Rumors on changes in the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Reports that a deal involving Colin White has been reached are comming in from several sources, but it has yet to be confirmed by any league or team officials. The return is said to be another move in getting younger and deeper.
If the reports are true, this is a signal that starting goalie Curtis Joseph is also on his way out of Colorado. Stay tuned for news on what's going on in Colorado.

In other news, Colorado's future looks really bright with the Mountain Dew endorsement criteria already being met by 3 AHL forwards in Eric Fehr, Marc-Antoine Pouliot and Sean Bergenheim and 1 CHL forward in Stanislav Lascek. Add to this Bobby Ryan and Benoit Mondeau who are 11 and 13 points away from the 100 points in CHL, goaltender Ondrej Pavelec who tops all QMJHL goalies in his rookie year, and AHL-forwards Marek Kvapil and Marc Mancari who are 10 and 11 points away from the required 40 points.

Due to the rules of the endorsement Colorado can only get money for only 4 of the 9 players that could qualify for the endorsement.

HFNHL Red Wings

Ville - I really hope you have equivalent level OV's coming back. You are barely maintaining the league minimum OV and Colin White and Curtis Joseph represent your two highest rated players. Without other significant players coming back I can't see any deal that would drop you below the minimum being approved.

FYI - I was going to send this as a private message but instead choose to post this as a reminder to a few other teams that are barely at the league minimum.
Also remember there is a second tier required (minimum 70OV) to be eligible for a share in the luxury tax allocation.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
HFNHL Red Wings said:
Ville - I really hope you have equivalent level OV's coming back. You are barely maintaining the league minimum OV and Colin White and Curtis Joseph represent your two highest rated players. Without other significant players coming back I can't see any deal that would drop you below the minimum being approved.

FYI - I was going to send this as a private message but instead choose to post this as a reminder to a few other teams that are barely at the league minimum.
Also remember there is a second tier required (minimum 70OV) to be eligible for a share in the luxury tax allocation.

Drew, I don't want to lay out the ideas on the trades on the boards, but I've made the calculations and it all clears out perfectly fine. At the moment I'm sitting at 68,35 in OV and if these two moves go the way I want, I'm ending up at 68,0 which is well withint the limit of 67,5.. I'm dropping a little on D and G but I'm adding a few points in the forwards to make up for the losses in OV. I'm balancing the 68 line, but it will be within the limits set up before the season started. What comes to next season and a lift of the OV-limit to 70, that will not be a problem for me with prospects comming in, young players getting uprated and most likely a few UFA's comming in.

Last edited:

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Reports out of Colorado say that a deal involving Cujo has now been reached and that this means Marc Denis will take over as starter again after half a season on the bench. Stay tuned for more info on these two moves.

and Colorado still stays over the 67,5 OV-limit

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
The rumours of the trades of two of the mainstays on the defense of Colorado are being shipped out have been confirmed by GM Isopää. Colin White and Curtis Joseph have been traded to playoff teams in related trades.

Colin White is moving to Philadelphia for defensemen Paul Ranger and Shane Hnidy and two draftpicks [PHI1 06, LAK5 06].

Curtis Joseph was then moved to Tampa Bay along with Shane Hnidy and cash for veteran goalie Ron Tugnutt, forwards Mikael Samuelsson and Scott Nichol and Tampa Bay's 2nd rounder in 2007.

This is what Mr.Isopää had to say: "Yes, it's true. We have traded the duo to different playoff teams. We knew Cujo wanted a shot at the cup and as he's getting up in the years we felt it was only right to move him now and give Marc back the place he has had since he took over from Cechmanek a few years back. We have full confidence in him." he continued "With Cujo being moved, Colin came to me and asked if he could also be given a shot at the cup. Since he was going to be UFA after next season and chances are he would have taken an offer from a cup contender at that time, we felt this was the time to trade him to get maximum value for him."

about the return, Mr.Isopää had this to say:
"Paul is a young defenseman who we belive can claim a regular spot on the roster as soon as next season. We are aware that our defense will be the youngest in the league with Komi, Morrisonn, Ranger and Ballard. But there will still be two veterans to guide them in Robidas and Visnovsky."

"Samuelsson will give us a veteran winger who can take over from Audette and help Crosby and Olesz get a smooth transition to the HFNHL. We like what he brings to the table and he will give us some much needed depth on the wing."

"We're bringing back Scott Nichol. He was very happy when he heard it and immediatly called me up and wanted to thank me about getting him back to Colorado, where his family has stayed even after he was traded. He'll be happy to find a lot of his old friends are still here and we think he'll fit well in the locker room."

"Ron Tugnutt is brought in to backup Marc Denis down the stretch. He will also work part time as goalie coach for Denis and Hauser. During the summer he has already told us he'd like to help with the coaching of the top goalie of the Q, Ondrej Pavelec."

"We also recieved some draftpicks in these trades, and aim to move up the late first rounder we recived to soemwhere in the 5-10 region of the draft. We will see how this will work out when we get closer to the draft, but we have our eyes set on a few players in that region, and hope that we can make a push for a pick come draft time. For now, we are most likely done with trading this season, but as usual, we're always up for suggestions and offers."

Overall, the reason for these trades were simple. The two players in question were unlikely to re-sign with the Av's after next season and this was the time to get maximum value for them.

For the two players, this gives them a shot at the playoffs.

For Colorado, the re-build continues.

Last edited:

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Flyers' Confirm Report of Deal but Still Waiting for League Approval

(AP) "We certainly had talks with TB and a deal was sent to the league, however, there were some issues outside of our club's control. The league has not sent our team confirmation of the deal," explained GM Mannarino.

When asked further about how White would fit in with the team and the relatively high price paid for White, the GM gave us these details, "White is an outstanding defensive defenseman. His his defensive skill set (ratings) would be second only to Sheldon. He would play on the #1 or #2 defensive pairing and on the #1PK. That would give us Souray, Rathje, Markov and White as our top 4, which in my opinion is as good a group in the league and all of these guys are signed until at least the end of next year."

Colin White is currently making $600,000 a year and has another year on his contract. The success of this deal will be judged on if Philly can resign White to an extension next year.

"Certainly the economics of this deal where a big reason we were willing to give up so much. Besides the first rounder we had high hopes for Paul Ranger and we feel he'll be an excellent defenseman in the league for a long time to come and Hnidy is no slouch himself, however as I said, if the league does not approve the deal, we'll be happy to keep Paul and Shane in the fold."

"If this deal goes through however, expect us to make one more deal. We've been trying to deal for another starting goalie to backup Dominik but so far no-one has been willing to make a deal."

With the addition of White rumours have the Flyers' offering Anton Volchenkov a GM favourite. "Anton is not available and if he were it would only be for a goaltender that could help us not only for this year but for many years to come."

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
(APF) The Flyers have released the following statement:

"The league has approved the Colorado/Philadelphia deal involving Colin White. The Flyers are very excited to have Colin join our club and feel he will have a big impact on our defense. His relatively low salary does not affect our salary structure and gives us the flexibility to either sign Hasek or attempt to trade for another goalie. We've made a lot of deals in the last few months in an effort to get ready for this year's playoffs and have dealt away some really good talent including our #1 pick this year but we're confident the moves will help us this year and in the future. All the players we've acquired so far have multiple years remaining on the their contract and have been 30 yrs of age or younger. The future on defense has not been jeopardized in any way and we expect Tim Gleason, Brent Seabrooke and Thomas Pock to contribute significantly next year and Boris Valibik and Mark Sauer the following year. We also have confidence in our current goaltenders and should the team not be able to secure another goalie this year, we're confident that Pascal Leclaire could start for us next year. To all the Flyer fans please now that we are not done improving our club for this year and next."

Best regards,
Flyer Management

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
When will Cujo and Hnidy be moved to TBL? I won last night with Divis in goal but I dont think I will win that many games with Divis in goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad