Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Wheat Kings and Pretty Things, Let's See What The Expansion Draft Brings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton

Just curious. Does anyone know any top end goalies that are still playing that wanted to backstop the oilers growing up? Wouldn't mind having a top end goalie that actually wants to play for the oilers instead of a paycheck (obviously pay them fairly though)

Edit: "Wouldn't mind" is an understatement. I would be thrilled to have that happen!!

Reactions: bellagiobob

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Just curious. Does anyone know any top end goalies that are still playing that wanted to backstop the oilers growing up? Wouldn't mind having a top end goalie that actually wants to play for the oilers instead of a paycheck (obviously pay them fairly though)

Edit: "Wouldn't mind" is an understatement. I would be thrilled to have that happen!!

I don't think there's many. Most of the goalies in that 25 year old range were 10 years old when the Oilers made their run of destiny then the DoD followed.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If we have 6M for Hyman, we have 6.5M for Hall.

Last 2 seasons:

Hall (30 years old in 4 months) 118gp. 26-59-85 0.72points/game 368sog. 6PPG 20PPA 20-39-59ES 7% shooting %
Hyman (30 years old in 11 months) 94gp. 36-34-70 0.75points/game 221sog. 6PPG 5PPA 29-29-58ES 16.3% shooting %

One folds when his team is down, the other plays balls to the walls all the time.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Last 2 seasons:

Hall (30 years old in 4 months) 118gp. 26-59-85 0.72points/game 368sog. 6PPG 20PPA 20-39-59ES 7% shooting %
Hyman (30 years old in 11 months) 94gp. 36-34-70 0.75points/game 221sog. 6PPG 5PPA 29-29-58ES 16.3% shooting %

One folds when his team is down, the other plays balls to the walls all the time.

Hyman has been the guy on the Leafs for the past couple of years that I wished we could have on the Oilers. Exactly the kind of player we need. Obvious issues with injury history, age and future contract, but in just talking about his current skillset, would be a great fit.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Alberta sucks at developing goalies for some reason.

Aaron Dell and Carter Hart are the only active Alberta born goalies with more than 100 games played.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Last 2 seasons:

Hall played on tiriefire teams with a revolving door of linemates and all the bad players that come with playing on a tire fire team. Hyman played with Matthews/Marner and a elite offensive juggernaut on the Leafs. And still Hall's production is right there with him, even though it looks like Hyman had an unsustainable shooting percentage. Drag the sample size to 4 or 5 years and the stats favor Hall.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

devan_dubnyk_edmonton.jpg

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Alberta sucks at developing goalies for some reason.

Aaron Dell and Carter Hart are the only active Alberta born goalies with more than 100 games played.

They should start a program to develop more players for that position. It's a little sad we don't have more. It would be awesome to have high end goaltenders wanted to come to play for the oilers when they become UFAs because of their roots.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hyman has been the guy on the Leafs for the past couple of years that I wished we could have on the Oilers. Exactly the kind of player we need. Obvious issues with injury history, age and future contract, but in just talking about his current skillset, would be a great fit.

Exactly, whenever they play us, he is a difference maker. Nylander also plays well against us. That said, Hyman brings a game that should translate to any team. He will be an overpay, but should give us a big time boost for the front half of his contract.

Hall played on tiriefire teams with a revolving door of linemates and all the bad players that come with playing on a tire fire team. Hyman played with Matthews/Marner and a elite offensive juggernaut on the Leafs. And still Hall's production is right there with him, even though it looks like Hyman had an unsustainable shooting percentage. Drag the sample size to 4 or 5 years and the stats favor Hall.

And Hyman's linemates didn't benefit from him? They are different players, one is a skilled perimeter guy, the other is a skilled grinder with high IQ. In a perfect world we could add both and run Hyman as Connor's LW and Hall with Drai or running the 3rd line. I favor Hyman between the two based on our current mix of forwards.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Dumb of the league to tell Seattle they can't trade price back to Montreal if selected. The rules were established, that would be within the rules, so the league can go **** themselves if those teams wanted to do that.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Exactly, whenever they play us, he is a difference maker. Nylander also plays well against us. That said, Hyman brings a game that should translate to any team. He will be an overpay, but should give us a big time boost for the front half of his contract.

And Hyman's linemates didn't benefit from him? They are different players, one is a skilled perimeter guy, the other is a skilled grinder with high IQ. In a perfect world we could add both and run Hyman as Connor's LW and Hall with Drai or running the 3rd line. I favor Hyman between the two based on our current mix of forwards.

Sure Hymans linemates benefited from his hustle, but just look at the goals in the video you posted. So many are Marner making an elite offensive play, stopping up while driving forward, dekijg out someone, passing it to Matthews who then passes to Hyman for easy tap ins. Most of Hymans offense in that video is just tapping in from favorable plays created by the actual drivers of those lines in Matthews/Marner. Leafs can plug someone much cheaper than Hyman and I bet that line doesn’t miss a beat. Leafs could also add a much more skilled player to that line and that line could also take an uptick.

I don’t agree with the assessment that Hall is a perimeter player. This guy has no issue driving net front and digging in the dirty areas. He’s not a plug and he’s not going to just hustle his way into getting into situations that can injure him (Atleast not anymore) but that’s a good thing. He’s got enough offensive instincts to pick and choose when and where he drives to the net, Hyman is just automatic hustle all the time.

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. Don’t know if more could be said from either of us, but we’ve said enough to make our points. We shall see how the seasons play out for both of these players and then we’ll know.

Reactions: McAsuno

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sure Hymans linemates benefited from his hustle, but just look at the goals in the video you posted. So many are Marner making an elite offensive play, stopping up while driving forward, dekijg out someone, passing it to Matthews who then passes to Hyman for easy tap ins. Most of Hymans offense in that video is just tapping in from favorable plays created by the actual drivers of those lines in Matthews/Marner. Leafs can plug someone much cheaper than Hyman and I bet that line doesn’t miss a beat. Leafs could also add a much more skilled player to that line and that line could also take an uptick.

I don’t agree with the assessment that Hall is a perimeter player. This guy has no issue driving net front and digging in the dirty areas. He’s not a plug and he’s not going to just hustle his way into getting into situations that can injure him (Atleast not anymore) but that’s a good thing. He’s got enough offensive instincts to pick and choose when and where he drives to the net, Hyman is just automatic hustle all the time.

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. Don’t know if more could be said from either of us, but we’ve said enough to make our points. We shall see how the seasons play out for both of these players and then we’ll know.

IMO there's something to be said of players that can play well with high end skill, there is no shortage of it here.

Sounds good, we'll see how it plays out and cheer for whichever of them (if either, maybe both?) join our club.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com

Ben Scrivens

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

The only time in his career that he played with consistent line mates was in Edmonton and the only time he played for a good team was in Boston and he did great in both places. He even dragged a bad team in Jersey to the playoffs during his Hart season. Hall and Hyman would both be good options here but for the cost and term I’d rather take Hall.

Reactions: VainGretzky

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Staples seconded it.

Our media sucks so hard.
I'm not shooting the media down. I'm shooting down the things they're projecting.

I'll be very disappointed if we end up overpaying Zach Hyman. Even moreso if Adam Larsson ends up going to market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad