Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oilers (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Ekholm (16:58) and Bouchard (16:53) had essentially the same TOI at 5x5.

The Ceci/Nurse pairing had approx 18-19 mins of TOI at 5x5.

I think that this is just about the coach deploying the pairings differently than he did to close out the season. Probably had more to do with line matching than anything else.
Makes sense, it was also likely "resting" Ekholm and Bouchard while the team was comfortably up.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Hope this “Everyone must play Center” team build concocted at the TDL by Holland pays off. 2 games left in the season and we’ve already converted our 3C Henrique into a Top 6 winger…. Instead of just trading for a Top 6 Winger.

How’s everyone around here liking the Henrique/Carrick trades anyways?
I think having naturals C’s who can play W offers a ton of flexibility and is really valuable. They had a need for a top 6 wing and or a 3C and they made a smart move and got a guy who can do both. With RNH, Henrique and McLeod all able to play W or C in the top 9 it gives you so many options to move guys around, try things out and find some chemistry. If a guy like Mcleod is struggling down the middle you can move him off to the wing and have Henrique or even RNH take some shifts at 3C. The other thing I like about the Henrique acquisition is he’s a veteran pro who’s barely been in the playoffs, this may be one of his only chances at a cup and I think that’s the type of guy who can really lock in and elevate, especially in a secondary/complimentary role.

Carrick has given us an every day right shot 4C option. He plays hard, hits, fights, can win a draw and can pk.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Hope this “Everyone must play Center” team build concocted at the TDL by Holland pays off. 2 games left in the season and we’ve already converted our 3C Henrique into a Top 6 winger…. Instead of just trading for a Top 6 Winger.

How’s everyone around here liking the Henrique/Carrick trades anyways?
I want to re-sign both of them, if they don't want to be overpaid to be here. Loving Henrique. I like Carrick too but if he wanted more than 1M I am okay with him finding it elsewhere.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011

Not a lot of capspace coming into the 24-25 off-season.

Overage Penalties for 2024-25​

TeamOverage Penalty
Edmonton Oilers$3,450,000*

* Edmonton’s Corey Perry can earn an additional $50,000 each for advancing to Conference Final and Stanley Cup Final.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think having naturals C’s who can play W offers a ton of flexibility and is really valuable. They had a need for a top 6 wing and or a 3C and they made a smart move and got a guy who can do both. With RNH, Henrique and McLeod all able to play W or C in the top 9 it gives you so many options to move guys around, try things out and find some chemistry. If a guy like Mcleod is struggling down the middle you can move him off to the wing and have Henrique or even RNH take some shifts at 3C. The other thing I like about the Henrique acquisition is he’s a veteran pro who’s barely been in the playoffs, this may be one of his only chances at a cup and I think that’s the type of guy who can really lock in and elevate, especially in a secondary/complimentary role.

Carrick has given us an every day right shot 4C option. He plays hard, hits, fights, can win a draw and can pk.
I agree completely.
The only thing I was a little lukewarm about regarding Henrique was that I thought that the team needed a shooter.
I liked everything else about Henrique. I even suggested (to some ridicule) back when he was acquired that Henrique could be a temporarily solution in the top 6.
Well obviously Henrique hasnt disappointed at all and I am even going to have to walk back my comments about the team needing more of a pure shooter. The man can shoot the puck as well.
What I didnt realize was how good he is in front of the net. He has a strong sense of how to occupy defenders in a way that provides Connor and Hymen with more room to spin their magic.
Its a thing of beauty to watch. Its one thing for a player to just stand in front but its another thing altogether to maximize your presence in front of the net. Henrique does that really well.

With Carrick I thought that he was a good pickup right from the get go. I liked that he was a RH centre and that he could PK. He is also tough and can drop the gloves.
Great fit on the 4th line...something the team needed.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
I agree completely.
The only thing I was a little lukewarm about regarding Henrique was that I thought that the team needed a shooter.
I liked everything else about Henrique. I even suggested (to some ridicule) back when he was acquired that Henrique could be a temporarily solution in the top 6.
Well obviously Henrique hasnt disappointed at all and I am even going to have to walk back my comments about the team needing more of a pure shooter. The man can shoot the puck as well.
What I didnt realize was how good he is in front of the net. He has a strong sense of how to occupy defenders in a way that provides Connor and Hymen with more room to spin their magic.
Its a thing of beauty to watch. Its one thing for a player to just stand in front but its another thing altogether to maximize your presence in front of the net. Henrique does that really well.

With Carrick I thought that he was a good pickup right from the get go. I liked that he was a RH centre and that he could PK. He is also tough and can drop the gloves.
Great fit on the 4th line.
So hard to find C's that are true shooters, especially in the Oil's price range. If some how they could added Henrique and Tafolli, that would of been ideal. Still like the depth up front, just gonna need 3 or 4 guys to chip in with a couple more goals over the run (Henrique, Foegel, Mcleod, Hollway, Perry), to help up with the scoring. It is a versatile forward group, lots of guys can move up and down and go from C to W.

Reactions: guymez

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I agree completely.

Great fit on the 4th line...something the team needed.
Henrique has always been a pretty good goal scorer. I first watched him a fair bit back in Windsor. Hall was the clear star on a loaded team but Henrique was pretty impressive. He's not really a sniper but can score goals in lots of different ways which actually works quite well wit McDavid.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019

Not a lot of capspace coming into the 24-25 off-season.

Trying to win with a set of $5 million dollar handcuffs courtesy of Hollands mismanagement will not be easy, to say nothing of the addition burden of a dead Campbell contract layered on top of that.

Reactions: NashtoNowitzki

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Trying to win with a set of $5 million dollar handcuffs courtesy of Hollands mismanagement will not be easy, to say nothing of the addition burden of a dead Campbell contract layered on top of that.
Yep. Pisses me off that after Campbell's buyout we will be 6.5M in the hole next year. That's a pretty spectacular upgrade to our roster somewhere. Imagine replacing Ceci with that. Ugh.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He might see his legacy as getting out from under McDavid's shadow and winning a Cup.
His best bet of winning the cup is with a team with McDavid.
As for getting out from McShadow, he will likely be exposing himself to what he really is. It's literally the best shadow to be playing under.
McD might even convince Stamkos to play 'under his shadow' next season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Henrique has always been a pretty good goal scorer. I first watched him a fair bit back in Windsor. Hall was the clear star on a loaded team but Henrique was pretty impressive. He's not really a sniper but can score goals in lots of different ways which actually works quite well wit McDavid.
Good to know.
His skating could be considered a bit of an issue but there is no questioning his smarts and skill with the puck. Glad he is an Oiler.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
His best bet of winning the cup is with a team with McDavid.
As for getting out from McShadow, he will likely be exposing himself to what he really is. It's literally the best shadow to be playing under.
McD might even convince Stamkos to play 'under his shadow' next season.
This comment belongs on the mainboards. I think you could make a few friends over there.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Ryan Ellis was superb for the Spitfires.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This comment belongs on the mainboards. I think you could make a few friends over there.
Sure, let's stick to McDavid is hindering Draisaitl from producing narrative then. Lol at him behind McD's shadows. They are very different players and both get equal chances to produce. McD hogging Henrique and Hyman isn't the reason Draisaitl isn't producing. Maybe Drai will get more assists on a team without McDavid but I highly doubt he would have more points or a better chance at the cup on a different team

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Sure, let's stick to McDavid is hindering Draisaitl from producing narrative then. Lol at him behind McD's shadows. They are very different players and both get equal chances to produce. McD hogging Henrique and Hyman isn't the reason Draisaitl isn't producing. Maybe Drai will get more assists on a team without McDavid but I highly doubt he would have more points or a better chance at the cup on a different team
Nobody suggested that McDavid is stopping Draisaitl from producing. I think that’s a bit of bifurcation on your part. And nobody is implying that Draisaitl is not producing. I think people meant that he may want to leave somewhere else to be “the guy.” But you seem to think he’s incapable of sustaining his production without McDavid.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nobody suggested that McDavid is stopping Draisaitl from producing. I think that’s a bit of bifurcation on your part. And nobody is implying that Draisaitl is not producing. I think people meant that he may want to leave somewhere else to be “the guy.” But you seem to think he’s incapable of sustaining his production without McDavid.
A whole lot of blah blah blah for no reason other than to bait.
Sure, Drai will dominate the league once he is the guy on a new team because he is on the same tier as McDavid

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
A whole lot of blah blah blah for no reason other than to bait.
Sure, Drai will dominate the league once he is the guy on a new team because he is on the same tier as McDavid
You’re the one baiting by constantly undervaluing Draisaitl

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Well I'm not really considering burying him. I think he's going to be useful for the full 4 years. I'm just responding to your concern that because he's a bottom pairing guy, he is bound to regress at 28, 29, 30 and 31.

I don't see that as a major risk, and the downside risk is limited by his contract being low in the first place.

Also, he's going to be worth $2M in the open market, easy.
I don't necessarily think that he'll regress. If he were to maintain his current play over a 4 year deal at that term it would be a fair and good deal. I just don't like the thought of locking into any bottom pairing/line players for that long. It shouldn't be difficult to replace guys like that every couple of years, but that's just my opinion and I could be entirely wrong. Given how tight the cap will get in a hypothetical McDrai both extend scenario, every 1.5-2 million will count.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad