Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
The problem with giving up multiple high-quality prospects for Petro or VT is that we're not one player away from being a cup contending team.

If they were the missing piece, i'd be all for it.

That's exactly why you do it. We're not one player away, were about 4-5 players away

VOIDs to fill ...
  • 1G
  • 2C
  • 1/2 D
  • 1RW (Eberle future TBD)
So why not work towards building a complete team? If the prospects in our pool were complete game changers, they'd be in the NHL already - as good as they are, they a few tiers below Barkov/MacKinnon/McDavid/Boeser/Point. To part with a few question marks to get an exclamation point makes too much sense.

It will accelerate the rebuild. Petro is signed 1 more year, Tarasenko is under team control for 4.5 more seasons - how a 225 lb bonafide 1st line sniper with blazing speed in his prime is not appealing to some boggles me. Do we need two players in Bellows and Wahlstrom with a similar skill set?

Bode Wilde is tearing it up - he could be considered a light bluechip but he's years away from being in the NHL.

The Islanders have been mediocre for so long because they never added the talent to get us over the hill from being a glorified bubble team to an actual contender.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
That's exactly why you do it. We're not one player away, were about 4-5 players away

VOIDs to fill ...
  • 1G
  • 2C
  • 1/2 D
  • 1RW (Eberle future TBD)
So why not work towards building a complete team? If the prospects in our pool were complete game changers, they'd be in the NHL already - as good as they are, they a few tiers below Barkov/MacKinnon/McDavid/Boeser/Point. To part with a few question marks to get an exclamation point makes too much sense.

It will accelerate the rebuild. Petro is signed 1 more year, Tarasenko is under team control for 4.5 more seasons - how a 225 lb bonafide 1st line sniper with blazing speed in his prime is not appealing to some boggles me. Do we need two players in Bellows and Wahlstrom with a similar skill set?

Bode Wilde is tearing it up - he could be considered a light bluechip but he's years away from being in the NHL.

The Islanders have been mediocre for so long because they never added the talent to get us over the hill from being a glorified bubble team to an actual contender.

Tarasenko is a top winger who has 4 years left in contract and this is someone we dont want?? Lol

Reactions: xECK29x

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
We certainly have the cap space to entice St. Louis by adding a cap dump with Tarasenko to facilitate a deal. Someone like Steen, Bozak, Bouwmeester - JayBo would be best as he's a UFA at the end of the year.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Feels like it would cost a ton for Tarasenko, more than i’m seeing offered here. He’s an elite RW, prob top 5? Guy who, like Panarin, can anchor a line and as a bonus VT is locked in for five years. STL would want both our 2018 first rounders and wouldn’t stop there.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Feels like it would cost a ton for Tarasenko, more than i’m seeing offered here. He’s an elite RW, prob top 5? Guy who, like Panarin, can anchor a line and as a bonus VT is locked in for five years. STL would want both our 2018 first rounders and wouldn’t stop there.

Would love to get Panarin. But there is s good chance that doesn’t happen. Tarasenko will be expensive but he’s here for 4 yrs. it would suck to put our eggs in the Panarin basket and get no one.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
Why pay premium assets for VT, when you can sign a similar player in Panarin?

When have we ever signed a premiere free agent? Ladd was the closet thing and we severely overpaid and most here knew it would quickly be a painful signing. We are not the destination for high end free agents. Hopefully that will change, but I highly doubt it will as soon as this off-season.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Sure they messed it up, but, let's say JT was traded last winter for 2 1st rounders and a 2nd...isles still looking at a long rebuild which will not even keep up with Seattle's birth or even the next expansion after Seattle. I've been watching so long I've literally bseen like ten expansion teams come into the league and have cup type seasons since the isles were any good which was 1993. Sorry beating the Panthers would be like another team bragging they beat the isles in the llayoffp

I visited an alternate reality last February.

In this reality, the Isles put Tavares on the market before the trade deadline.

In this reality, Winnipeg won the bidding war.

In this reality, Winnipeg then won the Cup.

In this reality, we made 3 1st round picks and 3 2nd picks this past summer.

In this reality, we began this season with Jack Roslovic up the middle and Joel Armia on the wing.

In this reality, we also began this season with Brendan Lemieux and Tucker Poolman in Bridgeport.

But alas, that was simply an alternate reality. Ours is surely much better...

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
If we can acquire someone like Tarasenko it's a no-brainer really. Bar Barzal anyone on the roster can go in that exchange and how often do one get to trade for a player with that term?

It will cost a fortune, but it's probably worth it in the long run. It will make players such as Panarin, Sorokin or Bobrovsky far more inclined to come here.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
When have we ever signed a premiere free agent? Ladd was the closet thing and we severely overpaid and most here knew it would quickly be a painful signing. We are not the destination for high end free agents. Hopefully that will change, but I highly doubt it will as soon as this off-season.

That free agent class was horrible - this one is actually good but still, everyone will be making offers to the big 3

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

The reputation of this organization is changing; Lou/Trotz/ownership are attractive representatives.

If the team finishes w a mediocre record, and not bottom 5, good UFAs are going to want to be a part of an organization that is well run, on the upswing.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The problem with giving up multiple high-quality prospects for Petro or VT is that we're not one player away from being a cup contending team.

If they were the missing piece, i'd be all for it.

You're so on target, it hurts.

But whatever Lou has planned, you'd have to think that the tires will be kicked with respect to Tarasenko, especially if we're to become a team of interest for other high profile Russians.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Would love to get Panarin. But there is s good chance that doesn’t happen. Tarasenko will be expensive but he’s here for 4 yrs. it would suck to put our eggs in the Panarin basket and get no one.
Those bluechippers that will cost Tarasenko, will still have terrific value next summer.
If Panarin chooses to sign elsewhere, I am not particularly concerned that Lou with a ton of cap space + several high end prospects will be left out in the cold,unable to add top 6 skill.

Would suck imo to give up bluechippers for Tarasenko if Panarin really has the isles on a NY/Chicago/LA wishlist.

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
Those bluechippers that will cost Tarasenko, will still have terrific value next summer.
If Panarin chooses to sign elsewhere, I am not particularly concerned that Lou with a ton of cap space + several high end prospects will be left out in the cold,unable to add top 6 skill.

Would suck imo to give up bluechippers for Tarasenko if Panarin really has the isles on a NY/Chicago/LA wishlist.

So what if they trade for Tank, and THEN sign Panarin in free agency? We will also sign a #1 goalie and probably get a defensman as well. That’s what Lou does.

My expectations are low, but this seems like it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

That gives you TWO legit threats on the wing. It almost instantly makes your centers better as wel playing with dynamic, fast, skilled shooters.

It’s a pipe dream yes, I understand.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
So what if they trade for Tank, and THEN sign Panarin in free agency? We will also sign a #1 goalie and probably get a defensman as well. That’s what Lou does.

My expectations are low, but this seems like it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

That gives you TWO legit threats on the wing. It almost instantly makes your centers better as wel playing with dynamic, fast, skilled shooters.

It’s a pipe dream yes, I understand.

I am not saying your scenario wouldn't bring needed top 6 skill.

I just do not like the lack of term on Petro's deal and Tarasenko going to take a huge haul. No interest,none,in moving Dobson and imo he would likely be a key piece to a Tarasenko deal.
And for those in favor of giving up 3-4 top assets for Tarasenko...skip over the nonsense that I am prospect hoarding. Dobson is a nonstarter for me, like Barzal in juniors was a nonstarter. I think the kid will be a stud in the nhl.

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
I am not saying your scenario wouldn't bring needed top 6 skill.

I just do not like the lack of term on Petro's deal and Tarasenko going to take a huge haul. No interest,none,in moving Dobson and imo he would likely be a key piece to a Tarasenko deal.
And for those in favor of giving up 3-4 top assets for Tarasenko...skip over the nonsense that I am prospect hoarding. Dobson is a nonstarter for me, like Barzal in juniors was a nonstarter. I think the kid will be a stud in the nhl.

I hear you here.

We have a few interesting pieces that may very well pan out the way Barzal is and that’s always a risk.

That said, it’s not every day that a player like Tank is available. He’s a game changer.

I’m also fully aware that this offseasons free agent class is larger than it’s been in a while. It’ll make for an interesting July for sure. Same goes for the trade deadline.

I don’t think the Isles will be in the rental market, but you never know what happens if they decide to dabble.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I hear you here.

We have a few interesting pieces that may very well pan out the way Barzal is and that’s always a risk.

That said, it’s not every day that a player like Tank is available. He’s a game changer.
e.

Panarin's also a game changer and unlike Tarasenko, Panarin is scheduled to become a ufa in 7 and I/2 months.

Yeah, he could sign elsewhere, but if my choices are
A) Give up 3-4 top youngsters for Tarasenko or B) Give up cash alone for Panarin....I will make my pitch for B.

Elevine13

Feb 7, 2018
I’m all for going after panarin, but my question would be why would he want to sign with the isles? There is no guarantee where he will sign and believe me, I’m tired of missing elite FA signings. If the price is right for VT you pull the trigger.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I’m all for going after panarin, but my question would be why would he want to sign with the isles? There is no guarantee where he will sign and believe me, I’m tired of missing elite FA signings. If the price is right for VT you pull the trigger.

Not sure if it was Columbus beat writer Portzline ( sp) or another source, who said Panarin wants to play in LA/NY/Chicago and the isles are among the teams he would sign with.

Plenty of speculation that he wants to be near a large Russian population and wants his model girlfriend to be near a major media market.

As for the price being right for VT... why would anyone expect him to be moved for less then a huge haul?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I wonder if ROR is the player the Blues dangle?

He is having a great season and the Blues on paper seem to have everything in place.

The team lacks speed - the team is very slow and I wonder if they reimagine the lineup and restructure .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad