RW Ivan Kosorenkov - CSKA Moscow, KHL (2016 undrafted)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Ivan Kosorenkov still remains undrafted and unsigned (although there was an opinion that he was pretty good at the Flyers camp this pre-season). Even though he didn't make the WJC, he did well this season (especially after being put on the line with Comtois and Abramov), getting 36G+46A in 63 QMJHL regular season games, so I think there is a chance he gets drafted this year.

Ep link: Ivan Kosorenkov

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He should've been a mid-round pick his draft year. Producing like it as well. I wouldn't want my team drafting him because he went the CHL route, but he should be drafted in the upcoming draft.

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
Dug up an old scouting report on him from his draft year, original source can be found here: Prospectus Prospecting – German Rubtsov + 5 Russian 18s for the 2016 Draft – Hockey Prospectus

"A fast skater with an excellent agility, first step and top speed. Can easily change direction and skate backwards, or brake to make a pause, fool the defenseman, and then shoot, pass, or keep on skating."

"A natural goalscorer, Kosorenkov has a very good shot with a fast release. He can also unwind strong one-timers, other than trying to fool the netminder with unpredictable attempts. His wrister is also very accurate and he reminds me a little bit of Nikita Kucherov in that regards."

"Kosorenkov has a good set of hands, and can be a good playmaker too, even if he prefers to score. He is very good in bringing the puck forward and his speed guarantees him a lot of breakaways in junior hockey, of course it will be harder for him to replicate his style of play in pro hockey. He likes to take defensemen one on one and is often successful."

"He isn’t a physical player, and isn’t particularly big either, although he can take hits and doesn’t suffer when things get tougher. He will of course have to bulk up to think about playing in North America, but also to play pro hockey in Europe."

He seems to have bulked up since this was written (was listed at 180 pounds in 2016, QMJHL website currently has him at 192).

There's also this nice highlight pack on Youtube that showcases some of his better moments from last season (2016-17):

Pretty good player who should get a chance from someone in the pros as a lower round pick or UFA. Other than Philly, I could see him signing with the Blue Jackets org especially if they plan on starting Abramov in the AHL next season. Their AHL affiliate (Cleveland) has one of the most anemic offenses in the league and could use more scoring. That may make it even harder to shake off the notion that he is just a product of Comtois and Abramov, though.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
a team should put a late pick on him ! he’s really talented ! If I’m Anaheim or Columbus, I picked him because he was really good with Abramov and comtois

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Sad he is toiling in the ECHL. I think he has talent to warrant to at least be playing for the Sound Tigers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad