Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Oilers Looking at Lawson Crouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
I wouldn’t mind Fleury but I don’t know how the money makes sense

even if Chicago retains we have to move out some dollars and I don’t think Koski goes the other way with out giving up major prospects and/or picks

Am I wrong thinking LTR cap relief isn’t available until the trade deadline?

Curious what others think…..

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

even if Chicago retains we have to move out some dollars and I don’t think Koski goes the other way with out giving up major prospects and/or picks

You trade Koskinen ++ for Fleury at 50%, the cap works just fine.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
not arguing but I’m not sure they would even want Koski
I mean look at Koskinen's numbers and his contract status, makes sense for them. They get another NHL goalie who they might be able to move for something at the deadline.

I don't like Koskinen, but he can kinda play in the NHL, and his numbers 'look' really good.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
I mean look at Koskinen's numbers and his contract status, makes sense for them. They get another NHL goalie who they might be able to move for something at the deadline.

I don't like Koskinen, but he can kinda play in the NHL, and his numbers 'look' really good.

I agree but they could just wait and take a shot at Koski in the off season and not have a couple years of retained salary

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

I believe we have some room to add with LTIR hits.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Koskinen is a pending UFA and Fleury is a pending UFA (who probably has a better than 80% of retiring after this season)... why wouldn't Chicago trade him for an asset that the Oilers throw their way?

It makes sense for both sides... of course that's unless Chicago makes a miraculous recovery and is in a playoff spot at the deadline... but I never had them pegged as a playoff team in the 1st place this year... and now the canyon they have to dig themselves out of is likely too deep anyway.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Friendly reminder of Kosk's 15 team NTC, and his wife and two kids just finally moved over and settled in.

There are no reports that Holland has asked for the 15 team list.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Friendly reminder of Kosk's 15 team NTC, and his wife and two kids just finally moved over and settled in.

I've heard that some players submit their list before the season, but then you hear reports of teams asking the player for their list at the deadline, during the summer, etc. Not sure how that actually works.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

f***ing Chiarelli.

As if the dollar value and term weren't enough, had to add a NTC as well because of? I'm not sure. You would think that the $ and the years would be enough for him to sign without throwing a god damn clause in that limits our ability to move him. I really wish I could be a fly on the wall when that deal was being discussed on our side because it is so insanely illogical from every perspective that I'm truly intrigued how a group of people that supposedly are qualified to run a pro hockey organization could have decided that this was a good deal.

Reactions: TB12

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Even with a 15 team list... if say Chicago and Arizona are on his no trade list... there will be enough other teams out of the playoff picture at the deadline that you would be able to throw them an asset to take on a month of Koski's expiring contract... so if there's the will to do it there's certainly a way to do it. Koskinen might even waive that clause if he knows his time in Edmonton is up anyway.

That's of course if the Oilers do want to upgrade in net.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I believe we have some room to add with LTIR hits.
LTIR cap hit doesn’t change.

say if we have 2m in regular cap space at the deadline, we can add a 10m contract roughly, if we have 2m in LTIR space we can add a 2m contract

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
I've heard that some players submit their list before the season, but then you hear reports of teams asking the player for their list at the deadline, during the summer, etc. Not sure how that actually works.

There are modified NTC's that require the player submit the list within 48 hours of being asked, but I don't know if that's the case here. I don't think the contract details were released.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
f***ing Chiarelli.

As if the dollar value and term weren't enough, had to add a NTC as well because of? I'm not sure. You would think that the $ and the years would be enough for him to sign without throwing a god damn clause in that limits our ability to move him. I really wish I could be a fly on the wall when that deal was being discussed on our side because it is so insanely illogical from every perspective that I'm truly intrigued how a group of people that supposedly are qualified to run a pro hockey organization could have decided that this was a good deal.

It's pretty clear from the Manning trade that in the "final days" Chiarelli was simply trolling the team... seeing what he could get away with and the Koskinen contract was just another wild one that got through. Maybe he was pissed that he was essentially pushed towards the Reinhart deal without wanting to do it and that made everyone around the league think... "what a goofy GM Chiarelli is"... and in the end days he just said f*** it... here's some more garbage as my rep is screwed league-wide anyway.

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
f***ing Chiarelli.

If I remember correctly, I don't remember which insider; but, it was said Oilers brain trust didn't even know a Koskinen contract was being signed, at the end of his term he was keeping all the information to himself and wasn't asking for permission or opinions.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Even with a 15 team list... if say Chicago and Arizona are on his no trade list... there will be enough other teams out of the playoff picture at the deadline that you would be able to throw them an asset to take on a month of Koski's expiring contract... so if there's the will to do it there's certainly a way to do it. Koskinen might even waive that clause if he knows his time in Edmonton is up anyway.

That's of course if the Oilers do want to upgrade in net.

Yup, if I was his agent I'd be on the horn to see who's interested in signing him for next year.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's pretty clear from the Manning trade that in the "final days" Chiarelli was simply trolling the team... seeing what he could get away with and the Koskinen trade was just another wild one that got through. Maybe he was pissed that he was essentially pushed towards the Reinhart deal without wanting to do it and that made everyone around the league think... "what a goofy GM Chiarelli is"... and in the end days he just said f*** it... here's some more garbage as my rep is screwed league-wide anyway.

Chiarelli acted like a typical GM in a death spiral. He made poor trades with impaired judgement that the end was near in his Oilers tenure. The dead man walking GM playbook is pretty consistent.
  • Panic move 1: fire the coach.
  • Panic move 2 when that inevitably fails: start trading for perceived immediate help - either roster players or with prospects.
  • Panic move 3: his keys to the building are changed and GM is invited to watch future NHL games from his tv at home.
Chiarelli was a hands-on GM who insisted upon the executive title as well following being pushed out the door in Boston. He insisted upon the autonomy to run the team as he saw fit. He made the Reinhart trade trying to fast track this franchise's development after falling into the golden goose of drafting Connor McDavid. Chiarelli's on record about discussing the deal with Snow for a month or so leading up to the draft. Had live AHL viewings of Reinhart and Memorial Cup as well. This was Chiarelli's deal without doubt some positive support and influence by Oiler management types who had seen the player going back to bantam scouting days. Chiarelli pulled the trigger and blew it.

After his panic trade moves, he incredibly still had autonomy to sign Koskinen to a big money, multi-year deal with no trade provisions as the fairly dust on a sole contractor negotiation.

Unlike your scenario, amazingly enough, one of the NHL's better GM's thought enough of Chiarelli to bring him into the St. Louis organization that was on its way to being a Cup contender. So it appears Chiarelli maintained a reasoned reputation among his NHL peers despite the classic failing GM playbook he executed which by his last days left this team expensive, shitty, and with no NHL roster depth.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
It's pretty clear from the Manning trade that in the "final days" Chiarelli was simply trolling the team... seeing what he could get away with and the Koskinen contract was just another wild one that got through. Maybe he was pissed that he was essentially pushed towards the Reinhart deal without wanting to do it and that made everyone around the league think... "what a goofy GM Chiarelli is"... and in the end days he just said f*** it... here's some more garbage as my rep is screwed league-wide anyway.
The last year was so outrageous you wonder if it was done in spite. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad