Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: ... Silent Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
They have Bouchard, Broberg, and Lavoie from the last two drafts -- prospects they honestly have no business having, they shouldn't be picking top 10 and that high in the 2nd round year after year with McDavid.

They are going to have to bring in some short term fixes whether they like it or not and that's going to cost futures.

At least with Hall you have a reasonably decent shot at resigning him, he likes the market and he has a lot of friends on the team. If you could eek into a playoff spot with better secondary scoring taking the pressure other areas, he would be very likely to stay as he never wanted to leave in the first place.

They haven't been balancing the prospect pool + current needs of the team at all. They just hoarde 1st/2nd round picks year after year and haven't used a single 1st or 2nd to improve the team with a proven player in any one of the last 5-6 years.
I agree Holland needs to make moves and I’m sure he isn’t sitting on his hands but I’m also aware it can’t be easy with every team out there not willing to do us any favours in letting us win the trade. As for Hall if he wants to sign here in offseason at a decent price that’s great but then don’t use our picks and prospects on him for this years rental use them on another player with term. Then you have hall and what ever other player we acquire next year.
Holland needs to find the balance for now and the future

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They have Bouchard, Broberg, and Lavoie from the last two drafts -- prospects they honestly have no business having, they shouldn't be picking top 10 and that high in the 2nd round year after year with McDavid.

They are going to have to bring in some short term fixes whether they like it or not and that's going to cost futures.

At least with Hall you have a reasonably decent shot at resigning him, he likes the market and he has a lot of friends on the team. If you could eek into a playoff spot with better secondary scoring taking the pressure other areas, he would be very likely to stay as he never wanted to leave in the first place.

They haven't been balancing the prospect pool + current needs of the team at all. They just hoarde 1st/2nd round picks year after year and haven't used a single 1st or 2nd to improve the team with a proven player in any one of the last 5-6 years.

They traded for Reinhart which is basically them still gambling on more magic beans (trading a 16/33 pick for a recent no.4 pick).

I think with the cap teams are more reluctant to trade their 1sts now. Even at TDL teams aren't trading 1sts like they used to since ELC contracts are so valuable now. If I were a betting man then I doubt Hall signs here. He wants to play for a proven winning team and we're more then just a Hall away from being that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree Holland needs to make moves and I’m sure he isn’t sitting on his hands but I’m also aware it can’t be easy with every team out there not willing to do us any favours in letting us win the trade. As for Hall if he wants to sign here in offseason at a decent price that’s great but then don’t use our picks and prospects on him for this years rental use them on another player with term. Then you have hall and what ever other player we acquire next year.

No team does anyone favors. This team refuses to ever trade a 1st or 2nd round pick unless it's for another brand of magic beans.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think with the cap teams are more reluctant to trade their 1sts now. Even at TDL teams aren't trading 1sts like they used to since ELC contracts are so valuable now. If I were a betting man then I doubt Hall signs here. He wants to play for a proven winning team and we're more then just a Hall away from being that.

No really only the Oilers are paralyzed in trading their 1st or 2nd for help. Vancouver, Arizona, and Colorado have traded their 1st or 2nd for forward upgrades.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
No team does anyone favors. This team refuses to ever trade a 1st or 2nd round pick unless it's for another brand of magic beans.
No team does anyone any favours but when your a weaker team like the oilers then your trading from a disadvantage. Only way this team is going to get better is one move at a time it’s not getting done all at once. And they have to be the right moves because one wrong move sets this team back. Just ask PC

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No team does anyone any favours but when your a weaker team like the oilers then your trading from a disadvantage. Only way this team is going to get better is one move at a time it’s not getting done all at once. And they have to be the right moves because one wrong move sets this team back. Just ask PC

They are going to have to accept that they have to part with some picks and futures. If Colorado, Arizona, and Vancouver can do it, the Oilers have no excuse.

They can't make trades because they're never willing to include any kind of valuable pick.

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
If we want a top talent we're likely trading our pick. I'm sure it will have protection attached unless we trade for a Kopitar level player.

2nd + one of our D prospects and a dump might be a solid package for a 2nd line guy though.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
They are going to have to accept that they have to part with some picks and futures. If Colorado, Arizona, and Vancouver can do it, the Oilers have no excuse.
And I agree moves need to be made I just want them to be 100% sure there the right moves before they make them. And for that I’m willing to be somewhat patient for now. I don’t want them to make a deal just for the sake of making a move to make the fans happy only to have it backfire on them

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
If we want a top talent we're likely trading our pick. I'm sure it will have protection attached unless we trade for a Kopitar level player.

2nd + one of our D prospects and a dump might be a solid package for a 2nd line guy though.
The further we fall in the standings improves the return on our first. But I’d prefer to keep it with this draft and give up other picks or prospects

Reactions: Not Canada Drai

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
No really only the Oilers are paralyzed in trading their 1st or 2nd for help. Vancouver, Arizona, and Colorado have traded their 1st or 2nd for forward upgrades.

From 2015 to 2020 we traded 1 1st round pick, Colorado and Vancouver have traded 0 1st round picks while Arizona has traded 4 1st round picks.

In the 2nd round we traded 2 picks plus gave one to Boston for signing Chia. Vancouver traded 3 picks, Colorado 5 picks and Arizona 6 picks.

Arizona has been the most aggressive in trading picks but how much better are they for it?

Here's the combined point totals of each of these teams from 2015/16 to today;

EDM: 374

COL: 365

VAN: 340

ARI: 350

We've been the most productive team the past 5 seasons yet we've traded the least 1st/2nd round picks.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The same theory they have been doing for 10+ years. Add another magic bean. No trades to improve the top 6 or top 4 D. Suck the following year. Rinse and repeat.

But hey, we could get that Lefreinire kid! What if the pick turned out to be him? Who gives a flying F. We do not want it. Want established players now.

If this organization actually gets scared of missing out on that 1st pick, then god help them.
Again you're dropping the past history of old management into the lap of new management and trying to pass it off as the same.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
oYXoDMp.png

What do these kind of players go for.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
And I agree moves need to be made I just want them to be 100% sure there the right moves before they make them. And for that I’m willing to be somewhat patient for now. I don’t want them to make a deal just for the sake of making a move to make the fans happy only to have it backfire on them

Unfortunately, there is never a 100% guarantee. That line of thinking is what holds the Oilers back. They just wait and wait for that perfect move. Maybe they find it in another few years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Okay so we spend the assets to bring in pending UFAs, we still miss playoffs and then they walk cause why would the sign here if we miss the playoffs.

Then we no longer have those assets or players. Congrats.

Our team doesn't have the cap room right now to add the kind of players we need to actually be good enough to make a difference. We do in the summer.

If by the end of the summer we signed no players of note or made no trades to help either, then I'll be right there with you.

But spending a bunch of assets on pending UFAs when this team is so massively flawed is a horrible move.

Holland definitely needs to make a move right now but spending high picks right now for pending UFAs is the wrong move. If it's for signed players then I'm there with you.

TLDR: pending UFAs for a team like the Oilers who are far from a good team and have zero cap space requiring us to give up more assets to clear the space is Chiarelli level bad asset management. Making trades is good, if you bring guys in with term

Hall is a different story in that he never wanted to leave Edmonton to begin with and still has several close friends on the team.

So he is not a "regular UFA", the Oilers would have a very reasonable shot at signing him, and if they eeked into the playoffs almost a 100% chance of him wanting to stay.

What's the percentages of the Oilers being able to sign/acquire a player half as good as Hall in the summer without giving up the same 1st round pick that would be the center piece of a Hall trade? Maybe a 10 - 20% chance? If that?

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
From 2015 to 2020 we traded 1 1st round pick, Colorado and Vancouver have traded 0 1st round picks while Arizona has traded 4 1st round picks.

In the 2nd round we traded 2 picks plus gave one to Boston for signing Chia. Vancouver traded 3 picks, Colorado 5 picks and Arizona 6 picks.

Arizona has been the most aggressive in trading picks but how much better are they for it?

We've been the most productive team the past 5 seasons yet we've traded the least 1st/2nd round picks.
I don't see a McDavid on those teams starting from 15/16. This is actually sad and shows how garbage we have been at trying to build any depth.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

The only reason they have more points is because they won a fluke lottery for a golden ticket.

The fact that they keep collecting 1st/2nd round picks and yet are not much better than Arizona, who was obviously bombing to get McDavid, says what about draft picks?

What's the point of having 5000 of them if you're just going to be stuck in the basement with these other teams that were purposefully bombing.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hall is a different story in that he never wanted to leave Edmonton to begin with and still has several close friends on the team.

So he is not a "regular UFA", the Oilers would have a very reasonable shot at signing him, and if they eeked into the playoffs almost a 100% chance of him wanting to stay.

What's the percentages of the Oilers being able to sign/acquire a player half as good as Hall in the summer without giving up the same 1st round pick that would be the center piece of a Hall trade? Maybe a 10 - 20% chance? If that?
Okay and as we have talked about numerous times, he is going to cost at least 10 mill a year which prevents pretty much any other roster improvement and unless you think we are a Taylor Hall away from being a cup contender ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad