Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I said this before. We'll probably do this trade with Seattle. But first, we'll pretend this happened today.

Trade Appleton + Tanev + 1st (something in the likes of those things) and have Little waive to Seattle. But this is only if Seattle picks Little.

I imagine Appleton still being here, but Tanev might be Suess or something at that similar value.

We would lose:
Little
Appleton
Tanev
1st

That really is a small cost believe it or not, but in Seattle's eyes and every other team that's a big price to pay. It's a small price for us because not only do we shed salary, we give those players better opportunities in Seattle and we can keep whoever we want.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Goal scoring is only part of the equation though. Stamkos was putting up mid 90 points per season and Ovechkin was putting up 110ish at the time he signed. 1/3rd of the way through the season and Laine is on pace to put up 50 goals but also only 9 assists. If his current pace keeps up for the entire year we're talking 75 points, not 95 to 110 with those comps. The lack of assists shows that he's not driving the play 5 on 5 like other elite players would. Maybe I'll be terribly disappointed, but Wheeler signed for all UFA years coming off a 91 point season for $8.25. I expect Laine to get $8.5 - $9 instead of $10+. He's also a winger where Matthews, Eichel, McDavid are all centers.
Yes but Wheeler gets assists goals are worth more. Rather a guy who gets 80 goals than 80 assists.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I said this before. We'll probably do this trade with Seattle. But first, we'll pretend this happened today.

Trade Appleton + Tanev + 1st (something in the likes of those things) and have Little waive to Seattle. But this is only if Seattle picks Little.

I imagine Appleton still being here, but Tanev might be Suess or something at that similar value.

We would lose:
Little
Appleton
Tanev
1st

That really is a small cost believe it or not, but in Seattle's eyes and every other team that's a big price to pay. It's a small price for us because not only do we shed salary, we give those players better opportunities in Seattle and we can keep whoever we want.
That 1st turned out to be a heavy cost last time. Instead of having Armia and Ves we could have had a really killer D.

Reactions: jgimp

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg

We would lose:
Little
Appleton
Tanev
1st

This is a horrendous take... why the f*** are we giving Seattle 3 players and our 1st in an expansion draft? This is even worse than your suggestion that Tanev is a 1st line player.

Reactions: Huffer

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

We would lose:
Little
Appleton
Tanev
1st

Whoa!

We only need to lose 1 player. Not 3 + a 1st. That is horrible value. Teams do that and Seattle wins the cup outright.

This is 2.5 years away. We don't even know who will be on our roster. Protect the best, expose the rest and take our punishment.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

We would lose:
Little
Appleton
Tanev
1st

what in the f***

Reactions: Bigfish and Duke749

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Yes but Wheeler gets assists goals are worth more. Rather a guy who gets 80 goals than 80 assists.

Goals are worth more. Simply pointing out that Assists have value too and Laine doesn't get many assists where the comps used in Stamkos and Ovechkin did. If he adds 30-40 assists on top of 50 goals then yes, but being short 20-30 assists is significant.

If an agent came at me with those comps I'd come back with Tarasenko at 10.27% of cap ($8.5 on an $83 cap) for the same number of UFA years, Kucherov at 11.95% ($9.9 on a $83 cap and only 1 RFA year) and Draisaitl at 11.33% ($9.4 on an $83 cap and was supposed to be a center. Also viewed as a giant overpay). Anyone who was a center I wouldn't consider. (McDavid, Eichel, Matthews) I'd also be willing to wait on Rantanen and Marner to set the market if he wouldn't come down to my numbers. These other players impacted the game more than he does even though he can put the puck in the net.

I feel like somewhere around 10.5% to 11% of cap is fair coming off an ELC based on Tarasenko and Draisaitl. That's $8.7 - $9.1 on an $83 cap and assuming his production continues. I don't see a double digit AAV for him, but I do for Matthews.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

We would lose:
Little
Appleton
Tanev
1st

I think there’s a misunderstanding here... :laugh:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think there’s a misunderstanding here... :laugh:

Not at all... hate away. But we're going to get screwed over no matter what happens here.
Pretending it's 2020-21 (Minus the Trouba speculation)

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Roslovic-Laine
Vesalainen-Little-Appleton
Suess-Lowry-Copp

Morrissey-Trouba*
Niku-Byfuglien
Samberg-Poolman

Hellebuyck
Berdin

Ask yourself who you'd get rid of from this list. Salary Cap problems are on the horizon for us, some players have NTC/NMC, some players are bound to be top six forwards on other teams who could get more ice-time and not with the Jets. Some people might have different opinions than I do, but I say drop Little. But to make sure Seattle takes Little, we'd have to do something similar to what Columbus/Minnesota did, heck even us when we got Vegas to take Thorburn. Seattle might not want to take him, so we might have to give up players we could easily replace. Appleton would be their William Karlsson/Jonathan Marchessault. We might have more than enough prospects by then, so we might not even have to worry.

I could be wrong and it would be easy to get Seattle to take Little for as little (no pun intended) as a 3rd round pick. But I say Little because then, Jack Roslovic would probably take over his spot by then.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I wouldn't trade anything to Seattle. Just be prepared to lose one asset.

Our trade last time basically avoided losing anything at the cost of trading down 11 picks and a 3rd.

We won't be able to make that kind of deal because we will have too many good players unprotected next time around. I hate that the NHL puts a moratorium on player movement aside from with the expansion team leading up to the draft. Total bullshit. Let teams make deals to optimize their rosters. You have the rules for what teams need to have exposed anyway.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I wouldn't trade anything to Seattle. Just be prepared to lose one asset.

Our trade last time basically avoided losing anything at the cost of trading down 11 picks and a 3rd.

We won't be able to make that kind of deal because we will have too many good players unprotected next time around. I hate that the NHL puts a moratorium on player movement aside from with the expansion team leading up to the draft. Total bull****. Let teams make deals to optimize their rosters. You have the rules for what teams need to have exposed anyway.
Yep would rather have given up a player and got one of those great D at draft.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
McPhee benefited so much from the mistakes of other GM's (including Chevy) that karma demands he must do something weapons grade stupid when the shoe is on the other foot. That's my hope, I'm sticking to it. :nod:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
McPhee benefited so much from the mistakes of other GM's (including Chevy) that karma demands he must do something weapons grade stupid when the shoe is on the other foot. That's my hope, I'm sticking to it. :nod:
Vegas is exempt though

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
He'll forget he's exempt and give them a pick and a prospect just because :p
ab8.jpg

Reactions: SLAYER

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
They’re not getting any of the Seattle entry fee so that seems like a fair trade off
No it isn't. It doesn't make a difference to the fan who gets what money. Nor does it affect the competitiveness of the league. Vegas still gets an advantage.

Reactions: Laine Fan

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think it's almost a consensus that we have to dump Kulikov's salary for next year.

Should we try to do it this year to strengthen our potential playoff roster?

If we could target a UFA like Alexander Edler, who has playoff and Stanley Cup experience, for a player like Kulikov, with an extra year on his contract, to insulate Juolevi's development, with a caveat like Petan, who is in Josh Leivo limbo, and would get a long of playing time, especially PP time, from his former coach. Maybe throw in a 6th Rd pick as well. Lemieux's 13th forward position can be replaced by Dano, so that he can play regularly on the Moose.
Petan just got passed by another player, Appleton. Soon it is going to be Veselainen and Suess. So he's a sacrificial asset for a capable 20 minute per night, hard hitting defenseman, the defenseman we hoped to get in Kulikov, and management takes care of an offseason problem in season. Bolsters defensive depth.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think it's almost a consensus that we have to dump Kulikov's salary for next year.

Should we try to do it this year to strengthen our potential playoff roster?

If we could target a UFA like Alexander Edler, who has playoff and Stanley Cup experience, for a player like Kulikov, with an extra year on his contract, to insulate Juolevi's development, with a caveat like Petan, who is in Josh Leivo limbo, and would get a long of playing time, especially PP time, from his former coach. Maybe throw in a 6th Rd pick as well. Lemieux's 13th forward position can be replaced by Dano, so that he can play regularly on the Moose.
Petan just got passed by another player, Appleton. Soon it is going to be Veselainen and Suess. So he's a sacrificial asset for a capable 20 minute per night, hard hitting defenseman, the defenseman we hoped to get in Kulikov, and management takes care of an offseason problem in season. Bolsters defensive depth.
For some reason I don't think Kuli, Petan and a 6th gets it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad