Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I don't have a problem with Brian Boyle and likes what he brings at a low cost, but where would you put him? We'll have Ladd back at some point (Art said he's started skating) and we already have two veteran Centers for the bottom 6.

The problem with TDL for this team is that we already have what can be acquired cheaply and I can't imagine LL spending some of our highly prized assets for rentals.

This team has depth. What it would need to make a meaningful run is to upgrade the talent level of our depth. And that's too expensive.

Another thing that Art seemed to intimate is that Eberle isn't going anywhere. His return is simply not worth giving him up for the last two months of the season. If it means getting back a second or third (which realistically is all he'll get), just keep him and let the team play out the season and see what happens.

I'm perfectly fine with that approach. I'd rather not let an asset walk for nothing but Eberle is a meaningful part of this team, as its currently constructed, and its materially worse without him there. He's a flawed player that I don't want to commit long term dollars to, but he's also a skilled player that we don't have a replacement for, at least at the moment.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't have a problem with Brian Boyle and likes what he brings at a low cost, but where would you put him? We'll have Ladd back at some point (Art said he's started skating) and we already have two veteran Centers for the bottom 6.

The problem with TDL for this team is that we already have what can be acquired cheaply and I can't imagine LL spending some of our highly prized assets for rentals.

This team has depth. What it would need to make a meaningful run is to upgrade the talent level of our depth. And that's too expensive.

Boyle would not be an everyday player when this roster is full healthy. He would be insurance in case any of the centers went down. For example, if Filppula’s out with an injury, I would think they would slide Cizikas up and Boyle would become the 4C. That’s likely a better option than Stephen Gionta or Tanner Fritz.

Reactions: crasherino

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Boyle would not be an everyday player when this roster is full healthy. He would be insurance in case any of the centers went down. For example, if Filppula’s out with an injury, I would think they would slide Cizikas up and Boyle would become the 4C. That’s likely a better option than Stephen Gionta or Tanner Fritz.
Fair enough. For a 5th round pick or so, I'll take that insurance if he's cool with that role.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Signing Gardiner for free and then trading Leddy would be interesting...to say the least. Their stats are essentially the same the last 5 seasons.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

I agree. I think it is pretty difficult to assess, at this point, precisely what upgrades are needed. Having this team compete in the playoffs would be invaluable to expose that. Make the playoffs and use it as a learning experience to re-tool in the off-season.

Though I can see Lou shopping for some veteran defensive depth. Of course injuries can change everything...

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I agree. I think it is pretty difficult to assess, at this point, precisely what upgrades are needed. Having this team compete in the playoffs would be invaluable to expose that. Make the playoffs and use it as a learning experience to re-tool in the off-season.

Though I can see Lou shopping for some veteran defensive depth. Of course injuries can change everything...
Teams shopping for veteran defensive depth would be interested in.....Thomas Hickey.

I honestly can't see the rationale for this team doing much of anything at the deadline....other than a Brian Boyle-esque move. I would not trade Brock even if he's unsigned and wouldn't trade Eberle. I'm guessing that that Lee will be signed by then.

Reactions: duster19

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Signing Gardiner for free and then trading Leddy would be interesting...to say the least. Their stats are essentially the same the last 5 seasons.
I'm fine with that. Also would like to trade Pelech and futures for Jake Muzzin, then trade Leddy for futures or needs.

Reactions: WangMustGo

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I'm fine with that. Also would like to trade Pelech and futures for Jake Muzzin, then trade Leddy for futures or needs.

Not sure why we would be tampering with the defense though, we have the least amount of goals allowed in the league, we have 6 good guys, Aho and Dobson waiting and Hickey and Sbisa as depth, we really need a power play forward, not sure if guys like Hoffman or Palmieri would become available

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Not sure why we would be tampering with the defense though, we have the least amount of goals allowed in the league, we have 6 good guys, Aho and Dobson waiting and Hickey and Sbisa as depth, we really need a power play forward, not sure if guys like Hoffman or Palmieri would become available

Leddy is anything but "good"

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I like the system Trotz put in, doesn't mean we couldn't upgrade the personal.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I like the system Trotz put in, doesn't mean we couldn't upgrade the personal.

I get what you are saying, but the biggest need on this team is a dirty area finisher on the power play, guys like Hoffman and Palmieri who score PP goals in the spot where Clutter resides now. Not sure what we could get, maybe Wayne Simmonds cheap in a UFA year where he has not played well

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
Incarcerated Bob said yesterday that Ho-Sang and his camp are considering asking for a trade before the deadline or this summer. For the people who still don’t want to believe this guy is legitimate even after breaking a ton of things, if he’s a fraud then how come Ryan Strome, Michael Grabner, Ryan Pulock, Kyle Okposo, Nick Leddy, Anders Lee, Matt Martin, P.A. Parenteau, Matt Moulson, Tyler Bozak, Darren Pang, E.J. Hradek, Kevin Weekes, Kathryn Tappen, Michael Kay, Don LaGreca and many many more people follow him on Twitter? Hmmmm.

Could it because he’s a bookie who a lot of athletes and people use? Yep.

People can choose to hate on him because he’s not a “mainstream” guy or whatever reasons they have for not believing but IB he’s one of the better NHL rumor guys around

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Unless something major falls into our lap, you finish out the year with what we have and go from there.
I'm coming down on my Eberle trade. Basis being realizing the market isn't strong (could change), ho-Sang didn't really make me feel like he could replace him outright (won't change by deadline) and I value making the playoffs. I won't get into how I think we will do once in but it's very important to get in. Important for the culture,fans and players. Also ownership who put a lot of money into revamping the front office, they deserve the income.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I get what you are saying, but the biggest need on this team is a dirty area finisher on the power play, guys like Hoffman and Palmieri who score PP goals in the spot where Clutter resides now. Not sure what we could get, maybe Wayne Simmonds cheap in a UFA year where he has not played well
All three could be available, I wonder if Lou pulls the trigger. I will say I'm already thinking of next year with Muzzin, not deadline (not that I wouldn't trade for him at the deadline)

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I'm coming down on my Eberle trade. Basis being realizing the market isn't strong (could change), ho-Sang didn't really make me feel like he could replace him outright (won't change by deadline) and I value making the playoffs. I won't get into how I think we will do once in but it's very important to get in. Important for the culture,fans and players. Also ownership who put a lot of money into revamping the front office, they deserve the income.

The difference between trading Tavares and not taking a risk on him walking about not trading Eberle and letting him walk on purpose is quite different as well. Tavares flipped the script on this organization and didn't give the two weeks notice we would give our jobs.

Think about it.

Isles went all in on the JT front, they did not even truly entertain trade offers for him. While they could have gotten a ton for him in a trade, they were still planning to resign Tavares and have him continue to be the captain here. When he decided not to sign Isles management got nothing in return for him, but more importantly they were not planning for a future without Tavares. That was the main issue.

We move on to Eberle and the situation really couldn't be more different. If Eberle would command a 1st + then I do think he would have to be traded. But when a middling or very good team is trading for him and is offering a late second or late third it simply doesn't make sense. I would rather keep Eberle and lose him in the offseason. You could trade his rights after the season is over for like a fifth anyway.

If the question comes down to would you trade a second round pick to make the playoffs my answer is yes.

Of course the Nelson and Lee situations are much different, but this is my take on the Eberle one. It looks like he is just getting comfortable.

Reactions: MartyC

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Incarcerated Bob said yesterday that Ho-Sang and his camp are considering asking for a trade before the deadline or this summer. For the people who still don’t want to believe this guy is legitimate even after breaking a ton of things, if he’s a fraud then how come Ryan Strome, Michael Grabner, Ryan Pulock, Kyle Okposo, Nick Leddy, Anders Lee, Matt Martin, P.A. Parenteau, Matt Moulson, Tyler Bozak, Darren Pang, E.J. Hradek, Kevin Weekes, Kathryn Tappen, Michael Kay, Don LaGreca and many many more people follow him on Twitter? Hmmmm.

Could it because he’s a bookie who a lot of athletes and people use? Yep.

People can choose to hate on him because he’s not a “mainstream” guy or whatever reasons they have for not believing but IB he’s one of the better NHL rumor guys around

Interesting list of people that follow him. I still have my reservations about him and how he deletes his tweets which is a MAJOR red flag to me though.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Very little chance he gets traded. Sometimes you have to lose a guy for nothing. We lost Okposo for nothing unfortunately but we couldn't rightfully give him up when we were competing for a playoff spot. It comes with the territory. Eberle is needed on this team. He's flawed but he's a skilled top 6 winger who knows how to put the puck in the net. He hasn't been too successful in the playoffs in the past but neither was TJ Oshie....until he was.

Its one thing if we would get a 1st round pick for him and there was someone waiting in the wings (ala Devon Toews was waiting) to replace him. We don't have that.

Let him go in the off season and make a hard run at Panarin. Re-signing Nelson with Panarin on his wing doesn't look too shabby right now.....

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
You guys are throwing up Periferal's bat signal. :laugh:

Shall we place bets on how long it takes him to come in here and start frothing at the mouth about moving any and all UFAs if they're not re-signed by yesterday?

Reactions: SI and Lame Lambert

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
You guys are throwing up Periferal's bat signal. :laugh:

Shall we place bets on how long it takes him to come in here and start frothing at the mouth about moving any and all UFAs if they're not re-signed by yesterday?
I hope he writes another 16 paragraph rambling post on Snow's, Capuano's and Wang's failures. We need to discuss that a bit more.

Reactions: SI

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Gardiner is a defensive liability, great offensive ability though. I'd rather pass.

Assuming we keep Leddy, Gardiner is very similar to his skillset and is going to be expensive on the UFA front. I don't think he's worth the investment to land him and he's not the greatest fit considering our roster makeup.

Maybe we can teach Gardiner and Leddy to play center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad