• 7 Forwards - 3 Defensemen - 1 Goaler

• 8 Skaters - 1 Goaler

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Russell is harder to trade because of his NTC.
yes, that's why I say "somewhere". There are even good teams who will be slashing salary and will find Russell's high cap but low salary as desirable

But sure, maybe not. We may have to keep him.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
yes, that's why I say "somewhere". There are even good teams who will be slashing salary and will find Russell's high cap but low salary as desirable

But sure, maybe not. We may have to keep him.

He wants to stay in Western Canada. That basically means Vancouver, Winnipeg or Calgary.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He wants to stay in Western Canada. That basically means Vancouver, Winnipeg or Calgary.
His list has to have 15 teams on it though.

Plus, I think Winnipeg would take him. Maybe when the dust settles in Calgary, they could be a desintation. The Lucic trade worked out for them. They liked Russell when he was there.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
When a player submits a 15 team no trade list, is that done at the beginning of when the contract is signed?

Like if Russell doesn't want to get traded now, would he be able to change his list to include all the teams we could realistically trade him to?

Or was the list of teams created when he signed his contract and is set in stone?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
His list has to have 15 teams on it though.

Plus, I think Winnipeg would take him. Maybe when the dust settles in Calgary, they could be a desintation. The Lucic trade worked out for them. They liked Russell when he was there.
The other thing is that Russell is simply better (when he's playing on the left side) than Larsson.

oilsplatzz

Apr 14, 2018
With talk of Pool Party maybe rejoining the Oilers would it not be a smart move to trade Nugent Hopkins for Laine, A friend for Pool party and potential linemate for McD. Money is almost the same as well. Seems to me both teams would benefit from what each of the players would bring,and at almost same money as well.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Plus he can simply list all the teams that actually have cap room to accommodate him on his no-trade list and that gives him a full NTC in effect.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
When a player submits a 15 team no trade list, is that done at the beginning of when the contract is signed?

Like if Russell doesn't want to get traded now, would he be able to change his list to include all the teams we could realistically trade him to?

Or was the list of teams created when he signed his contract and is set in stone?
No they make a new list every year. I don't think they are allowed to change it after that, but maybe they are.

But yes, they definitely can and will pick their list to try to discourage a trade.

I think Russell will play ball though. We just have to tell him that he won't get ice time here anymore, which is true btw

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

I think the player provides the teams he would or would not accept a trade to (depending on how the clause is worded in the contract) at the start of each season if its not an all-inclusive NTC. If I recall, the lists have to be submitted around the start of camp or around the start of the regular season. I also believe just because a team is on the list a player would go to, he still has to waive it if a team on his list was attempting to acquiring him at some point.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
No they make a new list every year. I don't think they are allowed to change it after that, but maybe they are.

But yes, they definitely can and will pick their list to try to discourage a trade.

I think Russell will play ball though. We just have to tell him that he won't get ice time here anymore, which is true btw
I think the player provides the teams he would or would not accept a trade to (depending on how the clause is worded in the contract) at the start of each season if its not an all-inclusive NTC. If I recall, the lists have to be submitted around the start of camp or around the start of the regular season. I also believe just because a team is on the list a player would go to, he still has to waive it if a team on his list was attempting to acquiring him at some point.
Interesting. Thank you!

I think we'll be able to move on from Russell but I wonder how many teams not on his list will be willing to take him.

Reactions: McFuhryous

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd also dump Kassian after, then Russell is gone the year after.

I also would trade AA.
I understand that this is a really optimistic hypothetical, but...

McDavid 12.5
Drai 8.5
OEL 8.5
RNH 7
Neal 5.75
Hall 5
Klef 4
Goalie 4
Yamo 4
Bear 3

That's $62.25m for ten players after year two. Oilers make a push that year? People get raises. But at this point you've got $19.25m to build the other half of your roster.

Even dumping all of our bad contracts, taking no salary back and getting stars for bargain basement prices, the money still doesn't work.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
If anyone was interested Lawton was on d saie moving out2 of our top 4 dman ,obvioously not named Bear. That would mean 2 of Larrson nurse and Klefbom

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Plus he can simply list all the teams that actually have cap room to accommodate him on his no-trade list and that gives him a full NTC in effect.

I personally think the best approach would be the Oil talking to him and saying “look, we don’t see a fit here anymore, we will look to trade you one way or another..... OR you could retire after your 2.5 million bonus is paid out and we’ll hire you to a scouting gig that only requires you to scout teams in the WHL/AJHL/SJHL that doesn’t take you more than 500km away from the ranch.”

Does 1.5 mil mean much to Russell anymore? Especially when you’ve made 30 mil already and it might mean taking a Weber slapper off the toes just to squeeze out another 1.5 mil (and it might be playing in the US, 2000km away from the ranch if we deal him).

I think there’s a classy way for both sides to come out on top.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I understand that this is a really optimistic hypothetical, but...

McDavid 12.5
Drai 8.5
OEL 8.5
RNH 7
Neal 5.75
Hall 5
Klef 4
Goalie 4
Yamo 4
Bear 3

That's $62.25m for ten players after year two. Oilers make a push that year? People get raises. But at this point you've got $19.25m to build the other half of your roster.

Even dumping all of our bad contracts, taking no salary back and getting stars for bargain basement prices, the money still doesn't work.

Can't really predict what will happen because we don't know what will happen with the cap and the revenues. Worth noting also that Neal would only have 1 year left at that point.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Can't really predict what will happen because we don't know what will happen with the cap and the revenues. Worth noting also that Neal would only have 1 year left at that point.
True, but you're not really leaving the team with much wiggle room to address any future cap inflation, nor are you providing them with much depth beyond their scoring lines moving forward.

I mean odds are we'd be paying more than $4m for goaltending anyways. You'd want a pretty good quality 4th defenseman. You might want some NHL calibre PKers or some reasonably productive third liners. That left over money would get spent up pretty fast, even if the league's revenues added another few million to the cap.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
True, but you're not really leaving the team with much wiggle room to address any future cap inflation, nor are you providing them with much depth beyond their scoring lines moving forward.

I mean odds are we'd be paying more than $4m for goaltending anyways. You'd want a pretty good quality 4th defenseman. You might want some NHL calibre PKers or some reasonably productive third liners. That left over money would get spent up pretty fast, even if the league's revenues added another few million to the cap.

Team's going to be top heavy either way IMO. We have to decide which players to spend that cap on.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I personally think the best approach would be the Oil talking to him and saying “look, we don’t see a fit here anymore, we will look to trade you one way or another..... OR you could retire after your 2.5 million bonus is paid out and we’ll hire you to a scouting gig that only requires you to scout teams in the WHL/AJHL/SJHL that doesn’t take you more than 500km away from the ranch.”

Does 1.5 mil mean much to Russell anymore? Especially when you’ve made 30 mil already and it might mean taking a Weber slapper off the toes just to squeeze out another 1.5 mil (and it might be playing in the US, 2000km away from the ranch if we deal him).

I think there’s a classy way for both sides to come out on top.

I think he's better than Larsson anyway, and Larsson will be easier to trade without the NTC.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Team's going to be top heavy either way IMO. We have to decide which players to spend that cap on.
So you're saying we should go top-heavier because it's inevitable?

I'm not really worried about our scoring lines moving forward. I just think it's important for us to be able to keep the guys coming in every year if and when they succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad