his strength.

As for being sat for Slepyshev.
slepyshev has a superior board retrieval and physical game.
more pro mature.
His release has already beaten (fooled) 2 goalies.
Plus being the 1st overall pick in the KHL draft.
He has shown that elite talent.

Good to hear him say those.
He has potential to have elite shot but it needs work still, the potential is there, gaining strenght is a longer process.

But I just thought the timing of the benching was bad, he was playing his best hockey and looked like an NHL player during those games. Then he got rewarded by press box. Does that make him play more safe, scared? I hope not but there's the small chance it sended a wrong message. Confidence is everything for rookies.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's a good player but the Kovalchuk comparison always made me laugh. I don't think he'll come close to that level offensively.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Yeah McLellan has made some very odd personnel choices lately. He had multiple very good shifts in that Toronto game and got benched for no apparent reason. I mean he mishandled a pass in the slot all alone from Kassian I think it was(on what looked like it was going to be a wrap around so I can't fault him for the surprise pass that I think actually got away from Kassian), but I can't see that as being a reason for benching him. Also strange continues to be them not even trying him for one game on the top PP on the left circle. I'm sure it will happen eventually, but the fact that it hasn't happened yet has been poor coaching imo.

As for the poster in this thread who has a very peculiar vendetta against Jesse, I think its better if everyone just stops responding to him. Hopefully that'll fix the broken record I seem to come across in every Puljujarvi thread.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Looks like he should be doing more time in the press box. He skates around fast while doing a whole lot of nothing I think he's going to bust IMO

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Looks like he should be doing more time in the press box. He skates around fast while doing a whole lot of nothing I think he's going to bust IMO

Doubt it. Guys with his physical talents and hockey iq don't bust. He's got a better corsi than Matthews and judging from Laine thread you leafs fans think highly of that. So, dare i say it Puljujarvi > Matthews.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Ive said all along that he needs to be in the AHL so he can improve his offense.

T-Mac could order Pulju NOT to work on his defensive game and he wouldnt be able to stop himself. Its his nature. Hes already an excellent defensive forward and will challenge for Selkes which is hard to do for a winger.

Like others have stated, he needs to work on his shot selection and most importantly getting used to the smaller ice. I would have him in the AHL where he can be 'the guy' and play 20 min a night.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Doubt it. Guys with his physical talents and hockey iq don't bust. He's got a better corsi than Matthews and judging from Laine thread you leafs fans think highly of that. So, dare i say it Puljujarvi > Matthews.

I wouldn't take that poster even remotely seriously. He's already posted (just today) that Matthews could be better than McDavid as early as next year because apparently he has a 2-way game that is in another world compared to McDavids. He also said he would take any of Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Rielly, or possibly Gardiner over Karlsson in a 1 for 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad