OT: Russia/Ukraine and the Washington Capitals thread (mod warning post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Threats would not have to come from state officials. They could come from citizens or others who are upset or otherwise negatively impacted.

Famous and rich people have body guards and high end security systems for a reason. That gets amplified in a politically charged environment. Especially if a political connection is seen as contributing to someone's hardship, as may be the case if the RU economy tanks.

If we're talking about threats from the populace, Ovechkin is in more danger here. Russians are target #1.

If he speaks out against Putin, on the homefront he'll be saying what most Russians are probably thinking -> shit! this is a huge mistake.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If we're talking about threats from the populace, Ovechkin is in more danger here. Russians are target #1.

If he speaks out against Putin, on the homefront he'll be saying what most Russians are probably thinking -> shit! this is a huge mistake.

Some Russian expatriate banker just put a $1M bounty on Putin. Not a stretch to be concerned about similar things if you're seen as a Putin supporter.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Ok and it’s easy to be a keyboard warrior and say if you were in his position you would give that all up. And I’m not just talking about OV I’m talking about your average Russian citizen. Sure they will shit on the regime behind closed doors but will they do it publicly. Many are far too scared and for a good reason.

I'm not being a keyboard warrior, I'm giving my opinion based on life experiences over there.

There aren't public protests in Russia like we have in the US. But, generally speaking, it's not because people are afraid to protest. This is typical propaganda. It's because:
1. Putin is exceedingly popular as it it. There's nothing to protest against.
2. For those who hate Putin, there's still the sense that nothing will change, regardless of what they do.
3. Russia just doesn't have the ingrained culture of protest we have in the States. It's what our democracy was founded on.

But all this is slowly changing with the younger generations. Go look up the Snow Revolution from 10 years ago if you want proof.

Sorry, but there's nothing preventing Ovechkin from speaking out against Putin apart from ruining his hockey career over there.
Again, not an anti-Ovi rant. I think he should be able to speak his mind here - without any cancel culture repercussions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xoleraz and Hint1k

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
well, guys, you don't know much about Russia it seems

if you need my input and mods will allow it, I will right down what is happening and where ovi is in that
It's funny actually, western media always tries to paint us picture about Russia how they see it. It's not close when it comes to reality. I have been there plethora of times, both Moscow and St. Petersburg(Leningrad), i also have been traveling around the country quite a bit. And nothing, I mean nothing is as they are being told here. Finnish papers would not say one good thing about that country even if they had a gun on them.

Reactions: Raikkonen

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I've seen a handful of posters here, and a ton of posts elsewhere, claiming that Ovechkin's family being in Russia is the rationale behind why he didn't make any bolder statements against Putin in the press conference. Any Caps fans buying into that are willfully deceiving themselves. It doesn't matter if Ovie's wife, children, and parents were in Russia or sitting right next to him in DC, he would have made the "Putin is my President" statements and refused to rebuke Putin regardless. Ovechkin has a long and repeated history of outspoken support for Vladimir Putin. Well beyond what other Russian athletes have done. He's had multiple public appearances and photo ops with Putin. He's campaigned for Putin both in person and online. Not only is his Instagram profile still featuring Putin, but his multiple #PutinTeam posts from 2017 are still up, his picture of himself voting for Putin in the 2018 Russian election is still up, as is his 2014 post spouting Putin's propoganda about the illegal annexation of Crimea. The 2008 Georgian war didn't change Ovie's support for Putin. The The 2014 annexation of Crimea caused Ovie to double down on his support for Putin. He's flocked to pro-Putin issues inside of US politics. Why do people think he's not a supporter of Putin now?

His support goes well beyond what other Russian athletes are doing. And I'm not just talking about outspoken Putin critics, like Artemi Panarin. But Ovie's "no war" statement was caged around by talk of Putin being his president and a bunch of other p***yfooting. Nikita Zadorov and Andrey Rublev needed no such qualifications on their statements.

Ovechkin is our team's captain. He owns a piece of our hearts. He brought a major Championship to DC, something that hadn't been done in 25 years. He's the greatest goal scorer of our generation, and perhaps all time. But his geopolitical opinions are garbage. All of those things can coexist at once. Just because he's a great hockey player, and one of our favorites, doesn't mean we can't acknowledge that he's in the wrong on this issue. He doesn't need our "protection." Others calling him out on this doesn't make our fandom of him wrong. Plenty of our favorite athletes are assholes outside of the rink or off the field. We shouldn't be surprised that this also applies to Capitals players.

Do I think Ovechkin should be suspended or his captaincy stripped? Of course not. But the Capitals are going to have to find a way to get out in front of this issue in a more concrete way, and show support for Ukraine as an organization.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
It’s the NHL playoffs baby, anyone can make a run!

Haha perhaps - but we haven't even secured a playoff spot yet!

(Though admittedly the chances of us falling out of 8th are very very low- but never say never)

EstesSquare

Feb 24, 2022
BREAKING NEWS!!

CCM drops Ovechkin and all Russian hockey players.

Ovechkin also has lost 2 other sponsorship deals. rumored a clothing company. not sure which one if anyone knows you can add.

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
BREAKING NEWS!!

Ovechkin also has lost 2 other sponsorship deals. rumored a clothing company. not sure which one if anyone knows you can add.
Alexandr Ovechkin Estimated Career Earnings
q.svg
: $127,915,892

I'm sure he is going to be devastated.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Hive, lol. you're talking like there are only 2 opinions: yours and wrong.

I will tell you as much. Ovi will come back to Russia if it's what NHL wants. Without problem.

Because people in Russia are happy Putin started the clearing of the Ukraine. we are not happy he waited too long.

who are those nazi in Ukraine? they are US sponsored terrorists. this is why they are painted different on your side of the pond. that's your weapon against Russia.

fortunately, we have enough firepower to destroy NATO altogether and can now choose the measurements to deal with this situation.

I think Putin is too kind, he will just school some European clowns (which is preferable for US btw, could be its aim in the end) and then stop one day with much bigger area of control than a week ago

NATO is essentially trying to get us in a war. we know what it is, and some people are nervous about it. nobody wants it. but you're too welcoming, your wish is already granted.

those who talk against war are marginal people mostly. Russia is being run by older men, and you just can't meet them on the internet (or in Moscow bars, lol). that's why it could seem there is no support.

ppl don't need to openly support Putin often, because they are working, living their life and everything is going in right direction. only ppl not doing much in their life are spending time in places where you can read their comments. that's the probable source of takes I've read here today

is this enough of the picture?

Reactions: rlkaejrl

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
So I am curious to hear from people who know more about the situation in Russia. My knowledge is shaped by groups like Amnesty International and other human rights organizations that document countless human rights violations in Russia.

If OV were to really renounce Putin would he not become a pariah in Russia? Would he be allowed back in the country? Would his family members be victims of harassment and public shaming? Would he be treated like Panarin? Worse or better?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
let's word it that way: hockey is close to last thing we care about right now. football too, ofc.

we will finish the war and get back to talk how bad our soccer players are.

pity for ovi, but he will support the majority.

EstesSquare

Feb 24, 2022
Alexandr Ovechkin Estimated Career Earnings
q.svg
: $127,915,892

I'm sure he is going to be devastated.
This is only the beginning. He likely will not play in the NHL next season even if the USA or CANADA government doesnt suspend russian visas. He better hope the war ends in coming weeks

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
CCM to stop using Ovechkin, other Russian players in global marketing
BREAKING NEWS!!

And you are lying, AGAIN. Mods should ban you from here, your hate for Ovechkin is showing you keep coming up with anything to make him look bad, don't matter if its true or no. You can literally read in the article that they have not dropped anyone, just stopped for now. But i know it doesn't fit your agenda.

I quote from the article few lines:

"Although Mr. Ovechkin is not responsible for the Russian government's actions, we took the decision to not use him (or any Russian player) on any global CCM communication at this point."

The source said it's unlikely CCM will try to terminate its contracts with them.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
So I am curious to hear from people who know more about the situation in Russia. My knowledge is shaped by groups like Amnesty International and other human rights organizations that document countless human rights violations in Russia.

If OV were to really renounce Putin would he not become a pariah in Russia? Would he be allowed back in the country? Would his family members be victims of harassment and public shaming? Would he be treated like Panarin? Worse or better?
that's comedy. how do you think panarin is treated now?

he's young (let's not say dumb) and say things some people agree with. there are no consequences of saying you don't agree with government. zero. few ppl care what he says.

EstesSquare

Feb 24, 2022

Right now RUSSIA is basically a closed country. Meaning Putin and all his police military are not in service.

This is why people are protesting. They are bring thrown into buses and get sent to jail but nothing is going to happen to them. They will take their ID and in coming months or a year they will face a hearing and under old law yes they could be in trouble. The trouble is different for different people. Most cases they will lose their right to vote, be hard to get jobs, and possibly passports taken away.

However these protestors know or tend to believe after this war Russia will never be the same which is upsetting the Pro Putin supports. Its confusing i know.

So in terms of Ovechkin nothing can happen to him or his family directly. However if he comes out and says Putin should be overthrown blah blah. Then Putin police could target his family which is very doubtful.

The worst case scenario is Putin would try to tarnish his image like Panarin scenario.

In all honesty Putin is done after the war. So nothing will happen to anyone that stands up against him.

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland

Why would he, he likes him. Just like most of the Russia. You can say what you want, but Putin is very popular in Russia. Of course there are some who don't support him, but show me a country where there is no opposition and everyone supports their leaders.

EstesSquare

Feb 24, 2022
CCM to stop using Ovechkin, other Russian players in global marketing
And you are lying, AGAIN. Mods should ban you from here, your hate for Ovechkin is showing you keep coming up with anything to make him look bad, don't matter if its true or no. You can literally read in the article that they have not dropped anyone, just stopped for now. But i know it doesn't fit your agenda.

I quote from the article few lines:

"Although Mr. Ovechkin is not responsible for the Russian government's actions, we took the decision to not use him (or any Russian player) on any global CCM communication at this point."

The source said it's unlikely CCM will try to terminate its contracts with them.

Ovechkin will never get a sponsorship deal done again. Of course CCM can sign a russian in 2025 but it wont be any pro putin supporters. Ovi is done

EstesSquare

Feb 24, 2022
Why would he, he likes him. Just like most of the Russia. You can say what you want, but Putin is very popular in Russia. Of course there are some who don't support him, but show me a country where there is no opposition and everyone supports their leaders.

Russia has a lot of people. The people who truly love Putin are anti-west. They would hate hitler. DO NOT COMPARE PUTIN and RUSSIA to rebublicans democrats in the USA.

Russia is a closed country. They only watch their news. And i think people like you lack the understanding what is really shown on tv. It would shock you and likely you would think its fake. The things they tell Russians is like the worst version of backyard talk radio. Its disgusting. Disturbing. And at times hilarious that people would believe what they are being told. All for the name of keeping their communistic values close to them.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Right now RUSSIA is basically a closed country. Meaning Putin and all his police military are not in service.

This is why people are protesting. They are bring thrown into buses and get sent to jail but nothing is going to happen to them. They will take their ID and in coming months or a year they will face a hearing and under old law yes they could be in trouble. The trouble is different for different people. Most cases they will lose their right to vote, be hard to get jobs, and possibly passports taken away.

However these protestors know or tend to believe after this war Russia will never be the same which is upsetting the Pro Putin supports. Its confusing i know.

So in terms of Ovechkin nothing can happen to him or his family directly. However if he comes out and says Putin should be overthrown blah blah. Then Putin police could target his family which is very doubtful.

The worst case scenario is Putin would try to tarnish his image like Panarin scenario.

In all honesty Putin is done after the war. So nothing will happen to anyone that stands up against him.
basically everything you said is BS

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
///
fortunately, we have enough firepower to destroy NATO altogether and can now choose the measurements to deal with this situation.///
Thanks for providing your perspective from inside Russia. I for one appreciate having the opportunity to see diverse points of view.
With all respect, I'll select what seems the most obvious of your statements to question ... are you aware of any independent, non-aligned experts who support this contention, or is this your take based on the information available to you?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Russia is a closed country. They only watch their news. And i think people like you lack the understanding what is really shown on tv. It would shock you and likely you would think its fake. The things they tell Russians is like the worst version of backyard talk radio.
who watch News on TV? lol

I watch hockey with JoeB and Locker. I can live without watching news on TV for decade easily.
some don't like hockey and watch say Netflix or some other type of entertainment. most have apps on TV now which enable them to watch anything on demand. news will be the last thing to watch.

we use forums or similar. everyone chooses his preferable community and discuss things there.

it's common to know foreign languages (every educated person knows English at least). I know two foreign languages, for example. nothing is limiting me from getting info on the internet.

so, everything you said sounds like BS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad