• Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Can someone please explain the case for the Caps here?

I would argue that they have fewer roadblocks to make the playoffs. Only major injuries are Backstrom and Wilson.

Backstrom won’t be back, but I would argue that the Caps upgraded at center with the Strome acquisition. Connor Brown is a nice addition, and Kuemper is a massive upgrade in goal.

For the Bruins, only additions are Zacha and Krejci. Not sure how it will work, but Marchand and McAvoy’s absence in a tougher Atlantic division may be difficult to overcome.

That’s my point of view, biased of course, but the Bruins and Caps being ranked 13/14 is fair.

Reactions: um

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I would argue that they have fewer roadblocks to make the playoffs. Only major injuries are Backstrom and Wilson.

Backstrom won’t be back, but I would argue that the Caps upgraded at center with the Strome acquisition. Connor Brown is a nice addition, and Kuemper is a massive upgrade in goal.

For the Bruins, only additions are Zacha and Krejci. Not sure how it will work, but Marchand and McAvoy’s absence in a tougher Atlantic division may be difficult to overcome.

That’s my point of view, biased of course, but the Bruins and Caps being ranked 13/14 is fair.
Interesting. I have my own bias but I don’t view it as particularly close.

I would view it as Boston adding Krejci, Zacha and Lindholm as Lindholm only played 9 games.

The Bruins were a top 4 team once they split up the Bergeron line at Christmas, but Hall and Pasta couldn’t carry Haula come playoff time against a defensively stout Carolina team that didn’t give up a lot on the rush. Adding Krejci should massively change the versatility and makeup of that line.

Kuzy and Strome are some of the worst top 6 defensive centers in the NHL and I really view Backstrom to Strome as a downgrade of epic proportions.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I would view it as Boston adding Krejci, Zacha and Lindholm as Lindholm only played 9 games.

The Bruins were a top 4 team once they split up the Bergeron line at Christmas, but Hall and Pasta couldn’t carry Haula come playoff time against a defensively stout Carolina team that didn’t give up a lot on the rush. Adding Krejci should massively change the versatility and makeup of that line.

Kuzy and Strome are some of the worst top 6 defensive centers in the NHL and I really view Backstrom to Strome as a downgrade of epic proportions.

Backstrom down to Strome would normally be a huge downgrade… but the Caps barely had a functional Backstrom last year. He missed many games, and he was a shell of himself last year.

I’m more confident going into the season with Strome at #2C at this point.

Also, the other point I didn’t mention is the coaching change for the Bruins. There’s multiple unknowns in the equation.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008

your assuming Krejci is the same player from 2 years ago. Id also argue the caps getting even a mediocre Kuemper is twice the upgrade to the team then adding those 3 players to the bruins. The cap dumpster fire goaltending the last 2 seasons kept them from winning a round or two or more. THey took the presidents trophy winners to 6 games and would have beaten them had they not had goalies allowing unscreened wrist shots from 50' out. Sammy and Vanny were the worst goalies in the league. That all said I dont know how the team will be with the other pieces they have added and missing Wilson and Backstrom. The bruins have gotten old too with some of their key players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad