Rumor: Rumors and Trade Proposals Thread | Pissing Their Primes Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
But the cost to acquire is also huge. Injury history and style of play isn't what this team needs.
I would stay away from Chychrun unless the plan is to offload Nurse down the road.

Broberg is fine for future so we just need a rental like Gavrikov for this season
I think you have a fair amount of comp for that rental and some of those in the east think they will be able to resign him ....and they might be right.
Whats your offer to Kek...realizing he would like to resign him as well.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think you have a fair amount of comp for that rental and some of those in the east think they will be able to resign him ....and they might be right.
Whats your offer to Kek...realizing he would like to resign him as well.
Puljujarvi+1st

Not many teams left that can give up a 2023 1st for a rental

They can re-sign Gavrikov after the season if they want

Reactions: gordonhught

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Puljujarvi+1st

Not many teams left that can give up a 2023 1st for a rental

They can re-sign Gavrikov after the season if they want
Expensive rental but realistic...maybe only Jersey could/would offer more possibly can resign him and they wouldnt hurt themselves doing it and they are only one player away. If you could get Gavrikov....(Not my ideal pick but he would definitely help)
Were one quality cycle guy away on the fourth line to help ...needs to be able to skate have a bit of vision and some hands and size and an idea of when to use it would be ncie.....
Any ideas on that?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Agree, goal suppression is the primary need and weakness of this team. A veteran stabilizer would really help. Ekholm fits that to a tee but not sure about availability and acquisition cost. Gavrikov is a great age and solid two way game. Just don't see the Oil betting big chips on a UFA. Chychrun isn't that player but the size, ability and sweet contract improves this d with quality support around Nurse. Acquisition cost is mitigated by cheap contract and team control.

Will be interesting to see if this team can stabilize its d after two West Coast wins.
I just see Chychrun and Nurse as very similar players, with Chychrun having the edge offensively but it just doesn’t make sense to pay the substantial premium the Coyotes are asking considering he’s not an ideal fit for team needs and they likely won’t be able to deploy him in a manner to maximize his value and justify the price paid. Maybe if you were convinced the staff could alter Nurse’s game enough to consistently and dependably take the hardest defensive minutes and matchups.

If it was my show the main target would be Gavrikov but of course I’d want the opportunity to speak with his representation and be confident I could get him re-signed. If it didn’t work out then next I’d hope the Preds fall off and Poile would love Ekholm before the deadline but price would have to be commensurate with the cap realities of the league, which I think a lot of selling gm’s are struggling to accept.

Failing all else I would circle back to Chychrun, I’d pay top 10 protected first this year and unprotected 1st next year along with a prospect like Lavoie and they’d have to take back Foegele and Puljujarvi to make the cap work. You get the upgrade for this season, though not ideal, you can give it a go and still continue searching for a better fit. Chychrun is likely to hold the value of a 1st and good prospect until the deadline of his lending ufa season. By then maybe you find a better option and move him to bring in that guy or possibly Broberg has developed into that option and you can deal Chychrun to recoup value, in the mean time it gives you time and can deal Barrie in the summer for cap space and to recoup some draft value lost in the Chychrun deal knowing that if Bouchard isn’t ready to take over Barries role you have another strong PP option in Chychrun.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I just see Chychrun and Nurse as very similar players, with Chychrun having the edge offensively but it just doesn’t make sense to pay the substantial premium the Coyotes are asking considering he’s not an ideal fit for team needs and they likely won’t be able to deploy him in a manner to maximize his value and justify the price paid. Maybe if you were convinced the staff could alter Nurse’s game enough to consistently and dependably take the hardest defensive minutes and matchups.

If it was my show the main target would be Gavrikov but of course I’d want the opportunity to speak with his representation and be confident I could get him re-signed. If it didn’t work out then next I’d hope the Preds fall off and Poile would love Ekholm before the deadline but price would have to be commensurate with the cap realities of the league, which I think a lot of selling gm’s are struggling to accept.

Failing all else I would circle back to Chychrun, I’d pay top 10 protected first this year and unprotected 1st next year along with a prospect like Lavoie and they’d have to take back Foegele and Puljujarvi to make the cap work. You get the upgrade for this season, though not ideal, you can give it a go and still continue searching for a better fit. Chychrun is likely to hold the value of a 1st and good prospect until the deadline of his lending ufa season. By then maybe you find a better option and move him to bring in that guy or possibly Broberg has developed into that option and you can deal Chychrun to recoup value, in the mean time it gives you time and can deal Barrie in the summer for cap space and to recoup some draft value lost in the Chychrun deal knowing that if Bouchard isn’t ready to take over Barries role you have another strong PP option in Chychrun.
Have you watched these players play....cause if you had i think you would have slightly different opinions on Gavrikov and Chychrun.
If you watch the last game of columbus against Caroline i think you will start to see some things about Gavrikov especially from about the middle of the game on. It may affect how you see him fitting into our group. He could help with hopefully some continued development by Bouchard. Expensive rental though.
Holland probably poop himself making that deal.
Chychrun by himself doesnt fix our main problem....he is darned expensive and doesnt fit into Holland's overall plan either--keep beating ur head against the wall here.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Have you watched these players play....cause if you had i think you would have slightly different opinions on Gavrikov and Chychrun.
As realistic options for the Oilers I’ve looked at the available information related to the players quite a bit, including watching a good portion of game action of each from this season. I have a good grasp on each players strength and weaknesses, how they’ve been deployed, how that affects their results.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

It's a fascinating situation because the forward group is in prime years and ready to rumble but the d-corp is lagging in top end ability and diversity of player types. Broberg and Bouchard are young pedigree players but likely not in a position to impact the d-corp this year (and maybe next).

Personally I don't see Holland jumping into a high risk flight risk UFA option likely Gavrikov. Even with an opportunity to talk with his agent, I suspect is the player would be advised to wait three-four months and see what the market offers with both salary and destination. Russian players in such situation generally migrate to big U.S. cities or southern sunshine. Oil can't hope for an early spring thaw and hangin' with Connor and Leon. I like the player and fit but the Oiler organizational pipeline can't afford a one and done with their premium assets.

Part of me wonders about prioritizing 1RD to help stabilize Nurse with an elite shutdown type pushing Ceci, Barrie/Bouchard down to 3RD. A move like Ekholm might give flexibility to move between LD and RD in situational play and able to play down the lineup in last year(s) of his deal though I think his game stays strong. Expensive cap hit wise though and likely possibly costs Bouchard or Broberg + 1st.

Holland is going to use the runway to the trade deadline to see what this team has with Broberg, Bouchard and maybe Desharnais. But it is a quandary and I don't think nibbling around the corners is going to cut it.

Addendum: All the talk of Ekholm's goal suppression skills we can't sleep on the player's durability but also his points per game averages the last five years, .37 (this yr); .41; .48.; 49;. 55.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think the impact that Chychrun would bring is massively understated. The load it would take off of Nurse would be huge.
I don't.

I think it's understated how shallow the depth is at forward. And moving Foegele and Puljujarvi to offset the salary to add a guy like Chychrun means that either Chychrun or Nurse would be taking on some of that unfavorable workload where we aren't generating much of anything offensively. And that isn't particularly new either.

I think that it's overstated what Chychrun ultimately brings to the table because he's a young defenseman on an attractive contract playing favorable minutes on a team with very low expectations of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawunderboy

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't.

I think it's understated how shallow the depth is at forward. And moving Foegele and Puljujarvi to offset the salary to add a guy like Chychrun means that either Chychrun or Nurse would be taking on some of that unfavorable workload where we aren't generating much of anything offensively. And that isn't particularly new either.

I think that is overstated what Chychrun ultimately brings to the table because he's a young defenseman on an attractive contract playing favorable minutes on a team with very low expectations of him.
You'd probably create more offense by getting rid of Foegele and Pulju.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't.

I think that is overstated what Chychrun ultimately brings to the table because he's a young defenseman on an attractive contract playing favorable minutes on a team with very low expectations of him.
The Oilers forward depth is far from shallow. They have five 1st line forwards essentially then they have Kostin, Janmark, Yamamoto and McLeod that are topChy9 forwards. Foegele and Puljujarvi have played like top 9 forwards in the past, Holloway is developing into a guy you can probably play up the lineup at times. Ryan is a guy you can plug into the 4th in a pinch. Forward depth is not an issue anymore. even with Foegele and Puljujarci gone who have provided little offensive punch anyway.

The big hole in the lineup is somebody who can anchor the 2nd pairing. I know that Broberg and Bouchard have had a nice stretch but they need sheltering. Kulak and Barrie are high end 3rd pairing to low end 2nd pairing guys at even strength, Nurse is a #2 masquerading as a #1. They need somebody to anchor a 2nd pairing not only to support the young Dmen but to also take the load off of Nurse so he isn't playing high end #1 minutes nightly. Chychrun seems like the best candidate for that role, then Gavrikov. Unless Broberg or Bouchard take a big step forward, the Oilers have no shot to win a Cup as is. They need a significant addition to that blueline.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The Oilers forward depth is far from shallow. They have five 1st line forwards essentially then they have Kostin, Janmark, Yamamoto and McLeod that are topChy9 forwards. Foegele and Puljujarvi have played like top 9 forwards in the past, Holloway is developing into a guy you can probably play up the lineup at times. Ryan is a guy you can plug into the 4th in a pinch. Forward depth is not an issue anymore. even with Foegele and Puljujarci gone who have provided little offensive punch anyway.

The big hole in the lineup is somebody who can anchor the 2nd pairing. I know that Broberg and Bouchard have had a nice stretch but they need sheltering. Kulak and Barrie are high end 3rd pairing to low end 2nd pairing guys at even strength, Nurse is a #2 masquerading as a #1. They need somebody to anchor a 2nd pairing not only to support the young Dmen but to also take the load off of Nurse so he isn't playing high end #1 minutes nightly. Chychrun seems like the best candidate for that role, then Gavrikov. Unless Broberg or Bouchard take a big step forward, the Oilers have no shot to win a Cup as is. They need a significant addition to that blueline.
need a good third-line center to help the defensive pairings and create some lasting structural stability... then the team can build an identity

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

It's pretty shallow. When you split all three centers at least one of those lines is lacking a significant wing support. Even if you assume that the RNH-Janmark-Kostin line is something that can continue to be effective, which is a very big ask, you don't have the depth to ride out a significant injury.

When apart McDavid and Draisaitl have had horrendous 5v5 results while the other lines can never be relied to produce consistently.

I agree that an upgrade at 2LD would be beneficial, but it wouldn't take much to provide that bump. And if you were able to make a more significant add up front, I'd argue that the team would be better all around even with a reasonably subtle add at LD.

I also wouldn't rely on Chychrun to 'shelter' anybody.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If you're moving big pieces for Chychrun, you might as well move some small ones for forward help too.

Decent bottom sixers aren't hard to get. See Kostin and Janmark.
I have a laundry list of bottom sixers who have flamed out quickly over the years. It's pretty rare that I'll agree with Broberg Speed, but a big minute, two-way C would really help set the work level, take key face-offs, help improve the PK and add an additional impact forward at evens. They'd also cost consistently less and make a smaller cap impact, meaning you could probably add more.

Seattle, LA, Calgary are all teams that are going to throw three lines at you in the playoffs with consistency. You need to be able to match them because you can't consistently rely on McDavid and Draisaitl giving you a 2 or 3 goal cushion every night. Especially if the whistles go away.

Pay the exorbitant ask for Chychrun and one of the Ds is getting shafted in terms of icetime. Their workload may 'decrease' but so does the offensive push and overall line support.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I have a laundry list of bottom sixers who have flamed out quickly over the years. It's pretty rare that I'll agree with Broberg Speed, but a big minute, two-way C would really help set the work level, take key face-offs, help improve the PK and add an additional impact forward at evens. They'd also cost consistently less and make a smaller cap impact, meaning you could probably add more.

Seattle, LA, Calgary are all teams that are going to throw three lines at you in the playoffs with consistency. You need to be able to match them because you can't consistently rely on McDavid and Draisaitl giving you a 2 or 3 goal cushion every night. Especially if the whistles go away.

Pay the exorbitant ask for Chychrun and one of the Ds is getting shafted in terms of icetime. Their workload may 'decrease' but so does the offensive push and overall line support.

I’d say that the Oilers look to have 3 lines they can throw out there with consistency as well, particularly when Kane is back

Kane - McDavid - Yamamoto
McLeod - Draisaitl - Hyman
Janmark - Nugent-Hopkins - Kostin

Some variation of that should be plenty, no?

Reactions: McDoused

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Nurse is 4th in the league in 5v5 TOI and TOI vs. Elite Comp. Reducing his minutes isn't shafting him. It'll let him be used like a #1D instead of a top5 D in the league.

A second pairing D is going to see far more minutes against the other team's top6 than a third line center would if you're worried about matching a team's top three lines.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I’d say that the Oilers look to have 3 lines they can throw out there with consistency as well, particularly when Kane is back

Can't have RNH playing center for the playoff push or the playoffs and we need to be rid of Yamamoto once and for all.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Why are people saying Chychrun is redundant? Our current d-core has zero offensive ability, outside a couple guys having a decent shot (once in a blue moon). Our guys can't really pass (outside of bouch), can't skate out of danger, can't walk a blueline, can't get shots through (even on PP, Barrie hits more shinpads than sekera).

We need Chychrun and a stay at home guy, and someone like barrie needs to go, who really isn't good in any area of the ice.

Reactions: Macheteops

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Those are the three I'm seeing today. I think we're jumping the gun thinking that would be sufficient.

Nuge's third line has some question marks about how consistent it would be considering two of those guys were waived at the beginning of the year. How will it match up against some of the more physical checking lines in the playoffs?

Drai's line, too. McLeod is having a reasonably solid season, but you're talking about some pretty heavy matchups. And Draisaitl's results away from McDavid haven't been all that great.

Give me a two-way C that plays with some pace. If you decide to stack the top line or a significant forward gets hurt and your third line doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Can't have RNH playing center for the playoff push or the playoffs and we need to be rid of Yamamoto once and for all.
Yamamoto isn't going anywhere. I'd put money on Foegele and Puljujarvi being moved by the deadline though.

Reactions: Oilhawks

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Nuge's third line has some question marks about how consistent it would be considering two of those guys were waived at the beginning of the year. How will it match up against some of the more physical checking lines in the playoffs?
Not sure this really matters. If those physical checking lines are matched up against Nuge, it means they're not matched up against the McDavid or Drai lines. That's a win in itself.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I don't.

I think that it's overstated what Chychrun ultimately brings to the table because he's a young defenseman on an attractive contract playing favorable minutes on a team with very low expectations of him.
He's a good young top pairing defender on a really good contract. Even if you don't think he's top pairing he's a really solid #3 on a great contract then.

I also don't subscribe to the notion goibg around that he's just another offensive defenseman. So we'll have to agree to disagree. I also won't be upset if they hold onto Broberg and find another way to upgrade.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nurse is 4th in the league in 5v5 TOI and TOI vs. Elite Comp. Reducing his minutes isn't shafting him. It'll let him be used like a #1D instead of a top5 D in the league.

A second pairing D is going to see far more minutes against the other team's top6 than a third line center would if you're worried about matching a team's top three lines.
And as I've said before, it won't take the most inflated option on the market to alleviate that workload. You're upgrading on Brett Kulak.

You pay two or three first rounders and remove multiple healthy bodies from the current roster to make space and you're not necessarily putting an improved product on the ice. You're moving depth from one place to another.

Not sure this really matters. If those physical checking lines are matched up against Nuge, it means they're not matched up against the McDavid or Drai lines. That's a win in itself.
There are teams that can ice three of those lines though. If Seattle continues to roll like they have, they're one of them. LA is another and they got better in the offseason adding Fiala, who has lit us up this season. Colorado is going to be deep again, too.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

I’m sorry, Chychrun and Nurse are nothing alike. Nurse is one of the worst defenders in league for defending the rush, Chychrun excels at it. Chychrun is also significantly better at in-zone defense. Like they really aren’t close at all. Chychrun comes here and he is our best defender by a large margin. He is the right age and is an excellent 2 way defender. He is the guy you want.

Ekholm makes 6.75M for 4 more years and is 32. He is already in decline. That’s not the guy Oilers need or should go after. Gavrikov is also a decent target- but he isn’t close to the player Chychrun is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad