WJC: Russia 2019 Roster Talk | Mod Note in OP

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Shashkov takes the final roster spot. Hope that doesn't mean something not too good about Kovalenko.

Glad he made the team, I've been a big proponent of his, but it's sad he had to do it on the back of Chek not making it because I think this team needs Chek more than Shashkov, HOWEVER, I think Shashkov is going to add a different element to the team and he'll still help.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Glad he made the team, I've been a big proponent of his, but it's sad he had to do it on the back of Chek not making it because I think this team needs Chek more than Shashkov, HOWEVER, I think Shashkov is going to add a different element to the team and he'll still help.
You know, the experience is very important. Chekhovich & Khovanov play junior league, Shashkov plays the KHL. That is all.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think fans like the idea of Podkolzin more than his game. He's taking on this mythical status that I don't think he deserves. Good prospect, but as good as Svechnikov? Outrageous claim, in my opinion.

I'm struggling to see how he's even close to the level of prospect that Svechnikov is. Svechnikov was criticized for only scoring five points playing in a fourth line role with grinders a year ago. Podkolzin has played on a line with two of Russia's most skilled forwards, and he has zero points. I'd put him on the PP, but his minutes aren't even that low. He's delivered some big hits and had some nice shifts, but he's not playing anywhere near as well as Svechnikov did a year ago. Svechnikov was dominant in the OHL in his draft year. Podkolzin has been pedestrian in the MHL and VHL.

Reactions: greasysnapper

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I think fans like the idea of Podkolzin more than his game. He's taking on this mythical status that I don't think he deserves. Good prospect, but as good as Svechnikov? Outrageous claim, in my opinion.

I'm struggling to see how he's even close to the level of prospect that Svechnikov is. Svechnikov was criticized for only scoring five points playing in a fourth line role with grinders a year ago. Podkolzin has played on a line with two of Russia's most skilled forwards, and he has zero points. I'd put him on the PP, but his minutes aren't even that low. He's delivered some big hits and had some nice shifts, but he's not playing anywhere near as well as Svechnikov did a year ago. Svechnikov was dominant in the OHL in his draft year. Podkolzin has been pedestrian in the MHL and VHL.

Who says he's better than Svechnikov?

This year's draft just doesn't have any players as good as Dahlin or Svechnikov, which is why Podkolzin has risen to #2 on some lists.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who says he's better than Svechnikov?

This year's draft just doesn't have any players as good as Dahlin or Svechnikov, which is why Podkolzin has risen to #2 on some lists.

You are right. No one has said so yet. I'm giving an answer though to the question, and I think Svechnikov is much better.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

"Struggling to see" how he's close to Svechnikov? From what I can see so far, at the same age as Svechnikov, he has outshone him in the WJC. I thought Svechnikov did well in the latter games of the tournament last year, and he may have been among the best skilled on the team, but he didn't set the ice of fire or serve as a catalyst for victory. Podkolzin is using his amazing skill set as a catalyst to making things happen. You may be the only observer who doesn't agree that the has been one of Russia's most explosive players. Is Svechnikov more talented and valuable than Podkolzin? That question can only be resolved in the next few days.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
After watching Podkolzin in this tournament I am sold. He should become Russia's next superstar, he has all the tools to become one. He is doing pretty amazing things already, he just needs to mature and have some experience under his belt.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
"Struggling to see" how he's close to Svechnikov? From what I can see so far, at the same age as Svechnikov, he has outshone him in the WJC. I thought Svechnikov did well in the latter games of the tournament last year, and he may have been among the best skilled on the team, but he didn't set the ice of fire or serve as a catalyst for victory. Podkolzin is using his amazing skill set as a catalyst to making things happen. You may be the only observer who doesn't agree that the has been one of Russia's most explosive players. Is Svechnikov more talented and valuable than Podkolzin? That question can only be resolved in the next few days.

Thats what I'm saying. Podkolzin hits a couple players hard or refuses to shake another player's hand in the handshake line, and it adds to the perception of his performance more than it should. We are told he's a "catalyst" or he's "explosive", its not about good statistical production. Thats should be a prerequisite, if we are going to compare him to one of the more elite winger prospects in recent years.

Svechnikov was 1PPG at this tournament last season with low minutes. Podkolzin has 1 point in 3 games, yet you are telling me he's "outshone" Svechnikov. If Dach or Zegras didn't produce the points they'd be expected to at the club level, their draft stock would drop. Why doesn't it for Podkolzin? Is it because there is a lot of lazy analysis when it comes to Russian players with a tendency to way overrate international tournaments? I think it is. I think your comment that Podkolzin vs. Svechnikov will be resolved in the next few days shows that tendency to overrate international tournaments.

Also, I've not said that he's not been one of Russia's most explosive players, but I don't see how being one of Russia's most explosive players in this tournament makes him anywhere close to as good as Svechnikov. Svechnikov was the #2 pick in the last draft and he's playing well in the NHL this season.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Thats what I'm saying. Podkolzin hits a couple players hard or refuses to shake another player's hand in the handshake line, and it adds to the perception of his performance more than it should. We are told he's a "catalyst" or he's "explosive", its not about good statistical production. Thats should be a prerequisite, if we are going to compare him to one of the more elite winger prospects in recent years.

Svechnikov was 1PPG at this tournament last season with low minutes. Podkolzin has 1 point in 3 games, yet you are telling me he's "outshone" Svechnikov. If Dach or Zegras didn't produce the points they'd be expected to at the club level, their draft stock would drop. Why doesn't it for Podkolzin? Is it because there is a lot of lazy analysis when it comes to Russian players with a tendency to way overrate international tournaments? I think it is. I think your comment that Podkolzin vs. Svechnikov will be resolved in the next few days shows that tendency to overrate international tournaments.

Also, I've not said that he's not been one of Russia's most explosive players, but I don't see how being one of Russia's most explosive players in this tournament makes him anywhere close to as good as Svechnikov. Svechnikov was the #2 pick in the last draft and he's playing well in the NHL this season.
I agree, Svechnikov was absolutely on another level than Podkolzin. Svechnikov was just so hyped for so long that he lost his new toy shine by the draft, playing in Carolina now keeps him hidden a bit too. I think a lot of the promise with Podkolzin is in how raw he is and the room for growth he still has, whereas Svechnikov was so polished and experienced at high levels already. Podkolzin spent last year playing in a u17 league and has now forced his way onto PP1 for Russia in the World Juniors, that is unprecedented. Watching the games he is explosive and a catalyst for big plays but doesn't yet have the maturity to consistently dominate. His package of skills is clearly on an elite level though, has made plays each game that even most other top prospects don't make.

Dach has had an underwhelming run statistically in the WHL but there has been no talk of him dropping, because the level of his play for those watching has not considerably slipped. What it says on the scoresheet will never compare to actually watching the games. Look even at the NHL level where Laine had an 18 goal month sandwiched between two 3 goal months, sample size matters and there really isn't the domestic evidence to statistically say Podkolzin has underwhelmed.

I agree there's a bit of the mystery factor for Russian based players but the people that are high on him are the ones who have been watching him in Russia. I do think international performance when consistently repeated does have some bearing though, not like he's been a flash in the pan one good tournament guy, he has consistently been a standout against his peers and older players everywhere he has gone.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
Podkolzin has been playing well, but not amazing (obviously). He's made mistakes and he's had some nice hits and moves, he's made a very key pass for Morozov's goal against the Swiss that few players would've made. I can see he wants to flash some skill but realizes that he's going to get overpowered likely at this level and plays it safe.

After listening to his interviews, it seems like he has a very correct approach to his development path. He openly admitted to not being good enough for NHL for a while and his intent to work hard back home. I can see him being an exceptional leader down the line as he brings intangible qualities while playing a solid game.

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
I like the way Podkolzin plays. He is not afraid of physical game and always tries to create opportunities for his line-mates. He does make mistakes, but his mistakes are mostly due to risks he takes, not due to the lack of effort.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
Hey guys!!!
Could you give me your opinion on Valeri Bragin?
Is he considered a very good coach? I mean he has been coaching the Russian junior teams since I can remember, so he must be good. I would be really glad if you can tell me what is his coaching style and also if there is a similar NHL coach to him. Also if some Russian friends can give the Russian perspective / opinion about him.
I really like how he always dresses with a suit and seems very serious and paying attention, but I am just learning about coaches and coaching styles. Have an amazing 2019!!! :)

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
You are right. No one has said so yet. I'm giving an answer though to the question, and I think Svechnikov is much better.

Could you explain your answer? I'm not saying you are wrong, but just want the benefit of your analysis of what Svechnikov can do much better than Podkolzin? I've watched them both, and they are truly gifted, but don't quite comprehend why Svechnikov is "much better" than Podkolzin.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
He said it all. Svechnkov - 5 points in 5 games. Podkolzin - 1 in 3. The sample size is just enormous. One could really analyze so much using this.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Could you explain your answer? I'm not saying you are wrong, but just want the benefit of your analysis of what Svechnikov can do much better than Podkolzin? I've watched them both, and they are truly gifted, but don't quite comprehend why Svechnikov is "much better" than Podkolzin.

I think Svechnikov's just a tick or two better in most categories. I think Podkolzin might be a better puck carrier and I think he plays a better defensive game right now, but I think Svechnikov is a better point producer, skater, goal scorer, playmaker, possession-player and I think he has a better hockey IQ. Similar size, but I think Svechnikov plays heavier. He also has a better track record of success. He's been considered one of the best players in his age group for years. Podkolzin being mentioned towards the top of his age group around the world has been more recent.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I think Svechnikov's just a tick or two better in most categories. I think Podkolzin might be a better puck carrier and I think he plays a better defensive game right now, but I think Svechnikov is a better point producer, skater, goal scorer, playmaker, possession-player and I think he has a better hockey IQ. Similar size, but I think Svechnikov plays heavier. He also has a better track record of success. He's been considered one of the best players in his age group for years. Podkolzin being mentioned towards the top of his age group around the world has been more recent.

I'm afraid you're not giving me much to work with. How do I equate a "tick or two" better with "much better?" There is no measured data on "hockey IQ, possession-player quality, or skater." You can visually observe and measure skating speed, stickhandling ability, passing ability, shot speed and so on, but like Svechnikov, Podkolzin is a rare talent who excels in all of those categories on an international scale, from what I have observed. He was the dominant world player in the Gretzky/Hlinka tournament, the showcase of the world's best U18 talent, and also the World Junior A Challenge in December. In the Gretzky/Hlinka, he stickhandled the length of the ice, through the entire teams, to score clutch late game goals against the USA and Sweden. To my observation, he has been one of the most dynamic and dangerous skaters for Russia, and also one of its toughest players, in this WJC. I'm still not convinced that he is far behind Svechnikov or anyone else in his age group.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Well, failed to get Gold this year once again. Unfortunately, the boys were again resorting to "rambo" tactics and not playing well as a team. Granted, we did organise some good scoring chances on passes, etc., but there luck didn't go our way. Puck control when under pressure also seems to be an issue, the boys have trouble receiving and giving accurate passes. Bragin has been around long enough already and I think it's obvious to him that Russia needs Gold, Silver or Bronze alone don't really do it. Can we actually get Gold with Bragin, or what exactly needs to occur?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad