Rumor: Rumour and Proposal Thread: Now the fun begins

Which starter would you want next season?

• Mike Smith

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Darcy Kuemper

Votes: 24 10.4%
  • Ville Husso

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Jack Campbell

Votes: 43 18.6%
  • John Gibson

Votes: 87 37.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
His qualifying offer was $7.5M, he likely could of pushed for free agency if he wanted to, I'm not sure if VAN made the right decision, but I understand it would of been hard to part with someone who showed so much promise so early.
He wasn’t going to get qualified for that. The nucks didn’t want to lose his for nothing. I’d be surprised if he got close to 6.3M in free agency. He would have found a deal and it would have been an even bigger loss for the Nucks.

Reactions: McDoused

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
These aren't bluechip assets anymore. They're players now entering year 6 and year 7 of their respective professional careers. The potential of either player being described is heavily based on fantasy.

Both are very close to the point where they become overpriced depth players or they're allowed to walk as UFAs.

I understand the want to see RNH as the 3C, but it has frequently been shown that it just highlights the lack of wing depth possessed on the NHL roster. RNH requires an offensive driver like Hyman to really make his line any kind of consistent scoring threat. And the prospect of Edmonton shipping out guys like Kassian and Foegele for cheaper depth only lessens the likelihood RNH would ever find any of that support.

The likeliest place you'll find value in an individual player is in the top six. Because that's the easiest place on the Oilers for any single player to thrive statistically.
Exactly. Without bigger fast line mates, Nuge can’t really operate. JP and a good fast retrieval LW have a really good chance of becoming more than the sum of the parts.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
After watching Colorado and Tampa Bay it should be obvious we need a major overhaul for the Oilers to get to the next level and become a contender. All prospects and picks should be on the table. We will have to burn through some assets to find cap relief like the contending teams are not shy to do. A good GM would be able to shake things up and improve the team focusing on areas of need. I don't trust Holland.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
After watching Colorado and Tampa Bay it should be obvious we need a major overhaul for the Oilers to get to the next level and become a contender. All prospects and picks should be on the table. We will have to burn through some assets to find cap relief like the contending teams are not shy to do. A good GM would be able to shake things up and improve the team focusing on areas of need. I don't trust Holland.
It’s a good thing picks are on the table then.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
It’s a good thing picks are on the table then.

Are they? We've never seen a 1st dealt in the Holland era, and only twice has he given up a pick to acquire a player with term (the infamous Neal/Lucic trade and Keith for Jones/3rd). I fully expect him to select a player with our '22 pick, which would not at all be advisable given the current trajectory of this team.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

We don't need a major overhaul. Just a starting goalie, tweak the bottom six and bottom 4 of the defence. Our top 6 is one of the best in the league. Holland should use this as a template;

xxx-Mcdavid-Yamamoto
Hyman-Draisaitl-xxx
xxx-RNH-xxx
xxx-Mcleod-xxx

These are the locks for the opening night roster, still available if they don't get traded are JP, Foegele, Kassian, Ryan. There's a chance that all these players won't be back and the forward holes will be filled by trade and UFA signings. There's also the chance that Holloway and XB make the team.

Nurse-Bouchard
xxx-Ceci
Keith-xxx

Keith isn't going anywhere so it's best he plays on the third pairing. Barrie will get traded. There's a chance that one of Broberg, Niemo or Samorukov make the opening night roster.

xxx
Skinner

Quick breakdown:

Needs: Starting goalie, 2 top six wingers, 4 bottom six wingers, 2nd pairing LD, 3rd pairing RD

Out of these 9 spots I think 5 of them get filled internally with 4 new players being added this offseason.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Major overall? I’ve been over negative too but what about what you watched made you think we need a major overhaul? Forward wise we need to replace Kane and improve our 4th line and one 3rd liner spot.

Defence wise, we really mostly need to just add speed/defensive ability which could be had by moving on from Barrie and keeping/replacing Kulak to play above Keith.

Our biggest issue was on the back end and that can be massively different with 2 new players and progression from guys like Bouchard and dare I even say Broberg.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Contending teams do this after they've developed their competitive roster. They 'burn assets' on rentals and depth adds, not adding integral parts.

The Oilers don't require an 'overhaul', but the same gameplan as last season with Kane on board probably isn't going to work without him. So desperately trying to replace that goal production is a fools errand.

That unlikely add allowed us to hide the weaknesses that ultimately resulted in Dave Tippett being fired. Through two playoff series we overcame poor bottom six depth and fairly mediocre defensive structure.

Getting to Tampa or Colorado's level moving forward will happen by improving the team's depth through to the guys in the press box. A quiet night for McDavid and Draisaitl shouldn't be an automatic loss.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We don't need a major overhaul. Just a starting goalie, tweak the bottom six and bottom 4 of the defence. Our top 6 is one of the best in the league. Holland should use this as a template;

xxx-Mcdavid-Yamamoto
Hyman-Draisaitl-xxx
xxx-RNH-xxx
xxx-Mcleod-xxx

These are the locks for the opening night roster, still available if they don't get traded are JP, Foegele, Kassian, Ryan. There's a chance that all these players won't be back and the forward holes will be filled by trade and UFA signings. There's also the chance that Holloway and XB make the team.

Nurse-Bouchard
xxx-Ceci
Keith-xxx

Keith isn't going anywhere so it's best he plays on the third pairing. Barrie will get traded. There's a chance that one of Broberg, Niemo or Samorukov make the opening night roster.

xxx
Skinner

Quick breakdown:

Needs: Starting goalie, 2 top six wingers, 4 bottom six wingers, 2nd pairing LD, 3rd pairing RD

Out of these 9 spots I think 5 of them get filled internally with 4 new players being added this offseason.
They need to moneyball a new Toews to play with Nurse honestly lol.

Don’t think we could land either but I think guys like Zub, Cernak, Siegenthaler could be those guys.

Reactions: TheNumber4

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I gather you speak for all Americans?
As much as the guy posting what I replied to, about all players But hey please name the last American born player that signed here. Also please post all the Americans that don't have the Oilers on their NTC lists

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Out:

Kassian
Barrie
Puljujarvi
Keith (Traded and bought out)
Smith (LTIR)

In:

Kane @ 6
Campbell @ 5
Manson @ 4.5
Kulak @ 2.5
Keith @ 900k

Should all fit under the cap.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Other than Nurse and Drai was there any talk of other players injured in the playoffs?

I'm thinking maybe Foegle was hurt. He looked pretty good when we got him then lapsed then got hot again then played ok. When the playoffs started he played I think 1 game then was out for a bunch.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Are they? We've never seen a 1st dealt in the Holland era, and only twice has he given up a pick to acquire a player with term (the infamous Neal/Lucic trade and Keith for Jones/3rd). I fully expect him to select a player with our '22 pick, which would not at all be advisable given the current trajectory of this team.
Reading the tea leaves with what Stauffer has said about everything and anything on the table to be creative I think it’s likely this is the year they are on the table.

For past years, thank god he didn’t deal them. The team was not close enough yet. Do you think a couple picks dealt last year or the year before would have gotten us over the Cup hump? Holland stated himself, he’d see where the team is at before dealing picks. We got to the final 4 and retained all 1st round picks. Could be a lot worse, we could have mortgaged the future like Treliving did only to be dominated and decimated by provincial rivals in the 2nd round.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They need to moneyball a new Toews to play with Nurse honestly lol.

Don’t think we could land either but I think guys like Zub, Cernak, Siegenthaler could be those guys.
Yes this. We need to take a shot at an undervalued d-man out there. Unfortunately, the dude who’s been heading pro scouting for us is “retiring”. I hope Brad Holland has been identifying players and has something prepared. We’ll need a huge moneyball win.

Other than Nurse and Drai was there any talk of other players injured in the playoffs?

I'm thinking maybe Foegle was hurt. He looked pretty good when we got him then lapsed then got hot again then played ok. When the playoffs started he played I think 1 game then was out for a bunch.
Haven’t heard a report but there was one game I think in the LA series where looked to take a serious bump. I don’t hope that he was injured but i kind of hope his performance was the result of injury if that makes any sense.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yes this. We need to take a shot at an undervalued d-man out there. Unfortunately, the dude who’s been heading pro scouting for us is “retiring”. I hope Brad Holland has been identifying players and has something prepared. We’ll need a huge moneyball win.
Like Ty Smith? :laugh:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Reading the tea leaves with what Stauffer has said about everything and anything on the table to be creative I think it’s likely this is the year they are on the table.

For past years, thank god he didn’t deal them. The team was not close enough yet. Do you think a couple picks dealt last year or the year before would have gotten us over the Cup hump? Holland stated himself, he’d see where the team is at before dealing picks. We got to the final 4 and retained all 1st round picks. Could be a lot worse, we could have mortgaged the future like Treliving did only to be dominated and decimated by provincial rivals in the 2nd round.
This was an all in year for Calgary.

On one hand Calgary has no choice but to overpay Gaudreau and Tkahuck. Without them they will take huge steps back.

One othe other hand they have 31M tied up in Lucic, Monahan, Toffoli, Coleman, Lindholm and Backlund.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This was an all in year for Calgary.

On one hand Calgary has no choice but to overpay Gaudreau and Tkahuck. Without them they will take huge steps back.

One othe other hand they have 31M tied up in Lucic, Monahan, Toffoli, Coleman, Lindholm and Backlund.
I love that they went all in. Especially that Jarnkrok pick up :laugh:. All those assets spent to bolster their offense at the deadline only to get smoked by the Oilers.

Then if Johnny walks they are going straight into a rebuild without any picks to do a proper rebuild. It’ll be glorious.

Touché :laugh:. But no not him for aforementioned reasons atleast with that’ll be my opinion.

Reactions: oilers'72

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Kane still being here is a great sign. I mean I seriously doubt he flew in for the Brick tournament. At the very least him and his family enjoy the city enough not to immediately fly out of town once the season is over. It's nice to see guys stay in town as a fan.
The one thing with Kane, sure he’s tasted American big cities and the lifestyles that can come with that. But he’s also tasted Winnipeg….

Add that to all the off ice troubles he’s gotten himself into… maybe he wants to just slow it down and focus on his career.

Reactions: oilers'72

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think if the NJD agree with their arm chair Gms we should trade Puljujarvi for Smith and McLeod. Bring in McLeod's brother, camaraderie is an important part of keeping the boys happy. I think that is the problem with Puljujarvi. He came in and couldn't speak english so he couldn't fit in. He probably still on the outside a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad