GDT: Russia - Canada

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Canada was nastier and more opportunistic, not cute. Russians always try to get really cute vs. Canada but that doesn't work.

However, I think the 3 on 3 format is total bullsh*t and should be removed. It's not the way hockey is played and it doesn't reflect which team is better imo.
to be fair you are right 3 on 3 doesn't reflect which is better, but neither do single elimination games, or short tournaments.

But tournaments like this, with ever changing teams that get tossed together a week or two before the tournament compromises need to be made. Name of the game is just getting better with each game and playing the team in front of you

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
That's one reaction to a team of NHL players advancing to the semifinals.

I mean it pretty clear that not all NHL players are equal, the NHL players that Canada does have on this roster are bottom 6 players and it’s also a very young roster. So it’s still quite impressive given their 0-3 start.

Reactions: Rob

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
This was a pathetically fit ending to a pathetic tournament for Russia. Don't let the Group win in the preliminary round fool you, Russia was challenged by incredibly bad teams to the final whistle in every game except against Belarus, who were awful. It just seems that the quality of Russian hockey continues descending at a steady rate toward the toilet! This painfully highlights how few quality players the KHL has to offer. The corrupt SKA situation is a symptom of that.

And yes, covid aside, the low level of talent found on every roster shines a bright spotlight on how irrelevant this tournament is quickly becoming. In my opinion, a really bad tournament does more to hurt the cause than no tournament at all. It is a total joke to call this a World Championship! Whoever eventually wins the Gold, likely the USA or Canada, check out their roster and tell me you think this is the best in the world!

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I mean it pretty clear that not all NHL players are equal, the NHL players that Canada does have on this roster are bottom 6 players and it’s also a very young roster. So it’s still quite impressive given their 0-3 start.
Of course they are not all equal, but it is hyperbolic to compare it to a beer league roster.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Stecher deked half of Russia out of its jock. There were 100 million Russian jocks in the stands after the winning goal.

Ehh, Orlov deked out 3 Canadians too ... dude, 3 on 3 is a lottery. It's not really a reflection of which team is better. In truth, Russia was the more dominant team on the ice today, if you think 5 on 5. There were more segments of game play where Russia locked Canada in their zone than the other way around. The game was even enough though, Canada was more pragmatic and was perhaps better at creating situations 'out of nothing', getting pucks at the net, etc. It's Canada's style of play.

Reactions: L13

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
If Canada somehow managed to reach the final and win..I think it goes down as one of the greatest comeback stories in Canadian history, I mean they even had to rely on outside help to even qualify for the qf, when does that ever happen lol.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
This was a pathetically fit ending to a pathetic tournament for Russia. Don't let the Group win in the preliminary round fool you, Russia was challenged by incredibly bad teams to the final whistle in every game except against Belarus, who were awful. It just seems that the quality of Russian hockey continues descending at a steady rate toward the toilet! This painfully highlights how few quality players the KHL has to offer. The corrupt SKA situation is a symptom of that.

And yes, covid aside, the low level of talent found on every roster shines a bright spotlight on how irrelevant this tournament is quickly becoming. In my opinion, a really bad tournament does more to hurt the cause than no tournament at all. It is a total joke to call this a World Championship! Whoever eventually wins the Gold, likely the USA or Canada, check out their roster and tell me you think this is the best in the world!
I still remember a Russian fan posting that 'of course Sweden lost because Russia has all pros'.. when I asked what they think of the SEL.. it was shit. Apparantly, only 'professional hockey is KHL and NHL which Russia had both of????

To be honest.. I LOVE this tournament but it doesn't impace in anyway who is the best in the world.

However, a best on best happens about as often a new album from Guns N Roses.

It's a hockey problem.

Even if Russia won this.. what does it prove? Or the Czechs? nothing!!!

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

Man, win or lose, it’s supposed to be fun. You’re not gonna get a best team, even in the Olympics. Just try to enjoy something for what it is.

The fact this tourney is even happening, getting fans in there, is a massive triumph.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The rosters were always going to be weird because of COVID-19.

Anyone trying to draw inferences about the tournament or international hockey in general based on this tournament in any capacity is fooling themselves.

I wasn't going to question Canada's hockey and developmental programme if they were eliminated in the round robin and just chalk it up to unusual circumstances.

It's like the 2018 Olympics - will be remembered as a bit of an oddity.

I don't think anyone should be taking any result too harshly IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: L13

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Man, win or lose, it’s supposed to be fun. You’re not gonna get a best team, even in the Olympics. Just try to enjoy something for what it is.

The fact this tourney is even happening, getting fans in there, is a massive triumph.

Fun? I mean, you have got to be kidding! This was the most boring tournament in the history of hockey, because the quality of player on every team was just dog crap! Timkin? Shvets-Rogovoy? Kamenev? Give me a break! I suppose it was fun if you are from Canada, where the "Gang of Nobodies" survives a QF after barely qualifying for it, but no one else was having much fun. The venue (Latvia) was horrible and drab, and even watching it on TV, it was so poorly set up that it looked like the cameras were set on the surface of the Moon. However it ends, this tournament is one to forget!

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Canada has 20 NHL-players. Finland has 2... :D

The assertion that all NHL players are better than all non-NHL players is ridiculous. If anyone has credibly suggested that players in the KHL, SHL SM-Liiga or the Swiss league couldn't fill NHL rosters, that person doesn't watch much hockey. Canada sent a roster that is, by any Canadian standard, pretty star-less. An 18-year-old who has not even been drafted yet is one of their best defenders. We have sent much stronger rosters that lost out in the quarters, but these guys have done an awful lot. They've earned every word of praise they get.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
The assertion that all NHL players are better than all non-NHL players is ridiculous. If anyone has credibly suggested that players in the KHL, SHL SM-Liiga or the Swiss league couldn't fill NHL rosters, that person doesn't watch much hockey. Canada sent a roster that is, by any Canadian standard, pretty star-less. An 18-year-old who has not even been drafted yet is one of their best defenders. We have sent much stronger rosters that lost out in the quarters, but these guys have done an awful lot. They've earned every word of praise they get.

Yes and like others have mentioned, Canada has sent much better star studded rosters to this tournament only to lose in the QF, yet this team has already gotten further than those ones.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada

Exactly. Essentially all of Russia's roster could play in the NHL. Just because they aren't doesn't mean they can't be better than players who do play in the NHL.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Fun? I mean, you have got to be kidding! This was the most boring tournament in the history of hockey, because the quality of player on every team was just dog crap! Timkin? Shvets-Rogovoy? Kamenev? Give me a break! I suppose it was fun if you are from Canada, where the "Gang of Nobodies" survives a QF after barely qualifying for it, but no one else was having much fun. The venue (Latvia) was horrible and drab, and even watching it on TV, it was so poorly set up that it looked like the cameras were set on the surface of the Moon. However it ends, this tournament is one to forget!

If you look for the bad in every situation, you will find it.

Hope that’s works out for you.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If Canada somehow managed to reach the final and win..I think it goes down as one of the greatest comeback stories in Canadian history, I mean they even had to rely on outside help to even qualify for the qf, when does that ever happen lol.

If Norway doesn’t beat Latvia and Germany with a regulation win over Kazakhstan, Canada misses the QF for the first time in our history.

Crazy how things could have went differently.

Credit to these Canadian guys for sticking together and battling through adversity after the 0-3 start. Hopefully we keep it going now and close this out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad