Rumor: Rumors & Proposals: You have a source, and you have a source, everyone has a source..

Status
Not open for further replies.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
If nothing is done within the next 14 days I suspect this board is going to have a very large aneurysm.

If we have the same type of injuries to our top players this season as last no matter what dmen we add . I can't see them finishing any higher then 28th.

Can't see how people are turning there nose up at him . Great contract proven producer and is a right shot PMD

the reason people are freaking out, is that we KNOW how this team will perform in october when it will be the same team as the past few years.... they will be terrible again, this should not be news to anybody

if all we do is sign demers, we are going to be bottom 10 in the league again without question

I think we add a Pysyk/Severson/Pesce level guy through trade and maybe another top 15 pick, and get Demers through free agency.

Klefbom-Demers
Sekera-Severson
Davidson-Fayne

It's an improvement. Not enough of one... But it's an improvement.

Then we lose Davidson or Pouliot in the expansion draft and plug and play Nurse or Tkachuk.

If we weren't plagued with injury this year we'd have finished lower so I don't buy that bottom 10 thing you claim.

Continue here.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
<Oilers Draft Tkachuk, Trade the picks for more picks then sign Demers>

Chiarelli:

Screen-Shot-2013-01-14-at-9.45.23-AM.png

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
If they just add 1 guy, how can some people say they will be the same team?

We had Kassian, Maroon, a good Davidson, etc at the start of last year? A McDavid with some seasoning and experience?

I hope he gets two reliable dmen by September for the record.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
As hard as it is to admit it, nobody trades high end defence anymore. Incredibly rare. That's why drafting with a huge emphasis on defence is probably the way of the future in the NHL. You draft the generational players regardless of position then put emphasis on D. I'd have no problem with Chiarelli drafting Sergachev or Juolevi with the 4th overall. Seems the best way to do things is to sign true veteran defence like Markov, Gonchar, etc and let those older vets teach your young players. Players like Campbell in Florida helping out their young guys. We have Sekera who had been a middling player his whole career. I wouldn't mind signing a guy like Campbell who speaks fluent English and has proven himself to be an all star player in the past. Even a Hamhuis who has been on Olympic teams and made deep playoff runs. Those kind of guys, not Sekera. Imagine we had Andrei Markov the past 4-5 years instead of Montreal. I bet Klefbom would have learned so much from him.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
<Oilers Draft Tkachuk, Trade the picks for more picks then sign Demers>

Chiarelli:

Screen-Shot-2013-01-14-at-9.45.23-AM.png
speaking of entertainment, TSN1260 is airing ****ing soccer now, is there another station to get hockey chatter from besides the Toronto/Montreal TSNs?

Preferably non biased but hell, I'll take whatever.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Severson + 11 for RNH?

I'd much rather move Eberle, but walking out of this draft with Severson, Tkachuk, Fabbro/McAvoy/Chychrun and Benson/Bastien/Laberge would be very nice...

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Lets say hypothetically we add Shattenkirk and Severson. Shattenkirk is signed to a big deal.

Klefbom-Shattenkirk
Sekera-Fayne
Davidson-Severson

Thoughts on going into the season with that D?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Davidson proved that he can play well on the right side.

Safe to pencil him in as the 2nd pairing RD.

That's about as far from a safe bet as you can get. We'd be in a position where absolutely everything would have to go right for the oilers to have any hope for anything other than a basement finish again. Klefbom and Davidson would need to be able to stay healthy, show no signs of being impacted by their injuries and show progression. Sekera would need to stay healthy again. And whichever top 4 rhd stauffer is talking about would need to be able to handle top pairing minutes without drowning.

When was the last time the oilers had that amount of luck with their roster?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Lets say hypothetically we add Shattenkirk and Severson. Shattenkirk is signed to a big deal.

Klefbom-Shattenkirk
Sekera-Fayne
Davidson-Severson

That looks fine to me. Reinhart and Nurse can develop in the AHL as they should be doing.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Severson + 11 for RNH?

I'd much rather move Eberle, but walking out of this draft with Severson, Tkachuk, Fabbro/McAvoy/Chychrun and Benson/Bastien/Laberge would be very nice...

then we better sign a 3rd line C with experience

dn't like just McDavid and Drai as our top 2 centres

based on Stauffers tweet, I see the Oilers signing Demers and that's it...Chia probably sees that teams want too much for a defenseman

Last edited:

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
If we trade for Shattenkirk, is it possible to agree in principal on an extension with him but let him remain a UFA until after the expansion draft, thus making him unable to be selected? Just a thought on a potential loop hole. Essentially a free protection.

nullmeatbag

Jun 16, 2009
4OA for Shattenkirk + Sobotka's rights + 2nd, Eberle + 2nd for Severson + 11th, and sign Eriksson to replace Eberle.

:nod:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Davidson proved that he can play well on the right side.

Safe to pencil him in as the 2nd pairing RD.

He needs to be played at 3RD or better yet, 3LD. With the injuries we always seem to get, he'll get enough time on the 2nd pairing.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
If we trade for Shattenkirk, is it possible to agree in principal on an extension with him but let him remain a UFA until after the expansion draft, thus making him unable to be selected? Just a thought on a potential loop hole. Essentially a free protection.

How dare you suggest such a thing. NHL teams and player agents hold the utmost integrity and would never do such a thing.

:sarcasm:

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Demers + 3rd pairing RHD to share time/rotate with Fayne without giving up anyone on the current roster and we will be a much better team next year.

Trading RNH or Eberle for Severson is not a good move and cripples or C or RW depth.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
As hard as it is to admit it, nobody trades high end defence anymore. Incredibly rare. That's why drafting with a huge emphasis on defence is probably the way of the future in the NHL. You draft the generational players regardless of position then put emphasis on D. I'd have no problem with Chiarelli drafting Sergachev or Juolevi with the 4th overall. Seems the best way to do things is to sign true veteran defence like Markov, Gonchar, etc and let those older vets teach your young players. Players like Campbell in Florida helping out their young guys. We have Sekera who had been a middling player his whole career. I wouldn't mind signing a guy like Campbell who speaks fluent English and has proven himself to be an all star player in the past. Even a Hamhuis who has been on Olympic teams and made deep playoff runs. Those kind of guys, not Sekera. Imagine we had Andrei Markov the past 4-5 years instead of Montreal. I bet Klefbom would have learned so much from him.

We have blue chip D that could definitely evolve into 1D, namely Klefbom and Nurse. I doubt anyone gave Lindholm much credit until he emerged. Sekera is a great veteran mentor considering that he plays hockey the right way. If Klefbom could play like Sekera, but with Klefbom's skills, size, and skating, that would be a #1 Dman no question. Same for Nurse. Adding Campbell would be great too. He's a different kind of veteran with more of an offensive focus. At his age, all we could expect from him would be a 4/5 guy with PP minutes. He's rumoured to want to play for Chicago again though. Maybe if we offer him 3 million 1 year and promise to trade him to a contender at the deadline it would work.

That is how good teams get their top defense. You have to develop your own.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
then we better sign a 3rd line C with experience

dn't like just McDavid and Drai as our top 2 centres

based on Stauffers tweet, I see the Oilers signing Demers and that's it...Chia probably sees that teams want too much for a defenseman

I honestly don't think Stauffer knows more than anyone else at this time. Matheson mentioned a cone of silence around Chiarelli right now.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Klefbom-Shattenkirk
Sekera-Fayne
Davidson-Severson

It's not a very good d group. But at least we'd have proper pairings and a solution for the ppqb. Would be a pretty bad ES group I think. Which is unfortunate because that's where the team struggled most.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Klefbom-Shattenkirk
Sekera-Fayne
Davidson-Severson

It's pretty decent, though Fayne probably is a 7th d-man at this point. Would almost rather see a guy like Oesterle up there with Sekera.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I have an overwhelming feeling Shattenkirk could become Pronger all over again. Too much smoke he wants to be on the east coast.

I can't explain it...just a bad feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad