Russia being present would not change which teams were awarded medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I'll try to put it in the most neutral fashion I am able. I don't think Russia competing at these Worlds would change much.

While many argue that international is missing Russia... Russia misses high-level international competition far more. NA, Scandinavians, Central Europe or Latvia lost "merely" one single powerhouse. Russia lost all of this high-quality international opposition.

What I am getting at... is that they would likely underperform compared to their "strength" on paper. And don't bring motivation into this. That street goes both ways.

Kamenski might claim that IIHF will come begging the Russian Hockey Federation to return, but... I am pretty sure this WJC slapped regardless.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I'll try to put it in the most neutral fashion I am able. I don't think Russia competing at these Worlds would change much.

While many argue that international is missing Russia... Russia misses high-level international competition far more. NA, Scandinavians, Central Europe or Latvia lost "merely" one single powerhouse. Russia lost all of this high-quality international opposition.

What I am getting at... is that they would likely underperform compared to their "strength" on paper. And don't bring motivation into this. That street goes both ways.

Kamenski might claim that IIHF will come begging the Russian Hockey Federation to return, but... I am pretty sure this WJC slapped regardless.
Very strange assumption there, do I understand correctly that you're trying to say that in a once-in-a-lifetime WJC tournament while also being sort of under additional pressure due to all the political situation they wouldn't be motivated enough?

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Considering Russia has been winning most medals despite lacking in gold…
Reading comprehension Vladimir.

Very strange assumption there, do I understand correctly that you're trying to say that in a once-in-a-lifetime WJC tournament while also being sort of under additional pressure due to all the political situation they wouldn't be motivated enough?
No, not at all. I was trying to say they’d suffer from lack of matches against international opponents that are close to their level of skill.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
No, not at all. I was trying to say they’d suffer from lack of matches against international opponents that are close to their level of skill.
Oh, ok, I guess I misunderstood the part about the motivation then.

International experience matters, but it is very debatable to which degree, not to mention that guys like Michkov, Ivanov and Miroshnichenko actually have some of it.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Oh, ok, I guess I misunderstood the part about the motivation then.

International experience matters, but it is very debatable to which degree, not to mention that guys like Michkov, Ivanov and Miroshnichenko actually have some of it.
Haven’t had it in a while abd it’s gonna matter more with each season without international matches on the biggest stage.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Haven’t had it in a while abd it’s gonna matter more with each season without international matches on the biggest stage.
Not exactly sure what you meant here, it's not like Michkov and others will be eligible next season.

However I think it needs to be clarified what type of tournaments previously contributed to the Russian team in order of importance:

1. Previous year's WJC (for very limited number of players)
2. U18 WJC two years before
3. The series against the CHL teams (for non-leaders)
4. 4 Nations tournament and the Black Sea Cup (the latter is still there though)

I think it is obvious that not having the 2. part is what hurts the most here. Still with the increased number of talent being produced in Russia in the corresponding birth years I think it is reasonable to expect that it would be compensated by that.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
If you enjoyed watching blowouts, then sure.
3 of 4 quarterfinals were one goal games.

Sweden lost and won its semifinals and finals in the last period.

Bronze medal game was decided in the last two minutes. US semifinal was close.

Group matches at WJC being blowouts isn’t a novelty Mikhail.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

What if they scrimmaged KHL teams as preparation? KHL>>>WJC

If the Russian Federation knew their kids were playing in these u20s, surely they’d prepare them.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
International experience could help a bit of course, but players from the KHL play against far better teams all the time. I really don't think the future Russian WJC teams will be hindered by lack of U18 games against Latvia at all.

And I disagree about motivation completely: first of all, highly skilled teams benefit from extra motivation way more than weak teams; second of all, Russian players would have far more extra motivation after not being allowed to compete than any other team due to Russia being allowed to compete.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I find it so silly how the west has reacted to this. The whole point of sports is to remind everyone that we’re all human. None of the people involved in the team, especially the actual kids playing have a choice in the war, in fact letting them play might help them survive.

I miss having Russia there. Hope our Russian posters, many of whom I’ve seen posting here for like 10 years are okay. Would be nice to talk Hockey with them rather than politics. God I wish we all stopped taking politics online.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Russia has only missed the semifinals Four times since the knock-out stage was implemented in 1996 and 2021, the last tournament before the ban. Every other time they were on the podium themselves or someone had to beat them for bronze, so I would say there’s a high likelihood it could change the podium. While they’ve only won it four times since then, they’re often “in the mix” at least and routinely rout the lesser nations (at least one of whom would be sent down, possibly two if Belarus could hang around… they had been showing much better results at recent U-18s) and manage to be competitive with the bigger ones.

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
I find it so silly how the west has reacted to this. The whole point of sports is to remind everyone that we’re all human. None of the people involved in the team, especially the actual kids playing have a choice in the war, in fact letting them play might help them survive.

I miss having Russia there. Hope our Russian posters, many of whom I’ve seen posting here for like 10 years are okay. Would be nice to talk Hockey with them rather than politics. God I wish we all stopped taking politics online.
this is a very naive opinion and you clearly have no idea what is actually going on right now

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Imo (at the WJC) Russia would have an advantage because their best 19 year olds would be playing while other countries’ top 19 year olds are in the National League.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
this is a very naive opinion and you clearly have no idea what is actually going on right now
No, he is correct. These are amateur athletes. It’d be one thing if the NHL wasn’t still drafting Russians etc.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Imo (at the WJC) Russia would have an advantage because their best 19 year olds would be playing while other countries’ top 19 year olds are in the National League.
That’s due to the CHL Import Ban. Russian teenagers would be more likely to appear in the nhl if they were still eligible to play in the CHL. Many did when the option was there because they didn’t want to get dinged for “character concerns” in the draft if they didn’t state that the domestic league they grew up watching was horrible and stupid and they’d rather stick their head in paint than play there (only a slight exaggeration).

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
No, he is correct. These are amateur athletes. It’d be one thing if the NHL wasn’t still drafting Russians etc.
russians still can be drafted, but russia as a country should not be included in any tournaments. Its not about the players but about the country they represent

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That’s due to the CHL Import Ban. Russian teenagers would be more likely to appear in the nhl if they were still eligible to play in the CHL. Many did when the option was there because they didn’t want to get dinged for “character concerns” in the draft if they didn’t state that the domestic league they grew up watching was horrible and stupid and they’d rather stick their head in paint than play there (only a slight exaggeration).
Would top Russian prospects be allowed to leave their clubs? Seems like the elite guys are signed to contracts that keep them in their domestic league into their early 20’s.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Why should we even bother having any tournaments when you can just tell us who would win anyway

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Would top Russian prospects be allowed to leave their clubs? Seems like the elite guys are signed to contracts that keep them in their domestic league into their early 20’s.
They don’t usually sign contracts like that before establishing themselves in the KHL. Imports would head over after their age 16 and before their age 17 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad