Speculation: Rumors and Proposals Thread II | Gryba on a PTO & Contract Discussions with Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
People keep saying this, but aside from snagging Crouse who isn't going to be a star player, and getting poor value to take on the Dastyuk contract what has he really done? Trade a 5th round pick for a similar Dman to Sekera and signed him until he's 36?

Trade for Datsyuk's salary to hit the cap floor to move up to draft Jakub Chychrun.

Move a second rounder to grab recent 1st round offensive defenseman Anthony DeAngelo.

IMO grab a borderline 1st round talent Cam Dineen in the third round.

That being said, I can't see them grabbing Trouba. They don't have the pieces to do so. With our depth on the left side, we could outbid them.

If he's not signed by December 15th he is ineligible to play for the rest of the year.

Pretty sure it's December 1st.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
We didn't trade Nurse for Hamilton, do you really think we will trade him for Trouba?

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
People keep saying this, but aside from snagging Crouse who isn't going to be a star player, and getting poor value to take on the Dastyuk contract what has he really done? Trade a 5th round pick for a similar Dman to Sekera and signed him until he's 36?

Smart money is due to the fact he can easily offer up Murphy or Stone without batting an eye. He's snagged DeAngelo, loaded up his prospects with Crouse, Dineen, Chychrun and Keller, an impressive haul of young players by any standard. And yes, much like the Oilers have, he did lock down a top-end veteran defenceman longterm. I'm not saying he's the second coming or anything, just that he is making the future much brighter for his team, he's apparently in on Trouba, and is aggressive enough to make it happen.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Trade for Datsyuk's salary to hit the cap floor to move up to draft Jakub Chychrun.

Move a second rounder to grab recent 1st round offensive defenseman Anthony DeAngelo.

IMO grab a borderline 1st round talent Cam Dineen in the third round.

That being said, I can't see them grabbing Trouba. They don't have the pieces to do so. With our depth on the left side, we could outbid them.

Pretty sure it's December 1st.

You forget he also traded a 2nd rounder in that Datsyuk trade to move up 4 spots. Thats about what it would cost to much up those 4 spots on its own, so he basically got no value for taking Datsyuk. Admittedly I forgot about the Deangelo pickup, but he gave a high second for a recent late first rounder. As someone who saw a decent amount of Deangelo in jr, I will admit he has some great offensive skills, but he's also one of the worst defending dmen I have ever seen, and a very undisciplined head case. His size certainly isn't going to help him overcome his defensive deficiencies either. As for the drafting thats on team scouting staff so I give him a lot less credit of doing anything special there.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Drouin was under contract was he not? Trouba is not.

Yeah, definitely differences but isn't the end result still kind of the same since he's an RFA? Either play for them, or sit out/sign in the KHL. He's still Jets property (if they make a qualifying offer) even if he's not signed to them as far as I understand it...

This is what I just googled to better understand it:
http://proicehockey.about.com/od/nhlfreeagents/a/Nhl-Restricted-Free-Agents.htm

Also, I agree with Spawn. If Chia's not in on this that's just unacceptable given our needs.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
How does Davidson compare to Trouba? Are we better off just keeping Davie?

In my eyes Winnipeg wants a top 4 ready LD, and we want a top 4 ready RD. The deal makes sense. Difference between this and trading Nurse is, Nurse is expantion exempt while Trouba and Davidson are not.

Would we have to add to Davidson?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
We didn't trade Nurse for Hamilton, do you really think we will trade him for Trouba?

Two things Trouba fits a more prototypical Chia style then does Hamilton and second thing is being in the organization for a year now he has a much better grasp of Nurse and what he is capable of. So things can change.

Based on little blurbs from Chia and the coaching staff I still get the impression that they are very high on Nurse. I didn't think Nurse was guaranteed a spot, but it really seems they believe the spot on d is his to lose.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
How does Davidson compare to Trouba? Are we better off just keeping Davie?

In my eyes Winnipeg wants a top 4 ready LD, and we want a top 4 ready RD. The deal makes sense. Difference between this and trading Nurse is, Nurse is expantion exempt while Trouba and Davidson are not.

Would we have to add to Davidson?

Okay, seriously? Would we have to add to Davidson? Are you kidding me? They're going to want Davidson as the add, lol. He does NOT have the kind of value people here seem to think...dude's an older prospect dman who played 30 good games (and maybe 10 great), not a blue chipper yet. If he plays a full season looking as good or better, then we can talk.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You forget he also traded a 2nd rounder in that Datsyuk trade to move up 4 spots. Thats about what it would cost to much up those 4 spots on its own, so he basically got no value for taking Datsyuk. Admittedly I forgot about the Deangelo pickup, but he gave a high second for a recent late first rounder. As someone who saw a decent amount of Deangelo in jr, I will admit he has some great offensive skills, but he's also one of the worst defending dmen I have ever seen, and a very undisciplined head case. His size certainly isn't going to help him overcome his defensive deficiencies either. As for the drafting thats on team scouting staff so I give him a lot less credit of doing anything special there.

I wouldn't say moving up for Chychrun was normal circumstances for moving up. He's a very good prospect. And I agree with your perspective on DeAngelo. He's a mouthpiece and it may hold him back but he's a high-end talent. Chayka rebuilt the prospect depth on defense with a few moves.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Smart money is due to the fact he can easily offer up Murphy or Stone without batting an eye. He's snagged DeAngelo, loaded up his prospects with Crouse, Dineen, Chychrun and Keller, an impressive haul of young players by any standard. And yes, much like the Oilers have, he did lock down a top-end veteran defenceman longterm. I'm not saying he's the second coming or anything, just that he is making the future much brighter for his team, he's apparently in on Trouba, and is aggressive enough to make it happen.

Ok, but moving Stone or Murphy still isn't a massive upgrade for them. They're trading a top 4 D for a top 4 D. Trouba is definitely not a top pairing D at this point.

Crouse trade I give him credit for, he could be a good 2nd or 3rd liner. Dineen he just picked thats as much on scouting as it is him being some genius. Same goes to Chychrun, he inherited that draft pick from past management and traded it with a 2nd to move up 4 spots while taking on Datsyuk. Keller he got because his team was bad, thats like commending Treliving on getting Tkachuk. We'll see if DeAngelo amounts to anything, he has enormous hurdles to overcome to be any sort of impact NHL D.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Regular listeners to Stauffer can vouch for this but he's been hinting for a while that Trouba wants out (since before the draft). And he always circles back to the Avs getting him as Trouba (and his agent) want him to play in Colorado (at least that is what he always speculates).

I hope the Oil get him but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

P.s I know the Avs have EJ and Barrie on the right side which doesn't fit the comments in the Sportsnet article but just posting what Stauffer has said on the matter

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Okay, seriously? Would we have to add to Davidson? Are you kidding me? They're going to want Davidson as the add, lol. He does NOT have the kind of value people here seem to think...dude's an older prospect dman who played 30 good games (and maybe 10 great), not a blue chipper yet. If he plays a full season looking as good or better, then we can talk.

What would you say is a fair offer?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
All the tools. Limited toolbox. I'd be comfortable with the deal.

Me too. Trouba looks to me like Nurse 2 years further along in his hoped for development. Not exactly the same (better offensively, worse than what we'd expect defensively), but pretty close - tough, physical, good skater, big shot. Plus he's a RHD.

I'd be comfortable with something like Nurse + 2nd for Trouba.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I wouldn't say moving up for Chychrun was normal circumstances for moving up. He's a very good prospect. And I agree with your perspective on DeAngelo. He's a mouthpiece and it may hold him back but he's a high-end talent. Chayka rebuilt the prospect depth on defense with a few moves.

He also gave up high picks to grab most of those prospects and none of them are sure things, he really just took prospects a year or 2 further along instead of what he could have grabbed at those spots. The prospect depth was already pretty good from past management, and I figured he could have got more for taking on Datsyuk's contract considering that he gave up a 2nd as well in that deal. I like that he moved up to snag Chychrun, but just don't like the value he got. The Crouse trade is the only one I feel he really got great value on.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
Regular listeners to Stauffer can vouch for this but he's been hinting for a while that Trouba wants out (since before the draft). And he always circles back to the Avs getting him as Trouba (and his agent) want him to play in Colorado (at least that is what he always speculates).

I hope the Oil get him but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

P.s I know the Avs have EJ and Barrie on the right side which doesn't fit the comments in the Sportsnet article but just posting what Stauffer has said on the matter

This was obviously before Barrie was re-uped, too full on the right side like you stated.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Winnipeg values Trouba very highly and while he would be a great fit, the price would also be astronomical. Two names I am sure would interest them are Nurse (young, can step in on left defence) and Puljujarvi (I'm sure they would love to pair him up with Laine long-term).

Would people be willing to part with Puljujarvi if it lands us Trouba? Maybe Fayne and Puljujarvi for Trouba and something else?

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Trouba
Nurse-Davidson

That's the best defence we've seen in a long time. We would lose a marquee young forward but if one of Kassian, Maroon, or Yakupov turns it around, maybe we can afford to? We would have to protect four defencemen in the expansion draft though and if Davidson is for real, we would possibly lose him.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Id part with Nurse for Trouba but I'd dangle Reinhart + 2017 1st initially.

Also the Jets may also want Jesse P instead (to unite him and Laine).

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Id part with Nurse for Trouba but I'd dangle Reinhart + 2017 1st initially.

Also the Jets may also want Jesse P instead (to unite him and Laine).

And we would laugh in their face if they requested Puljujarvi.

I could live with moving Nurse for him, but if Chia could somehow do it without moving Klef/Nurse/Lars I would be much more happy. Not sure how realistic that is though.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Winnipeg values Trouba very highly and while he would be a great fit, the price would also be astronomical. Two names I am sure would interest them are Nurse (young, can step in on left defence) and Puljujarvi (I'm sure they would love to pair him up with Laine long-term).

Would people be willing to part with Puljujarvi if it lands us Trouba? Maybe Fayne and Puljujarvi for Trouba and something else?

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Trouba
Nurse-Davidson

That's the best defence we've seen in a long time. We would lose a marquee young forward but if one of Kassian, Maroon, or Yakupov turns it around, maybe we can afford to? We would have to protect four defencemen in the expansion draft though and if Davidson is for real, we would possibly lose him.

Not a chance I'd move Puljujarvi for Trouba. One is likely going to be a star, while I'm not even convinced that Trouba will ever be a top pairing D, and if he is it won't be a #1.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I'd be okay with Darnell, a lottery protected first and some salary out the door in a Trouba deal. It's going to take a lot because Trouba is a very attractive player. Right side D, physical, offensive upside. Lots of teams want and need a Trouba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad