Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | ChaoticOrange: "The man you're looking for is Joel Persson"

Is Joel Perrson the man you're looking for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Just watching the legend of Ryan strome grow into a fringe hall of famer
He had his flaws here for sure, but he was working hard at reinventing himself into a 3rd line centre and by all accounts was a really good teammate. He also had some success in New York to end the year.

Spooner did exactly f*** all here.

No one is turning Strome into a HOFer, but most people recognize that that trade was completely unnecessary and didn't make any sense.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Pretty cool you know these guys personally

It's been commonly reported. It's also well known that the Stromes and Mcdavids are close family friends. Mcdavid bunked with Caggiula on road trips and JP was quoted talking about how he likes playing with Strome and the bond they've developed. But hey, you go girl!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If it came across sarcastic, that wasn't my intent, I was curious how the numbers differed.

The 2 things I left thinking, that Gagner can contribute at the NHL level and Spooner is no longer an NHL player.

No worries. I didnt take it that way (sarcastically) at all.
I like Gagner...upgrade on Spooner for sure.

I think ultimately though (given a choice) I would rather have Strome just because he is a natural center and the team has a glut of bottom 6 wingers that are a lot cheaper than Gagner.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Your seriously still asking this? All D men on the Edmonton Oilers saw time with Mcdavid.
He had the beat GF/GA numbers of the top 4 D. So Russell some special boost that Klefbom isn’t? It’s not advantage when everybody gets it.

It appears you still don't understand the argument: you seem to think I was saying Russell was advantaged in some way that other D men weren't when in fact I was making a simple factual observation that his numbers were being driven by McDavid in the same way that others are. If anything, Russell seems to benefit more from playing with McDavid than others since his numbers fall into the toilet when he's not with 97.

Plus I already pointed out his numbers this year are right on par with his 791 game career which includes hundreds of games without Mcdavid.

So what? Again: is there anything in Kris Russell's body of work to suggest he drives that number? Even his most ardent defender would admit he does nothing to tilt the ice the other way, so your contention has to be he's just so damn good at defending that the other team simply can't get a sniff when he's out there which, let's be real, doesn't pass them smell test.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
No worries. I didnt take it that way (sarcastically) at all.
I like Gagner...upgrade on Spooner for sure.

I think ultimately though (given a choice) I would rather have Strome just because he is a natural center and the team has a glut of bottom 6 wingers that are a lot cheaper than Gagner.
Agreed with Strome, I wonder if you didn't weight him down with Lucic for a long period of time would it work better (obviously), but we really won't know.

As far as Gagner's cap hit, I still think you could possibly flip him back to the Jackets.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think there is kinda a lull in the market in terms of trades and signings due to the RFA's that are still yet to sign. With the way the contacts are going most of them are going to be pretty high contracts.
I strongly suspect that there will be more action between now and when the puck drops than in a typical year. Too many teams are experiencing cap issues that are going to have to be resolved.

Vegas: They have effectively $1m in cap space with Gusev and possibly one more to sign.
Pittsburgh: Has only $800K with a 22 man roster.
Washington: $900K on a 21 man roster
Dallas: Once they activate Johns they will be $1.3M over the cap.
Chicago $3.3M with 2-3 more players to sign
Toronto: Marner could put them $2-3M over
SJS: Thornton probably takes them close to the cap on a 22 man roster
Van: If Boeser gets $6M they will be within $700K of the cap on a 23 man roster
TB: Callahan saved them this year but they will be hard pressed next year,
Rangers: They could be $6-7M over once they sign their RFA's and pair back to 23.
Calgary: Signing their RFA's could put them way over the cap.

Of course none of this means the Oilers will get anything more to help them out but it does mean GM's may be more active than in the past going forward

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Agreed with Strome, I wonder if you didn't weight him down with Lucic for a long period of time would it work better (obviously), but we really won't know.

As far as Gagner's cap hit, I still think you could possibly flip him back to the Jackets.

Gagner to the Jackets...just curious...what makes you think thats a possibility?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Gagner to the Jackets...just curious...what makes you think thats a possibility?
Tons of Cap space, he had a lot of success there not so long ago and he would come (probably with a little asset) for not much cost., they also might be able to make use of his offense given all that's left.

I could see a Gagner and 4th for Sedlak (signed in the KHL)

Edit: Maybe you could even make it creative and move Gagner for Nash (basically), as Nash was real bad for them last year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Tons of Cap space, he had a lot of success there not so long ago and he would come (probably with a little asset) for not much cost., they also might be able to make use of his offense given all that's left.

I could see a Gagner and 4th for Sedlak (signed in the KHL)

Edit: Maybe you could even make it creative and move Gagner for Nash (basically), as Nash was real bad for them last year.

Interesting.
In terms of Nash I find it really odd that his. ice time was cut by almost 5 minutes last season. Thats a lot. Could be that Columbus has more forward depth than Boston but thats a huge drop.
Something appears to be going on there.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
So, do you think the Sekera buyout will end up being useful or was it done to sign fringe NHLers?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So, do you think the Sekera buyout will end up being useful or was it done to sign fringe NHLers?
It has given the team some flexibility. I wish it was Russell, but Russell has been healthier and his buyout has a $3.4M cap hit next season.

I hope it gives them the opportunity to make changes, so far it's underwhelming.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Interesting.
In terms of Nash I find it really odd that his. ice time was cut by almost 5 minutes last season. Thats a lot. Could be that Columbus has more forward depth than Boston but thats a huge drop.
Something appears to be going on there.
Could be part of it, but the drop was pretty dramatic, 12 pts in 2 more games :laugh:

Nash might not have been a fit, which we've all seen can happen.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Unless we make a major move, it looks like it was simply for cap flexibility and to sign all the bottom 6ers on the market.

I mean.. even if he couldn’t get rid of Russell and they wanted to dress 2 rookies on D, having

Klef Larsson
Nurse rookie
Russell rookie
Sekera

Gives you way more flexibility in terms of lineup options and injury coverage than unused cap space would.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
The J.T. Compher contract makes an Andrew Copp OS at similar terms very reasonable

It's unlikely that this will happen but it would be pretty encouraging if Holland actually did something that was pro active

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
You have to think the Oilers would prefer a right handed 3C. Nash fits the bill, but the extra year at 2.75 isn't ideal. He could be a decent stopgap until Marody or McLeod are ready. We could retain 750k on Gagner and they could retain 500k on Nash so the extra year is a bit easier to swallow. They don't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year either.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don’t think the argument should be Strome vs. Gagner (or even Spooner), rather the answer should have been Gagner/Spooner AND Strome. Especially went the team had extra cap space due to Sekera on LTIR.

This team needed extra depth, not to swap 1 player in and out. Plus I don’t think it would have been that difficult to get the Rangers or Canucks to retain 50% if the Oil weren’t sending salary back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad