Russian D Beefed Up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I am a bit tired of everyone criticizing the Russian Defense and saying it is a "major weakness". In my opinion this team has the BEST defense out of any Russian team in the past 10 years easily! :sarcasm:

The Russians have always favored picking offensive dmen like Zubov and Gonchar over the defensive dmen. Look at the last Olympics, in which the Russians did NOT select Daniil Markov AND did not select Volchenkov...all in favor of guys like Tverdovsky!

Now look at this squad, which has 3 very good Defensive Dmen:
Kasparaitis
Volchenkov
D. Markov

Pair each of those 3 with an offensive dman and you have yourself a solid team:

Gonchar - Kasparaitis
A. Markov - D. Markov
Zhitnik - Volchenkov

spares: Bykov, Tyutin

Now you want to tell me that maybe this defense is not as great as that of Canaday, fine...but don't tell me that it's a "major weakness"! :teach:

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Considering the Russian forwards and goaltending will be stronger, I would still say that the defence is the weakness of the team.

That defence is decent, but not one of the better squads going into the Olympics.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No offense, but Volchenkov played like an AHL 7th D-Men against the Habs last tuesday...

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
MXD said:
No offense, but Volchenkov played like an AHL 7th D-Men against the Habs last tuesday...

No offense, but watch more games before making an "assessment". Volchenkov has been one of the Senators' best d-men most of the season. He is one of the reasons why Redden was having a Norris calibre season before getting injured.

In the Montreal and the Philadelphia game, most of Ottawa's D-men played like ECHLers.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

MXD said:

Volchenkov is one of the best ALL-AROUND dmen that Russia has...he can play well offensively but he is also extremely good defensively, both positionally and physically. Volchenkov also has a tendency to step up his game for the important games! I would take him over Gonchar or Zubov any day for this tournament. :teach:

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
armani said:
No offense, but watch more games before making an "assessment". Volchenkov has been one of the Senators' best d-men most of the season. He is one of the reasons why Redden was having a Norris calibre season before getting injured.

In the Montreal and the Philadelphia game, most of Ottawa's D-men played like ECHLers.
Volchenkov may be playing well but he is not the caliber of Dman that alot of the other countries are sending to the best on best tourney.

Oh, and yes, I have watched Volchenkov plenty of times before so save the silly remarks.

nesbit_21

Aug 2, 2005
Kaspar isnt very good, gonchar...well, nuff said...but the real defense problem for Russia is going to be TEAM defense. Their group of forwards probably dont even know the DEFINITION of backcheck.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
nesbit_21 said:
Their group of forwards probably dont even know the DEFINITION of backcheck.

Who ? Frolov ? Ovechkin ? Datsyk ? Kovalev ? Who ? :shakehead

Bahhhhhhhh i cant stand such useless comments :madfire:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
ryz said:
Volchenkov may be playing well but he is not the caliber of Dman that alot of the other countries are sending to the best on best tourney.

Oh, and yes, I have watched Volchenkov plenty of times before so save the silly remarks.

Of the D-men named in the first post, list how many of them are playing better than Volchenkov, if you have watched him plenty of times before this season?

Gonchar
Kasparaitis
A. Markov
D. Markov
Zhitnik
Volchenkov
Bykov
Tyutin

I would argue that A. Markov is the only player to be having a better season than Volchenkov. And what is silly is basing one's judgement on a player based on one game. That is my point.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
CSKA said:
Who ? Frolov ? Ovechkin ? Datsyk ? Kovalev ? Who ? :shakehead

Bahhhhhhhh i cant stand such useless comments :madfire:

I so agree with you CKSA... Russia has a very good balance on thier team and a wealth of 2 way forwards... I think your concern could be goaltending. Nikolai looked like he was turning his game around lately with the Blackhawks but now seems to be falling back. To his credit though, I know Khabibulin from his Winnipeg Jet days and of course the cup run with the Lightning... he plays great in big games. Russia is definitely a favourite IMO to medal...

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
armani said:

NO offense but own season tickets to the sens game before making a "re-assement". Volchenkov has been one of the Senator's worse d-man this season. He's the reason wade redden has been playing so well to cover up volchenkov's mistakes.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Hart_House_Ca said:
NO offense but own season tickets to the sens game before making a "re-assement". Volchenkov has been one of the Senator's worse d-man this season. He's the reason wade redden has been playing so well to cover up volchenkov's mistakes.
:biglaugh:

Volchenkov allows Redden to play more offensive. How is that covering up for Volchenkov?

I don't even think he was replying to your post.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
2forsbergaura1 said:
I am a bit tired of everyone criticizing the Russian Defense and saying it is a "major weakness". In my opinion this team has the BEST defense out of any Russian team in the past 10 years easily! :sarcasm:

The Russians have always favored picking offensive dmen like Zubov and Gonchar over the defensive dmen. Look at the last Olympics, in which the Russians did NOT select Daniil Markov AND did not select Volchenkov...all in favor of guys like Tverdovsky!

Now look at this squad, which has 3 very good Defensive Dmen:
Kasparaitis
Volchenkov
D. Markov

Pair each of those 3 with an offensive dman and you have yourself a solid team:

Gonchar - Kasparaitis
A. Markov - D. Markov
Zhitnik - Volchenkov

spares: Bykov, Tyutin

Now you want to tell me that maybe this defense is not as great as that of Canaday, fine...but don't tell me that it's a "major weakness"! :teach:

The problem I have with your assessment is Kasparaitis who never/rarely did well in the international tournament. Did I hate Kasparaitis at the world cup with his +/- of -13943 for 5 games.

His time is done, let the youngsters play.

shawn_kemp*

Danny Markov DID play at the 2002 Olympics. He was paired with Tverdovsky, and as far as I remember they were hands down the best pair.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
shawn_kemp said:
Danny Markov DID play at the 2002 Olympics. He was paired with Tverdovsky, and as far as I remember they were hands down the best pair.

Yes, D.MARKOV was awesome in 2002...the problem is that was like the 3rd pair...and the first 2 pairings were filled with offensive dmen!

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Hart_House_Ca said:

Yes your entire purpose in life to track down every Russian hockey related post and try to make Russia as weak and bad as possible by all means necessary (be they true or not)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad