Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Painted Yourself into a Corner Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I believe that we will have to protect Lucic as a result of his NTC (which will be Limited NTC starting that season). So we would be forced to keep Lucic, McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Nurse, Klefbom, Larsson, and Bouchard. That would leave Yamamoto and Puljujarvi unprotected.

Lucic like Russell is a nmc for the duration but a nmc with a modified ntc in the last 2 years.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I believe that we will have to protect Lucic as a result of his NTC (which will be Limited NTC starting that season). So we would be forced to keep Lucic, McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Nurse, Klefbom, Larsson, and Bouchard. That would leave Yamamoto and Puljujarvi unprotected.

Cap Friendly shows he has a NMC as well as a modified NTC where he submits lists where he can be traded. Either way, he has to be protected unless he waives the NMC.

However, he can be bought out.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008

This is literally three years away right now. By then, I'm sure one of Bouchard, yams or pool will be the new whipping boy. JP is almost there already.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Cap Friendly shows he has a NMC as well as a modified NTC where he submits lists where he can be traded. Either way, he has to be protected unless he waives the NMC.

However, he can be bought out.
Praying for another round of compliance buyouts for Lucic and Sekera.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lucic won't be here 3 years from now, not worried about that. It's still a problem for the Oilers because we want to have more than 4 good forwards in 2 years time no matter what.

Presumably the plan is to at some point soon not be a pretender squad with McDavid. We need to be a legit good team soon that means having more than 4 worthwhile forwards sooner than later.

Whether that means having both Yamo and Pulju pan out or having to acquire another good forward like Stone or Duchene, one of the two has to happen and that causes a problem if you have to protect 4D.

Last edited:

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
If somehow the Oilers could get Panarin and not give up:

McDavid, Drai, Nuge, Klef, Nurse, and Larsson then I feel like we could be a sneaky playoff team.

McDavid & Nuge On Top line
Drai and Panarin on the 2nd (would be absolutely sick). Panarin is also an unreal transition player meaning he’d mitigate to a degree having weak puck movers on the backend.

Also I know Panarin probably wouldn’t sign and extension with us but I wouldn’t mind him as a rental (assuming reasonable cost to acquire). Dream would be get him, he loves playing on a team with McD...loves having Drai Centre him and he decides to sign on long term with us (think Paul George in the NBA)

Reactions: Aerrol

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
9 games but that only matters if it happens in 2021.

If the draft is 2020 like everyone expects, Bouch is exempt even if we keep him up this year.
I think that 20/21 is the potential lockout year so if there's a chance that happens I bet they'll delay Seattle. Terrible way to start into a new market with a work stoppage.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think that 20/21 is the potential lockout year so if there's a chance that happens I bet they'll delay Seattle. Terrible way to start into a new market with a work stoppage.
I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I don't think there is much risk of a work stoppage this time. The first time we had a work stoppage, it was to introduce the cap, which was a massive blow to the NHLPA. The second time, it was not a whole lost season, and that one involved getting the players getting a far smaller percentage of earnings than before.

The league's basically won and won completely already. The league has already given offers to the NHLPA to extend the existing deal (if I recall, it was to allow players to go to the olympics). Perhaps the NHLPA has some gripes this time, but I genuinely believe that the league is far more willing to have a work stoppage than the players are. The players might demand some re-jiggering of the esgrow system but that problem is not so dramatic that it would nix a season.

But hey, that's not a guarantee. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the CBA would be renegotiated as part of Seattle expansion deal. The NHLPA enjoys having more teams in the league so it's a compelling strategy.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If somehow the Oilers could get Panarin and not give up:

McDavid, Drai, Nuge, Klef, Nurse, and Larsson then I feel like we could be a sneaky playoff team.

McDavid & Nuge On Top line
Drai and Panarin on the 2nd (would be absolutely sick). Panarin is also an unreal transition player meaning he’d mitigate to a degree having weak puck movers on the backend.

Also I know Panarin probably wouldn’t sign and extension with us but I wouldn’t mind him as a rental (assuming reasonable cost to acquire). Dream would be get him, he loves playing on a team with McD...loves having Drai Centre him and he decides to sign on long term with us (think Paul George in the NBA)

I don't think he's going to sign for anything less than $10M.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
He may be sitting out next year if thats his plan. Can't imagine a team offering more than 9. Kucherov just got 9.5 and was 2nd only to McDavid in points last year.

I think the Islanders would pay him 10 million to play with Barzal.

Habs would pay him 10 million to make themselves relevant in the East again.

Devils have lots of cap space.

Panarin will get his number.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
He may be sitting out next year if thats his plan. Can't imagine a team offering more than 9. Kucherov just got 9.5 and was 2nd only to McDavid in points last year.

Kucherov wasn't an unrestricted free agent.

Tavares is at 11, Eichel at 10 it's not a big stretch for a point per game winger to get 10.

Hell depending on how much the cap goes up and if you believe Tavares took a discount Panarin ay 11 million per isn't out of the question.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
I don't think he's going to sign for anything less than $10M.

Yeah it will be around that #. He’s hell of player though. So so fast. Amazing stick handler. He’s a right shot clone of Patrick Kane.

I always thought Panarin was getting carried by Kane with the Hawks. But Panarin is legit good. He’s proven that with Clb. He’s elevated anyone he plays with.

I remember that Columbus game last year when McDavid scored 100. McDavid and Panarin were just on another level compared to anyone else on the ice. Everything goes through both of them.

I feel Panarin would be the closest version of Hall. Both grab the puck in the defensive zone and carry it into the offensive zone and setup scoring chances by themselves. I just think he’d be the perfect winger for Drai.

We could finally have two legit scoring lines again

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This is literally three years away right now. By then, I'm sure one of Bouchard, yams or pool will be the new whipping boy. JP is almost there already.

You don't become a whipping boy in Edmonton until you sign a big contract. Right now it's Lucic, once he gets traded it will be Draisaitl. JP is safe until he starts making over 4 million a year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You don't become a whipping boy in Edmonton until you sign a big contract. Right now it's Lucic, once he gets traded it will be Draisaitl. JP is safe until he starts making over 4 million a year.
Draisatl is the current whipping boy and Lucic is the darling because.... reasons.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Eh... Seattle will maybe prefer to chance the work stoppage. The problem is if the CBA negotiation goes like it did in 2012/2013, and there is a truncated season with a brief compliance buyout window, Seattle is absolutely screwed for pressuring teams into moves like Vegas got to.

Also, I actually DON'T expect a lockout this time. I think the NHL is going into this preparing to make a fake concession for Olympics guarantees (they want to be in China) and reform to escrow and in turn will pressure for shorter term contracts. I don't see an issue as singularly contentious here as a hard salary cap or a huge shift in revenue share like the last two negotiations.

huh? by whom?

A handful of people are rightly happy with Lucic's general level of play while wishing Draisaitl was bringing more shift to shift. Drai is hardly the whipping boy and Lucic is far from everyone's favorite player, but whatevs.

Reactions: LTIR

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
The entire 2016 free agent class will be compliance bought out. If there was ever a day for a GM to turn the phone off and go golfing it was July 1st 2016.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He’s making plays getting chances and being physical. Mostly what we signed him for. Production will come if he keeps getting chances the way he is.

About 30 points. 6mil. This contract is right there next to Eriksson, Ladd, Backes, etc

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
About 30 points. 6mil. This contract is right there next to Eriksson, Ladd, Backes, etc
I’d rather have Looch than any of those guys because whether people like it or not he is a feared presence. Guys on this team barely even get looked at the wrong way, especially 97 and 93. Eriksson literally does nothing, no value just a pathetic excuse for an athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad