Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Lavoie Vs. Pederson Vs. Sutter Vs. Gagner Vs. Caggiula

Which of these players makes the team?

• Lavoie

Votes: 56 39.4%
  • Pederson

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Sutter

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Gagner

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Caggiula

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Bourgault

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Petrov

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (specify in a post)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • None of them makes the team, we'll start with 11 forwards

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think Connor Brown is a good player for Holloway to watch and learn from when it comes to the two way facet of the game.

If brown isn't in the top six..
Maybe a line of (Holloway - Mcleod - Brown) could work.
That would leave foegele in the top six or
Run a line of...
(Foegele-Ryan-Janmark
Then who is in the top 6, Airbud?

Why didn't they sign Noah Gregor to a PTO? Last season, I asked about Sonny Milano too.
Milano is twice the player as Gregor is. Gregor is waiver wire fodder

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think Connor Brown is a good player for Holloway to watch and learn from when it comes to the two way facet of the game.

If brown isn't in the top six..
Maybe a line of (Holloway - Mcleod - Brown) could work.
That would leave foegele in the top six or
Run a line of...
(Foegele-Ryan-Janmark
That's a solid 3rd line and the 4th isn't bad could use a upgrade at centre. Ryan getting a little old and we need someone physical on the 4th line.

Reactions: Captain Controversy

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I could never follow along with his maths but i appreciated the efforts and yeh it made HF Oil feel like HF Oil.
Oilerbear added some spunk to the board. I liked his posts! Some of his stuff was way out there but others were pretty insightful. He once told me that math is hard and that I would not understand, bit otherwise we had some interesting discussions.

On the analytics side, I hope that they do this right. The proprietary stuff they use will likely be very different than the stuff we see. Tracking software and AI could certainly change how players and teams are evaluated.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You must make a decent coin to be able to live in NY. I mean relatively speaking. Are you Manhattan or in the Burroughs? I thought you said Manhattan during pandemic or at least you had to travel through that during pandemic. I remember some of the convos we had during that difficult time.

The trouble with a lot of the most utilized economic gauges is they don't seem to track true inflation and consumer cost very well. I mean costs can double and you'll see some indicator saying there was like 6% inflation...;)

The cost of living increases are unprecedented, and the most seen since they started keeping track in the 50's.
Sorry I'm getting back to you late here.

I make a "decent" living, no way can I afford to live in Manhattan haha. Somebody close to me just put their Manhattan 1 bedroom apartment on the market for... guess what? 880K and I bet he'll get it. You could probably buy a massive house in Edmonton for that price.
I live in Queens but the more suburban part of Queens away from the urban crawl which is most of Queens, close enough to the city for a good commute but far enough away where it's affordable.

In any event, inflation seems to be hitting us all pretty hard and it's all relative like in Edmonton, the cost of housing is a lot lower than New York but so are annual salaries so it all balances out.

Well you are close to as far away in the US as you can get from where I live and it sounds like similar issues there.
For sure. I know that Hawaii is one of the more expensive places to live in the U.S. so I know you guys are getting hit hard as well then add in the tragic wildfires (glad you and yours are doing well btw) and it's a rough time.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
One of the biggest drama queens in the entire NHL.

First day of training camp and he drops a bomb like that on the franchise, what an upstanding captain he is :laugh:
I mean I find it odd they haven't started just to see what kind term and dollars they are looking at.

But, I find it a lot more odd that the captain is saying what he is saying. I know players get asked these questions all the time, but there are a lot better ways to answer that question.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Tarus

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I'm hoping Erne gets a spot. Big boy and could be a sleeper in the top 6
That would be a pretty big win if it were to happen (I don’t see it even as a long shot, it would mean he’s pushed Kane or Hyman down the lineup onto a 3rd or 4th line). He wasn’t even close to top 6 in Detroit last year and their top 6 wasn’t as loaded as this years Oilers. I think at best he gets spot duty when they need some beef up front for certain lineups, and he’s not even that big really… he’s the NHL average, so it’s a looooongshot.

edit - not to even say he would go from PTO to top 6 on one of the best top 6 in the NHL.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm hoping Erne gets a spot. Big boy and could be a sleeper in the top 6

I don't see Erne getting a top 6 spot. But a bit like Kassian, he can surprise with surprisingly smooth hands, and he's surprisingly decent in front of the net.

He's not in Maroon's class, but he can fill a very similar role. Where he could be really useful is if Hyman gets hurt and they need a net front presence for the PP. Kane is fairly pedestrian at, and I'd say Janmark is only other option upfront who has experence in the role (he actually had decent results in the past with Dallas and Vegas in the role).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sorry I'm getting back to you late here.

I make a "decent" living, no way can I afford to live in Manhattan haha. Somebody close to me just put their Manhattan 1 bedroom apartment on the market for... guess what? 880K and I bet he'll get it. You could probably buy a massive house in Edmonton for that price.
I live in Queens but the more suburban part of Queens away from the urban crawl which is most of Queens, close enough to the city for a good commute but far enough away where it's affordable.

In any event, inflation seems to be hitting us all pretty hard and it's all relative like in Edmonton, the cost of housing is a lot lower than New York but so are annual salaries so it all balances out.

For sure. I know that Hawaii is one of the more expensive places to live in the U.S. so I know you guys are getting hit hard as well then add in the tragic wildfires (glad you and yours are doing well btw) and it's a rough time.
Yeah, sorry I mistook your location. During pandemic I remember you talking about how hard it was going to work through the bustle and crowded places around NY.

Yeah Real estate more manageable here but we're seeing major uptick in pricing too. Funny thing is a lot of the skinny houses now being built are 800K range here. Edmonton is going with the same tragic rezoning changes and infill allowances that Vancouver went with. The superficial thought was that cropping properties and building 2 or more homes on one standard lot would make housing more available, and ultimately more affordable. Not the case as the builders will give you a tiny sliver of lot and still want to charge top prices.

Thus eyesores like this with no yard and in many areas surrounded on all sides by similar builds stacked close together.

Now one would think a builder could make something like the above on split infill lots for a lot more like 300-400K but they don't. They lather on a list of highest possibly priced building materials and thus the sticker shock pricing for infill housing.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yeah, sorry I mistook your location. During pandemic I remember you talking about how hard it was going to work through the bustle and crowded places around NY.

Yeah Real estate more manageable here but we're seeing major uptick in pricing too. Funny thing is a lot of the skinny houses now being built are 800K range here. Edmonton is going with the same tragic rezoning changes and infill allowances that Vancouver went with. The superficial thought was that cropping properties and building 2 or more homes on one standard lot would make housing more available, and ultimately more affordable. Not the case as the builders will give you a tiny sliver of lot and still want to charge top prices.

Thus eyesores like this with no yard and in many areas surrounded on all sides by similar builds stacked close together.

Now one would think a builder could make something like the above on split infill lots for a lot more like 300-400K but they don't. They lather on a list of highest possibly priced building materials and thus the sticker shock pricing for infill housing.
You hit on exactly the issue with infill building. I grew up in Highlands and own an old house in the area that we bought from my parents when they had to move out. The house which was built in 1939 is perfectly livable, but it requires some updating. Maybe $30-40K to bring it mostly up to today's standards. As it is the house will probably end up being a tear down which is a major shame. The house 2 doors down, which is in bad shape, is for sale for $195K and will almost surely be torn down. After about $12K to tear it down and to get asbestos clearance you have an investor with a little over $200K in the now vacant lot. A 33 ft lot up the street is going for $254K. 50 ft lots in the neighborhood have been split into 2 25's and sold for just under $200K each. Even for starter homes people are looking for houses that are at least twice the size as the ones that would be torn down or the one I own. So there is almost no way to keep it under $500K for a builder if the want to make any profit and look for an upscale buyer looking for a trendy neighborhood and mostly no maintenance yard. So they go bigger. The result is that you get rid of a bunch of $200-400K houses and replace them with houses that go from $500-800K with almost no real gain in density.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I don't see Erne getting a top 6 spot. But a bit like Kassian, he can surprise with surprisingly smooth hands, and he's surprisingly decent in front of the net.

He's not in Maroon's class, but he can fill a very similar role. Where he could be really useful is if Hyman gets hurt and they need a net front presence for the PP. Kane is fairly pedestrian at, and I'd say Janmark is only other option upfront who has experence in the role (he actually had decent results in the past with Dallas and Vegas in the role).
Holland can cut Erne today and go buy N. Ritchie. Erne is not even a true NHL guy at this point.
And while he is at it he can go trade Lavoie for Kovacevic.

Two nhl players we need for never has been and most likely never will. However i must admit Lavoie took a step forward defensively last year. He is still a fair ways below acceptable but maybe another 4 or 5 months in the A and we might have something.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
He probably has a deal already agreed to. For the teams that have to dip into LTIR to stay compliant like the Leafs they will have to wait until day 1 of the season to actually ink a deal. Same with Comtois in Vegas, etc.
Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your viewpoint there is a sniff of a rumor out there that the decision on the boys has been made. Maybe its just some heads talking or guessing. Nothing real though.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Pesce and Schiefele (both double retained) at the deadline would only require Foegele being shipped out to be cap compliant. It would cost a lot of picks and prospects, but damn that would make the Oilers hands down favourites.

Kane McDavid Brown
RNH Drai Schiefele
Holloway McLeod Hyman
Janmark Ryan Lavoie

Nurse Pesce
Ekholm Bouchard
Kulak Ceci
Desharnais

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events