Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I say no.

Nurse still does a LOT more good than bad for this team.

Coming in here after a game like last night to score some easy "lol Nurse sucks" points is kind of cheap.

Marner's contract expiring matters little since it still means we still can't replace Nurse.
unless it s total flip of nurse for marner then marner straight to ottawa for one of their decent dmen. we need to find a young replacement cause this team is in big trouble if ekholm declines any time soon

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I’d trade nurse for Marner but it’d be contingent on also bringing in an excellent top 4 defender somehow to replace him. Marner would finally solidify the top 6, but I dont do it if there’s no plan to upgrade the top 4 D. D is of paramount importance, especially running young goalies.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I’d trade nurse for Marner but it’d be contingent on also bringing in an excellent top 4 defender somehow to replace him. Marner would finally solidify the top 6, but I dont do it if there’s no plan to upgrade the top 4 D. D is of paramount importance, especially running young goalies.

I remember way back when Nylander was going to sign his original 6m deal I wanted Nylander for nurse straight up.

Marner at 11 million doesn't work on this team. Plus he's a playoff no show. We don't need to stat pad in regular season. We already do that.

NashtoNowitzki

Jan 8, 2019
I remember way back when Nylander was going to sign his original 6m deal I wanted Nylander for nurse straight up.

Marner at 11 million doesn't work on this team. Plus he's a playoff no show. We don't need to stat pad in regular season. We already do that.
Yes marner at $11M is pretty ugly, but you can't look at it that way. Look at it as going from Nurse to Marner and only adding $1.75M to the cap. Then it seems like a pretty great deal. Marner is a much much better player than Nurse.

Also the playoff no show reputation is primarily a media whipping boy false narrative. Playoff no shows don't have 50 pts in 57 career playoff games. He's had good games and bad games, that core failed as a team, it wasn't all his fault.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Replacing Nurse will not be that hard...2nd pair LD are probably among the easier assets to find in this league. It's just that we don't have a real pro scouting department that knows how to evaluate talent.

Reactions: NashtoNowitzki

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Replacing Nurse will not be that hard...2nd pair LD are probably among the easier assets to find in this league. It's just that we don't have a real pro scouting department that knows how to evaluate talent.

Don’t they have new scouts?

In any case, the challenge will be moving a guy overpaid by 3-4M with an NMC, not the replacement

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I feel like talking about trading Nurse is bad juju because the only way it happens is some monkey paw curling type of move.

Like they swap him for PLD after McDavid demands a trade to LA and wants his best buddy to go with him. Some kind of nightmare fuel like that haha.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I feel like talking about trading Nurse is bad juju because the only way it happens is some monkey paw curling type of move.

Like they swap him for PLD after McDavid demands a trade to LA and wants his best buddy to go with him. Some kind of nightmare fuel like that haha.
You're never going to get something good out of a Nurse trade, but unless he has a dramatic turnaround we can't keep going forward with this player.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Not sure if this is accurate (guessing it is), but it looks like it's "buyout proof"

Darnell Nurse Buyout Results - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
2026-2030 is ugly AF. Good thing there’s lots of GMs who will take him in a trade. Might have to retain $2-3 mill but Darnell just isn’t worth $9.25 a season with his boneheaded play. I know everyone hates +/- but I’m going to use it anyways.

The Oilers as a team were +57 in goal differential, which is 5th best in the league. Darnell was +3. Even Ceci was +12 somehow. You’d think he’d be around +15 or so but that kind of shows he’s on the ice for a lot more ES/SH goals against.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
2026-2030 is ugly AF. Good thing there’s lots of GMs who will take him in a trade. Might have to retain $2-3 mill but Darnell just isn’t worth $9.25 a season with his boneheaded play. I know everyone hates +/- but I’m going to use it anyways.

The Oilers as a team were +57 in goal differential, which is 5th best in the league. Darnell was +3. Even Ceci was +12 somehow. You’d think he’d be around +15 or so but that kind of shows he’s on the ice for a lot more ES/SH goals against.

Yeah, I think he's tradeable, with retention for sure. The cap going up makes his hideous contract slightly less ugly and there are always GMs that will be enticed by his size and speed. Some might think a trade "wake up call" will have his attention (I doubt it, but hope they believe so)

Really, the biggest problem is his NMC, and best buddies with McDavid. I don't see him waiving

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yeah, I think he's tradeable, with retention for sure. The cap going up makes his hideous contract slightly less ugly and there are always GMs that will be enticed by his size and speed. Some might think a trade "wake up call" will have his attention (I doubt it, but hope they believe so)

Really, the biggest problem is his NMC, and best buddies with McDavid. I don't see him waiving
I think if it was a rebuilding team, he’d likely say no. Unless maybe San Jose or Anaheim since it’s California. Utah, Columbus, Buffalo…places like that he’d say no to but he would be a fit for a team like Minnesota but I don’t think they’ll have the cap.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Nurse + X for Marner + X. Lose - Lose trade.
Not really. I’d just let Marner walk if he doesn’t take a pay cut and you’re not stuck with Nurse for years and years.

At this point I’d rather have a solid top 6 and move up Kulak with Vinny if we have to. Nurse and Ceci are a disaster and management needed to fix this at least 1 year ago.

They need to make a drastic and calculated change to salvage this team. Have to correct course before Drai is ufa or it’s over.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
One thing is certain to me, if we lose this series to Vancouver, there must be big changes to the blue line. Nurse and Ceci have got to absolutely go. That is way too much cap utterly wasted on a D pairing that literally will give games away to the opposition.

We also need a really good replacement for Holland. A GM that knows the modern game. We probably have one more year after this to secure a cup championship with McDrai. Otherwise, it's curtains on the McDrai era.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
One thing is certain to me, if we lose this series to Vancouver, there must be big changes to the blue line. Nurse and Ceci have got to absolutely go. That is way too much cap utterly wasted on a D pairing that literally will give games away to the opposition.

We also need a really good replacement for Holland. A GM that knows the modern game. We probably have one more year after this to secure a cup championship with McDrai. Otherwise, it's curtains on the McDrai era.
There’s definitely a chance that after these playoffs the McDrai era is over

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Still a win for Edmonton because we could just walk away from Marner. Cant walk away from the Nurse contract.
I think Marner playing on a team with guys that have a win at all cost mentality would motivate him to be better when games matter. The Leafs core players only seem to care about money and personal accomplishments.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

It will be impossible to move Nurse for the obvious reasons plus his NMC but if you get him the right partner he's actually a good Dman. It would cost a lot of money but I would seriously consider trying to find a way to sign Montour, if that's not possible then go after Walker.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I think Marner playing on a team with guys that have a win at all cost mentality would motivate him to be better when games matter. The Leafs core players only seem to care about money and personal accomplishments.
The trouble with getting Marner is that you'd just be bloating the offense and making the defense worse if Nurse goes the other way in a package.

Mind you, we could flip him to a team like Nashville for Carrier + some other assets or something and use the save extra cap for another defensive improvement. This is all theoretical spitballing of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad