• Xavier Bourgault

• Reid Schaefer

• 2023 1st Round Pick

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
The 5 year age difference makes that Bo contract a lot safer.
Honestly Bo probably has 2-3 good years left. He is gonna be the next Andrew Ladd for NYI sooner than most think. Vancouver fans are ecstatic they never kept Bo especially at that price point

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Absolutely.

People like to pretend that having any players being overpaid is going to kill a team but it's just not the case. Having a couple of guys making a mil or two more than they should likely won't sink you unless you've bungled the entire remainder of your roster, and most free agent signings are viewed as overpayments. Just sort of the nature of the free market. I really like Horvat the player, Horvat the captain, and Horvat the person based on what I've seen of him given I'm a local here.

I like Bo as a player but honestly how many good years do you think he has left? If he was making 6.5 or 7, I would say fair deal, but Islanders are now paying him Crosby/Draisaitl money which is crazy

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
NBA trade involving Kyrie Irving...the Mavericks sent them future, future picks along with two roster players. A 2029 1st and 2029 second plus a 2027 second.

I'm just trying to imagine a similar trade in the NHL where a team doesn't get futures for 7 years. Or what GM would accept those picks so far down the road.

Kyrie history and antics makes this trade one of a kind.

It would only happen in the NHL if we had a legit all-star in his prime forcing his way off teams every two three years. If McDavid or Matthews did that a few times, I’m sure their fourth team would gladly accept very future picks down the road to get themselves out of the situation lol

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Prolific hitter, bottom sixer with a decent bit of skill, makes less than the league average, veteran with cup experience, can play all 3 forward positions.

Seems like the perfect rental pickup for the Oilers in their quest to find more players who can play a heavier game.
Dont get why st louis lets him go?
And if they do ....whats the price?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Blues have cap problems this summer. They extended a bunch of their young guys on huge contracts that kick in and O’Reilly and Tarasenko are both pending and they can probably only afford 1 of the 2.

Reactions: Faelko

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think with the Blues... they may be in a situation where it's blow up time (or at least re-set time if not a full blow up)... Tarasenko is going... O'Reilly is going... they aren't going to be a playoff team with the A) lack of offense and B) poor team D/goaltending they've had this year.

4th worst in shots for and 10 worst in shots against indicates that things aren't right there with the team and they need a shakeup.

Down years for key players plus injuries have pretty much done them in this year... so they may want to pull the plug on the season and get some high picks in a strong draft and do a quick re-set while they still have some good young players like Kyrou and Thomas on the team.

Would a team offer them a 1st for Barbashev? I think that's a bit high... but who knows... if they can get a 1st then they probably do that deal.

I think several contending teams would be interested in Barbashev at 50% retained for a late 1st. That's just over $1 million in cap space taken up for a decent offensive player with some bite in his game.

He'd become the 6th best forward on the Oilers... and he apparently plays all 3 forward positions (I haven't seen him enough to know if he plays all 3 well though). I assume the wing is where he plays the best.

Personally though... if the Oilers are swinging a 1st around for a forward... I much rather the target be Meier or P Kane or Tarasenko.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I like Bo as a player but honestly how many good years do you think he has left? If he was making 6.5 or 7, I would say fair deal, but Islanders are now paying him Crosby/Draisaitl money which is crazy
Crosby signed his deal in 2013. Things have changed drastically since then. Drai is years removed from signing his as well.

I agree it's an overpay, but it's in the same vein as the Nurse overpay imo. 1.5 ain't gonna sink a team and he's just hitting his prime at 27. Gonna give them at least 5 or 6 good years, I think.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Honestly Bo probably has 2-3 good years left. He is gonna be the next Andrew Ladd for NYI sooner than most think. Vancouver fans are ecstatic they never kept Bo especially at that price point
I can almost garauntee that if the Canucks had traded JT Miller a lot of fans would have been okay with Horvat getting the money instead. I think most fans saying they'd have preferred to dump both are just bullshitting. But that's just my opinion.

Will have to revisit it in a few years to see how it plays out

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Reading up on him a bit, seems he might lack some consistency and plays with some selfishness in his game.

Between player limitations and his UFA status, along with their cap situation, it could be that they see him as too expensive to keep going forward.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
A collection of random thoughts:

-I think Vince Dunn is a great cautionary tale of the dangers of trading Bouchard, when the Blues exposed him in the expansion draft they didn't think a whole lot of it, a talented player who wasn't quite a solid top 4 d-man and fast forward a year and a half later and he is arguably better than every single Blues d-man.

-I don't mind the idea of getting Lafferty, but multiple teams bidding on role players always worries me, the guy is not worth a 2nd rd pick (I think Stauffer mentioned the bidding might get as high as that).

-STL is a bad team this year, I can't imagine management is overly enthused to have so many d-men on the wrong side of 30 signed for a bunch more years. There are no rumors about one being traded, but I'm thinking one is very likely to shake loose.

-With respect to Toews while I do think he can help us, I don't think he does enough to justify his cap-hit even with 50% retained. Sometimes it's not just about whether or not the player helps, but how much they help relative to the cap implications and while yes we can technically arrange something where more than one team retains on him, it doesn't feel that likely, Holland isn't exactly known being creative with his cap management.

-Noel Acciari has been linked to us multiple times, but doesn't get much discussion the obvious things are that he does hit & PK & has a knack for scoring goals. While Acciari is an incredibly streaky scorer what I like about him is that he is good at deflecting pucks and he doesn't hesitate with his shots, on nights where its hard to score those are the kind of ones that tend to go in.

-While we have discussed trading with NSH they do look like they will close enough to a playoff spot that I don't think they'll throw in the towel. Poile's been one of those GM's as long as team is somewhat in the mix he'll let them fight it out.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Barbashev is #102 in scoring among forwards over the past 2 seasons (last season plus this season so far)... so that puts him squarely into high end 2nd liner type of production and at a cap hit of $2.25 million that's pretty reasonable. I'd say a raise is coming his way.

As a pure rental... at 50% retention a team is getting a pretty decent addition for a low cap hit.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Something I also noticed about Acciari.,..

His faceoff win% this season:

EV 54.0%
PP 57.1%
SH 56.7%

That's going to give a boner to those that value having a guy that can win key faceoffs in any situation (Although he's only taken 7 PP faceoffs... but those EV and SH numbers are solid).

Reactions: tinfish

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There's a method to the madness somewhere...you'd think Brooklyn would want to have those picks sooner than that but the NBA and the NFL always gave trades that make me ask what the hell is this?-ha.

I'm just imagining Holland offering JP, Kesselring and a pair of early round picks a half decade away for Chychrun and Gary or Bill Daly or whoever is the Coyotes GM is right now being okay with it.
That is certainly a long way out. But the NBA is different from the NHL. They aren't drafting 18 year olds most of whom will take 4-5 years to have an impact if they aren't very close to the top of their draft class. A 2027 NBA 1st is more likely to be on the roster in the 2027-2028 season and contributing than a late 2024 1st would be in the NHL.

As @Cloned say the timing also makes it more likely that these are high end picks. How would you like to have the San Jose 1st right now from a trade from 2019.

I think you can’t trade picks over 3 years in the future.
I have never seen such a rule.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Barbashev is #102 in scoring among forwards over the past 2 seasons (last season plus this season so far)... so that puts him squarely into high end 2nd liner type of production and at a cap hit of $2.25 million that's pretty reasonable. I'd say a raise is coming his way.

As a pure rental... at 50% retention a team is getting a pretty decent addition for a low cap hit.
I always like Barbashev going back to his days in Moncton. One but of caution though is that his 26 goal 60 point season looks like a significant outlier. It does however up his cost and I suspect the cost to resign him.

I certainly would not give a 1st for him unless he was re-signed at a similar amount that he is at now (very very unlikely) and they took back salary. As a rental he really should not be more than a 2nd.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I always like Barbashev going back to his days in Moncton. One but of caution though is that his 26 goal 60 point season looks like a significant outlier. It does however up his cost and I suspect the cost to resign him.

I certainly would not give a 1st for him unless he was re-signed at a similar amount that he is at now (very very unlikely) and they took back salary. As a rental he really should not be more than a 2nd.
LW not sure how he'd be good fit. If he played RW I'd be interested

Feb 9, 2013
If Yamamoto gets dealt away, I can't help to feel delighted.
I'm all for both (Yam and Pulj) being traded … Yam - love his heart but he is too small, and "Tin Man" Pulj - if only he had a brain (to go along with his physical gifts). What a player we could make, Yam's head on Pulj's body. Unfortunately, we don't have Dr. Frankenstein as our GM.

Edit: I stumbled onto a new nickname for Puljujarvi - "Tin Man." ;)

_____

IF ONLY PULJUJARVI HAD A BRAIN
(from the original Tin Man song)

He would not be just a nothin'
His head all full of stuffin'
And his heart all full of pain (because he doubts he belongs in the NHL)

If only he had a brain.

He would score and be merry
His life would be a ding-a-derry
If only he had a brain

Gosh, it would be awful [Incomprehensible]
To reason out the reason
For things he can't explain (like why he's less than useful)

Then perhaps he would deserve our ...
And be even worthy of our ...
If only he had a brain

Good luck wherever you land Bison King!

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Prolific hitter, bottom sixer with a decent bit of skill, makes less than the league average, veteran with cup experience, can play all 3 forward positions.

Seems like the perfect rental pickup for the Oilers in their quest to find more players who can play a heavier game.
would they take the Bison king or Yams for him?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I agree. He was riding better minutes and playing in the top 6--he has bounced between top 6 and bottom 6 this season and that is one reason his stats have not been that steady this season

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I agree. He was riding better minutes and playing in the top 6--he has bounced between top 6 and bottom 6 this season and that is one reason his stats have not been that steady this season
When Buchnevich returns he will be bottom 6 again.
St. Louis maybe open to a large deal right now. They are one step away from burning it down.
Not sure Holland has the mental gymnasium to take advantage of this--likely unable to step away from his long term plan. This may be a good thing...im not sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad