Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Pre season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
He’s one of the better 3C’s in the league - low end 2C.

Man what does Ottawa even have left?

Tkachuk-Duchene-Stone
Boedker-Tierney-Ryan
White-Dzingel-Smith
Paajarvi-Pyatt-Gaborik

Chabot-Ceci
Borowiecki-DeMelo
Harpur-Wideman

Anderson
Condon

Jesus. If that roster breaks 65 points I’ll be floored.
"So from that Mendes piece, here are the lines Dorion spoke about:
Dzingel-Duchene-White/Batherson
Tkachuk-Pageau-Stone
Ryan-Smith-Boedker
Pyatt-Chlapik/Brown-McCormick
Chabot-Karlsson
Harpur/Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Wideman
Anderson
Condon"

That was a tweet yesterday. Obviously it changes a bit now

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
The worst part of all of this for me is that they traded their 1st to colorado........

At least when we were where they are now we had the hype of the next big thing....

Now they just get to watch Colorado draft in the top 5 with their pick....

Going to take a long time for the Senators and their fans to recover from this. I really feel for them, we all know what cheering for a team with not a lot of hope of contention in the foreseeable future is like.

Reactions: A91

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
the Sens organization is a mess

-terrible, cheap owner
-terrible arena

-no 1st rounder this upcoming draft for the "re-build" unless SJ missed the playoffs (lol)

but I guess a lot of spare parts and 2nd rounders

tough to believe they were 1 shot away from a Cup final appearance just a year and a half ago...

Just like the Oilers in the latter parts of when Pocklington owned the team.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I think Karlsson will resign in SJ but they will need to do some dancing to make it work. Right now they have $53.7M committed on 10 contracts with no really bad deal to speak of. Assuming a cap of $83.5M that leaves them with less than $30M. Karlsson gets $11M and Pavelski gets $8M and now you have just a hair over $10M to fill 11 roster spots. They also have to resign Timo Meier, Kevin Lablanc and Jonaas Donskoi who together could easily take up $7-8M of that leaving you with no Thornton and maybe $4M with only 15 guys signed. They might have to move both Braun and Dillon to make it work.

Yeah it will be curious to see which way SJ go. Clearly Wilson will have a plan for which players they want to re-sign and who they're comfortable moving on from but a lot can change in a year. Pavelski is 34 and declining slowly, if he only puts up 50-60 points this year he's not getting $8M. Though I find that doubtful given they've got Burns AND Pavelski now to push the offense.

Here's some perhaps unlikely hypothetical questions: What if Karlsson won't re-sign in San Jose? Do they trade him at the deadline or go for it? If they trade him, given the conditional picks (see link below) they are better off trading in the West unless an Eastern team throws in an extra 1st rounder. So who would/could the Sharks trade him to? Apparently Dallas, Vegas and St. Louis all showed interest in Karlsson previously, though it's doubtful Wilson trades him to divisional rival Vegas. St. Louis has money coming off the books on the blueline after this year and Dallas has Spezza's $7.5M AAV deal expiring after this year too so they would both have room for him.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Senators are like voodoo. They tend to do the opposite of whatever I think they will from year to year.

I think they look like complete garbage so they'll probably find a way to make the playoffs.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Senators are like voodoo. They tend to do the opposite of whatever I think they will from year to year.

I think they look like complete garbage so they'll probably find a way to make the playoffs.
And we'll probably lose to them every time we play them again this year just for lulz.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
What a shitty trade man, I would have traded that junk for 1 year of Karlsson no friggen problem RIP Sens.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
If you draft and develop, you'll generally end up with a few of those big fish. .

Yeah as I said earlier: you can get them if you pick high or get lucky. We've nailed the first part, the second not so much. Someone already in the system is gonna have to go nuclear or we're S.O.L. It's going to take a long time and a ton of luck for this team to rise above "also ran" status, even if it does finally make it to perennial playoff team status.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I agree its nasty. But Nashville had prime versions of Suter, Weber and a young Josi and could not make the playoffs because they had no forwards. Obviously the SJ trio is better offensively by a lot and I'd take them right now over the Nashville trio back then. , but that Nashville threesome was much better defensively as a group even with Vlasic. Plus Beardzo will be 34 next year so the window is not that long.

Vlasic-Braun is the premier shutdown pairing in the league so I'm not sure the Preds group was much better defensively or better at all.
On paper, this is one of the best top 4's that I've ever seen. Premier shutdown pairing and probably the two best offensive Dmen all on one team.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yeah it will be curious to see which way SJ go. Clearly Wilson will have a plan for which players they want to re-sign and who they're comfortable moving on from but a lot can change in a year. Pavelski is 34 and declining slowly, if he only puts up 50-60 points this year he's not getting $8M. Though I find that doubtful given they've got Burns AND Pavelski now to push the offense.

Here's some perhaps unlikely hypothetical questions: What if Karlsson won't re-sign in San Jose? Do they trade him at the deadline or go for it? If they trade him, given the conditional picks (see link below) they are better off trading in the West unless an Eastern team throws in an extra 1st rounder. So who would/could the Sharks trade him to? Apparently Dallas, Vegas and St. Louis all showed interest in Karlsson previously, though it's doubtful Wilson trades him to divisional rival Vegas. St. Louis has money coming off the books on the blueline after this year and Dallas has Spezza's $7.5M AAV deal expiring after this year too so they would both have room for him.

SJ has to be all in unless they are out of the playoffs at the deadline. This is an aging team that now has a very sketchy prospect pool.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I feel bad for Sens fans. Terrible trade. Karlsson probably wouldnt sign an extension so the value was always going to be less. I know people are going to blame Dorion, but you can tell Melynk has his fingers in everything. Basically any trades with Ottawa never have any salary coming back. Ottawa cant even properly rebuild because they dont have their first round pick which is likely going to be Jack Hughes at this rate (to Colorado). That trade for Duchene was so unbelievably bad. They will probably lose Duchene in Free Agency this year to boot.

This sucks for the pacific division. After free agency, I was thinking ... that none of the other teams in the pacific really improved. Calgary is kind of debatable depending on how you view Hamilton vs Hanifin. But in the last week SJ and Vegas have improved (at least for this coming year).

Will be tough for the Oilers to make the playoffs.

Reactions: Aerchon

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Vlasic-Braun is the premier shutdown pairing in the league so I'm not sure the Preds group was much better defensively or better at all.
On paper, this is one of the best top 4's that I've ever seen. Premier shutdown pairing and probably the two best offensive Dmen all on one team.

The point was that you probably don't have Vlasic/Braun anymore. At least not as the prime time combo. Burns and Karlsson probably eat up close to 48-50 minutes on their own. So their is not much room left for a pair that does not have one of those two on it. And for cap reasons they may not be able to keep Braun as they could have $26-27M tied up in their top 3. Plus at the time Suter was probably the top defensive defenseman in the league. Vlasic is certainly at that level and Karlsson's skills in his own end can be debated but Burns is no where near as good as either a prime Weber or even a young Josi in his own end. (And I say that even though I'd love to have Burns.)

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I feel bad for Sens fans. Terrible trade. Karlsson probably wouldnt sign an extension so the value was always going to be less. I know people are going to blame Dorion, but you can tell Melynk has his fingers in everything. Basically any trades with Ottawa never have any salary coming back. Ottawa cant even properly rebuild because they dont have their first round pick which is likely going to be Jack Hughes at this rate (to Colorado). That trade for Duchene was so unbelievably bad. They will probably lose Duchene in Free Agency this year to boot.

This sucks for the pacific division. After free agency, I was thinking ... that none of the other teams in the pacific really improved. Calgary is kind of debatable depending on how you view Hamilton vs Hanifin. But in the last week SJ and Vegas have improved (at least for this coming year).

Will be tough for the Oilers to make the playoffs.
Karlsson's mini-presser did indicate that he didn't want to sign an extension, and that was probably known the whole time by teams, hence Heiskanen and Sergachev off the table. He wants to see how the team and city is a fit for him and his family.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Karlsson's mini-presser did indicate that he didn't want to sign an extension, and that was probably known the whole time by teams, hence Heiskanen and Sergachev off the table. He wants to see how the team and city is a fit for him and his family.

Yeah I dont blame him but at the end of the day player who is a UFA isnt going to have as much value unless they are extended. Ottawa probably should of just traded him at the trade deadline in hindsight, because they would of got more value since a team would get him for 2 playoffs. But you can realize why they didnt because they were probably hopeful that he would resign.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The point was that you probably don't have Vlasic/Braun anymore. At least not as the prime time combo. Burns and Karlsson probably eat up close to 48-50 minutes on their own. So their is not much room left for a pair that does have one of those two on it. And for cap reasons they may not be able to keep Braun as they could have $26-27M tied up in their top 3. Plus at the time Suter was probably the top defensive defenseman in the league. Vlasic is certainly at that level and Karlsson's skills in his own end can be debated but Burns is no where near as good as either a prime Weber or even a young Josi in his own end. (And I say that even though I'd love to have Burns.)

That's fair. I wonder how DeBoer will deploy them at even strength and on the PP . So many toys to play with.
I'm assuming that the Vlasic-Braun still line up against the top forwards but not sure how there will be enough minutes to go around for all pairings since we could see that pairing, the Karlsson pairing and the Burns pairing all split up at times which is crazy when you think about it.
Will Karlsson and Burns play on the same PP unit or split up into two elite units? So many options that it's ridiculous. Never seen anything like it.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Yeah I dont blame him but at the end of the day player who is a UFA isnt going to have as much value unless they are extended. Ottawa probably should of just traded him at the trade deadline in hindsight, because they would of got more value since a team would get him for 2 playoffs. But you can realize why they didnt because they were probably hopeful that he would resign.
Resign and traded you mean?

Because resigning and staying was not an option, that much was clear from the press-conf. He was not part of the plan going forward for Ottawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad