Rumour, Trade, FA 2020-2021 COVID edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They are the only team in the league not to cut any staff expenses. So I'd imagine they aren't to bad off. I mean did they lose revenue? Absolutely everyone did. But are they hurting? No, not by any means.

I don't know how you define hurting. Losing that much of your revenue is hurting - really badly. So far, they have avoided cutting staff expenses. With just a few exceptions, those are small change. They are not on the brink of bankruptcy, yet. But they are hurting badly.

We've barely begun to see the financial fallout from Covid. There are some big upheavals coming. Governments can't bailout and support everyone forever.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
2018 was a pretty damn deep team up front.

Connor - Scheif - Wheeler
Ehlers - Stastny - Laine
Copp - Lowry - Tanev
Perreault - Little - Roslovic

With Armia and Hendricks getting in a bit but not as much as those 12 players.

Was our mainstay 4 lines. With one of the deepest defensive cores in the league at the time. I would hardly say that bottom 6 is weak. It's better than any bottom 6 we have ever iced. Little was basically getting 4C minutes in those playoffs.

And we still had a checking 3rd line and a 5 minute 4th line. I didn't say our bottom 6 was weak. I don't think it needed to be weak last year. I don't think it needs to be weak next year. But we will have that checking 3rd line and a 5 minute 4th line.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seems like a return that isn't all that great. I'd much rather we go after a 2C and a RD then a winger. Yeah without Laine we open a hole there but that hole is easier to fix. They won't provide as many goals but I'd prefer having a 2C over a winger replacement.

That is still a different conversation. But getting a 1RD plus a replacement top 6 RW is in the range of what I consider acceptable return for Laine. It plugs 1 hole without having opened another. It isn't my first choice but it is just an example that leaves us without an upgrade at 2C.

There is a very good chance that we go into next season with Laine still here. Or any number of trades that don't include a 2C. In those cases, I look at Copp, Roslovic and Harkins there. When they all come up short, I go to Wheeler at 2C and there he stays until we get a real 2C from somewhere.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Max Domi has had basically 1 really good year ( 72 points 2 years ago ) . The rest ... meh. He's a 50 point player at best.

In 2017-18 Domi had 45 points. In the same season, Laine had 44 goals. Let that sink in....

If the Jets could get Domi and have him playing with Laine, then sure. But to trade Laine for Domi... :thumbd:

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
What are your opinions of Toews and Wahlstrom?

IF and WHEN Patrik Laine is traded don't be angry at Chevy. He is only making the best out of a situation he has not created IMHO. Chevy can't force Patrik to resign and he can't force ownership to replace Maurice.

All he Chevy can do is to maximize the return in order to help the Jets compete again.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I think the Isles are going to be in on Laine. I think they can afford to lose Pulock and Wahlstrom and I guessing a 2021 1st would be in there. Is that enough?

Pulock interests me. I'm not familiar with Wahlstrom to comment.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
What are your opinions of Toews and Wahlstrom?

IF and WHEN Patrik Laine is traded don't be angry at Chevy. He is only making the best out of a situation he has not created IMHO. Chevy can't force Patrik to resign and he can't force ownership to replace Maurice.

All he Chevy can do is to maximize the return in order to help the Jets compete again.

I think they would want a RD but I like Toews he is less "valuable" over all and they would need to add something else IMO

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Absolutely agree on the need for the islanders to add, just do not have enough info apart from old scouting reports on Wahlström.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I think the Isles are going to be in on Laine. I think they can afford to lose Pulock and Wahlstrom and I guessing a 2021 1st would be in there. Is that enough?
Wonder if Ho-Sang would be worth trying to get as well.
Might be a good RW if he can get his head out of his ass, and likely wouldn’t cost much to have included, if anything

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I like Pulock. The pick could be quite low in 2021. I don't like that much.

Wahlstrom seems like a risky prospect, though. I'd put him more in a "B" category. He has bust potential, I think.

Overall, I think that package is not rich enough.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wonder if Ho-Sang would be worth trying to get as well.
Might be a good RW if he can get his head out of his ass, and likely wouldn’t cost much to have included, if anything
Ho-Sang isn't even an asset. You can pick him up for free. And I don't think he'd help the Jets.

Reactions: Fire Chevy

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't know how you define hurting. Losing that much of your revenue is hurting - really badly. So far, they have avoided cutting staff expenses. With just a few exceptions, those are small change. They are not on the brink of bankruptcy, yet. But they are hurting badly.

We've barely begun to see the financial fallout from Covid. There are some big upheavals coming. Governments can't bailout and support everyone forever.

If the Leafs ever get to the point where they are so bad that there is a massive financial fallout suffering. The majority of the league is likely done. They are kind of like the barometer. If they fail, we likely failed well before them. We have rich as hell owners but they will only bail out this team for so long before they will just cut their loses and move on.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
And we still had a checking 3rd line and a 5 minute 4th line. I didn't say our bottom 6 was weak. I don't think it needed to be weak last year. I don't think it needs to be weak next year. But we will have that checking 3rd line and a 5 minute 4th line.

Little's line average 13 5v5 minutes in the playoffs. Lowry's line was averaging a little under 12 5v5 minutes. So we really rolled them pretty evenly. That is pretty far from 5 minutes. And that 3rd checking line was more like a 4th shutdown line.

Reactions: KingBogo

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
If the Leafs ever get to the point where they are so bad that there is a massive financial fallout suffering. The majority of the league is likely done. They are kind of like the barometer. If they fail, we likely failed well before them. We have rich as hell owners but they will only bail out this team for so long before they will just cut their loses and move on.

One of the things my buddy told me is that all the teams are going to be using there NHL teams as write offs for other parts of there business. It isn't as doom and gloom yet. But I think the season after this one it will start to get dicey for them

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
They are the only team in the league not to cut any staff expenses. So I'd imagine they aren't to bad off. I mean did they lose revenue? Absolutely everyone did. But are they hurting? No, not by any means.
That is not true. Seravalli already reported the Jet had a 20 per cent reduction for all staff effective sept 1.

There is also no revenue from concerts and events, and 2 brand new buildings sitting empty and construction on the new site across the street. Commercial space is not a space I would want to be in with companies realizing they dont need buildings to house employees when they can work from home and provide the same service.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Laine+Heinola for Werenski+Foudy+Bjorkstrand

yay, nay?

top 6 Fwd, and def

Ehlers-Scheifele-Bjorkstrand
Connor-Foudy-Wheeler

Wersnki-Demelo
Morrissey-Pionk
Samberg-Poolman

Reactions: Easternbull

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
One of the things my buddy told me is that all the teams are going to be using there NHL teams as write offs for other parts of there business. It isn't as doom and gloom yet. But I think the season after this one it will start to get dicey for them

Yeah I think we are more than fine and I'm also thinking that next season will have fans in at least some places. Dallas is already doing a dry run.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That is not true. Seravalli already reported the Jet had a 20 per cent reduction for all staff effective sept 1.

There is also no revenue from concerts and events, and 2 brand new buildings sitting empty and construction on the new site across the street. Commercial space is not a space I would want to be in with companies realizing they dont need buildings to house employees when they can work from home and provide the same service.

I'm talking about the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad