World Cup: Russia Banned From World Cup Qualifiers

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I would also like to add that the West boycotted the 1980 Games because of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in which the Soviets tried to prop up pretty much most of the same folks we then tried to prop up after 2002 while the West did their boycott in support of the folks in Afghanistan who then flew a few planes into buildings on the U.S. East Coast on a September morning in 2001. That U.S. stance hasn't really aged very well.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Fixed that for you

The way it is escalating we might not even have a world this year...

Belarusian President Blatantly Rolls Out Invasion Map on TV

Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko addressed his security council Tuesday with a map explicitly showing troop movements through Ukraine, just hours after the Ukrainian parliament confirmed the presence of Belarusian troops in Ukraine. The leader’s map split Ukraine into four parts of its operational command and showed movements into Moldova for the first time, sending one of the strongest signals yet that Belarus plans to come to Russia’s aid despite Lukashenko’s previous denials.

Just Ukraine......aaaaand Moldova.......aaaaand......Romania next?

Reactions: Jussi

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Fixed that for you

Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko addressed his security council Tuesday with a map explicitly showing troop movements through Ukraine, just hours after the Ukrainian parliament confirmed the presence of Belarusian troops in Ukraine. The leader’s map split Ukraine into four parts of its operational command and showed movements into Moldova for the first time, sending one of the strongest signals yet that Belarus plans to come to Russia’s aid despite Lukashenko’s previous denials.

Dude, the area marked on that map is Transnistria where there are already Russian troops and have been since essentially WW2. Why would Russia attack its own troops in Transnistria? Seems more like they plan that their troops pushing up from Odessa will link up with the forces in Transnistria and cut off the SW-most part of Ukraine.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So are they gonna do like a 3 team mini tournament between the 3 teams left in path B or something? I don’t imagine Poland is just going to get a bye into the final here.
If UEFA and FIFA are banning them from competitions, doesn't that give us the win since Russia will be given the auto-loss? It's not like Poland knew Russia was eventually going to invade when they were drawn together (neither did the draw know).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Fairly intelligent post by the Russian captain representative of what I wrote earlier.
Politics and sports should not be mixed and they pride themselves of not being mixed.
Yet Russia is treated differently from other countries.
Doesn't excuse the war obviously, but just that Russian sports men and women should not be targeted.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Would Russia be allowed to play if all the players posted on instagram with the #IHatePutin?

Shouldn't we then support those who are against this "evil"? Because now we are punishing all Russians - just because they are Russian (and haven't been able to get anyone better to lead them).

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Fairly intelligent post by the Russian captain representative of what I wrote earlier.
Politics and sports should not be mixed and they pride themselves of not being mixed.
Doesn't excuse the war obviously, but just that Russian sports men and women should not be targeted.
Anyone who thinks Russia hasn't mixed politics and sports is pretty much ignoring history.
Would Russia be allowed to play if all the players posted on instagram with the #IHatePutin?

Shouldn't we then support those who are against this "evil"? Because now we are punishing all Russians - just because they are Russian (and haven't been able to get anyone better to lead them).
No, they shouldn't be allowed to. Players shouldn't be kicked off their club teams, but I don't see the issue with restricting the national team. The idea is to punish Russia and national teams are symbols of Russia.

I also am iffy, thinking about it, on banning Russian club teams. The only banned team is Spartak Moscow, though, and its owners are oligarchs in Russia's oil industry and may face sanctions. And there are other issues in terms of sending RBL into a country on the precipice of martial law.

For what it's worth, in other situations, I would be okay with Russian athletes competing but not under the Russian flag. But when it comes to national teams, it's different. Perhaps unfair, but at the end of the day, I'm not really interested in the argument that Russian athletes are the real victims here, especially when we've seen Ukrainian athletes who have been killed trying to protect their country.

As for bolded, yes, completely. I think the West should open its borders to any Russian national who wants to leave Russia.

Reactions: luiginb

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

I found it ill-timed, inconsiderate despite his commenting on the war (which considering the entire post I found disingenuous) and out of touch. Then again I don't have any sympathy for the plight of Russian football considering the circumstances even if it is hypocritical considering the treatment other countries have or have not faced.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Anyone who thinks Russia hasn't mixed politics and sports is pretty much ignoring history.

No, they shouldn't be allowed to. Players shouldn't be kicked off their club teams, but I don't see the issue with restricting the national team. The idea is to punish Russia and national teams are symbols of Russia.

I also am iffy, thinking about it, on banning Russian club teams. The only banned team is Spartak Moscow, though, and its owners are oligarchs in Russia's oil industry and may face sanctions. And there are other issues in terms of sending RBL into a country on the precipice of martial law.

For what it's worth, in other situations, I would be okay with Russian athletes competing but not under the Russian flag. But when it comes to national teams, it's different. Perhaps unfair, but at the end of the day, I'm not really interested in the argument that Russian athletes are the real victims here, especially when we've seen Ukrainian athletes who have been killed trying to protect their country.

As for bolded, yes, completely. I think the West should open its borders to any Russian national who wants to leave Russia.

I guess I mostly agree with that. We now got Russian Chess players denied the opportunity to play. Same with cross country skiers. What have they done other than being born in Russia?

For cross country one of the most talented skiers in the history of the sport might now be banned for years. To me this is absurd and I hope when things “cool down” a bit things will be modified.

Representing Russia as a team. That is trickier. But again it is very odd if you allow North Korea to play and not Russia etc.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I found it ill-timed, inconsiderate despite his commenting on the war (which considering the entire post I found disingenuous) and out of touch. Then again I don't have any sympathy for the plight of Russian football considering the circumstances even if it is hypocritical considering the treatment other countries have or have not faced.
The timing? He's responding to insults from guys like Yarmolenko.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Should add. There are athletes in China who were to compete in the Paralympics who are now sent home.

I do not know how it is to be handicapped in Russia, but I can imagine it is tough for many. And judging from how much the Paralympics means for Norwegian athletes I would guess it means at least as much for the Russians. That is just brutal and unexplainable to me. I get that Russia has to be “punished” in some way, but to punish athletes in Paralympics is some sort of new low for me.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
sanctions including removal of sporting competition are designed to be a 'death by a thousand cuts' it's not about being fair, in fact it's pretty much the opposite, it's about building pressure on govt through civilian unrest.

Also sports are used as a way to present a positive image of a country to the world, whether they want to or not they directly represent their country.

Reactions: luiginb

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Fixed that for you

If he weren't such a moron, I would be certain that this was a negotiating tactic that the kremlin wanted leaked before they "settled" for taking a lot less. But Lukashenko is such a dips*** that it may be a genuine f*** up.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
sanctions including removal of sporting competition are designed to be a 'death by a thousand cuts' it's not about being fair, in fact it's pretty much the opposite, it's about building pressure on govt through civilian unrest.

Also sports are used as a way to present a positive image of a country to the world, whether they want to or not they directly represent their country.

I don’t think there is much risk that people would forget Ukraine just because some Russians competed in sports.

As for building this pressure. How well has that worked for North Korea, Iran, Venezuela etc? Can one even find one example where sanctions have led to clear improvement of a situation? And why wouldn’t the opposite work just as well? Showing Russian athletes that the rest of the world is different (hopefully better)? Wouldn’t that cause that social unrest one would be hoping for?

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world

I don't condone the war at all and I hope that piece of shit Putin gets what's coming to him.. That said, I am not 100% with shunning Russian companies, sports teams, etc... when the world has turned a blind to other countries' misdeeds. It's extremely hypocritical.

Reactions: Evilo

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
I don’t think there is much risk that people would forget Ukraine just because some Russians competed in sports.

As for building this pressure. How well has that worked for North Korea, Iran, Venezuela etc? Can one even find one example where sanctions have led to clear improvement of a situation? And why wouldn’t the opposite work just as well? Showing Russian athletes that the rest of the world is different (hopefully better)? Wouldn’t that cause that social unrest one would be hoping for?

Yelstin got power because Gorbachev's falling popularity caused by the Afghan War and an economic crisis, which led to the end of the USSR
Putin got power because of Yeltsin's falling popularity caused by the Chechen War and an economic crisis

as for sanctions working, it's something that has been used since 'Ancient Greece' so if they didn't work they'd have long since been abandoned, obviously there are varying levels of success with them, and you see a significant decrease in their impact if sanctions are unilateral, however these ones are widely imposed, and based on history it seems wars + economic crisis cause leadership changes in Russia/USSR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad