Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Will Evander Kane Once Again be Our Biggest Addition Around the Trade Deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Very much worth keeping in mind:

Lots of guys are all over Puljujarvi for only having one goal.

He's currently shooting 2.5%.

His *career low* in a full season before this year is 7.5%. Triple his current number.

The puck WILL start going in for him. Puljujarvi shouldn't have given that interview. I get why he did it, being frustrated, lonely, and sad, but he shouldn't have done it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lehto’s a joke. But what lies did the Oilers break towards Jesse?
the Hitchcock season. He said he wanted consistent linemates he could build chemistry with, McLellan said he'd get them, and he didn't. Then - from what I understand - Chia talked him into going down to the AHL for his own well being and to work on his overall game, he said okay, but he didn't want to get yoyoed. Then Hitchcock saunters in and says he can fix him so they yanked him back up again.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He’s a fourth overall pick that’s been a scorer his whole life and the people that cover this team have had their knives in his back since he was a 19 year old kid. How quickly could you, or any of us, accept what is in a very real way a massive demotion? Especially when his teammates get chance after chance after chance and are never held accountable for it, seemingly?

If you’re told you’re a piece of shit over and over and over again by people you see every day, eventually you start to believe it too. Especially when doing all the little things and taking the body and being defensively responsible supposedly has value but all you ever hear about is “one goal” from the writers for this team, like parrots with frontal lobotomies?
So what's the plan. Quit and go home? He can do that if he wishes and have a nice life making a decent living for himself with far less pleasure. That is always an option he can choose if he wishes. But if he does then that's on him. It's not the fault of the organization or even of the hacks that write for this team. He's an NHl quality player. If he accepts his role he can have a long career in this league and perhaps one day achieve some of the more lofty goals he has set for himself.

As for the writers...I have very little time for guys who write hatchet jobs like the guys here often do. But as much as I dislike it, it comes with the territory when you cash your seven figure pay-cheque.

I will say this though you are way overstating the criticism he is getting from the organization and completely understating the opportunities he has had. He's spent most of his time in this league playing on the team's top two lines with world class players.

Reactions: RegDunlop

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Holland would give up Bourgalt, a 1st and more for a mediocre D with injury problems.

And after how badly Larsson was treated (mocked by this very forum for not wanting to be here after the loss of his father), Edmundson might do well to have us on his NTC.

You know I have to laugh at these sentiments.

People here react and post negatively, yes. But like the business itself, it's not personal.

The common denominator of most of the players that have been supposedly 'run out of town' is that they have simply not played up to their potential.

We are seldom fed the whole story. Only tidbits. We are passionate about our time and most of us understood what Larsson brought. And of course we miss it. But we can't pretend that he didn't have quite a spell of poor, soft, unegaged play.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
"They chased the money and held to a belief that Puljujarvi was a top line player."

Your words, not mine. I never said he was a top line player. You said he thought he did. All he's ever said is he wants to play in the top six. Personally I don't want a guy that CAN score goals and HAS played well in the top six to come in with the mentality that the third line is okay, because that means he's given up and that's a loser's mentality in my view. Athletes NEED a degree of cockiness to be successful, and it bugs me that similar things aren't said of Yamamoto when he's been every bit as bad as Puljujarvi and still gets every chance in the world to coast around on Draisaitl's wing game in and game out.

Do you want to know how many guys in this league make more money than Puljujarvi? 334.

That means on average, every single team in this league has more than 10 guys making more money than he does.

Some guys on here are acting like Puljujarvi reached into their own wallets, took money they needed to feed their families, and punched them in the nuts.
At the crux of the issue allegedly has been a disconnect between player's belief of his ability as a top line NHL player versus the reality of his production as an NHL player. That disconnection has allegedly included rebuffing an extended AHL development assignment and returning to Finland to play in its pro league.

He's been given largely top six minutes this year with two super elites and has produced 1 goal. Holding a $3 million salary with no production and now talking to European media to bitch and moan about his circumstances. And now his befuddled agent adds fuel to it. The agent apparently also publicly stated they have an agreement with Holland that Puljujarvi would be traded. None of this behaviour helps anyone. Who wants to trade for a whiney, non-production and expensive player with a history of airing his grievances to media along with his agent? How do the Oilers get anything ... anything Bueller? Bueller? for a damaged high pedigree player who can't produce with guys named McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent Hopkins? And who deals with his fragile issues by running to external media?

Puljujarvi did not need to take this route. His coach defended him publicly as it is now a story and his agent has followed it up with another interview with Finnish media. Sadly, they've made this into a toxic situation.

I could give two shits about Puljujarvi's salary. So don't lump me into your pet peeve.

EDIT: My comment 'they chased the money' is the agent not showing better judgement or preparing Puljujarvi as an 18 year old to make the jump to North America (culture and apex competition in the NHL). He/they needed to be honest in the kid's readiness, mentally and resiliency, beyond his raw skills.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Very much worth keeping in mind:

Lots of guys are all over Puljujarvi for only having one goal.

He's currently shooting 2.5%.

His *career low* in a full season before this year is 7.5%. Triple his current number.

The puck WILL start going in for him. Puljujarvi shouldn't have given that interview. I get why he did it, being frustrated, lonely, and sad, but he shouldn't have done it.

Where did he say he was lonely? He was feeling sorry for himself that he isn’t a top line player in the NHL. Did he say he’s lonely now too? Poor baby.

Today his agent is whining PJ should have been traded because he is a “human being”. Maybe if that dumb oaf shut his yap and had an ounce of mental fortitude he would have been traded by now.

People need to stop giving this milllionaire man a little child’s excuse.

Kostin is also a 1st rounder, by himself living in a hotel room, learned English a year after PJ was drafted, has been in the AHL learning the game the entire time, plays the minutes he’s given, busts his ass and talks to the evil Edmonton media about having character.

PJ needs to grow up.

Thanks, I’ll look it up

About 2/3 the way through.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
To clarify my statements, I’m not even a Jesse hater. I still believed in him 2 years ago, I believed in him last year, I believed he could rebound this year. I believe he’s a legit NHLer that could be a good player in any teams 3rd line. I think there’s still potential (even tho it’s dwindling) that he could play Top 6. My issue isn’t with Jesse the player, it’s with Lehto’s camp who would rather focus on stupid and downright dishonest PR campaigns that throw the organization under the bus to get Jesse where they want instead of just shutting the f*** up and just playing the game to get to where they want.
Good point. Me too.

I don't think I've ever changed my mind on a player so often. Yes he's coming. No he's shit! Back and forth. This latest version however is someone I could get behind. A third line winger who bangs, forechecks well, is actually quite adept defensively, and occasionally shows good vision.

He's been playing that role lately and to my eyes looked better than at any other time. In fact I'm actually surprised at the timing of all of this.

Reactions: TheNumber4

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So what's the plan. Quit and go home? He can do that if he wishes and have a nice life making a decent living for himself with far less pleasure. That is always an option he can choose if he wishes. But if he does then that's on him. It's not the fault of the organization or even of the hacks that write for this team. He's an NHl quality player. If he accepts his role he can have a long career in this league and perhaps one day achieve some of the more lofty goals he has set for himself.

As for the writers...I have very little time for guys who write hatchet jobs like the guys here often do. But as much as I dislike it, it comes with the territory when you cash your seven figure pay-cheque.

I will say this though you are way overstating the criticism he is getting from the organization and completely understating the opportunities he has had. He's spent most of his time in this league playing on the team's top two lines with world class players.
It's also worth keeping in mind that its a translated interview. I'm not a native Finnish speaker, and I'm guessing you aren't either, so there may be some things that just didn't translate. He's clearly frustrated with himself as much as he's frustrated with anyone else.

These are the same writers that wouldn't say boo about Zack Kassian when he was still here despite getting a seven figure cheque to do light cardio every night and not a one of them has asked a guy like Nurse or Yamamoto what's going on with their games this year. I have no issue with player accountability. I do have an issue with selective accountability.

He had 36 points and elite defensive metrics last year with the opportunities he has been given. It's pretty dishonest to pretend like he's never taken advantage of them. Yes, he absolutely hasn't done enough with them *this year* - but then I'll point to the fact he's shooting 2.5% this year when his career average is 8.6%. It's as much bad luck as it is anything else.

Where did he say he was lonely? He was feeling sorry for himself that he isn’t a top line player in the NHL. Did he say he’s lonely now too? Poor baby.

Today his agent is whining PJ should have been traded because he is a “human being”. Maybe if that dumb oaf shut his yap and had an ounce of mental fortitude he would have been traded by now.

People need to stop giving this milllionaire man a little child’s excuse.

Kostin is also a 1st rounder, by himself living in a hotel room, learned English a year after PJ was drafted, has been in the AHL learning the game the entire time, plays the minutes he’s given, busts his ass and talks to the evil Edmonton media about having character.

PJ needs to grow up.

About 2/3 the way through.
you know, some of this fanbase really deserve the likes of Jim Matheson telling Mikko Koskinen that nobody wanted him here. What a garbage thing to say.

This is why sports, and men generally, have massive mental health problems. Trash comments like these are why 75% of suicides in North America are men.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Funny how there haven't been any hit pieces on Nurse and his inability to defend. Or Drai and his growing punk attitude. Or McDavid constantly flying the zone and cheating for offense.

Nah, lets write weekly attacks on the foreign kid who can barely defend himself.
Spector has written several pieces bashing McDavid and Draisaitl.

Puljujarvi is a completely abhorrent player who keeps complaining (himself and through his agent) to Finnish media as if he's some victim of circumstance. He's been spoonfed opportunities alongside two of the greatest offensive talents the game has ever seen that he absolutely doesn't deserve. and wouldn't get in any other team. I generally hate Spector, but he's just doing his job here.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
At the crux of the issue allegedly has been a disconnect between player's belief of his ability as a top line NHL player versus the reality of his production as an NHL player. That disconnection has allegedly included rebuffing an extended AHL development assignment and returning to Finland to play in its pro league.

He's been given largely top six minutes this year with two super elites and has produced 1 goal. Holding a $3 million salary with no production and now talking to European media to bitch and moan about his circumstances. And now his befuddled agent adds fuel to it. The agent apparently also publicly stated they have an agreement with Holland that Puljujarvi would be traded. None of this behaviour helps anyone. Who wants to trade for a whiney, non-production and expensive player with a history of airing his grievances to media along with his agent? How do the Oilers get anything ... anything Bueller? Bueller? for a damaged high pedigree player who can't produce with guys named McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent Hopkins? And who deals with his fragile issues by running to external media?

Puljujarvi did not need to take this route. His coach defended him publicly as it is now a story and his agent has followed it up with another interview with Finnish media. Sadly, they've made this into a toxic situation.

I could give two shits about Puljujarvi's salary. So don't lump me into your pet peeve.

EDIT: My comment 'they chased the money' is the agent not showing better judgement or preparing Puljujarvi as an 18 year old to make the jump to North America (culture and apex competition in the NHL). He/they needed to be honest in the kid's readiness, mentally and resiliency, beyond his raw skills.
Puljujarvi has spent 101 minutes with McDavid this year, 234 away. He's spent more time with Ryan McLeod than he has with Leon Draisaitl. The bolded is not accurate.

If you could give two shits about his salary, then stop mentioning it in every post you make. Doesn't do much to convince that it's a non-issue for you.

If Ken Holland was going to get anything resembling value for Puljujarvi, he would have done so by now. Can't wait to see what bucket of rust we get for him. Almost assuredly going to Montreal for the shambling corpse of Edmundson. That'll go well.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
you know, some of this fanbase really deserve the likes of Jim Matheson telling Mikko Koskinen that nobody wanted him here. What a garbage thing to say.

This is why sports, and men generally, have massive mental health problems. Trash comments like these are why 75% of suicides in North America are men.

Give me a f***ing break.

I ask again - where did he say he was lonely? Or are you making shit up?

Reactions: McRpro

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Give me a f***ing break.

I ask again - where did he say he was lonely? Or are you making shit up?
No, I won't. You said something f***ing awful and deserve to be taken to task for it. Shame on you.

Mikko Koskinen - also treated like garbage by this board - was his closest friend on the team, and now he's gone. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that he has less people that he feels close to than he did last year. It's no accident than when *competent* teams draft players from outside of North America, they usually bring in a few guys from the same area.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's also worth keeping in mind that its a translated interview. I'm not a native Finnish speaker, and I'm guessing you aren't either, so there may be some things that just didn't translate. He's clearly frustrated with himself as much as he's frustrated with anyone else.

These are the same writers that wouldn't say boo about Zack Kassian when he was still here despite getting a seven figure cheque to do light cardio every night and not a one of them has asked a guy like Nurse or Yamamoto what's going on with their games this year. I have no issue with player accountability. I do have an issue with selective accountability.

He had 36 points and elite defensive metrics last year with the opportunities he has been given. It's pretty dishonest to pretend like he's never taken advantage of them. Yes, he absolutely hasn't done enough with them *this year* - but then I'll point to the fact he's shooting 2.5% this year when his career average is 8.6%. It's as much bad luck as it is anything else.

You're conflating a lot of issue here. Puljujarvi ultimately made these decisions which have naturally drawn public attention to his situation. His agent has now piled gasoline on as an act of further bad judgement.

At end of day Puljujarvi has $3 million in the bank for this year's work and more millions beyond that. He's had all of a billion dollar big business's resources behind him to help with language and culture shock; skill development and mental health support. Unfortunately for a lot of his own doings, the person has fallen short of the player both he and the hockey world broadly expected him to be.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
if you watch the games, his shooting % is so low cause he's not getting into high danger areas and taking high danger shots
His individual expected goals this season so far is 7th on the team (around 4), his individual high danger chances this season so far is 6th on the team (tied with Draisaitl, somewhat surprisigly) and his individual scoring chances is 6th on the team as well.

If Puljujarvi has his expected goal total (four) to go with his five assists at this point, I don't think anyone's too upset.

He's also taken more hits than anyone not named Ceci or Hyman, so it's not that he's not getting into the gritty areas, either.

You're conflating a lot of issue here. Puljujarvi ultimately made these decisions which have naturally drawn public attention to his situation. His agent has now piled gasoline on as an act of further bad judgement.

At end of day Puljujarvi has $3 million in the bank for this year's work and more millions beyond that. He's had all of a billion dollar big business's resources behind him to help with language and culture shock; skill development and mental health support. Unfortunately for a lot of his own doings, the person has fallen short of the player both he and the hockey world broadly expected him to be.
Now's when I can tell you with complete confidence that the Oilers did not bother to hire him an English teacher when he got here.

Again, as I've said, Puljujarvi is not blameless, and his agent has done everything but blown both his feet off at the ankle, but holding the Oilers up as flawless and beyond question ain't it either.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Puljujarvi has spent 101 minutes with McDavid this year, 234 away. He's spent more time with Ryan McLeod than he has with Leon Draisaitl. The bolded is not accurate.

If you could give two shits about his salary, then stop mentioning it in every post you make. Doesn't do much to convince that it's a non-issue for you.

If Ken Holland was going to get anything resembling value for Puljujarvi, he would have done so by now. Can't wait to see what bucket of rust we get for him. Almost assuredly going to Montreal for the shambling corpse of Edmundson. That'll go well.
He's been given repeated opportunities for top line minutes especially with the position being an area of extreme weakness for this team. The job was his for the taking but the player wasn't up for it.

His salary is part of the hindrance in dealing the player in a covid cap freeze world. That's the crux of the issue which is exasperated by the player and now agent choosing to go public with their grievances. There's zero good that comes out of that.

I'd take Edmundson in a heartbeat for Puljujarvi. So would Holland but fourth line wingers don't net second pair physical defensemen with leadership attributes. Keep dreaming.

Projecting things like 'loneliness' and other sentimental slop and suicidal stats for North America men is hyperbole in its finest. He is a man of wealth with incredible high quality support in all facets available to him by virtue of his talent whether through team, his union or management group, along with his own secure financial resources. Conflating Puljujarvi's situation to a real world issue where the majority of men at risk have none of these supports is simply laughable.

His individual expected goals this season so far is 7th on the team (around 4), his individual high danger chances this season so far is 6th on the team (tied with Draisaitl, somewhat surprisigly) and his individual scoring chances is 6th on the team as well.

If Puljujarvi has his expected goal total (four) to go with his five assists at this point, I don't think anyone's too upset.

He's also taken more hits than anyone not named Ceci or Hyman, so it's not that he's not getting into the gritty areas, either.

Now's when I can tell you with complete confidence that the Oilers did not bother to hire him an English teacher when he got here.

Again, as I've said, Puljujarvi is not blameless, and his agent has done everything but blown both his feet off at the ankle, but holding the Oilers up as flawless and beyond question ain't it either.
His agent should have been preparing Puljujarvi as a sixteen year old with the long standing projection to being an NHL draft pick and likely an elite one. Again, personal responsibility is a critical component here. Contrast that to Klim who learned passible English himself.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

JP is six years into his NHL career and on his seventh as a pro. Aside from two possibly three short streaks he has never consistently shown that he can produce at more than a mid 30's point pace. I think part of this is that he is so susceptible to the consequence of losing confidence. That as much as anything could prevent him from every achieving his goals.

I actually agree with you about the damage that can be done by constant attacks. It is one of the real downsides of the internet age. It's also why so many players would prefer to play in cities where few care about hockey. But the reality is that it comes with the territory and unless there is a massive societal change its going to be the way things are for many years to come.

It's very hard for an organization to manage this. On one hand the reporter's job is to call it like it is. And this means being critical when criticism is deserved. But too often it crosses a line. Spec and Matheson have both crossed that line more than once in my mind. I'd be more than happy to see the team eliminate their access to players, but I am not even sure if they can under the League's rules.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He's been given repeated opportunities for top line minutes especially with the position being an area of extreme weakness for this team. The job was his for the taking but the player wasn't up for it.

His salary is part of the hindrance in dealing the player in a covid cap freeze world. That's the crux of the issue which is exasperated by the player and now agent choosing to go public with their grievances. There's zero good that comes out of that.

I'd take Edmundson in a heartbeat for Puljujarvi. So would Holland but fourth line wingers don't net second pair physical defensemen with leadership attributes. Keep dreaming.

Projecting things like 'loneliness' and other sentimental slop and suicidal stats for North America men is hyperbole in its finest. He is a man of wealth with incredible high quality support in all facets available to him by virtue of his talent whether through team, his union or management group, along with his own secure financial resources. Conflating Puljujarvi's situation to a real world issue where the majority of men at risk have none of these supports is simply laughable.

His agent should have been preparing Puljujarvi as a sixteen year old with the long standing projection to being an NHL draft pick and likely an elite one. Again, personal responsibility is a critical component here. Contrast that to Klim who learned passible English himself.
we're so screwed, haha. Edmundson has been terrible the last two years and even during the Blues cup run, they slashed his minutes down to ~16 a night and healthy scratched him for Robert Bortuzzo two games in a row.

So a 24 year old having a career and life crisis and no close friends on the team doesn't get to be sad? Cool, good to know. Keep perpetuating toxic masculinity. Joe Murphy ended up homeless after his hockey career was over, did he deserve that? Belitting mental health issues serves absolutely no one.

Lehto sucks. He's been awful for Puljujarvi, but as I said, I suspect he's pretty loyal to him, most likely at his own detriment.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
When playing the game he knows, he was putting up elite defensive metrics and producing at a ~45 point rate. Now that he’s being asked to play like Zack Kassiajvi, the rest of his game has gone to pieces. Don’t twist things and pretend he didn’t have a good season last year, because he did, or that he’s the only one struggling. Half a dozen guys on this roster, and frankly, the ones behind the bench and the one calling the shots have struggled too.
When given the opportunity to speak on it, the game Jesse has always 'known' was one where he was an effective offensive leader. Likely due to a competitive advantage due to his size and physical growth at a young age. It the reason the bar he has always set for himself revolves around goals.

His defensive metrics were highly driven by his opportunity to play with elite offensive support. Those metrics unsurprisingly fell off this season.

Without much creativity I think we can come to the conclusion that this is a player that can be a safe defensive player on a skill line, but he'll be a play killer quite frequently.

As someone looking at not being qualified, it would be in his very best interest to sign in the market that trades for him next season. At league minimum.

Reactions: Biltmore

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

He grew up in finland, where they teach english in schools and most of the population speaks english, not to mention he was on track as an NHL draftee and future resident in North America long before Edmonton ever drafted him. It's usually the agent who gets the player the tutors/teachers, and there were reports that Puljujarvi did have one before the Oilers realized it wasn't working and went out and got him another one. He's also had a fluent english speaker in Koskinen, and good friend of his as you pointed out, for most of his time in Edmonton to help him out,

The language issue was always grossly overstated as an excuse for why Puljujarvi is somehow a victim of the Oilers organization by his fans.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
He’s a fourth overall pick that’s been a scorer his whole life and the people that cover this team have had their knives in his back since he was a 19 year old kid.

No they haven't. They loved him the first half last season.

If puljujarvi played his last 70 games like he played the first 25 games of last year he would be a fixture in the top 6.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
we're so screwed, haha. Edmundson has been terrible the last two years and even during the Blues cup run, they slashed his minutes down to ~16 a night and healthy scratched him for Robert Bortuzzo two games in a row.

So a 24 year old having a career and life crisis and no close friends on the team doesn't get to be sad? Cool, good to know. Keep perpetuating toxic masculinity. Joe Murphy ended up homeless after his hockey career was over, did he deserve that? Belitting mental health issues serves absolutely no one.

Lehto sucks. He's been awful for Puljujarvi, but as I said, I suspect he's pretty loyal to him, most likely at his own detriment.
Toxic masculinity - keep projecting with the hyperbole. No one is belittling mental health but you are projecting his sadness into a broad social issue. Try better than throwing slurs at people. And jumping to an extreme situation in attempt to justify yourself. No one NO ONE here has belittled mental health so stop pulling a Lehto.

We don't know Puljujarvi's situation within the team, friendships or not. Why would one assume he doesn't have any peer friendships on a team with good humans like Hyman, Nugent Hopkins, and others?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No, I won't. You said something f***ing awful and deserve to be taken to task for it. Shame on you.

Mikko Koskinen - also treated like garbage by this board - was his closest friend on the team, and now he's gone. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that he has less people that he feels close to than he did last year. It's no accident than when *competent* teams draft players from outside of North America, they usually bring in a few guys from the same area.

Where did he say he was lonely or are you making shit up? 3rd time I’ve asked now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad