Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Shopping List For Forwards II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Florida is one of the teams that worry me (about taking players) because they have alot of cap space and they're in this spot where going all in makes sense, because they might see a bit of exodus in free agency.

I wonder if they flip Knight for Mittelstadt (some sort of deal like that I mean)
I remember seeing people say that Bill Zito was overrated because Florida didn't have a great regular season last year and they thought he paid too much for Tkachuk.

I firmly believe we'd have a cup if we'd hired him when we had the chance.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I remember seeing people say that Bill Zito was overrated because Florida didn't have a great season last year and they thought he paid too much for Tkachuk.

I firmly believe we'd have a cup if we'd hired him when we had the chance.
I agree with you here, but with the Caveat, it's hard to do. I suspect the team would "look" closer if nothing else.

Reactions: SoupNazi

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I agree with you here, but with the Caveat, it's hard to do. I suspect the team would "look" closer if nothing else.
It's definitely difficult, but Zito has shown an ability to make tough decisions, trade big pieces, and make his team better by any means necessary.

Their pro scouting is so good. They grabbed Gustav Forsling off of waivers and now he's arguably one of the most underrated D in the NHL.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's definitely difficult, but Zito has shown an ability to make tough decisions, trade big pieces, and make his team better by any means necessary.

Their pro scouting is so good. They grabbed Gustav Forsling off of waivers and now he's arguably one of the most underrated D in the NHL.
Yup and I agree completely, I'm just hesitant to say for sure a Cup, because that's just too hard to just say yes, but I do agree the team would look a lot more like full contender.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Chia or Holland?

Anyone other than Chia would have gotten us a few cups.
This board could have gotten us a Cup with the assets we had available.

I will say, Chia could at least draft. Biffing on Broberg and Holloway and having damned near nothing to show for five years of drafting is hurting us big time. I like Akey though. Season ending shoulder surgery, kid was born to be an Oiler

Reactions: oilers4life5

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This board could have gotten us a Cup with the assets we had available.

I will say, Chia could at least draft. Biffing on Broberg and Holloway and having damned near nothing to show for five years of drafting is hurting us big time. I like Akey though. Season ending shoulder surgery, kid was born to be an Oiler
Chia was also terrible at drafting. He's lucky 2015 was so stacked that if you got picks anywhere is almost a NHL player. The dumb part was he traded 2 picks aways. I had us picking Barzal and Hintz with those picks in my mock draft too.

Holloway and Broberg aren't really that bad. I think we are just not good at developing players

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Chia was also terrible at drafting. He's lucky 2015 was so stacked that if you got picks anywhere is almost a NHL player. The dumb part was he traded 2 picks aways. I had us picking Barzal and Hintz with those picks in my mock draft too.

Holloway and Broberg aren't really that bad. I think we are just not good at developing players
Chia's the reason we have Desharnais, Skinner, Bouchard and McLeod.

He also grabbed Jones, Bear, and Marino from later rounds in the same draft, and he also grabbed Kesselring (who we then flubbed away).

Our #1 goaltending prospect? Also a Chia pick.

Miserable at trades, miserable at signing free agents, but I'd hire Pete to run my amateur scouting department in a heartbeat.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Had no idea Hintz was only drafted in Barzal's year. Seems like he's been in the NHL forever and in his 30s... wild

But yeah I think if this board had a poll at the time we would have taken Barzal at 15 and Carlo at 33.

Reactions: Canovin

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Drafting in the first couple rounds, there are alot of depth picks that turned out decently under him.

Mattias Ekholm was traded to Edmonton on February 28th, 2023. Today is February 28th, 2024.

Clearly we are going to see a big trade today.
Come one Zub and Forsberg for Ceci and Campbell.

Reactions: Canovin

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Mattias Ekholm was traded to Edmonton on February 28th, 2023. Today is February 28th, 2024.

giphy.gif

NegativeNelly

Jun 23, 2016
Edmonton
A great defence makes an average goalie look great
A great goalie makes an average defence look great.
The Oilers are average on both of those. I believe they need a serious upgrade in one of those departments before they can advance. Adding a forward will make little to no difference IMO.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
A great defence makes an average goalie look great
A great goalie makes an average defence look great.
The Oilers are average on both of those. I believe they need a serious upgrade in one of those departments before they can advance. Adding a forward will make little to no difference IMO.
Adding good wingers make a ton of difference. It makes it easier on McDavid and Drai. They don't have to go supernova every game in order to win us games.

With that said, an elite goalie will make it easier on the entire team most nights

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Buchnevich wasnt even on the radar for me.

He checks so many boxes and he has term.
He can even play on his off wing.
He would be a great pickup. An impact player for sure.

I just wish that he was a centre although his acquisition should force Knoblauch to seperate McDavid and Draisaitl.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

It would amazing to have Buchnevich switch teams prior to the game and walk across to the Oilers dressing room so he can play his old team literally minutes after the trade. :D

• Haha
Reactions: McAsuno

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Buchnevich wasnt even on the radar for me.

He checks so many boxes and he has term.
He can even play on his off wing.
He would be a great pickup. An impact player for sure.

I just wish that he was a centre although his acquisition should force Knoblauch to seperate McDavid and Draisaitl.

Depending on who you talk to, he can play center.

It would amazing to have Buchnevich switch teams prior to the game and playing his old team literally minutes after the trade. :D

I've always wanted to see it happen immediately following the game and have them join the new team on the plane.

Has a player ever been traded to the other team mid game? Probably not given that you have to be on the starting roster.

Reactions: guymez

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

It can’t just be pro scouting. Thats half of it. They identify these guys. But they also seem really excellent at getting the most out of them.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson is having a great year after being miserable in Vancouver and with the Coyotes his last few years there.

Somehow turned Brandon Montour into a 24 minute a night dman after being an afterthought in Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille