Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
"Well it's the same old story,
Ken's not making a lick of sense to me.
No, no, no. Tell 'em.
How it's always on the Oiler fans to
pay for everything we never see.
Well Ken can call it what he likes
but where he comes from, we call it the squeeze.

All this talk about some changes,
it's just Holland promising the moon.
So it's do without or it's dollar in, dollar out
This fool is over the hill
gonna need trades soon, yeah.
Yeah you can call it what you like,
but where Ken come's from, he can't put on the squeeze.
Squeeze, squeeze, squeeze, yeah.
"Can't put the squeeze on" says Kenny
He's only squeezin' me and squeezin' you.

Bob said "don't drink the water,
Must be something in it which affects ability"
Ooh yeah, and who knows what balls are in the air,
Ken better take a chance now, he's got Drai & McD.
Ken can call it what he likes,
but he can't put on the squeeze.
Won't put the squeeze on anybody.
Up and down like a toilet seat
Ken ain't gonna put the squeeze on ya, ooh."

Original artist and song: 38 Special "The Squeeze"
-------------------------------------------------------------

Johnston saying Karlsson will waive for the Oilers but Grier won't retain more than 20% so roadblock.

The Oilers sent scouts to watch the Habs & Devils.

Serevalli thinks the Oilers are in a position to land Kane.

The Oilers have a scout taking in the Canook and Preds game. Jeannot & Ekholm would be ideal.

Continue with hbthe rumor discussion here...10 days to the deadline from today!!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So now it’s San Jose refuses to retain more than 20% so there goes that deal. Edmundson for a 1st here we go….

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
@Macblender

I agree we don’t know what they’re thinking but this isn’t a team that’s a few tweaks from competing again, they’ve got basically nothing for young, impactful roster players and they’ve got next to nothing in terms of promising prospects in their system. Shedding salary where they can (especially longer term salary) and going full rebuild is their best option. Freeing up salary also give them the opportunity to take on shorter salary in exchange for picks/prospects to speed things up.

To your second point I don’t think 50% retention is realistic but then retaining 4M for 4 years should be. In your scenario of the first non elc year of a Bedard, in my mind at least, I’d rather be paying 4M retention then 11.5M for 37 year old Karlsson.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The prices this year are looking good and it's slated to become even more of a buyer's market. So many sellers and the supply of late 1sts is running out.

And the West has never been more wide open. The Oilers have to go for it this year. I would support adding at every position.

The rumored deal for Karlsson was a good one for Edmonton and they should go for it if they can get $3m retention.

My primary team is the Blue Jackets and let me tell you that if you can get Korpisalo for a 3rd rounder, that is a steal. He looks like one of the best in the league, stealing games lately. Fantastic form, clearly a different player since his surgery. I'd have significantly more confidence in him winning series for the Oilers than I would in Skinner or Campbell.

For a forward it seems like you can get a guy like Tyler Bertuzzi or Ivan Barbashev for a 2nd rounder. Those are deals. I'll throw out Nyquist as a potential steal if he comes back healthy, and he could be had for a conditional 3rd/4th.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Bob Stauffer calling out the front office during the intermission. Holy Moly.

Given their close friendship you have to take that as Katz calling out the front office. Our dear absentee owner-in-chief must be finally starting to wonder what his $5M+ is actually getting him based on the wording there.

The Oilers have a scout taking in the Canook and Preds game. Jeannot & Ekholm would be ideal.

It would be classic Holland/Oilers for them to have sent Messier's teenage nephew to scout Luke Schenn only for their big trade target to be sent home just before the game. :laugh:

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Should I read from Stauffer that Katz is demanding Holland to go get Karlsson in particular?

I suppose he could just be antsy for moves in general, but the deadline is more than a week away and the only news today was the Oilers backing off in Karlsson talks. So I'm inclined to think this is about that.

Reactions: jlockhart89

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Paraphrasing: "Get off your f***ing ass and do something. You're the highest paid GM in the league. Act like it."

I don't think there is any precedent in pro sports for it, but how delicious would it be to see Holland's enormous ego shattered by Katz giving Keith Gretzky the sole authority to negotiate/complete trades from now until the deadline after finally reaching his breaking point with all of Ken's constant dithering and excuse-making?

Should I read from Stauffer that Katz is demanding Holland to go get Karlsson in particular?

I suppose he could just be antsy for moves in general, but the deadline is more than a week away and the only news today was the Oilers backing off in Karlsson talks. So I'm inclined to think this is about that.

It's a very pointed message, but guaranteed not only ownership but the players are losing patience. They want the best chance to win too. Holland is truly the dumbest GM in hockey if he can't read the f***ing room here.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
In terms of forwards, I wonder what it would take to pry Henrique out of Anaheim. Perfect middle 6 centre, big body, playoff experience, the kind of vet this team needs.
A 1st, a prospect and Foegele for him a full retention is what it would likely take to get him at zero cap impact.

Last edited:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Katz doesn't have that much patience with GMs not getting things done. Tambo(5 years), Mact(2 years), Chia(4 years) all got yanked pretty quickly by NHL GM standards when Katz didn't like what they were doing.

Holland is going to have to do something to give the franchise a much better chance of competing for the cup at the deadline or he probably won't be the one in charge by the time the draft rolls around.

Reactions: Biltmore

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't know if I've ever seen a situation quite like this as an Oiler fan, where it seems like the entire league is expecting us to make a big move, and it seems to be inevitable based on the cap structure. I suppose when Pronger got moved out we knew it was coming, but the Oilers haven't really made a big add at the deadline in a long time.

I'll be a bit bummed if Barrie gets moved out, he's looking damn good out there right now, feel like he's having a bit of a resurgence.

Reactions: YakDavid

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I don't know if I've ever seen a situation quite like this as an Oiler fan, where it seems like the entire league is expecting us to make a big move, and it seems to be inevitable based on the cap structure. I suppose when Pronger got moved out we knew it was coming, but the Oilers haven't really made a big add at the deadline in a long time.

I'll be a bit bummed if Barrie gets moved out, he's looking damn good out there right now, feel like he's having a bit of a resurgence.
I was sorta thinking this too. Haven’t seen the fan base like this in a while where everyone collectively wants that big move and expects it will happen soon.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

erik-karlsson-san-jose-sharks.gif

I know a guy who wouldn't pull off that shit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad