Russian and Belarussian players to be eligible for CHL Import Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
It was a decision taken to communicate with a public that was demanding action. I remind that 2 years ago, many campaigned to exclude Russian players from the NHL.

But in itself, it was a stupid and unethical decision (discriminating against teenagers because of their nationality...). Especially since this suited the Russian federation, which is very annoyed by the exodus of Russian prospects to North America.

The best thing (for NA politic) to do is instead to plunder the MHL as much as possible.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
One can appreciate the sentiment but Canadian Junior Hockey was never going to make any difference to Putin..

I am still completely behind the bans of their national teams.
This is my feeling as well. Allow them to compete in their individual capacity but don't let them represent the state.

Reactions: luiginb

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They miss out on Levshunov and they retract their stance.
Not as big a name but Matvei Gridin is committed to Michigan, leading scorer in the USHL this season. Both those guys are likely CHL Imports. With a lot of recent high end Canadians going USHL -> NCAA, the whole BCHL thing and the inability to attract any high end Americans anymore (seriously, the Quality 06 Americans playing in the CHL are… basically non-existent).. you do have to wonder if that factored in at all.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not as big a name but Matvei Gridin is committed to Michigan, leading scorer in the USHL this season. Both those guys are likely CHL Imports. With a lot of recent high end Canadians going USHL -> NCAA, the whole BCHL thing and the inability to attract any high end Americans anymore (seriously, the Quality 06 Americans playing in the CHL are… basically non-existent).. you do have to wonder if that factored in at all.
I think Americans have stuck to the NCAA for the most part recently.

Stay home, or at least in your country, get a degree, so if your hockey career doesn't work out, you still have that to fall back on, so males sense.

I've seen a decent influx of Russian players going to USHL/BCHL route recently. Not sure if that's coincidence with the war going on, or what.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think Americans have stuck to the NCAA for the most part recently.

Stay home, or at least in your country, get a degree, so if your hockey career doesn't work out, you still have that to fall back on, so males sense.

I've seen a decent influx of Russian players going to USHL/BCHL route recently. Not sure if that's coincidence with the war going on, or what.
There was a time not too long ago when a good chunk of the USNDTP would go to the CHL once they were done with their time in that program. Lately, it’s becoming more of a fallback option. Hunter Brzustewicz is the only one from the 04 team, he was originally committed to Michigan but likely feared he would be buried given their defensive depth in his draft year. Nobody from the 05 team went CHL and the entire 06 team has made college commitments.

There were always a good number of Russians/Belorussians that would opt for the CHL import draft. Them and the Czechs/Slovaks were generally the most common. Finns are pretty rare, Swedes you almost never see. And then the miscellaneous collectively account for a good number. I imagine a good chunk of the higher end kids playing in the USHL/BCHL the last couple years would have gone that route if available.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
All hockey in Russia is affiliated with the government to some degree or another. It's how its funded. What, because of "personal responsibility" all kids should be punished for just playing the game now?
Playing for the Sports Club of the Army or the Airborne Forces like certain recent CHL Import Draft picks is more multifaceted than "just playing the game".

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Playing for the Sports Club of the Army or the Airborne Forces like certain recent CHL Import Draft picks is more multifaceted than "just playing the game".

Stop being dishonest.
None of those teams have any direct connection to the armed forces. Names were kept for historical purposes.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Stop being dishonest.
None of those teams have any direct connection to the armed forces. Names were kept for historical purposes.
1582232372409.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad