Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oilers (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Those picks will be valuable when we're trying to load up at the deadline, but have our dicks in our hands because we were too afraid of an immaterial cap penalty.

I disagree it’s an Immaterial cap hit. We can’t afford a nickel of dead cap if we want to re-sign the stars and have money for said trades. We wouldn’t be trading all our picks to SJ. We can trade future picks at the deadline AND have the cap to fit them in by dumping Campbell.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
So we will have less than 10M to sign Desharnais, Broberg, Holloway and 5 other forwards.

I dont think we can retain Henrique or Foegele but Perry, Carrick ,Janmark, Brown and maybe Gagner for ~1M per would fill the roster.

This is assuming we go with Campbell\Skinner duo. A bit more flex room if we can get rid of Campbell contract or buy him out.
Perry is next to useless as is, I don't see is wanting to remain 🤣

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I disagree it’s an Immaterial cap hit. We can’t afford a nickel of dead cap if we want to re-sign the stars and have money for said trades. We wouldn’t be trading all our picks to SJ. We can trade future picks at the deadline AND have the cap to fit them in by dumping Campbell.

$5M of dead cap (or $3.75, however you want to slice it) for three years is much, much more punitive than $1.1M for one year, $1.5M for 4 years, and $2.2 for 2 years. Just because a player isn't technically bought out doesn't mean the cap space isn't dead.

Here are the three options:

1 - we roll the dice and try to have him play as backup next year (bad idea)

2 - we send him to the AHL, necessitating acquiring an NHL backup. Campbell's hit is $3.75 and a replacement goalie of any quality is probably going to be around $2M. So we've cost ourselves more cap.

3 - burn a lot of assets to trade him (I think you're underestimating what that would cost)

4 - just buy him out, replace him AND save cap $ in 24/25, 25/26 and 26/27. By the time the dreaded year 3-6 of the "dead cap" comes around, it is very possible, maybe even likely that it will cost us in the range of $1-2% of the total cap. That is the definition of immaterial.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don’t know what he’ll be. What I do know is you have 97 and 29 as well as 2 that will need contracts- can’t have any dead cap space.
They can't afford to have Campbell's $5m on the books the next three seasons, the real win now window. He will be moved this offseason whether it be attaching assets to move him or more likely buyout. It's dead cap but it's also saving $3.9m, 2.7m and 2.4m the next 3 seasons respectively. The $1.5m dead cap the 3 seasons thereafter will take up a lesser and lesser percentage of the cap as the cap rises.

Either option sucks but I'd rather rip off the bandaid and buy out Campbell than attach serious assets (1st+++) to move the full contract, assets that they'll need for team improvement in an otherwise barren pipeline devoid of high quality assets.
Trading it retained isn't that attractive either because you're still likely paying an asset to trade his contract at 50% and getting no cap savings compared to the buyout.
The one option that is not an option is Campbell being an Oiler next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
$5M of dead cap (or $3.75, however you want to slice it) for three years is much, much more punitive than $1.1M for one year, $1.5M for 4 years, and $2.2 for 2 years. Just because a player isn't technically bought out doesn't mean the cap space isn't dead.

Here are the three options:

1 - we roll the dice and try to have him play as backup next year (bad idea)

2 - we send him to the AHL, necessitating acquiring an NHL backup. Campbell's hit is $3.75 and a replacement goalie of any quality is probably going to be around $2M. So we've cost ourselves more cap.

3 - burn a lot of assets to trade him (I think you're underestimating what that would cost)

4 - just buy him out, replace him AND save cap $ in 24/25, 25/26 and 26/27. By the time the dreaded year 3-6 of the "dead cap" comes around, it is very possible, maybe even likely that it will cost us in the range of $1-2% of the total cap. That is the definition of immaterial.

The problem is in years 1-3 we need the cap space. Plus it’s years 4-6 not 3-6 of “dead cap”.
The assets are probably 3 draft picks in the first round and second spread out over a number of years. Leaves us with plenty to still use at deadline and have the cap to fit them in.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The problem is in years 1-3 we need the cap space. Plus it’s years 4-6 not 3-6 of “dead cap”.
The assets are probably 3 draft picks in the first round and second spread out over a number of years. Leaves us with plenty to still use at deadline and have the cap to fit them in.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think blowing three first rounders only to effectively save 1-2% of the cap once that space becomes "dead" is completely insane to me, but to each their own.

This is especially true when we look at recent history on our own team. I don't think you'll find too many people arguing that we would we have been better served to gas three first rounders to get rid of Neal to save the $1.9M cap penalty, which would have resulted in no Ekholm and no Henrique.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Haha Woodcroft on Sportsnet saying he hasn't watched the Oilers since he was fired.
It’ll never happen cause that’s not how the NHL works but for how much we are still paying him he should do video coach for us. As he’s definitely still a great video coach.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Haha Woodcroft on Sportsnet saying he hasn't watched the Oilers since he was fired.
Sure he hasn't. Guy had an ego the size of the Pacific ocean and he wants us to believe he didn't watch.

When they beat the flames he claimed he couldn't explain "the secret sauce" he implied.

Didn't call it a loss called it a "non win" because he wanted to have the media gush over his "psychology" etc.

Good riddence.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
How much do we think this Desharnais extension will be? 2.25M x 6 years? I'm scared after seeing what Mayfield and Holl got.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Wyatt Johnston again. f*** Tyler Wright.
I'm so happy Jeff Jackson is at least holding people accountable.

Sounds like Holland is gone end of the year. Rightly so he hired Wright who sucks. We've drafted no one useful outside round 1. Too many awful contracts as well. Problems not adequately addressed.

That leaves some unfinished business.
I remember when Bob Green insisted on Griffin Reinhart from his oil kings days. We gave up basically 2 first round picks. Maybe our worst trade draft day deal in history.

Green had to be next he's still as scout here. He's done f*** all. Fire all the ameteur scouts end of the year.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Poor Jay wants to see trends around the league but can’t bear to watch his old team turn things right around? Guy has an ego the size of the High Level Bridge. Another Babcock disciple, the first thing they learned from that prick is that it’s all about me. Good riddance twit. Hope you figure out how to coach a zone defence while watching the rest of the league but not the Oilers.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Poor Jay wants to see trends around the league but can’t bear to watch his old team turn things right around? Guy has an ego the size of the High Level Bridge. Another Babcock disciple, the first thing they learned from that prick is that it’s all about me. Good riddance twit. Hope you figure out how to coach a zone defence while watching the rest of the league but not the Oilers.

His next job interview:

GM: How did you learn from the changes Knoblach made to your system in Edmonton?

Jay: What changes?

GM: What?

Jay: What?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3