Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Friedman Reports Optimisim Around 4 Year Adam Larsson Extension

Adam Larsson 4 Year Contract. Your Salary Threshold?

• < $3,000,000

• < $3,250,000

• < $3,500,000

• < $3,750,000

• < $4,000,000

• < $4,250,000

• < $4,500,000

• < $4,750,000

• < $5,000,000

• > $5,000,000

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
He was pretty much a Larsson level guy in Jersey but that's not the point. The point is that it's easier to find guys like Larsson on the open market than it is to find guys like Barrie.
Just look at the division even, every North team has a guy like Larsson. Tanev, Edmundson, Holl, Forbort etc. Larsson might be a bit better, bit worse than some of those guys but all similar players.

The big reason why it's important for the Oilers to re-sign him is because of familiarity and they don't have anybody who can immediately step in so might as well just re-sign him and have one less hole to worry about but he could be replaced if they chose to scour the market.

The Larsson hate hidden in much bla bla!

Larsson is a coreplayer and has had a great season overall, you dont miss him before hes gone!

Hes really respected in the room and loved by the coaches, always out there last minute of a tied or 1 goal leading game.

Remember 16/17 when klef/lars beasting in the playoffs, guys like Larsson level you doesnt replace easily or saving dollar on!

Top 2- 3 in hits and block shots in the whole leuage isnt sexy perhaps but it has a big impact in defending your goalie and crease, think players think twice before they step in the crease if Larsson is out there.

Hockey is contactsport, maybe people want women rules, but then its a new sport!

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Funny. I saw Savard get traded for a 1st+ about a month ago. The ask on Manson was significantly higher. Larsson's younger and better than both.

Right, you can get a cheaper shutdown RD than Larsson, but it will be a solid step down in quality.

I saw Ryan Murray traded for a 5th and Nate Schmidt traded for a 3rd in the summer.

Larsson is barely an upgrade over the Kris Russel's of the world.

Schmidt has a much higher salary than Larsson, and Murray had about the same for a guy who plays perhaps 3/4 of the games.

I don't think you're actually arguing that the Oilers shouldn't pay Larsson $4m because they can just trade for a more expensive version, are you?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The multiple suspensions is not hard evidence and did you watch the video on one of the links I posted?
I've seen the videos. And the suspensions are the exact ones I mentioned in the first post. Several for abuse of officials.

Dude, I live in Ontario and I was very aware of the incidents in question when they occurred. I've watched the player numerous times in person. If the kid was a racist POS, he wouldn't be a popular guy in the locker room.

Unless you're providing things that weren't made public, you're relying on hearsay, which isn't evidence. It's a rumor.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Thoughts and trying to acquire Ghost from Philly if Klefbom isn't coming back?

Nurse, Ghost, Kulikov, Jones on the left

Larsson, Bouchard, Bear and maybe Hamilton on the right.
If we’re paying assets to trade for a Klef replacement I’d like it to be someone that can actually play defense. In that case, we should be looking at a Nate Schmidt type trade where we can squeeze a good player from a team that has to get rid of them, whether that’s for expansion or cap reasons.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
If we are able to move Kassian in the offseason, should we keep Neal for one more season? We may have enough cash to address the majority of our needs.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If we are able to move Kassian in the offseason, should we keep Neal for one more season? We may have enough cash to address the majority of our needs.
It would be a good investment to keep Neal just to avoid the dead cap. Definitely keep him if we don't have direct use for that space, especially because that final year aligns with Nurse's last cheap year, as well as other cheap players like JP. If we buy him out, then the dead cap extends to during the expensive re-signs

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Right, you can get a cheaper shutdown RD than Larsson, but it will be a solid step down in quality.

Schmidt has a much higher salary than Larsson, and Murray had about the same for a guy who plays perhaps 3/4 of the games.

I don't think you're actually arguing that the Oilers shouldn't pay Larsson $4m because they can just trade for a more expensive version, are you?

No I'm arguing it's far harder to replace a player of Barrie's skill set and ability than it is one of Larsson's.

One is 7th in the league in d-man scoring since he's been a full time NHLer and is going to finish 1st in d-man scoring this season. The other is a middling 2nd pair stay at home d-man who has spent as much time as an Oiler being not very good as he has been being a positive contributor for the team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No I'm arguing it's far harder to replace a player of Barrie's skill set and ability than it is one of Larsson's.

One is 7th in the league in d-man scoring since he's been a full time NHLer and is going to finish 1st in d-man scoring this season. The other is a middling 2nd pair stay at home d-man who has spent as much time as an Oiler being not very good as he has been being a positive contributor for the team.

I know what you were arguing, I'm saying that your examples run against your argument, your easy Larsson replacements have a higher cap than he does. Maybe you think having that kind of shutdown presence is less important than having a guy like Barrie. I'm agnostic about that. But "replaceable" isn't really accurate in my opinion. The market isn't going to give you a better deal on that sort of player.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've seen the videos. And the suspensions are the exact ones I mentioned in the first post. Several for abuse of officials.

Dude, I live in Ontario and I was very aware of the incidents in question when they occurred. I've watched the player numerous times in person. If the kid was a racist POS, he wouldn't be a popular guy in the locker room.

Unless you're providing things that weren't made public, you're relying on hearsay, which isn't evidence. It's a rumor.

I don't feel a need to establish what ADA did in junior. His NHL conduct is gross.

Like why is he cursing out his own goalie after a goal against? Who does that?

The Oilers seem to have a good locker room coming together, there seems to be little to gain from adding a player like ADA, and potentially much to lose.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Some guys I'm considering this summer:

- Rakell trade. That Rakell @50% for a 1st+2nd offer on the trade board is the sort of aggressive approach that suits the Oilers next year.

- Silfverberg @50% - he's beat up and overpaid at this point, but if the Ducks want to eat half he might still be useful as a veteran leader with a great playoff resume. I wonder if he'd still be a great big game player if he could be sheltered more. I haven't watched him enough to know. A useful comparison is Hornqvist, who any Panthers fan will tell you was a pivotal add for them in terms of leadership and grit.

- Wennberg would be a nice 3C upgrade. Don't expect him to shoot 20% again, but he's an ace defender and fast transition guy. If the price is anywhere near $2.5m per I'd jump on it.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
No. Neal needs to go.
It would be a good investment to keep Neal just to avoid the dead cap. Definitely keep him if we don't have direct use for that space, especially because that final year aligns with Nurse's last cheap year, as well as other cheap players like JP. If we buy him out, then the dead cap extends to during the expensive re-signs
The difference in cap space would be one season (2024-2025) since 2021-2022 we would still have Neal's contract ($5,750,000) on the books. In 2021-2022, we would have $3,833,333 less cap space. While in 2024-2025, we would have an extra $1,916,667.

If we were able to trade away Kassian, the impact on 2021-2022 will only be $633,333 less cap space while still having no dead cap space in 2024-2025

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The difference in cap space would be one season (2024-2025) since 2021-2022 we would still have Neal's contract ($5,750,000) on the books. In 2021-2022, we would have $3,833,333 less cap space. While in 2024-2025, we would have an extra $1,916,667.

If we were able to trade away Kassian, the impact on 2021-2022 will only be $633,333 less cap space while still having no dead cap space in 2024-2025
That $3.8m is far more valuable for financial flexibility in 2021-22 and 2022-23 in a likely flat cap scenario than the $1.9m in 2023-24 and 2024-25, when the cap rises in all likelihood.

Neal brings very little to the table in any aspect. His salary on the books for another season just wouldn't make sense.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Maybe goals per dollar will be a good way to compare the 2 players because I don't think Bouch will be top 10 in D scoring next year.

The thing is that both are weak defensively but strong puck movers and offensive defensemen. Bouch is IMO = Barrie in terms of passing, I would honestly give Bouch the edge here but would be called a Bouch Homer. Barrie IMO is probably better at jumping into the play, Bouch has a better wrister, one timer and slapper, so the shooting parts of their games goes to Bouch. Bouch is bigger and stronger than Barrie is. This is how I would compare them:

Bouchard is better at these skills/has an advantage because:
Shooting: slapper, wrister and onetimer
Strength and size
Straight line skating speed
Moving the puck quickly/making quick decisions with the puck

Saw off: Passing

Barrie is better at these skills/has an advantage because:
Jumping up into the play
Experience (there is no substitute for it and Bouch won't get it until he plays more)
Agility, Barrie isn't as fast as Bouch is but he can change directions quicker

So as I see it we have a guy that could be at least as good as Barrie that simply needs opportunity, experience and time to get there. Both players need a strong defensive partner and skilled forwards to play with to maximize their strengths.

If there's a concern about throwing Bouchard into the deep end (though I can't imagine a better situation for a young D to go into than playing with the human cheat code), run him on PP1 and roll Bear or Larsson as your 5v5 options.

Agreed and only put him out on O zone starts if you really want to shelter him.

Reactions: TheNumber4

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
The thing is that both are weak defensively but strong puck movers and offensive defensemen. Bouch is IMO = Barrie in terms of passing, I would honestly give Bouch the edge here but would be called a Bouch Homer. Barrie IMO is probably better at jumping into the play, Bouch has a better wrister, one timer and slapper, so the shooting parts of their games goes to Bouch. Bouch is bigger and stronger than Barrie is. This is how I would compare them:

Bouchard is better at these skills/has an advantage because:
Shooting: slapper, wrister and onetimer
Strength and size
Straight line skating speed
Moving the puck quickly/making quick decisions with the puck

Saw off: Passing

Barrie is better at these skills/has an advantage because:
Jumping up into the play
Experience (there is no substitute for it and Bouch won't get it until he plays more)
Agility, Barrie isn't as fast as Bouch is but he can change directions quicker

So as I see it we have a guy that could be at least as good as Barrie that simply needs opportunity, experience and time to get there. Both players need a strong defensive partner and skilled forwards to play with to maximize their strengths.

Agreed and only put him out on O zone starts if you really want to shelter him.
If only we could have played the guy to see where he actually is. Tippett should have been giving him atleast 30 games this year if Holland suspected Barrie was going to test free agency there was no reason not to do it other than Tippett being difficult.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
If only we could have played the guy to see where he actually is. Tippett should have been giving him atleast 30 games this year if Holland suspected Barrie was going to test free agency there was no reason not to do it other than Tippett being difficult.
Wild take here but I suspect Tippets desire to win games played a part.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I'm very excited for Bouchard to get his chance next season, the makings of a truly great player are there.

I also hope Leon can get a chance to talk/work with him this summer. When Drai was drafted his skating was a big question mark, now its a strength and he is an MVP caliber player. Bouchard's size, shot, passing and hockey IQ (particularly offensive) are skills that can't be learned (at least not in 1 summer), but skating can be improved quickly.

Also lets not forget Bouchard has been practicing with the team this entire year, getting to learn firsthand from one of the league's best offensive defensemen in Barrie could be invaluable information for a guy like Bouchard who is looking to carve out a similar role for his NHL career

Feb 9, 2013
Yes Holland put the short term and winning now ahead of long term better team. Barrie should have been gone at the deadline and Bouchard occasionally playing,

What part of being in the playoffs are you missing? Bouchard doesn't replace Barrie this year ... not from a skill or impact standpoint.

Seriously, what team trades its veteran players heading into the playoffs, with the expectation of playing rookies?

That's a move for rebuilding teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad